Cheap flights from the UK - good deals to be had by booking up now

ukrules

Someone I know just booked a flight from BHX in the UK to BKK for an early December to the end of January 7 week trip.

She's flying out early December 2014 and returning at the end of January 2015 - the total price of the flight was less than £500, this avoids the real peak rush of the high season by flying before it really gets going and returning after it starts to slow down again.

I've paid £900 for the same flight before from March - September and this was a couple of years ago so there's real some bargains to be had right now on Expedia if you're planning ahead for the winter high season - just get the dates right and you can save some money.

These low fares are surprising because the departure tax rates have increased by huge amounts over the years.

The last time I got a flight from the UK to Thailand for around £500 or less was something like 18 or 19 years ago and £500 back then was worth a lot more than £500 is today. That long ago you could only really get this kind of price on airlines like Aeroflot which were very cheap at the time.

These low fares are surprising because the departure tax rates have increased by huge amounts over the years.

The last time I got a flight from the UK to Thailand for around £500 or less was something like 18 or 19 years ago and £500 back then was worth a lot more than £500 is today. That long ago you could only really get this kind of price on airlines like Aeroflot which were very cheap at the time.

I must say, I know people that were flying for 350 only 10 years ago and 425 last year.........500 isnt that cheap considering she is missing peak holidays. Which airline and is BHX Birmingham? Not trying to be negative but flights havnt hardly increased either way except for the extra departurte tax. All you need to do is check daily websites and book in advance which is what your friend has done as being in August.

I did a 3 weeker leaving 17th June just gone at £402 with a Middle East carrier.........

Same flights on for September at around £440

I must say, I know people that were flying for 350 only 10 years ago and 425 last year.........500 isnt that cheap considering she is missing peak holidays. Which airline and is BHX Birmingham? Not trying to be negative but flights havnt hardly increased either way except for the extra departurte tax. All you need to do is check daily websites and book in advance which is what your friend has done as being in August.

Yes, BHX is Birmingham which is local to where she lives and the airline is Lufthansa. I did the same route 2 years go when it cost me £900 on an end of March to the end of September flight which was also with Lufthansa.

A return flight with them from Birmingham to Frankfurt costs £150-200 on it's own so I'd regard anything less than £500 as quite a bargain to go all the way to Bangkok from an airport like Birmingham.

Prices can be much cheaper from London or even some of the other bigger airports but it depends on the airline, not everyone wants the hassle of going to London when there's an international airport which you can drive to in about 20 minutes even during the daytime.

Edited by ukrules

Why do you consider the low fares from the UK to Thailand surprising. Thailand is known as a leisure route resulting in majority of punters looking

for the cheapest price. The 3 MEA have all contributed to the present market especially when you see the number of daily flights they have from their hubs :-

EK - Presently 5 inceasing shortly to 6 a day

EY - 3 per day

QR- 4 per day

Just look at the Europe/Australia market and see how the 3 MEA have changed the previous arrangement between BA/QF - Same is happening

with Thailand. All the European national carriers are struggling on the Europe-Thailand market incl Thai.

• Like 1