'Unusual rice' found at 15 per cent of warehouses

Lite Beer

Theoretical stipulations:

The commodities market demands overages be destroyed to maintain market price. Millions of tons of US wheat are burned every year -- under armed guard. If 'some' of the rice was reintroduced to the poor so they could eat, would it change the market dynamic whatsoever?

No. Ans food wouyld not be wasted.

This has been going on for years, and they are pinning it all on Yingluck, the new Satan. Here government was a bit of a joke, a big bit, but claiming Thaksin and Yingluck invented corruption, graft and payola is just ignorant flag waving.

Go team go!

Well at least they found some rice.

It's nice to see amongst all this doom and gloom someone who looks at the positive side.

He aint consistant. This is a PTP scheme remember.

There is a 15% chance that you would agree with me that if this was a DEM scheme he would only see the doom and gloom.

best give it away ,feed the starving ,half the world getting to fat half starving ,how will we be judged in the future

The state of it, I wouldn't give it to my dog. I do hope Jonathon Head will do an in depth piece on this.

• Like 2

But overseas-buyers will probably be insisting on new-crop rice, if they've any sense at all.

This problem has a long way to go, yet. sad.png

If they had any sense, they would probably avoid Thai rice altogether until this problem is over. Would you trust that some old rice was not mixed in to your order...

There are international goods inspection compagnies that make it their job to guarantee that the shipped goods conform to the ordered quality. At worst they will take a sample from every sack of rice being loaded on ship.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So . . . of the warehouses checked so far, there are inconsistencies with 15% of them . . . which is slightly more than ZERO which is what Yingluck claimed. t this stage, she either:

1. Knew about it and lied about it all on the basis that they'd get elected for another 4 years and could cover it all up.
2. Didn't know about it.

I don't see it gets any simpler than that, and as the person ultimately in charge of it all, she should be held accountable, both legally AND financially. If she knew about it, she lied. If she didn't know, she's an idiot and still responsible.

She would gladly pay the 1 ton of unusual rice at 15% of the warehouses. As we don't know what they mean with unusual and the volume of that unusual rice and the fact that she will have her day in court, lets wait to hear all the facts before playing jury and executioner. If we as a country want to move forward we need to accept the western norm of someone being innocent until proven guilty. If we neglect to follow this principle there will be no justice in the country and thus no future. The modern version of a kangaroo court, the internet, is in danger of destroying the law system, by putting people on trail and finding them guilty without due course of law. Let the court decide if she is guilty or not and if she is guilty let the court decide her punnishment, the same that I expect the courts to do with AV and Suthep in the 2010 clampdown cases.

Where did you get 1 ton of rice from?

We're talking about 15% of ALL warehouses checked so far showing irregularities. And from previous statements we are talking about 1,000's of tons of missing, rotten, illegal rice, not 1 ton.

I have my opinion and I've stated it, but the actual legal process of investigating, charging and convicting where appropriate is ongoing, hardly a kangaroo court.

By finding someone guilty before they are found guilty in a court of law you are turning the forum into a kangaroo court. I was sarcastic about the 1 ton incase you missed it, neither you nor I know the extend of the unusual rice and what it is. You chose to climb on the bandwagon and condem, I chose the the rule of law path.

Where I come from the case would be considered sub judice, for your info :

"In law, sub judice, Latin for "under judgment", means that a particular case or matter is under trial or being considered by a judge or court. The term may be used synonymously with "the present case" or "the case at bar" by some lawyers.

In England and Wales, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Canada, Sri Lanka, South Africa and Israel it is generally considered inappropriate to comment publicly on cases sub judice, which can be an offence in itself, leading to contempt of court proceedings. This is particularly true in criminal cases, where publicly discussing cases sub judice may constitute interference with due process."

Well I have to say I missed your supposed sarcasm, even after reading it repeatedly. However I think your assertion that these comments on TV are some kind of threat to future justice is more than a little silly. The facts are that rice in around 15% of all warehouses checked so far showed irregularities. The 'unusual rice' issue is pretty clear too as there is no way anyone is going to make a mistake of having high quality rice logged as low quality. In one warehouse a couple of days ago more that 2 thirds was missing and more was found to be mixed white rice with broken rice. I don't think you need to be any kind of genius to see the reality of this appalling PTP led scam. Try taking your rose tinted glasses off.

• Like 2