Insurance question when selling my car

vagabond48

I am about to sell my car and I have 1st class insurance which I got the beginning of July. Back in the the US, when I sold my car and cancelled my insurance, I got a pro-rated refund from the insurance company. Here apparently they gouge you when you cancel. I asked the insurance rep if I could transfer the insurance and she said no but my coverage includes any driver so the new owner could continue to use the insurance under my name. Another broker told me that it was not a wise since I could still be held liable for any accident.

My question is here in Thailand, who is responsible for monetary damage beyond the insurance coverage, the owner of the car or the insurance policy holder.

My question is here in Thailand, who is responsible for monetary damage beyond the insurance coverage, the owner of the car or the insurance policy holder.

The registered owner.

Regarding the insurance, in nearly all policies you will find a clause saying that if you cancel you will receive a pro rate refund.

The registered owner.

Regarding the insurance, in nearly all policies you will find a clause saying that if you cancel you will receive a pro rate refund.

Well perhaps Thai define prorated differently than I.

The company has a written schedule for cancelling and refunds in increments of 9 days.

For example if your policy was active for 1 - 9 days, they refund 72%, 20 - 29, 65%, 50 - 59, 59% and so forth.

Should you wish to pass on the insurance to the new owner of your vehicle (FOC or a monetary value) there is a simple process where you inform your Broker of the new owners name / address and copy of passport - the Broker will then (for no charge) arrange for an endorsement from the insurance company stating the new policy holder.

• Like 1

The registered owner.

Well perhaps Thai define prorated differently than I.

The company has a written schedule for cancelling and refunds in increments of 9 days.

For example if your policy was active for 1 - 9 days, they refund 72%, 20 - 29, 65%, 50 - 59, 59% and so forth.

Correct it is done differently and tends to favor the Thai insurance company.