Thaksin Afflicted By World Cup Fever

george

Thaksin afflicted by World Cup fever; will seek treatment in Germany

BANGKOK: -- It's football fever time, and it is a contagion spreading around the world, affecting all levels of society, without respect to social class or job description.

The latest victim in Thailand is Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra who Sunday reported his desire to see the World Cup in person, saying if possible, he would fly to Germany on Friday -- to witness Thai products in action, being worn, or kick about, and to see for himself just how such events are organised.

Mr. Thaksin did not produce a medical certificate, but nonetheless it was clear to independent observers that the caretaker prime minister was seriously afflicted by the dread contagion.

The World Cup virus 2006, which causes sleeplessness, anxiety, extremes of emotion, and uncontrollable physical violence--has led to death in extreme cases--as the virus spread rapidly around the globe, affecting even the more remote locations.

"Products like sports shirts and balls made in Thailand, as well as Thai referees," Mr. Thaksin said, "have [already] gone to the World Cup, so I want to see Thai prime ministers go to the World Cup as well," he affirmed.

Besides his passion, the prime minister said he wanted to see how such a large scale event like the World Cup was organised, and meet the world's leading athletes and sports figures as well as some world leaders attending the event.

Mr. Thaksin said he planned to fly to Germany July 7, but he would cancel his schedule if necessary.

--TNA 2006-07-02

Thaksin afflicted by World Cup fever; will seek treatment in Germany

BANGKOK: -- It's football fever time, and it is a contagion spreading around the world, affecting all levels of society, without respect to social class or job description.

The latest victim in Thailand is Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra who Sunday reported his desire to see the World Cup in person, saying if possible, he would fly to Germany on Friday -- to witness Thai products in action, being worn, or kick about, and to see for himself just how such events are organised.

Mr. Thaksin did not produce a medical certificate, but nonetheless it was clear to independent observers that the caretaker prime minister was seriously afflicted by the dread contagion.

The World Cup virus 2006, which causes sleeplessness, anxiety, extremes of emotion, and uncontrollable physical violence--has led to death in extreme cases--as the virus spread rapidly around the globe, affecting even the more remote locations.

"Products like sports shirts and balls made in Thailand, as well as Thai referees," Mr. Thaksin said, "have [already] gone to the World Cup, so I want to see Thai prime ministers go to the World Cup as well," he affirmed.

Besides his passion, the prime minister said he wanted to see how such a large scale event like the World Cup was organised, and meet the world's leading athletes and sports figures as well as some world leaders attending the event.

Mr. Thaksin said he planned to fly to Germany July 7, but he would cancel his schedule if necessary.

--TNA 2006-07-02

This only occurs for those people who are so obsessed with football that nothing else matters! For the rest of us there are real sports which carry on regardless like Rugby, F1, Motogp........... :D:o

I hope he's got his tickets, all the final matches are sold out!!

HEADLINE - "Prime Minister Thaksin sold fake World Cup ticket by tout. Arrested attempting to bribe his way into the final"

HEADLINE - "Prime Minister Thaksin sold fake World Cup ticket by tout. Arrested attempting to bribe his way into the final"

wasn't me he says

wasn't me he says

A big boy did it and ran away !!! :o:D

He might manage to drink a cup of coffee with Jacques Chirac for 5 minutes, who knows.

:o

And of course, he will get some very good ideas regarding the organization of the next World Cup, that will come to Thailand... In the near future, as we all know.

Thaksin confirms plan to attend World Cup final

Caretaker Premier Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday confirmed his intention to attend the World Cup final in Berlin later this week, hinting that he would be happy to meet any other world leaders attending the sporting event.

Chirac- "Quit poking my ribs, I'm trying to watch the game. How did you get in here anyway?" :D

"As of this moment, I am confirmed to go," Thaksin said Sunday of his plans to watch the final match in Berlin. In the comfort of a hotel room? He never mentioned having tickets...

"I support every team," he said. :o

Thaksin said he would also take the opportunity to meet with any foreign leaders who might be attending the soccer finalepraise2.gif - something domestic critics have said violated diplomatic protocol since he heads a caretaker government.

"Products like sports shirts and balls made in Thailand, as well as Thai referees, have gone to the World Cup, so I want to see Thai prime ministers go to the World Cup as well," Thaksin told the staterun Thai News Agency (TNA). liar.gif

He might even be able to swing a stop over in Switzerland to open a few new bank accounts. Or might possibly work in a trip down to Kenya to check up on that potential hotel investment?

What’s the limit on the amount of baht one can take with them out of Thailand at one time, 50,000 baht? I hope someone searches him and his entourage on the way out.

Maybe he’ll work this like he did the not being the owner of shares bit when he first got elected – just give everyone on the plane 50,000 baht each to carry with them on the way out. Then again I don’t think he would be able to fit enough drivers/gardeners/maids on the plan to make it worthwhile.

Hey, this is a serious addiction. A British co-worker has been so depressed I am afraid we are going to have to put him on a suicide watch!

As a Dr. I am going to try to prevent further problems by prescribing medication for him--take 2 Chang and call me in the morning.

Thaksin cancels plan to attend final World Cup match

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said on Wednesday that he would not attend the final World Cup match in Germany.

He said he would spend the long weekend of four holidays in Thailand instead.

Earlier, he said he would leave Thailand on Friday to attend the match.

Source: The Nation - 5 July 2006

Thaksin cancels plan to attend final World Cup match

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said on Wednesday that he would not attend the final World Cup match in Germany.

He said he would spend the long weekend of four holidays in Thailand instead.

Earlier, he said he would leave Thailand on Friday to attend the match.

Source: The Nation - 5 July 2006

Funny. I thought his going to the world cup (abroad) would have sent a signal out of how secure he felt about his position.

Embattled Thai prime minister Shinawatra flying off to watch World Cup

Canadian Press

Sun, Jul 2, 11:49 AM

ADVERTISEMENT

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) - It seems that nothing will stop Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra from being at the final of the World Cup - not even a deepening political crisis at home.

"As of this moment, I am confirmed to go," Thaksin told reporters Sunday of his plans to watch the final match in Berlin.

"I support every team."

====================================================

Germany fan Thaksin cancels World Cup trip

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Thursday scotched plans to attend the World Cup final in Berlin over the weekend, blaming his change of heart on Germany's loss to Italy.

"I'm not going to see the final match, not after the host lost to Italy 2 to 0," Thaksin told reporters.

He said he would spend the upcoming long weekend marking Buddhist lent in Thailand instead.

It was the fourth time Thaksin has cancelled a planned trip to Germany since he became prime minister in 2001. On three previous occasions Thaksin had to cancel official trips on account of political uncertainties either in Thailand or in Germany.

Thaksin's fourth cancellation, although the planned World Cup trip was a private one, may also have been linked to politics.

The caretaker prime minister is facing an escalating political crisis at home after he delivered a speech to civil servants on Thursday in which he claimed an unnamed "charismatic" individual with "extra-constitutional powers" was engaged in a plotting against his government.

Various groups have called on Thaksin to name the individual supposedly out to get him, widely believed to be Prem Tinsulanonda, a former prime minister who is currently chairman of the Privy Counsil of Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

Thailand, which has been run by a caretaker government since February 25 when Thaksin dissolved parliament, is gearing up for another general election scheduled on October 15, although there are now doubts it will be held.

Thaksin, either seeking a break from his political woes at home or hoping for some good international publicity, had initially planned to fly to Germany's southern city of Stuttgart on Friday and travel to Berlin for the final World Cup match on Saturday.

The planned trip had been described as "private," with no meetings planned with German government officials.

:o