Is Thailand The Best Place To Retire Or Pristine Singapore?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Singapore is crazy expensive, and stupid boring. Nice city to visit, but not sure why anyone would want to live there. The $7000 annual license plate fee for a car is one aspect of it. I know the public transport is good. But, what about the desire to travel in the region? $88 for a tower of beer, in a local pub? $260 for dinner for four in a seafood court? On my last trip I could not visit the ATM often enough. Blew $3000US, in six days, and I was not exactly living it up, and was traveling with my woman. So, to answer your question if you are wealthy, Singapore could be an option. But, you would need $12,000US per month, to live comfortably there.

Spidermike
Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

The US$12,000/month comment is not true. The vast majority of people spend far less than that and still enjoy a very good life. You were living like a tourist, not a resident. For example, you could get a very nice 1000sq ft condo for US$3-4,000 per month...you would have to be an unbelievable party animal to spend another $8-9k per month on booze, but I suppose if you went out every night you could do it. Drinks are expensive, similar to Las Vegas prices, but I never paid $88 for beer.  I do admit, my alcohol consumption did decline upon first moving there, it was a bit of sticker shock to pay $12 for a beer, so I tended to go drinking less often (saved it for the weekends).

Eppic, yes, let's agree to disagree. Maybe part of where I'm coming from is that my idea of quality is different from yours. Most luxurious Orchard Road condos are charmless aquarium boxes to me and Orchard Road itself a place to be avoided (overpriced, overcrowded, not so great selection, clothes and shoes in my size not available, annoying staff that follows you like a shadow...). Not that i like creaky and drafty, but a lot of those places have a real charm and warmth and are very comfortable if kept in good condition.

As for groceries, do you shop at Dean and Deluca only? If you go to regular supermarkets in Manhattan, things like yoghurt, fruits and vegetables, wine, etc. are much cheaper in Manhattan.

Shopping for clothes, again, much cheaper for what I like to buy. Sales prices in Singapore for brands like Banana Republic, Armani X, j Crew, etc. are often still higher than the regular price in New York. Then there's the online shopping with free shopping and incredible variety.

As for the quality comparisons, another reason why we may have a different impression is that in Singapore I don't find a comparable offering to the my sweet spot in NY. I'm never happier than in a nice casual diner or family restaurant, and there isn't much in Singapore at that level. Either hawker centers or boring inauthentic places like you find on Clarke Quay and where you get charged high prices for mediocre food and service (like bringing your food at different times from your companion).

You actually make some good points. "Quality" is subjective, and if you are looking for anything with charm and character (vs newness and amenities), really at any price, then Singapore is not the place. Really, if you are looking for any character or soul at all, Singapore is the wrong choice. 

As for branded clothes, they are a rip-off in both Thailand and Singapore, so that's pretty much equal. Yes, Armani exchange stuff, for example, can be had for as little as 1/4 the amount if purchased on sale in the U.S.  The difference is, you can have stuff shipped to Singapore (which I often did) and pay not tax below $400 (or 7% above), while in Thailand you pay a ridiculous customs duty and go through bureaucratic nonsense. I had an item sent here only once, will never do it again.

Furniture is much easier to find at a reasonable price in Singapore. It's typically made in Malaysia. In Bangkok, you mostly get the index-style crapola...anything imported is insanely expensive. 

As for booze, wine actually seems cheaper in Singapore (try Wine Connection, for example), but beer and hard liquor are certainly higher...however, imported beer is still stupid expensive in Thailand and I can't stomach the local beers.

Specifically on the "retirement" topic of this thread, I realize that realistically, few would want to retire in S'pore even if they could afford it.  And this being a Thaivisa thread, obviously you will find a majority that would prefer Thailand...but there are some crazy perceptions out there about what it really costs to live well in Singapore. Expensive, yes. Necessary to spend US$12-20/k a month to squeeze by? Hardly.  If you go without a car (not needed anyway), you can get by just fine on US$6k+, I know many, many people that do so....below $5k/month would probably be a struggle, unless you don't mind sharing accommodation and/or living in the "HDB heartland." 

Singapore is run like a corporation, although although some various points here about the rules and fines are very much exaggerated -- I had  only one fine (traffic infraction) imposed in my entire time there, and they let me off with a warning after my girlfriend told me to send a letter pleading ignorance of rules as a new expat.  I am more than happy about the harsh drug law enforcement, loser druggies don't really add much character or charm.

I also know many think Chiang Mai is a great retirement location, but I visited once from S'pore and was bored out my mind, so I never returned.  I am told it has improved in recent years, but call me skeptical. For some, I suppose even Chiang Mai would be considered too busy...Just goes to show you that people have very different ideas on what makes a great retirement location.

Anyway, enough from me on the topic, I expect the troll brigade may soon arrive in force, never far away on TV tongue.png

• Like 1

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In some ways, I don't really get this thread.  If you're wealthy enough to retire (comfortably) in Singapore, then you're wealthy enough to retire pretty much anywhere in the world.  And if you could go anywhere, why on Earth would you go to Singapore?

Geylang.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Singapore is crazy expensive, and stupid boring. Nice city to visit, but not sure why anyone would want to live there. The $7000 annual license plate fee for a car is one aspect of it. I know the public transport is good. But, what about the desire to travel in the region? $88 for a tower of beer, in a local pub? $260 for dinner for four in a seafood court? On my last trip I could not visit the ATM often enough. Blew $3000US, in six days, and I was not exactly living it up, and was traveling with my woman. So, to answer your question if you are wealthy, Singapore could be an option. But, you would need $12,000US per month, to live comfortably there.

Spidermike
Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

The US$12,000/month comment is not true. The vast majority of people spend far less than that and still enjoy a very good life. You were living like a tourist, not a resident. For example, you could get a very nice 1000sq ft condo for US$3-4,000 per month...you would have to be an unbelievable party animal to spend another $8-9k per month on booze, but I suppose if you went out every night you could do it. Drinks are expensive, similar to Las Vegas prices, but I never paid $88 for beer.  I do admit, my alcohol consumption did decline upon first moving there, it was a bit of sticker shock to pay $12 for a beer, so I tended to go drinking less often (saved it for the weekends).

Eppic, yes, let's agree to disagree. Maybe part of where I'm coming from is that my idea of quality is different from yours. Most luxurious Orchard Road condos are charmless aquarium boxes to me and Orchard Road itself a place to be avoided (overpriced, overcrowded, not so great selection, clothes and shoes in my size not available, annoying staff that follows you like a shadow...). Not that i like creaky and drafty, but a lot of those places have a real charm and warmth and are very comfortable if kept in good condition.

As for groceries, do you shop at Dean and Deluca only? If you go to regular supermarkets in Manhattan, things like yoghurt, fruits and vegetables, wine, etc. are much cheaper in Manhattan.

Shopping for clothes, again, much cheaper for what I like to buy. Sales prices in Singapore for brands like Banana Republic, Armani X, j Crew, etc. are often still higher than the regular price in New York. Then there's the online shopping with free shopping and incredible variety.

As for the quality comparisons, another reason why we may have a different impression is that in Singapore I don't find a comparable offering to the my sweet spot in NY. I'm never happier than in a nice casual diner or family restaurant, and there isn't much in Singapore at that level. Either hawker centers or boring inauthentic places like you find on Clarke Quay and where you get charged high prices for mediocre food and service (like bringing your food at different times from your companion).

You actually make some good points. "Quality" is subjective, and if you are looking for anything with charm and character (vs newness and amenities), really at any price, then Singapore is not the place. Really, if you are looking for any character or soul at all, Singapore is the wrong choice. 

As for branded clothes, they are a rip-off in both Thailand and Singapore, so that's pretty much equal. Yes, Armani exchange stuff, for example, can be had for as little as 1/4 the amount if purchased on sale in the U.S.  The difference is, you can have stuff shipped to Singapore (which I often did) and pay not tax below $400 (or 7% above), while in Thailand you pay a ridiculous customs duty and go through bureaucratic nonsense. I had an item sent here only once, will never do it again.

Furniture is much easier to find at a reasonable price in Singapore. It's typically made in Malaysia. In Bangkok, you mostly get the index-style crapola...anything imported is insanely expensive. 

As for booze, wine actually seems cheaper in Singapore (try Wine Connection, for example), but beer and hard liquor are certainly higher...however, imported beer is still stupid expensive in Thailand and I can't stomach the local beers.

Specifically on the "retirement" topic of this thread, I realize that realistically, few would want to retire in S'pore even if they could afford it.  And this being a Thaivisa thread, obviously you will find a majority that would prefer Thailand...but there are some crazy perceptions out there about what it really costs to live well in Singapore. Expensive, yes. Necessary to spend US$12-20/k a month to squeeze by? Hardly.  If you go without a car (not needed anyway), you can get by just fine on US$6k+, I know many, many people that do so....below $5k/month would probably be a struggle, unless you don't mind sharing accommodation and/or living in the "HDB heartland." 

Singapore is run like a corporation, although although some various points here about the rules and fines are very much exaggerated -- I had  only one fine (traffic infraction) imposed in my entire time there, and they let me off with a warning after my girlfriend told me to send a letter pleading ignorance of rules as a new expat.  I am more than happy about the harsh drug law enforcement, loser druggies don't really add much character or charm.

I also know many think Chiang Mai is a great retirement location, but I visited once from S'pore and was bored out my mind, so I never returned.  I am told it has improved in recent years, but call me skeptical. For some, I suppose even Chiang Mai would be considered too busy...Just goes to show you that people have very different ideas on what makes a great retirement location.

Anyway, enough from me on the topic, I expect the troll brigade may soon arrive in force, never far away on TV tongue.png

Great post, very realistic.

#57 <Many of this girls have GREAT bodies, something that I have personally found to be very rare in Thailand>

Either you haven't looked very hard, or you've never been up north.

If you have a strong preference for white skin & variety of nationalities, SG easily beats BKK.

Geylang is a dump.

OP hasn't researched the idea at all, going on his replies.

The average Singaporean monthly wage is far below 12k/month and NO, you don't need that much to live on (unless you want to own a car).

• Like 2

check property prices and rents in "pristine" Singapore and weep! besides, Singapore does not have a retirement option.

Rents for as little as 40 USD/day in Geylang.

Retire by splitting the year 50-50 between SG & LOS....3 months in & out...repeat...in/out...

Geylang is a dump.

OP hasn't researched the idea at all, going on his replies.

The average Singaporean monthly wage is far below 12k/month and NO, you don't need that much to live on (unless you want to own a car).

Dump = RLD

Your garbage is my diamond mine.

I'm still gobsmacked that Singapore is officially rated the most expensive city in the world - more expensive than Tokyo, New York, London, Sydney, Beijing and Hong Kong. More expensive than a city like Zurich - ? 

Basically, if I could afford to live the life I would want in Singapore I could afford to live on Sydney's Northern beaches - no brainer for me. There are sections of Palm Beach where you could easily forget there is a city of some 5 million people somewhere to the south of you.

IMO the women in SG are way hotter. You wont find many like your pic in Sydney, but SG is stuffed full of even more attractive ladies. On the whole much higher quality than BKK too, which i attribute to SG's wealth.  

Edited by oldthaihand99
  • Like 1

As for the "no retirement visa" thing for Singapore, yes this is true, but visa waiver is 90-days for citizens of many countries, and I know many people that stayed for years without a long-term visa. Most people would want to travel out of Singapore more than once every three months anyway, it's a tiny place and island fever does set in.

AFAIK the list of nationalities getting a 90 day social visit pass on arrival is very short. USA is one. Canadians, for example, i've heard, get only 30 days.

As for "staying for years" that may have been possible back in the day. Nowadays it seems things are much stiffer & you'll be quickly given the boot unless you have a valid work permit, a large investment or run a business. Even people with family in SG (parents, husbands, etc)often have a problem with immigration.

All of the above according to my research into the topic.

I live comfortably in SG for under 3k CDN/mo.

But maybe my comfortable does not = yours.

Ever had "frog porridge" in BKK?

As for the "no retirement visa" thing for Singapore, yes this is true, but visa waiver is 90-days for citizens of many countries, and I know many people that stayed for years without a long-term visa. Most people would want to travel out of Singapore more than once every three months anyway, it's a tiny place and island fever does set in.

AFAIK the list of nationalities getting a 90 day social visit pass on arrival is very short. USA is one. Canadians, for example, i've heard, get only 30 days.

As for "staying for years" that may have been possible back in the day. Nowadays it seems things are much stiffer & you'll be quickly given the boot unless you have a valid work permit, a large investment or run a business. Even people with family in SG (parents, husbands, etc)often have a problem with immigration.

I had a PR (US passport), but was lazy and never bothered to renew the reentry permit (5 year expiry), so I was in and out on 90-day waivers for a few years, never had a single question.

My wife, with a UK passport, also stayed a couple of years on 90-day waivers and never had any issue.

I haven't researched the list that can get 90 days, but I do recall one Aussie guy who had problems when his girlfriend tried repeated visa runs to Malaysia.

So, from my personal experience, it is possible to stay for many years on 90-da waivers, but we never did the in/out visa runs, we always went on trips of at least a few days.

Bigger issue in Singapore is actually renting a regular apartment, you can't do that without a visa, and the rule is enforced (agents will check)...immigration would be an issue for many nationalities, especially other SE Asians, but not for US & UK citizens.

• Like 1

Interesting, Oldthaihand99 is right about Canada, 30 days only...seems strange since US and all EU members get 90 days

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Singapore

Citizens of all countries not included in Assessment Level I and Assessment Level II lists are allowed a maximum stay of 30 days without a visa in Singapore, except the holders of the following passports who are allowed to stay for 90 days:

Bigger issue in Singapore is actually renting a regular apartment, you can't do that without a visa, and the rule is enforced (agents will check)...immigration would be an issue for many nationalities, especially other SE Asians, but not for US & UK citizens.

I had a hell of a time finding a hotel to rent for a few months in SG, but did finally find one i was rather satisfied with. I never could find one for HKG, though. Stayed in SG 5 months last year & two so far in 2014.  BTW did you see the renting in SG thread in the SEA forum:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/727677-renting-in-singapore-is-it-really-that-expensive/

In it someone remarked that Geylang has "character", which is something one doesn't often hear associated with SG.

All depends on what you want out of your stay there.

Personally, I wouldn't live in Geylang with my family. I will be renting an apartment in the River Valley Road area, already have the Employment Pass approval. Rent expected to be SG$4.5k to 5k /month.

I will be moving there with my wife and youngest daughter. Sure they wouldn't be impressed with living in Geylang. If sleeze is your thing you are in the right place.

Have previously lived in the following areas of the island over the years = Yishun/Sembawang, Clementi, West Coast, Bishan/Sin Ming.

If the projects go well and my employer is happy with my efforts (more projects in Singapore and throughout SEAsia), I may consider buying an apartment rather than forking out rent.

My friend from England already owns 5 apartments in Singapore, he is 44.

Would still retire to Thailand though, without doubt thumbsup.gif

Edited by soihok

Formula for retiring in Thailand or pristine Singapore: Girl + Guy (with Big Dick and Big Bankroll) x Marriage.

I don't understand your formula.. say I use yourself as an example. Assuming you are just a guy minus the brackets.. do you just go: Girl x Marriage?? or are you multiplying the Guy by whats in the brackets... please explain and maybe redo  the formula.

Thanks

All depends on what you want out of your stay there.

I will be moving there with my wife and youngest daughter. Sure they wouldn't be impressed with living in Geylang. If sleeze is your thing you are in the right place.

Geylang is not only for those who enjoy being teased with legal sleaze. It's also a bargain lovers paradise for all sorts of stuff & the garden of eatin. Many families in Singapore have no problem with being there:

"When evening descends, it's not just the ladies of the night who appear, but families, couples and groups of friends out hunting for a good meal."

http://travel.cnn.com/singapore/none/5-food-picks-geylang-singapore-779422

Depending on which of ten definitions of sleaze one uses, it can be found all over Singapore. You probably wouldn't even notice it in Geylang unless you were in the RLD part of it on purpose, or because you were lost, after 8 p.m.

It's safer there in the middle of the night than many areas of Western countries in broad daylight.

• Like 1

I had a PR (US passport), but was lazy and never bothered to renew the reentry permit (5 year expiry), so I was in and out on 90-day waivers for a few years, never had a single question.

My wife, with a UK passport, also stayed a couple of years on 90-day waivers and never had any issue.

I haven't researched the list that can get 90 days, but I do recall one Aussie guy who had problems when his girlfriend tried repeated visa runs to Malaysia.

So, from my personal experience, it is possible to stay for many years on 90-da waivers, but we never did the in/out visa runs, we always went on trips of at least a few days.

So SG has not yet caught up to Thailand in terms of requiring one get the "right visas"?

Was renewing so difficult to do that it was preferable to leave the country so regularly? Or did you need to leave anyway for work?

I suppose, since you were a PR, immigration was either obligated to let you back in the country, just like they'd do for a citizen, or that somehow put you in a unique class with them, such that they did not consider you as a typical tourist or visitor, or maybe they just liked the nationality of your passport. Certainly being a US citizen makes one special to SG.

When you refer to living in SG on 90 day passes, is this back in the 1990's, 2000's or something more recent? I assume you spent the vast majority of days per year in SG, certainly well over 6 months in 12.

In recent years, say since 2008, i haven't seen any reports that indicate someone could "live" in SG for years on tourist type social visit passes of 30 or 90 days at a time. Nor ever come across a case where a PR was attempting to do so. The longest i've seen reported was for about 20 months, as follows, re my research:

"In one thread (url below) i discovered...an Italian guy did 90 days in & less than 10 days out repeatedly & with no problems over an 18 month period to August 2010. That's at least 5 visa runs & counting, with no end in sight. There is also the more recent case of the Indonesian, mentioned earlier in this thread, who spent 23-28 days in & 7 days out repeatedly over a 20 month period. That's about 20 visa runs. Then there's the Korean who spent more than 50% of his time in SG over 14 months without any issues & was interested in if he could continue doing this. The responses from forum members were quite favorable to that idea."

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic96246-30.html

"I read a number of recent (2011 to 2013) discussions on this site pertaining to regular visits, for up to 20 months, to Singapore on short term (up to 90 day) passes. The one that seemed most relevant to this thread was about a Korean passport holder. He alleged to visit SG 8 times in a 14 month period up to May 2012, including several trips of 60-90 days & others of 30 days, 7 days, etc. So, evidently, he spent over 7 months, or at least 50% of his time, in Singapore in a period over a year without any mention of immigration raising so much as an eyebrow, let alone ever questioning, interogating, warning, limiting, deporting or banning him. He came to visit his GF in SG & left for around a month after each visit."

"A third thread was about an Indonesian repeatedly visiting SG for 23-28 days before exiting for a week to his country. So he was in for 23-28 days & out for a week, over & over again, with no issues, for 20 months, till late July 2011. He claims that he was eventually stopped in SG & deported when he returned from a side trip to BKK for a few days. If SG immigration were so efficient, it is unclear why they allowed this obvious pattern to go on for so long. He details how he was interrogated, couldn't answer questions to immigrations satisfaction & was thrown in with many of the usual types you'd expect to be getting deported; no Koreans, Americans, Brits or any other first world passport holders."

My complete research on the subject is documented at:

US Citizen to use Singapore as a travel hub. Is it possible?
http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic97533-45.html

Multiple entries as a tourist
http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic97004.html

going on visiting pass (90 days) and looking for a job ?
http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic96246-0-asc-15.html
http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic96246.html

re

It cost nothing to smile,gives joy to the receiver and happiness from the giver.Try going back to the west and walk down "main street" and see how many smiles you receive!

i was in camp coffee shop in maya last week playing with / learning my new tab s and i saw two girls of about 14 keep looking at me and talking about me from another table a few feet away

about 5 minits later one came over and said can you tell me what tablet that is please mister so i told her

she asked me a few questions about it and said can i show it to my friend i said yes and gave it to her

she went back to her friend and they played with it as all teens do swiping here and there with lots of laughs and giggles like schoolgirls and 5 minits later she bought it back with the biggest smile ive ever seen and lots of thank you mister thank you mister and said you like cats

so i said yes ... how they found my cat pics file iin that time ive no idea but it didnt matter coz theres nothing bad in my computers

my point .... two schoolgirls in the west would never talk to an old man like me but here its ok and seeing these two laughing and giggling while they played on my tablet made my day smile.png

dave2

where is this place? Singapore or thailand?

The sgd is quite close in value to the aussie. One sing dollar is equal to around 25 thai bht but it's slightly higher and has even gone higher to 26 and due to the political crisis in thailand i figure the bht should be low in value. Anyhow that is about it 1 sgd = 25bht very easy to calculate the value of things. 100 bht is 4 bucks give or take. It's not a cheap place to live in factor that in and housing prices are very expensive compared to the west and so is owning a car due to limited space and there you have it. Factor in the exchange rate and you'll see how much more expensive it is compared to thailand.

Even Singaporeans don't like living in Singapore -  astronomical stress levels.  

vacation - woohoo, let's go - I love it.

Live there? no thanks.

Agreed its a great place for a 5-7 day vacation. The thing that I've noticed most that has changed in Singapore is that it is so much more crowded than it used to be 25 years ago.even going on the MRT used to be pretty relaxing, now people are crammed in. Not exactly sure how much more population there is now, but it isn't a big place, and it just seems more hemmed in.

Their hoping to fit in 6.9 million and recent talks have come up with a projected 10 million ppl. Since the birth rate of singapore is pretty low the ppl making up the 6-7 million will be totally foreign born. Does this sound like some western countries to you?

check property prices and rents in "pristine" Singapore and weep! besides, Singapore does not have a retirement option.

Rents for as little as 40 USD/day in Geylang.

Retire by splitting the year 50-50 between SG & LOS....3 months in & out...repeat...in/out...

geylang is the red light district and the seedy side of the country. Gangsters, foreign workers, many hookers, pimps etc but i am sure they won't beat any western country's seedy side. Sure for most of you farangs that wouldn't daunt you. They don't have drug dealers with guns and open robberies yet. People leave you alone most of the time.

Even Singaporeans don't like living in Singapore -  astronomical stress levels.  

vacation - woohoo, let's go - I love it.

Live there? no thanks.

Agreed its a great place for a 5-7 day vacation. The thing that I've noticed most that has changed in Singapore is that it is so much more crowded than it used to be 25 years ago.even going on the MRT used to be pretty relaxing, now people are crammed in. Not exactly sure how much more population there is now, but it isn't a big place, and it just seems more hemmed in.

Their hoping to fit in 6.9 million and recent talks have come up with a projected 10 million ppl. Since the birth rate of singapore is pretty low the ppl making up the 6-7 million will be totally foreign born. Does this sound like some western countries to you?

Most of England is now foreign, each time I go back for a visit (which presently seems to be every 5 years), the more foreign the place seems to me as well as feeling like a foreigner there also. But that's another story.