Overstaying a few days - is it worth the trouble?

My visa expires tomorrow... So of course, I should be leaving the country tomorrow to get my new visa... But, what would happen if I ....

a) Overstayed by 1 day, then went to my local immigration office (Krabi) and paid for an additional 7 days before leaving? (Is this even possible)

B) Overstayed by 2 days, paid the fee at immigration (Sadao). Would this affect my visa application in Penang? (I will be applying for Non-O Volunteer Visa- Single Entry)

Advice appreciated :)

Thanks

Since immigration is closed on Sunday you might not even pay an overstay fine if you go on Monday to apply for the 7 days. You will apply for the extension, pay 1900 baht and be given 7 days to leave.

I have not heard of an overstay being a problem at any of the nearby consulates or embassies. In fact I have seen recent reports of very long overstays not being a problem.

It would be cheaper and easier to just pay at exit on Tuesday or Wednesday as it is 500 baht per day right? But is it a better/safer option to just go to immigration and get the extension instead? Or would it really make little difference?

That's what I was thinking considering all the news recently about the Southern borders - particularly Sadao!! Thanks for your advice.

Just to confirm - as I am at the end of a double entry tourist visa, I would still get 7 (rather expensive) days despite having the 30 day extension before - correct?