importing a Royal Enfield to thailand/ short long term stay

i am in the process to setting up a motorbike tour business with Royal Enfields. the idea is to conduct tours from Kathmandu via india and myanmar to thailand (back and forwards)

we will do our first Pilot tour in october from Kathmandu to Bangkok.

the bikes will be purchased in India, as it is the cheapest there.

i know the Nepal and Myanmar side of things in regards to no need of carnet de passage etc

but still have questions regarding Thailand

1. do we need a carnet de passage to bring an indian registered  bike to thailand

2. how long am i allowed to drive a "foreign" bike in thailand?

3. any ideas on the insurance issue in Thailand?

4. any other things i haven't considered...

any advise and thoughts greatly appreciated!!!

and anyone who wants to come on the ride, let me know, its 4000km and will take 31 days!!!

If you contacted the other countries for your needs why don't you do the same for Thailand and contact Thai customs.

You would probably get better answers in the ' Bike in Thailand ' forum but be prepared for some, what can we say !! not so good info. biggrin.png  

• Like 1

I didn't think it was possible to ride through Burma and exit out of a different immigration border checkpoint. If you make it through to Thailand, I would be interested in riding back to India with you. Are you sure it can be done?

Edited by aussiebrian

To answer question number  "1. do we need a carnet de passage to bring an indian registered  bike to thailand", the answer is no.  Thailand is not a signatory to the carnet de passage agreement, and does not accept it.

To answer question number  "1. do we need a carnet de passage to bring an indian registered  bike to thailand", the answer is no.  Thailand is not a signatory to the carnet de passage agreement, and does not accept it.

And yet the majority of  the high end vehicles that are on the grid in the supercar race series are here on carnet de passage paperwork.

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

And yet the majority of  the high end vehicles that are on the grid in the supercar race series are here on carnet de passage paperwork.

ATA carnet, which Thailand is a signatory: http://www.atacarnet.com/acceptable-carnet-merchandise

This covers commercial merchandise, and includes racecars.

CDP carnet (Carnet de Passages en Douane) which covers vehicles for personal useage, for which Thailand does not accept.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnet_de_Passages

• Like 2

ATA carnet, which Thailand is a signatory: http://www.atacarnet.com/acceptable-carnet-merchandise

This covers commercial merchandise, and includes racecars.

CDP carnet (Carnet de Passages en Douane) which covers vehicles for personal useage, for which Thailand does not accept.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnet_de_Passages

Thanks for the correction, I knew it was carnet something as singha put up the money and charges each team a monthly amount.

• Like 1

Maybe 31 days won't be enough. A while back I crossed Nepal-India border with a Nepali number plate and a mountain of papers (carnet). That border crossing alone took 36 hours, and it put me off continuing to Pakistan and the Karakoram Highway and onwards... Instead toured Kashmir and Ladakh, and spent another 40 hours getting back to Nepal! I really hope things are better now... Good luck, and write a blog.

I don't have any information to add - I would have thought the problems of getting through the border customs - visas, permits for the bikes, proof of insurance, etc. - would be huge - but I would like to know how you make out.

Are these the real deal Royal Enfield 650's, or a modern bike made under the RE name?

I am interested in going - on the return trip to Nepal - if I am still in Thailand at that time.

Here some answers:

1. do we need a carnet de passage to bring an indian registered  bike to thailand. Thailand does not ask for a carnet de passage when entering Thailand.

2. how long am i allowed to drive a "foreign" bike in thailand? Any foreign vehicle can stay without any additional paperwork one month in Thailand, You need to pay a penalty if your vehicle 'overstays' at the Thai custom point at exit.

3. any ideas on the insurance issue in Thailand? A simple Thai vehicle Insurance can normally be purchased at point of entry. Mae Sot should have such Insurance agency, but better you check. The insurance is valid for at least one month (up to a year). It covers third party damage up to a certain (relative small) amount but this is the best you get in Thailand. If you are getting involved in a (small) accident as a foreigner(your fault or not), better you settle the matter in cash immediately and evaporate as quick as possible. If it is a bigger deal, don't get silly and think you have all rights of a fair deal in Thailand, be prepared to settle it quick (in favor for the Thai Party) even if you think it is not fair. (The general logic will be: The accident would not have happened (to a Thai) if you have stayed where you are from, hence it can not be the Thai's causal fault.)

4. any other things i haven't considered... Best you check out the GT-Rider web site especially for details of the paper forms etc. Please be aware, there had been efforts made some years ago to import REs to Thailand and initially there existed an import license for (parts have been imported and assembled in Thailand and REs have been sold with official registration papers), however, due to some dark conflicts of business interests of the parties (and others) involved, this collapsed and the import (and registration) license was revoked. Hence there will be no RE service in Thailand, even if there must be some with legal papers on the roads. However, there is a lively RE community and dealership in Singapore and Malaysia, with all spare parts on stock. Easier to bring them from Singapore or Malaysia (within ASEAN) then from outside/India.

• Like 1

Top gear did it in trucks..

I seem to remember they were infact Thai vehicles taken over the border then driven back into Thailand (but I could have dreamt that!)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The accident would not have happened (to a Thai) if you have stayed where you are from, hence it can not be the Thai's causal fault.

Often claimed on this forum, but not true.

Steven, yes and no, I personally never had experienced problems like that, in fact, the only accident I had was settled by the Thai party promptly (a lower ceiling part ripped off my roof luggage rack at a car park of a major mall in Bangkok), however, I have witnessed a friend  'donating' for the damage of the Thai party after asked by police to be 'compassionate' and understandable towards the situation of the farmer motorcycle driver and his family after he drove with the motorcycle in his truck (and left a deep scratch on the door .. of the truck) with some small damages to the motorbike, I think handle was broken and front tire had a knack. So, yes, better to be double carefully when driving, stay polite and friendly .... and show compassion.

Would you like to have a Bullet Rani along on your trek? I have 12 yrs experience riding Bullets in India, 350cc and 530cc. I think only 500cc bikes are strong enough for mountain riding...2 ppl plus luggage. I don't think there is a border post between India and Myanmar although local ppl cross over you cannot exit India and enter Myanmar. I hope you plan to come through Pokhara and via Lumbini as the direct route from Kathmandu is full of hair pin bends.Anyone for riding a Bullet around the world?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

rest assured we can ride from ktm to bnk.

we are not going via pokhara as this is detour... we like hair pin roads and head due east from kathmandu.

i have researched for 4 months. we have a partner company in myanmar which will pick us up at the india/ myanmar border crossing and drop off at the thai border post in mae sot...

Would you like to have a Bullet Rani along on your trek? I have 12 yrs experience riding Bullets in India, 350cc and 530cc. I think only 500cc bikes are strong enough for mountain riding...2 ppl plus luggage. I don't think there is a border post between India and Myanmar although local ppl cross over you cannot exit India and enter Myanmar. I hope you plan to come through Pokhara and via Lumbini as the direct route from Kathmandu is full of hair pin bends.Anyone for riding a Bullet around the world?

our pinitial pilot tour will be without support vehicle, but subsequent regular tours will be with support. our intiioal tour will be with a royal enfield mechnaic and roughly half price.

Good idea, good luck man. I rode in India and Nepal too for many months. Great rides and roads in a different universe.

But all I know you cannot pass through Myanmar from India to Thailand.

Is it changed? I hope that!

Edited by ll2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I thought you were talking about the 3.03 cal Enfield.

i think you are referring to the Lee Enfield .303 Mk 4 - it also goes like a bullet!

Good idea, good luck man. I rode in India and Nepal too for many months. Great rides and roads in a different universe.

Yes, you can now. Requires a special permit from the Myanmar government to crossover from Moreh to Tamu.

Yes, you can now. Requires a special permit from the Myanmar government to crossover from Moreh to Tamu.

Wow, that is surprising! from when? It is really goood to know so i can ride my bike from Thailand to India now! thanks for the info.

and, do they give it to everyone? which route are you taking thorough Myanmar?

please give us some more information.

Thansk a lot. exciting news1