When Nomads becomes Static are they still Nomadic?

I have read a lot of threads recently about so called "IT Nomads" and the complaints that there doesn't appear to be a current visa that would cover their scope of work.

In the majority of cases, it appears that the complainant is looking for a long term solution to stay in Thailand based on their "job description". To me, this brings at least two different departments into play, immigration and labor, with the possibility of the Ministry of the Interior making the third.

Just adding a twist to the threads, I would like to ask these people, what defines their job descriptions? What is the controlling body or circumstances (yes, contradiction in terms) that would allow the department of labor to consider issuing work permits for only them and not the next person who writes IT Nomad on their application?

In other words, how would the government of Thailand regulate this area without opening another loophole in the system?

Note: This isn't a dig at online workers, just question for them.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what defines their job descriptions? What is the controlling body or circumstances (yes, contradiction in terms) that would allow the department of labor to consider issuing work permits for only them and not the next person who writes IT Nomad on their application?

There isnt one.. The authorities could, if they so wished, adapt the media visa to cover online media, hence blog publishing etc would fall under this remit.

There then comes the intense difficulty in verifying incomes and in many cases maintaining min wage etc.

Currently it seems clear the authorities dont wish to do this. Which is entirely their right. However when the definitions of work are so vague, huge grey areas appear, and you can hardly blame the people caught up without a visa class route to them, for staying in the grey area the current rules create.

what defines their job descriptions? What is the controlling body or circumstances (yes, contradiction in terms) that would allow the department of labor to consider issuing work permits for only them and not the next person who writes IT Nomad on their application?

There isnt one.. The authorities could, if they so wished, adapt the media visa to cover online media, hence blog publishing etc would fall under this remit.

There then comes the intense difficulty in verifying incomes and in many cases maintaining min wage etc.

Currently it seems clear the authorities dont wish to do this. Which is entirely their right. However when the definitions of work are so vague, huge grey areas appear, and you can hardly blame the people caught up without a visa class route to them, for staying in the grey area the current rules create.

Are you claiming the present situation is a grey area for online workers?

• Like 1

The following is from a BOI Pres Release May 2013 focusing of Software:

Thailand’s software industry continues to experience strong growth, due to sound government policies, and increasingly high-tech infrastructure and improving workforce skills. Thailand offers many benefits for firms engaged in software development and the production of digital content including animation and games. Most notably, Thailand offers investors a competitive salary range, an educated workforce, a central location in Southeast Asia, and a domestic market with high growth potential.

Now this may be PR bullsh-t but, somehow or other, the powers-that-be would have to be convinced that amending the rules such that non-Thai individuals who have no intention to make substantial investments in or hire university graduates from Thailand is of great potential benefit to Thailand and that not to do so is to their detriment.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

LOS, agree with your points, very similar to mine. The internet is a huge grey area with no global regulations and a nightmare for any government to issue work permits, or rather regulate the issue of those permits where the definition of work is so general.

I know a lot of people living in Thailand, with the correct visas to satisfy immigration, however the majority of them are still in communication with businesses outside the country to one degree or another and are in effect ignoring the labour laws by doing so.

Taking interpretation to the limit, even people on this forum, by submitting advice and comments and improving the rating of the site could be defined as working.

Thailand could just remove the age criteria on the retirement visa. Simple.

Or they could follow the lead of PI with their smile visa:

http://www.pra.gov.ph/main/srrv_program?page=1

It would be rather strange if teenagers lived here on retirement visas smile.png

Why...if they have 800K THB on deposit the same as the old farts?

The only people who would disagree to this are the old farts who would never get a girl if young handsome go getters were given the same rights as the over 50 crowd receive.

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thailand’s software industry continues to experience strong growth, due to sound government policies, and increasingly high-tech infrastructure and improving workforce skills. Thailand offers many benefits for firms engaged in software development and the production of digital content including animation and games. Most notably, Thailand offers investors a competitive salary range, an educated workforce, a central location in Southeast Asia, and a domestic market with high growth potential.

Now this may be PR bullsh-t but, somehow or other, the powers-that-be would have to be convinced that amending the rules such that non-Thai individuals who have no intention to make substantial investments in or hire university graduates from Thailand is of great potential benefit to Thailand and that not to do so is to their detriment.

biggrin.png Agree, reads like PR B-S, but the above is focusing on industry. The self proclaimed IT nomads I was referring to have no input into industry and are making money for themselves with online investments and sales.

Again, the term IT should be better defined as it is a coverall description in itself.

This isn't about visas as such, but permissions to work. Can't do that on a retirement visa so a moot point.

• Like 2

biggrin.png Agree, reads like PR B-S, but the above is focusing on industry. The self proclaimed IT nomads I was referring to have no input into industry and are making money for themselves with online investments and sales.

Again, the term IT should be better defined as it is a coverall description in itself.

... and the Thai government has said here and elsewhere that they are interested in accommodating those who work online and are adding something to the Thai online services infrastructure. They do not seem to see Thailand as a pied a terre for someone only making money for themselves and saying I don't need any help in my activites of choice..

It would be rather strange if teenagers lived here on retirement visas smile.png

Why...if they have 800K THB on deposit the same as the old farts?

The only people who would disagree to this are the old farts who would never get a girl if young handsome go getters were given the same rights as the over 50 crowd receive.

What have the visa to do with getting young girls ?

Maybe you like to skip the married criteria in the spouse visa also? Or the education in the ED visa?

The age 50 for Retirement is in Police Order 777/2551 which is promulgation of a Ministerial Regulation under Sections 34 and 35 of the Thai Immigration Act (2522) . While it certainly can be changed, it does not 'just' happen on a whim.

BTW every time someone obtains a Tourist Visa they sign the declaration:

You declare that the purpose of your visit to Thailand is for pleasure only and that in no case shall you engage yourself in any profession or occupation while in the country.

So if one has signed the above and is engaged in a profession or occupation, they have signed a false declaration to an official of Thailand which is covered in the Thai Penal Code

Edited by JLCrab

alt=biggrin.png> Agree, reads like PR B-S, but the above is focusing on industry. The self proclaimed IT nomads I was referring to have no input into industry and are making money for themselves with online investments and sales.

... and the Thai government has said here and elsewhere that they are interested in accommodating those who work online and are adding something to the Thai online services infrastructure. They do not seem to see Thailand as a pied a terre for someone only making money for themselves and saying I don't need any help in my activites of choice..

And hence back to the OP, how would a proclaimed online worker define him/herself, without setting up a company and employing Thais? From what I have read (my interpretation) the people complaining that they can't live and work here are not prepared to take these steps. They want to remain nomadic while being static.

Self employment visa. Have to demonstrate that either+/or activity benefits the Thai Economy..ie funds patriated / Tax paid+/ or employs Thai associates. Not difficult. Good deal easier than authenticating Burmese Fisherfolk

• Like 2

I know a lot of people living in Thailand, with the correct visas to satisfy immigration, however the majority of them are still in communication with businesses outside the country to one degree or another and are in effect ignoring the labour laws by doing so.

Practically everyone who is gainfully employed elsewhere in the world and enters Thailand on a tourist visa or a visa exemption breaks the law as it's currently constituted, as they exchange email, chat in IM, and/or speak voice/video with colleagues back home.

Almost all professionals who enter Thailand for business conferences or corporate retreats being held in Bangkok or Phuket or wherever violate the law, as they overwhelmingly enter Thailand on tourist visas or a visa exemption.

If the law were truly enforced as written, Thailand's convention/event industry would take even more of a hit than it already has due to political instability.

• Like 1

Practically everyone who is gainfully employed elsewhere in the world and enters Thailand on a tourist visa or a visa exemption breaks the law as it's currently constituted, as they exchange email, chat in IM, and/or speak voice/video with colleagues back home.

Almost all professionals who enter Thailand for business conferences or corporate retreats being held in Bangkok or Phuket or wherever violate the law, as they overwhelmingly enter Thailand on tourist visas or a visa exemption.

If the law were truly enforced as written, Thailand's convention/event industry would take even more of a hit than it already has due to political instability.

True, by the letter of the law I agree with you.

The people I was referring to are here mostly with long term stay, retirement, non-O dependency, etc.

This satisfies immigration as they meet the requirements for living here, but flaunts the labour laws.

Edited by chrisinth

Are you claiming the present situation is a grey area for online workers?

Yes in some specific ways.. No in the simplistic resident person working online for income way.

I can list many many ways the law is unsure, I am sure anyone with half a brain can think of many others.

Issues around location at the time of content creation.. Issues around the aspect of residual income from sites or advertising while visiting the kingdom.. Issues around hobby sites or creating youtube videos for fun Etc etc.. Its easy to think of many complexities in how to interpret the law, which is clearly written in such a catch all way as to criminalize everything at all times, so that the actual enforcement is down to discretion not a precise law or case prescient.

Example.. Someone is a global travel video blogger, they have videos from Peru, China, India, Turkey.. all making them advert revenue.. They step off the plane, the second they do so, their adverts are paying them money, but are they working ?? I mean how many tourists are still getting holiday pay while coming here just the same, are you saying they are all working ?? Because their past work is making revenue ?? The hypothetical videos they made, were made and edited outside the kingdom, in the past, isnt revenue from them simply like revenue from rental property outside the country, you dont need a work permit to own property overseas do you ?? So how about they start recording a video while in Thailand, are you saying a tourist cant make a holiday video ?? What about as long they dont upload it to youtube until after the leave..

You are really telling me you cant see any grey areas in that ?? What is work ?? Is the food blogger taking pictures of his Thai cuisine while on vacation working ?? Even if he doesnt write or upload the blog until he leaves the country ?? No one can photograph a meal without a work permit ??

What is the point where content creation becomes 'work' ?? Is posting to a forum work ?? What if its posting to your own forum ?? What if you have ads on the forum ?? Or what if you have a forum, where other people only post, but you never post, edit, or admin.. In which of these situations is it work ??

So yes.. There are grey areas and hard to define lines.

I never understood that.. Another generation seems to think 'retirement' means old age.. Retirement is to me simply the time you have enough assets to stop working. If that happens when your 19, 29, 39 or whatever makes no difference.. I did enough in a few years to be safely comfortable. I retired.. If you do it in your 20s or your 40s is purely down to having enough to stop work and live comfortably.

Set the bar for what they think that number is, and let people show it. If they want to set the bar higher, the younger you are, theres some logic there.. But the idea you have to work out your days simply isnt how it is, people have business successes at all kinds of ages, people win lotteries or have trust funds, what difference does it make.

• Like 1

Re the visa question - all it would take would be an adjustment to the existing rules - easily done.

They could call it the automatic taxation visa. charge 5,000 baht a month for it, and the visa tax could be laid against our home country taxes. I'd guess about fifty-thousand people would take it up, @60,000 baht per year - raising 3,000,000,000 baht per annum, or about $94 million dollars.

That would be on top of a likely 24 billion baht per annum spend by the tax-visa holders - that level spend would support many jobs and businesses, and naturally would include even more sales-tax revenue going to the government. I'd call it win-win.

I never understood that.. Another generation seems to think 'retirement' means old age.. Retirement is to me simply the time you have enough assets to stop working. If that happens when your 19, 29, 39 or whatever makes no difference.. I did enough in a few years to be safely comfortable. I retired.. If you do it in your 20s or your 40s is purely down to having enough to stop work and live comfortably.

Set the bar for what they think that number is, and let people show it. If they want to set the bar higher, the younger you are, theres some logic there.. But the idea you have to work out your days simply isnt how it is, people have business successes at all kinds of ages, people win lotteries or have trust funds, what difference does it make.

The difference is jealousy -

Some people can't stand the thought that others have had a go, and earned more by the time they are 30 than they will in their entire lives. I'm wealthy enough but I'm watching young friends of mine earn funny money. I know one twenty-three year old digital nomad in Thailand that's earning $30,000 a month - and the way his business is set up - he can retire right now. He is not the highest earning nomad I know - some of these guys are on funny money.

I think it's great - others boil and froth with jealousy.

The age 50 for Retirement is in Police Order 777/2551 which is promulgation of a Ministerial Regulation under Sections 34 and 35 of the Thai Immigration Act (2522) . While it certainly can be changed, it does not 'just' happen on a whim.

BTW every time someone obtains a Tourist Visa they sign the declaration:

You declare that the purpose of your visit to Thailand is for pleasure only and that in no case shall you engage yourself in any profession or occupation while in the country.

So if one has signed the above and is engaged in a profession or occupation, they have signed a false declaration to an official of Thailand which is covered in the Thai Penal Code

But when is work not work ?? If you have built residual income.. That doesnt need your input.. are you working in "any profession or occupation" ?? Sitting there getting royalty cheques / adsense bucks.

Thats what travel bloggers and video bloggers and ebook writers and and and.. have done..

The 'work' thats now generating revenue may have happened years ago.. Like an author writing a book then coming here after it gets published..

But some would say theres no grey areas in Thai law !!

Thailand is a sovereign country with a population about the same as France or Italy. And here we have a bunch of non-citizens sitting around thinking how that sovereign country should modify its immigration, labor, tax and who knows what other policies because it may be in that country's interest but most certainly would be in the interest of the ThaiVisa Members positing.

So how do you go about changing such myriad policies in your home country? 'taint easy in mine is all I know.

Edited by JLCrab