Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

Of course then there's the plain P visa which is prison and that alows you to stay here without any applications, documetns, or payments.

Jeff Savage just applied for a P visa. I believe he was successful. He's acutally put out a video on process for applying for a P visa.

BTW, Great information , Camerata. Thanks.

Have just added the following comment to the Nation's article concerning the need for Thailand to run a PR campaign - and which directly relates to this catgeory.

PR = Public Relations.

PR = Permanent Residence.

Agree that a proper and thoughtful PR campaign is needed - especially after the disgraceful international reporting. IMHO, the best folks to put the correct face to the Thailand situation are the farangs that have chosen to live here - and not the politicians. One obvious element could be for the Government to quickly process the PR applications for 2006, 2007 and 2008 - with attendant and widespread publicity.

Thoughts? And more importantly (if the idea has merit) how to advocate it!

Just come back from having my 4th residency under application one year extension stamped in my passport and was thinking the same thing. Splashed across the front pages of the local newsapapers "Foreign support for Thailand as Thai Governemnet has just approved 1,000 applications for permanent residency".(or may be more since 2006 and maybe pigs may even fly. I suppose the good newsi s that whilst still under consideration I get a one year visa extension automatically without hassle. Took 5 minutes this morning as o queues.

Nice twitch. Are you for real?

Yes - indeed I am. I am a 2008 PR applicant and am therefore also interested in looking for avenues to unblock the current impasse (no dount the Joint Foreign Chambers of Commerce in Thailand will be looking for opportunities to support Thailand and am thinking this idea be a possible inclusion in any JFCCT submission to Government).

just returned from having my fourth extension of stay for one year as residency under application 2006) stamp in my passport and was also thinking the same thing ......splashed across the front page of the local newspapers "foreigners support Thailand as Thai Govmnt has just approved 2,000 new applications for Permanent Residency" or am I dreaming.

At least I get to get a visa estension for one year without any hassle. Took 5 mins this morning.

just returned from having my fourth extension of stay for one year as residency under application 2006) stamp in my passport and was also thinking the same thing ......splashed across the front page of the local newspapers "foreigners support Thailand as Thai Govmnt has just approved 2,000 new applications for Permanent Residency" or am I dreaming.

At least I get to get a visa estension for one year without any hassle. Took 5 mins this morning.

Does anybody know why some people (i.e me) only get 6 month extensions, and some people get 1 year?

I specifically asked if I could get a 12 month last time, only to be told I could only have 6.

I know its probably my looks and charming personality, but perhaps there's another reason also?

I specifically asked if I could get a 12 month last time, only to be told I could only have 6.

I know its probably my looks and charming personality, but perhaps there's another reason also?

I don't think there is any magic about that. I would evaluate it based on how long you have been in the same company and on consequtive visas and how good your overall score looks. If you're easily over 50 points and a "safe bet" then you get a year, otherwise you get 6 or 3 perhaps months if you're a bit shaky :) I think that's how they think actually

Edited by MikeyIdea

Have just added the following comment to the Nation's article concerning the need for Thailand to run a PR campaign - and which directly relates to this catgeory.

PR = Public Relations.

PR = Permanent Residence.

Agree that a proper and thoughtful PR campaign is needed - especially after the disgraceful international reporting. IMHO, the best folks to put the correct face to the Thailand situation are the farangs that have chosen to live here - and not the politicians. One obvious element could be for the Government to quickly process the PR applications for 2006, 2007 and 2008 - with attendant and widespread publicity.

Thoughts? And more importantly (if the idea has merit) how to advocate it!

Nice twitch. Are you for real?

Yes - indeed I am. I am a 2008 PR applicant and am therefore also interested in looking for avenues to unblock the current impasse (no dount the Joint Foreign Chambers of Commerce in Thailand will be looking for opportunities to support Thailand and am thinking this idea be a possible inclusion in any JFCCT submission to Government).

You are a PR (Permanent Residence) applicant, while Thailand has a PR (Public Relations) deficiancy, according to some. My question merely explored whether you are mixing the two up.

I am not sure how you want to involve the JFCC in an application for Permanent Residence but am eager to hear your suggestions.

But then, maybe I am the one mixing things up, and you are really a Public Relations applicant. Kindly enlighten me.

I don't see how unblocking the logjam of PR applications would do much for Thailand's public relations deficiency, although of course it would do no harm. Permanent residence is a matter for individuals and those interested in it are a very small minority of the people Thailand's overseas public relations effort needs to address. By definition those applying for PR are already sold on the idea of Thailand. Employing professionals to get the government's message across abroad would be more helpful. They just need to look at what Thaksin does. Also some more incentives to corporate foreign investors would be helpful. In fact the JFCC did make some detailed suggestions to the government about permanent residence a few years ago before the applications logjam appeared. These suggestions were very sensible and included doing away with the certificate of residence, alien book and work permit for PRs and introducing a Thai equivalent of the US green card which should easily be possible now that Thai ID cards are electronic. Unfortunately the JFCC didn't even receive a reply to these suggestions. Nevertheless, there would be no harm in the JFCC trying to tackle the PR issue again, now that the government seems to be asking for suggestions from foreigners. They are probably the best pressure group for this, as they have many individual members interested in PR. Perhaps they should also suggest reform of the Foreign Business Act, although I doubt the Abhisit govt will want to grasp that nettle.

I don't see how unblocking the logjam of PR applications would do much for Thailand's public relations deficiency, although of course it would do no harm. Permanent residence is a matter for individuals and those interested in it are a very small minority of the people Thailand's overseas public relations effort needs to address. By definition those applying for PR are already sold on the idea of Thailand. Employing professionals to get the government's message across abroad would be more helpful. They just need to look at what Thaksin does. Also some more incentives to corporate foreign investors would be helpful. In fact the JFCC did make some detailed suggestions to the government about permanent residence a few years ago before the applications logjam appeared. These suggestions were very sensible and included doing away with the certificate of residence, alien book and work permit for PRs and introducing a Thai equivalent of the US green card which should easily be possible now that Thai ID cards are electronic. Unfortunately the JFCC didn't even receive a reply to these suggestions. Nevertheless, there would be no harm in the JFCC trying to tackle the PR issue again, now that the government seems to be asking for suggestions from foreigners. They are probably the best pressure group for this, as they have many individual members interested in PR. Perhaps they should also suggest reform of the Foreign Business Act, although I doubt the Abhisit govt will want to grasp that nettle.

I agree that the JFCC would be the most appropriate and legitimate group to lobby on behalf of PR applicants still waiting for approval, as I am sure some of their members are in the same predicament. Are there any JFCC members waiting for PR approval willing to take this forward?

Hi ,

I have got some question. can anyone please help me to sort this things out.

I have been staying in Thailand for over 5+ years now with a Non-Imm visa . i finished my bachelor degree under a thai-american university, its a dual degree. and now about to finish my master degree as well and planning to get married with my GF within a month or so. for the education and living purpose i already have invested over 3 million baht. my question is that, now i want to apply for an Thai PR, whether i will be eligible for it? if so, which category it should be? expert as in the academic criteria? what would be the other possibilities for me to apply for an PR ? any help or suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks

If you hire a legal firm, it will probably consider the approval of your application to be the end of the process. If you want them to help you with the various steps after approval, you'd better put that in the written agreement so it's understood by all. If you hand over a lot of documents to them, make a list and get them to sign for them in case any go missing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I would like to update you on changes in the procedure to get Permanent Residence(PR).

End of last year I applied for PR.They call it "Residence Permit".

At the beginning of this week I got a phone call from immigration inviting me for a Thai test on June 4th(today).

The Immigration also fax me an official letter with the invitation calling it "Thai & personality test".

I went today to the Immigration on Chaengwattana after a short verification process was sent to a waiting

room with other people.

After an hour waiting went to the "Interview Room" . Three officer and video operator welcomed me and

interview me in Thai for about 10 minutes about work family etc. That all - I was told I can go home.

No clue if I met their expectations and no other tests for now:)

Take care!

Joram

Thanks for the update, and all the best of luck.

You won't get an official information how it went,but I cross my fingers for you that all went well.

If you hire a legal firm, it will probably consider the approval of your application to be the end of the process. If you want them to help you with the various steps after approval, you'd better put that in the written agreement so it's understood by all. If you hand over a lot of documents to them, make a list and get them to sign for them in case any go missing.

If you hire a legal firm, all they do is tell you which documents they need to submit the application for you. They will charge in the range of THB 100,000. You get the same list from the immigration office for free, and it makes no difference whether you use a lawyer or submit the documents yourself. In fact, it might look better if you do it by yourself.

It seems that those of us who have applied for Thai PR will get it when we get it .

No matter how much or how long we discuss this topic will not hasten this process or logjam.

So lets all forget about it and not worry ourselves too much.

When we do get it, it will be a pleasant surprise for us .... meantime I am keeping my eyes and ears open for better opportunities.

Dear camerata

I read all the processes and responses regarduing PR, very useful indeed, is there any way to find out the announcments regarding PR on year to year basis? I have applied for PR in 2006 still waiting for the results, is there any way to find out the progress on my case or the details for the year 2005,2006,2007 so on? it will be very helpful if I can find the lists on line.

Dear camerata

I read all the processes and responses regarduing PR, very useful indeed, is there any way to find out the announcments regarding PR on year to year basis? I have applied for PR in 2006 still waiting for the results, is there any way to find out the progress on my case or the details for the year 2005,2006,2007 so on? it will be very helpful if I can find the lists on line.

Already been answered in earlier posts ....

Currently applicants do not have any means to find out the progress other than whatever info we can get from each other or through lawyers and their sources.

Dear camerata

Already been answered in earlier posts ....

Currently applicants do not have any means to find out the progress other than whatever info we can get from each other or through lawyers and their sources.

When you have a reason to visit the friendly people at the PR office, for example if you need another extension of stay, ask them about your application and they will likely tell you the status. From what I understand, the 2006 applications have been approved (unless you received a letter saying otherwise) and are only waiting for the Minister of the Interior to sign them.

There used to be a list of approved names on the internet, but they discontinued that practice.

Thanks for reply

I' ve been living here for quite long time and I found this forum very sensible and friendly regarding the issues, so, that was my curiosity to find the people in my batch ( class of 2006 ) and to keep this issue alive I will be very grateful if I can recieve the feed back from the seniors as well as the juniors of PR aproach.

No offence,

But,

If u carry

A yellow book ( temporary registration),

A blue book (permenant registration),

A white book (the new look of permenant residance certificate0,

A red book (the police book),

A book what ever colour it is ........( ur passport)

and

ur Wp (work permit)

ur pgd 91 (yearly tax return)

ur pgd 01 (monthly tax return)

ur pgd 03, 04, 05..........099

then

YOU ARE ALIEN IN THAILAND

If I remember correctly, you have to be at least 40 years of age to apply for PR. Or was that for applying for citizenship?

Is this accurate?

This is not accurate in either case but maximum age points are awarded for nationality applicants aged 41 to 50. Some people have managed to get through the entire processes of PR and naturalization before reaching the age of 40.

BTW I just went to Chaeng Wattana for the annual ritual of renewing the re-entry visas in my Certificate of Residence and passport. When they handed me the old fashioned ledger with names of the day's applicants in it, I held out my pen to sign as I had done for the previous 13 years but I was surprised when the officer held out an inky black roller instead. "New regulation", she said, "no signature any more, just your right thumb print". Previously I had always noticed thumb prints in the ledger against Chinese names, who I assumed were elderly people who either couldn't write at all or could only write Chinese and got PR at a time when anything written in Chinese was anathema to the Thai government (younger Chinese and Taiwanese PRs seemed to sign the ledger in Chinese). Going back some decades it was relatively easy to get PR and nearly all PRs were Chinese immigrants from the days of no immigration restrictions. There are still quite a few of this generation who presumably either couldn't get Thai citizenship or didn't want to apply. In fact the alien books date back to the days when it when it was just a process of registration by the police to control the Chinese living in their precints.

For me it's not a big deal to be thumb printed once a year but I thought it strange. I wonder if Immigration is concerned about people taking over the identities of deceased PRs. Perhaps this has indeed become a common crime as people get frustrated at the moratorium on approving new PR applications. Then I wondered, "What's next?"

No offence,

But,

If u carry

and

ur Wp (work permit)

then

You are correct in the case of yellow tabien baans, certificates of residence, alien books and work permits but not in the case of blue tabien baans, passports and all the tax return documents listed, since Thais have these too. BTW the white certificate of residence book is not the new look certificate of residence. I have had one for over 10 years. It is the duplicate certificate of residence that is issued when the original blue book is filled up but don't ask me the reason for this. The white book gets dirty very fast, if you travel a lot, and seems highly impractical. Nevertheless, having all these books is a huge advantage over being here on temporary visas IMHO.

No offence,

But,

If u carry

and

ur Wp (work permit)

then

You are correct in the case of yellow tabien baans, certificates of residence, alien books and work permits but not in the case of blue tabien baans, passports and all the tax return documents listed, since Thais have these too. BTW the white certificate of residence book is not the new look certificate of residence. I have had one for over 10 years. It is the duplicate certificate of residence that is issued when the original blue book is filled up but don't ask me the reason for this. The white book gets dirty very fast, if you travel a lot, and seems highly impractical. Nevertheless, having all these books is a huge advantage over being here on temporary visas IMHO.

because those without books can't brag in this forum about an advantage which can't be quantified :ph34r:

If I remember correctly, you have to be at least 40 years of age to apply for PR. Or was that for applying for citizenship?

Is this accurate?

This is not accurate in either case but maximum age points are awarded for nationality applicants aged 41 to 50. Some people have managed to get through the entire processes of PR and naturalization before reaching the age of 40.

Thanks for the clarification.

BTW I just went to Chaeng Wattana for the annual ritual of renewing the re-entry visas in my Certificate of Residence and passport. When they handed me the old fashioned ledger with names of the day's applicants in it, I held out my pen to sign as I had done for the previous 13 years but I was surprised when the officer held out an inky black roller instead. "New regulation", she said, "no signature any more, just your right thumb print". Previously I had always noticed thumb prints in the ledger against Chinese names, who I assumed were elderly people who either couldn't write at all or could only write Chinese and got PR at a time when anything written in Chinese was anathema to the Thai government (younger Chinese and Taiwanese PRs seemed to sign the ledger in Chinese). Going back some decades it was relatively easy to get PR and nearly all PRs were Chinese immigrants from the days of no immigration restrictions. There are still quite a few of this generation who presumably either couldn't get Thai citizenship or didn't want to apply. In fact the alien books date back to the days when it when it was just a process of registration by the police to control the Chinese living in their precints.

For me it's not a big deal to be thumb printed once a year but I thought it strange. I wonder if Immigration is concerned about people taking over the identities of deceased PRs. Perhaps this has indeed become a common crime as people get frustrated at the moratorium on approving new PR applications. Then I wondered, "What's next?"

Thanks for the history lesson, really appreciated.

But I have two suggestions for Immigration to streamline the processes after the PR gas been granted:

1. Get rid of the need to rernew the PR every year. It is called "permanent" residence. This would save the government a lot of money.

2. Instead of a book that has to be carried when leaving and entering the country, as stamp in the passport should be sufficient. Again, savings for the government would result.

Errr , you don't need to "renew the PR every year". In fact, if u never travel abroad , all u need to do is go to the police every 5 years...... Guess 20 mins every 5 years is not alot to ask?

Really? I thought you'd have to go every year, otherwise it'll be cancelled. Thanks for the heads-up.

Edited by tombkk

Errr , you don't need to "renew the PR every year". In fact, if u never travel abroad , all u need to do is go to the police every 5 years...... Guess 20 mins every 5 years is not alot to ask?

Really? I thought you'd have to go every year, otherwise it'll be cancelled. Thanks for the heads-up.

Confuses the shit out of banks and what have you........ always ask for "visa". Tell em i dont have a "visa"....... the cant wrap their brains around it, so i just show the re-entry visa ( even Oz PR's need a re-entry visa ) and it shuts them up. Ignorance is bliss.