Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

Errr , you don't need to "renew the PR every year". In fact, if u never travel abroad , all u need to do is go to the police every 5 years...... Guess 20 mins every 5 years is not alot to ask?

Really? I thought you'd have to go every year, otherwise it'll be cancelled. Thanks for the heads-up.

Confuses the shit out of banks and what have you........ always ask for "visa". Tell em i dont have a "visa"....... the cant wrap their brains around it, so i just show the re-entry visa ( even Oz PR's need a re-entry visa ) and it shuts them up. Ignorance is bliss.

If they ask me for a visa, I show them the re-entry and say that this is the visa. Works every time.

Sorry to hear that we still need a re-entry permit when the *permanent* residency has been granted. I'll need to wrap my brains around that...

Sorry to hear that we still need a re-entry permit when the *permanent* residency has been granted. I'll need to wrap my brains around that...

Hotel California - You can check out anytime you like, but u can never leave !

I think every country the same. Permanent residents leaving oz, need a re-entry visa. Not sure why, but thats the way the cookie crumbles. At the end of the say, if you dont travel, then a 20 min "hi" at your local cop shop is all thats required.

Hotel California - You can check out anytime you like, but u can never leave !

Unrelated. Different story. But nice song.

I think every country the same. Permanent residents leaving oz, need a re-entry visa. Not sure why, but thats the way the cookie crumbles. At the end of the say, if you dont travel, then a 20 min "hi" at your local cop shop is all thats required.

Interesting. In Europe, if you have a PR, you can leave and enter any time you want without a special re-entry permit. I'm not sure, but I understand that the Green Card in the US works the same (but you have to 'say hi' once a year too).

I'm actually checking on Malaysia's "Second Home" program. Looks like you can get the PR after six months of living there, but I don't know about any requirement for a re-entry permit yet. This compares to my waiting for the PR for four years now, after I had to be on the same WP for three years before applying = 7 years. Any Thai person living in Europe for this length of time would not only have PR but probably be entitled to apply for citizenship already.

Benchmarking means measuring oneself on the best, not saying that some others are just as bad.

I don't see how unblocking the logjam of PR applications would do much for Thailand's public relations deficiency, although of course it would do no harm. Permanent residence is a matter for individuals and those interested in it are a very small minority of the people Thailand's overseas public relations effort needs to address. By definition those applying for PR are already sold on the idea of Thailand. Employing professionals to get the government's message across abroad would be more helpful. They just need to look at what Thaksin does. Also some more incentives to corporate foreign investors would be helpful. In fact the JFCC did make some detailed suggestions to the government about permanent residence a few years ago before the applications logjam appeared. These suggestions were very sensible and included doing away with the certificate of residence, alien book and work permit for PRs and introducing a Thai equivalent of the US green card which should easily be possible now that Thai ID cards are electronic. Unfortunately the JFCC didn't even receive a reply to these suggestions. Nevertheless, there would be no harm in the JFCC trying to tackle the PR issue again, now that the government seems to be asking for suggestions from foreigners. They are probably the best pressure group for this, as they have many individual members interested in PR. Perhaps they should also suggest reform of the Foreign Business Act, although I doubt the Abhisit govt will want to grasp that nettle.

I agree that the JFCC would be the most appropriate and legitimate group to lobby on behalf of PR applicants still waiting for approval, as I am sure some of their members are in the same predicament. Are there any JFCC members waiting for PR approval willing to take this forward?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.mcot.net/cfcustom/cache_page/74395.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try this and good luck to all of you, on the waiting list.

PR holder since 2002 :wai:

Edited by Kan Win

So you get two books? I didn't know that.

And yes, I travel. I'm out of the country almost every month, usually on business. So the PR book has to be stamped every year.

How long is the re-entry permit valid? Five years as the Alien's Book, or one year as the PR book?

There's a photo of them both in the first post of this topic. :)

Generally speaking, the Alien's Book is for domestic use. It's all in Thai and issued by the local police station. The PR book is for leaving and entering the country, and functions in lieu of a visa. It's issued by Immigration. When you first get PR they put a stamp in your passport, but it is not transferred to subsequent passports, so your passport appears to have no valid visa for Thailand in it. It's a clunky system. I don't know why they can't just give us some kind of smart card.

The normal procedure is that you get an endorsement of your PR book and a re-entry permit in your passport at the same time, both being valid for 1 year. The re-entry can be single or multiple. If you never leave the country, you shouldn't need either, but in fact if you apply for a Thai driving licence they insist you have a valid re-entry stamp in your passport.

Hey guys

I have a question not related to the PR what we normally discuss here and looking forward for the advices A.S.A.P.

I have a friend 45 years of age, married to a thai spouse, living here on non "O" since 8-9 years (1 year extention basis) his visa is going to expire on the 9th of this month, now the problem is that he had lost his passport yesterday, made a report to the local police station, he is going to translate the report and then verifiy it from The Ministry of Foriegn Affairs today because his embassy need that document to issue him a new passport but it will take 3-4 days (even if he applied for an urgent passport)..

How to deal with the immigration? even if he took the police report and a paper from his embaasy he 've got only 2 days left to report for a new extension and without passport how will it work?

Any suggestions?

There's a photo of them both in the first post of this topic. :)

It's been so long since I read that post... but of course you are right.

Generally speaking, the Alien's Book is for domestic use. It's all in Thai and issued by the local police station. The PR book is for leaving and entering the country, and functions in lieu of a visa. It's issued by Immigration. When you first get PR they put a stamp in your passport, but it is not transferred to subsequent passports, so your passport appears to have no valid visa for Thailand in it. It's a clunky system. I don't know why they can't just give us some kind of smart card.

The normal procedure is that you get an endorsement of your PR book and a re-entry permit in your passport at the same time, both being valid for 1 year. The re-entry can be single or multiple. If you never leave the country, you shouldn't need either, but in fact if you apply for a Thai driving licence they insist you have a valid re-entry stamp in your passport.

It's complicated. A friend of mine has been in Thailand for over 20 years, extension of stay due to work permit, and he works for his own company (so he is not going to get fired). He got his PR in 2005 or 2006 (I fforgot) and said, the only difference is that he now has *more* paperwork.;-)

• Like 1

,,,,,,, but in fact if you apply for a Thai driving licence they insist you have a valid re-entry stamp in your passport.

Practices might differ, for me they only looked at the red book and tabien baan

When I applied for my Thai driver's licence (just checked, it was in 2537), all I needed was a non-immigrant visa. Well and the certificate of residence from the embassy (I still need that when I change address, just happened earlir this year). I believe the tabien baan replaces the letter from the embassy. Anyway, there is a thread for Thai driver's licences elsewhere. I just wish my PR would come through soon (class of 2006).

,,,,,,, but in fact if you apply for a Thai driving licence they insist you have a valid re-entry stamp in your passport.

Practices might differ, for me they only looked at the red book and tabien baan

When I applied for my Thai driver's licence (just checked, it was in 2537), all I needed was a non-immigrant visa. Well and the certificate of residence from the embassy (I still need that when I change address, just happened earlir this year). I believe the tabien baan replaces the letter from the embassy. Anyway, there is a thread for Thai driver's licences elsewhere. I just wish my PR would come through soon (class of 2006).

Ooops - that explains it.....i have the Red PR book, 2005 batch.

A Theoretical question ;) :

Say a UK national (male) was married to a Thai National (female).

They set up a company together in Thailand, got a WP for him and paid the required amount of tax on an income of say 50 or 60k baht a month - he "stayed" in Thailand on his Non-O.

However, in practice they were physically present in the UK for the vast majority of the following 3 years so that his wife could get her UK passport (she would be allowed out of the UK for only 270 days in total and 90 days in the last year).

Would this be a possible way to kill "two birds with one stone" ie wife get's UK Passport husband get's (could apply) for Thai PR?

Obviously the other requirements for PR would have to be met.

RAZZ

P.S. I've not come across a specific number of days an applicant would actually physically have to spend in Thailand over the 3 years???

They set up a company together in Thailand, got a WP for him and paid the required amount of tax on an income of say 50 or 60k baht a month - he "stayed" in Thailand on his Non-O.

However, in practice they were physically present in the UK for the vast majority of the following 3 years so that his wife could get her UK passport (she would be allowed out of the UK for only 270 days in total and 90 days in the last year).

Would this be a possible way to kill "two birds with one stone" ie wife get's UK Passport husband get's (could apply) for Thai PR?

RAZZ

A very interesting question. I think trhe theoretical person could beat the system this way.

P.S. I've not come across a specific number of days an applicant would actually physically have to spend in Thailand over the 3 years???

No, as far as I kow, the regulation only requires you to carry the WP for three years. I am not aware of any minimum number of days you actually have to spend here per year.

Question: Why would this theoretical person want a PR in Thailand if he doesn't want to live here?

Edited by tombkk

Question: Why would this theoretical person want a PR in Thailand if he doesn't want to live here?

This "theoretical person" does...and so does his "theoretical wife"...but in a few years time after she's got her "theoretical UK Passport" ;)

Well, that's the theory :D

RAZZ

This "theoretical person" does...and so does his "theoretical wife"...but in a few years time after she's got her "theoretical UK Passport" ;)

Well, that's the theory :D

RAZZ

Well I wish this theoretical person and his theoretical wife all the best of luck - theoretically speaking, of course. ;-)

RAZZ

The answer is that Immigration would quickly spot from the applicant's passport that he is was out of Thailand for most of the 3 year period and he would be rejected. There is no point in trying to find clever loopholes because the granting of PR is discretionary and they don't have to approve a case that technically complies with the letter of the guidelines but violates the spirit. If you took a genuine case where some one was sent abroad by his employer in Thailand for a few months on a temporary assignment while still paying Thai tax and with a company letter to prove it, I think that would probably qualify. Applying for PR is such an onerous, lengthy and costly procedure anyway that most time wasters quickly give up long before they ever get to the application stage.

The answer is that Immigration would quickly spot from the applicant's passport that he is was out of Thailand for most of the 3 year period and he would be rejected. There is no point in trying to find clever loopholes because the granting of PR is discretionary and they don't have to approve a case that technically complies with the letter of the guidelines but violates the spirit. If you took a genuine case where some one was sent abroad by his employer in Thailand for a few months on a temporary assignment while still paying Thai tax and with a company letter to prove it, I think that would probably qualify. Applying for PR is such an onerous, lengthy and costly procedure anyway that most time wasters quickly give up long before they ever get to the application stage.

We, if you still spent a lot of time in Thailand (say 50/50) and were abroad on "business" why not?

RAZZ

We, if you still spent a lot of time in Thailand (say 50/50) and were abroad on "business" why not?

RAZZ

I'd say, theoretically, 50/50 in LOS and UK would be possible, but you'd need strong support networks of friends and family in both countries to assist you in your absences.

1) After you apply for RP, Immigration will ask your local police force to visit your stated place of residence to check that everything is as you claim. If you're away, it's unlikely that any of your neighbours would like you enough to risk lying to the police. They'd just helpfully inform the police officers that you'd been abroad for the last 6 months and land you right in it.

2) Also, it's hard enough learning Thai when you're living here and can speak with Thais everyday - learning whilst in the UK is hardly going to help with the interview, but I'll conceed it would be possible - after all lots of foreigners live in Thailand without learning any Thai!

3) The main hurdle I see would be your 90-day address reporting, although someone in your company could do it on your behalf.

<snip>

http://www.mcot.net/...page/74395.html

Do you think anybody from the ministries concerned with issuing PR are reading this forum ?

Have you tried the above? If not, ask them then.....................................

Edited by Kan Win

<snip>

http://www.mcot.net/...page/74395.html

Do you think anybody from the ministries concerned with issuing PR are reading this forum ?

Have you tried the above? If not, ask them then.....................................

Not a bad idea

Hi! To class of 2006 and my own class of 2008:

At least some 2006 ( looks like 7 ) have already been issued. All the others from 2006, 2007 who did not get any negative notice until now are : accepted, just waiting for the final signature.

I got a call yesterday from them, they needed one more original paper. Today morning was a big session. Obviously it is about the final decision about the 2008 class. If you got no neative answer until next week, all will be ok. Now starts the waiting part.... But the good news is: Obviously the are working on it !!!

Good luck to us all!

Hi! To class of 2006 and my own class of 2008:

At least some 2006 ( looks like 7 ) have already been issued. All the others from 2006, 2007 who did not get any negative notice until now are : accepted, just waiting for the final signature.

I got a call yesterday from them, they needed one more original paper. Today morning was a big session. Obviously it is about the final decision about the 2008 class. If you got no neative answer until next week, all will be ok. Now starts the waiting part.... But the good news is: Obviously the are working on it !!!

Good luck to us all!

just for my curiosity, from where u get this information about the 7 PRs been issued for the class of 2006?

Edited by skyaslimit