Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

Hey guys

I was at the immigration yesterday to get my usual 6 month extension (class of 2006) , and to my surprise there was a Que, never encountered it before in PR room I waited for my turn for 15 minutes and found out that all the 4 persons before me were from the class of 2006 tried to read those names but does not succeed, just out of curiosity is any one of you guys were there yesterday?

Hey guys

I was at the immigration yesterday to get my usual 6 month extension (class of 2006) , and to my surprise there was a Que, never encountered it before in PR room I waited for my turn for 15 minutes and found out that all the 4 persons before me were from the class of 2006 tried to read those names but does not succeed, just out of curiosity is any one of you guys were there yesterday?

Note you have got a 6 month extension. I have a 12 month extension so may be worth your while asking for 12 next time to save you the hassle . Can't see any approvals in the foreseeable future though noticed on an earlier post that a few from the 2006 class have been approved. Saw in a recent British Chamber of Commerce Mag. that the PM had visited the Chamber and the Director had specifically asked why the log jam and the PM said he would look into it so maybe it was 7 from the Chamber that were accepted. Any way good luck to them if that was the case.

Hey guys

Note you have got a 6 month extension. I have a 12 month extension so may be worth your while asking for 12 next time to save you the hassle . Can't see any approvals in the foreseeable future though noticed on an earlier post that a few from the 2006 class have been approved. Saw in a recent British Chamber of Commerce Mag. that the PM had visited the Chamber and the Director had specifically asked why the log jam and the PM said he would look into it so maybe it was 7 from the Chamber that were accepted. Any way good luck to them if that was the case.

Last time I did ask for 12 months extension and the reply was: "we can give 6months extension only... you want it or not?"

Can anyone please explain the visa extension policy while waiting for the results of the PR application? I applied in Dec 2009, and am still working at the same company. Do I need to continue working at the same place while things are in the process? Thanks.

There are no written rules about this , but if you can hold on to the same job as long as you can then it will be more benificial for you. They may ask for some more documents regarding your work or taxes in the near future because this is just the first year since you applied.

Can anyone please explain the visa extension policy while waiting for the results of the PR application? I applied in Dec 2009, and am still working at the same company. Do I need to continue working at the same place while things are in the process? Thanks.

You don't need to keep the same job. The application will be evaluated based on the situation you were in when you applied.

If you change jobs, you need to inform them in writing. Make sure they sign for the receipt of this letter, in my case I delivered it in person and asked them to sign on a photocopy. The letter must be in Thai language and must contain your application number.

If you change residential address, you also have to send them a letter accordingly. They told me at the time the letter is so that the immigration can contact you when you are approved, and it has no effect on the application itself.

Since they update your extension of stay (make sure you always get a stamp from the PR department in addition to the visa extension based on work, if you work), they want to be kept updated. I think that's fair enough.

I was also told though that it does look better if you don't change your job before you have been approved by the Immigration Committee (the "big meeting"). It's not a legal requirement that you keep the same job, but some may think it shows more stability. So, it's really up to you.

I was wondering if that all the PR applicants waiting since 2006 onwards for the announcements have to report every 90 days while they are getting their passports stamped every 180 days? is there any rule regarding this matter?

I was wondering if that all the PR applicants waiting since 2006 onwards for the announcements have to report every 90 days while they are getting their passports stamped every 180 days? is there any rule regarding this matter?

There is a rule: Every foreigner who stays in the country for 90 needs to report to immigration. Of course, this applies to PR applicants as well. I do not believe that getting your extension of stay based on PR application frees you from the 90-day reporting.

I do not know whether the 90-day reporting still applies if the PR is granted but would like to know.

Last time I did ask for 12 months extension and the reply was: "we can give 6months extension only... you want it or not?"

When I asked this some years ago I was told that you can have 12 months but it means reverting to the normal 1-year extension system with all the usual documentation. So, better to stick with the 6-month no-hassle stamp.

Hi,

Thanks everyone. However, I have some situation. I'm a student at Assumption University. It has been 5 years and I'll graduate in next year. In some documents, they said we need income for applying PR. Since I'm a student, I have no income at all. So my first question is "Can I apply PR as a student?".

My second question is about documents and agent. I don't speak Thai and so there will be some difficulties for gathering every documents. So I need a helpful agent and I don't mind for money. Would you suggest a good agent?

Is this for a Thai PR also and do you have to notice your embassy or consulate you have to renounce your existing citizenship???? Is this true???

No, you don't have to renounce anything or express any intention to renounce anything in order to get a PR.

Hi,

Thanks everyone. However, I have some situation. I'm a student at Assumption University. It has been 5 years and I'll graduate in next year. In some documents, they said we need income for applying PR. Since I'm a student, I have no income at all. So my first question is "Can I apply PR as a student?".

My second question is about documents and agent. I don't speak Thai and so there will be some difficulties for gathering every documents. So I need a helpful agent and I don't mind for money. Would you suggest a good agent?

First question: I am not aware of any category under which you can apply for PR. Have you checked out the categories?

Second question: You don't need an agent, but you do need to speak at least some basic Thai. The list of documents is available in English, and you just use a translation service to have them translated into Thai. The interview is in Thai, and the agent won't be able to help you.

You have been here for 5 years and don't even speak basic Thai? Why do you want to apply for PR? - I am just curious, you don't have to answer that.

Hi,

First question: I am not aware of any category under which you can apply for PR. Have you checked out the categories?

Second question: You don't need an agent, but you do need to speak at least some basic Thai. The list of documents is available in English, and you just use a translation service to have them translated into Thai. The interview is in Thai, and the agent won't be able to help you.

You have been here for 5 years and don't even speak basic Thai? Why do you want to apply for PR? - I am just curious, you don't have to answer that.

Thanks for pointing me out. I'll try to check out the categories. You know since I'm an international student, I don't have any chance to speak in Thai but I do have plan to learn Thai in near future.

For applying PR, I want to do some business and get stable in Bangkok. Just that :)

Hi,

Graduating from a Thai university is regarded as evidence of a "close association with Thailand" which helps a bit in applying for PR (and Thai citizenship) but you will still need to show that you have a profession and can support yourself. Audited tax receipts from three complete tax years (same as calendar years in Thailand) are required as evidence of income from employment in Thailand, as well as a work permit. These days you now also need to be able to handle interviews in Thai. Even though bilingual fluency is not required, as in most other countries, you should be able to answer general questions and questions relating to your application without hesitation, if you want to be considered for permanent residence. If you marry a Thai, you can apply directly for Thai nationality after three years with the other conditions re employment and being doing interviews in Thai being similar to PR for a male - a female married to a Thai doesn't need to demonstrate employment or income but her husband does. All of these processes take several years.

Edited by Arkady

When I asked this some years ago I was told that you can have 12 months but it means reverting to the normal 1-year extension system with all the usual documentation. So, better to stick with the 6-month no-hassle stamp.

Well, the wait goes on and on...

I wish they would give out the PRs already...all of us deserve some good news considering the present state of affairs.

Edited by SAMCHAROEN

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the wait goes on and on...

I wish they would give out the PRs already...all of us deserve some good news considering the present state of affairs.

I also asked for a 12 month extension on my last visit, but was told that I need to report in & "check the result" every 6 months. I'm in the class of 2006.

On a separate yet related note, looks like more changes are on their way at the Ministry of Interior.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

May be Interior ministry want to see us so old that when and if we acquire the Thai citizen ship we remain here as use less citizens.

Just my thoughts:(

Maybe you are right or maybe they want you to be dead first, as the Royal Bangkok Sports Club found many applicants were when they finally cleared their entire waiting list after virtually blocking new memberships from it for 20 years. Anyway your citizenship application could take another 10 years or more after you get permanent residence.

An interesting explanation as to why the Interior Ministry is dragging its heels so long over PR applications is given here by a poster called Zoowatch . Based on his discussions with friends who are senior Thai civil servants, Zoowatch, who is also Thai, opines that Interior Ministry officials have quietly implemented a moratorium on PR approvals because they are waiting for amendments to the constitution which they presumably feel might affect the process. This is a little strange because, as Zoowatch himself notes, the 2007 constitution has been promulgated since the moratorium begun and there was no change to any provisions to with citizenship (PR is not even mentioned in the constitution). However, I can believe that the freeze may be in anticipation of some sort of anticipated legal change. It is odd that the moratorium applies only to PR and not to citizenship (contrary to Zoowatch's belief), although applications for the latter do proceed at a snail's pace, once in the black hole of the Interior Ministry.

Edited by Arkady

May be Interior ministry want to see us so old that when and if we acquire the Thai citizen ship we remain here as use less citizens.

Maybe you are right or maybe they want you to be dead first, as the Royal Bangkok Sports Club found many applicants were when they finally cleared their entire waiting list after virtually blocking new memberships from it for 20 years. Anyway your citizenship application could take another 10 years or more after you get permanent residence.

An interesting explanation as to why the Interior Ministry is dragging its heels so long over PR applications is given here by a poster called Zoowatch http://www.thaivisa....hai+citizenship . Based on his discussions with friends who are senior Thai civil servants, Zoowatch, who is also Thai, opines that Interior Ministry officials have quietly implemented a moratorium on PR approvals because they are waiting for amendments to the constitution which they presumably feel might affect the process. This is a little strange because, as Zoowatch himself notes, the 2007 constitution has been promulgated since the moratorium begun and there was no change to any provisions to with citizenship (PR is not even mentioned in the constitution). However, I can believe that the freeze may be in anticipation of some sort of anticipated legal change. It is odd that the moratorium applies only to PR and not to citizenship (contrary to Zoowatch's belief), although applications for the latter do proceed at a snail's pace, once in the black hole of the Interior Ministry.

Having a moratorium on applications that have previously been approved by the immigration committee (that includes the Interior Ministry), but sitting in the Ministry waiting for a signature, does not make much sense as they have already met and passed the requirements set out in the current PR guidelines.

If a moratorium is in place (thank you for linking that fascinating thread!) due to a possible change in rules/entitlements for PR then it might make more sense to stop accepting new PR applications until they have changed the pertinent provisions.

I will be applying for Thai citizenship in January as I see little point in just sitting around waiting for PR approval (applied in 2006) when I can apply for citizenship as the spouse of a Thai national. The application seems no more onerous than applying for PR and might even get approved before my PR does.

Edited by aaoaahq

An interesting explanation as to why the Interior Ministry is dragging its heels so long over PR applications is given here by a poster called Zoowatch http://www.thaivisa....hai+citizenship . Based on his discussions with friends who are senior Thai civil servants, Zoowatch, who is also Thai, opines that Interior Ministry officials have quietly implemented a moratorium on PR approvals because they are waiting for amendments to the constitution which they presumably feel might affect the process. This is a little strange because, as Zoowatch himself notes, the 2007 constitution has been promulgated since the moratorium begun and there was no change to any provisions to with citizenship (PR is not even mentioned in the constitution). However, I can believe that the freeze may be in anticipation of some sort of anticipated legal change. It is odd that the moratorium applies only to PR and not to citizenship (contrary to Zoowatch's belief), although applications for the latter do proceed at a snail's pace, once in the black hole of the Interior Ministry.

Having a moratorium on applications that have previously been approved by the immigration committee (that includes the Interior Ministry), but sitting in the Ministry waiting for a signature, does not make much sense as they have already met and passed the requirements set out in the current PR guidelines.

If a moratorium is in place (thank you for linking that fascinating thread!) due to a possible change in rules/entitlements for PR then it might make more sense to stop accepting new PR applications until they have changed the pertinent provisions.

I will be applying for Thai citizenship in January as I see little point in just sitting around waiting for PR approval (applied in 2006) when I can apply for citizenship as the spouse of a Thai national. The application seems no more onerous than applying for PR and might even get approved before my PR does.

I agree with aaoaahq completely....what is the point in keeping so many people waiting for god knows how long when it has already been "approved" ? Makes little sense to me.

I believe that the minister is not at all interested in the affairs of PR applications.

It doesn't take much time to sign papers which have already been investigated and approved by his predecessors.

If in case the theory that they anticipate changes in the PR requirements in future is true, it should be applicable to new PR applications and not retrospectively.

In any case, any changes in constitution (when ever that may be) with regard to PR, is not expected to be anything drastic.

After all, it is the basic right of any married couple to be and stay together as a family.

If at all the theory is true and the minister is actually waiting for changes to the constitution to happen, then we all can kiss good bye to our hopes of getting a Thai PR in the next year or two.

Ironically the only person on this forum who seems to have received their PR approval from the Minister since December 2006 is grtaylor, but was unable to take up the offer due to relocation to the Philippines for work. I wonder how many other applicants have relocated in the last 4 years.

I am aware that PR for foreigners is far down the list of priorities for the Thai Government, but you would assume that the type of foreigner who is able to pass the somewhat stringent application process would be the type of foreigner the Thai Government would like to attract to Thailand. Most of the applicants would be a benefit to Thailand in one way or another, whether running successful businesses in Thailand or working in senior positions in MNCs etc.

Apart from the odd letter in the Bangkok Post or Nation, I haven't seen any press exposure related to the standstill on PR approvals. I understand that PR applicants would be loath to make their PR plight public out of fear that their application would be arbitrarily canned. The 4 year freeze on PR approvals puts even the Purachai era in the shade.

I was intrigued and pleasantly surprised to the read the topic by Zoowatch that Arkady kindly linked to this ongoing thread on PR, but I still can't fathom why the backlog of PR approvals are gathering dust in the Interior Ministry. As long as the immigration department continues to accept PR applications then you would presume that they expect them to be approved based on the existing PR requirements.

As we move towards year 5 of PR application purgatory I hope that this issue will be given more exposure in the mainstream press.

Edited by aaoaahq

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to find information online about Permanent Residency renewal but I can't get any online nor from the Thai Embassy overseas, so any kind soul please help me!

I have Thai permanent residency.

Prior to leaving Thailand, I got the re-entry permit which is going to expire in a few days.

My question is -

What happens if I let it expire? Will my Permanant Residency be revoked? I am unable to travel to Thailand and the embassy here has no information this.

What is the procedure to renewing the Permanant Residency? The costs involved?

On a separate yet related note, looks like more changes are on their way at the Ministry of Interior.

Can you tell us about these changes?

Was just going by what I had read in the press a few weeks ago saying that K. Chaovarat wasn't happy & that he may not remain as Interior Minister. Nothing more than that. Seems to have blown over now & we are back to "situation normal".

You will lose your "Permanent Residence" Status. The only option is to fly here for a day or two and reapply for another re-entry permit.

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to find information online about Permanent Residency renewal but I can't get any online nor from the Thai Embassy overseas, so any kind soul please help me!

Prior to leaving Thailand, I got the re-entry permit which is going to expire in a few days.

My question is -

What happens if I let it expire? Will my Permanant Residency be revoked? I am unable to travel to Thailand and the embassy here has no information this.

Hi Guys,

My question is -

If you let it expire (your re-entry, that is), it will be expired (your PR status, that is).

You have three choices:

1. Come back in time and get your stamp.

2. Apply again from srcatch.

3.Re-enter as a tourist.

Cheers, I hope this helped.

Hi Guys,

My question is -

If you let it expire (your re-entry, that is), it will be expired (your PR status, that is).

You have three choices:

3.Re-enter as a tourist.

Unfortunately Immigration has no flexibility in this matter whatsoever. According the law they must revoke your PR, if you can't make it back before your re-entry stamp expires. A friend was inadvertently delayed coming back to Thailand beyond the cut off date, as he had to have an emergency operation to save his life and brought back detailed documentation from the hospital to vouch for the reason for the delay. Immigration was highly sympathetic but revoked his PR and invited him to re-apply the next December.

The procedure for renewing PR is to apply again from scratch and pay the full fees, assuming you are still qualified by being on a work permit for the last three years and having the last three complete calendar years' of tax receipts. It is not a thing to give up lightly.

Edited by Arkady

You have three choices:

3.Re-enter as a tourist.

Unfortunately Immigration has no flexibility in this matter whatsoever. According the law they must revoke your PR, if you can't make it back before your re-entry stamp expires. A friend was inadvertently delayed coming back to Thailand beyond the cut off date, as he had to have an emergency operation to save his life and brought back detailed documentation from the hospital to vouch for the reason for the delay. Immigration was highly sympathetic but revoked his PR and invited him to re-apply the next December.

The procedure for renewing PR is to apply again from scratch and pay the full fees, assuming you are still qualified by being on a work permit for the last three years and having the last three complete calendar years' of tax receipts. It is not a thing to give up lightly.

Gee, that's harsh. So, the permance of the residency permit resides with a single window of reporting rather than being permanently (with brief exceptions) in the country, and humanitarian reasons will not be considered. I find that rather tough.