Questions about going to Laos to apply for Thailand visa

Hello, I am planning to book a flight on Nok Air, flying to Udon Thani from DM, then bus to Nong Khai. This will be my first time making this trip and so I have come upon a few questions. If I arrive at Udon say at 7:00am, what time can I do my visa stuff at the border? When booking a round trip flight, how many days should I allow for? I hear most apply and go pick up visa the next day?

Thanks ubonjoe, also should i try to arrive as early as possible to make sure i can apply and receive the passport the next afternoon? Or for example arriving at 8am or 11am would both be ok?

You need to be there by 11. They have been calling numbers as late as 3 or 4 PM on busy days according to reports I have seen. With people still getting their visas the next afternoon.

Avoid Mondays and Thursdays they are the busy days.

I have done this a few times using the early 6am nok air flight.

There is a minibus service at the airport which takes you to the friendship bridge (150baht I think and about 45mins). Getting through immigration at the bridge can take about an hour.

Once through, there are loads of taxis which will take you to the embassy for 300-400baht (taking about 45 mins from memory).

Once at the embassy I have typically waited for 1-2 hours before being called to submit the application.

Next day I normally arrive about 12 to half past, and it has usually taken me about an hour to pick passport up.

There are minibuses wating outside embassy to take you to the bridge (100-200baht I think)

Getting back accross the bridge is a bit quicker coming back. Once back in Thailand, getting from the bridge to Udon there are minibuses that take you back but not so obvious, thres a seated waitng area so ask around there. I have used the nok air minibus and paid the driver 150baht.

I have flown back on the 5pm flight and that was perfect timing but there is another flight at 6:35pm to play safe, but I would say definately get the 6am flight going there.

• Like 1

There is a minibus service at the airport which takes you to the friendship bridge (150baht I think and about 45mins). Getting through immigration at the bridge can take about an hour.

Once through, there are loads of taxis which will take you to the embassy for 300-400baht (taking about 45 mins from memory).

Once at the embassy I have typically waited for 1-2 hours before being called to submit the application.

Next day I normally arrive about 12 to half past, and it has usually taken me about an hour to pick passport up.

There are minibuses wating outside embassy to take you to the bridge (100-200baht I think)

Getting back accross the bridge is a bit quicker coming back. Once back in Thailand, getting from the bridge to Udon there are minibuses that take you back but not so obvious, thres a seated waitng area so ask around there. I have used the nok air minibus and paid the driver 150baht.

I have flown back on the 5pm flight and that was perfect timing but there is another flight at 6:35pm to play safe, but I would say definately get the 6am flight going there.

Thanks so much for the detailed info. I will prob try to use that exact schedule. I am going to pay overstay fee at DM airport, then take this Nok Air flight/bus trip. I assume that is acceptable for proof of leaving Thailand after paying overstay fee?

Thanks so much for the detailed info. I will prob try to use that exact schedule. I am going to pay overstay fee at DM airport, then take this Nok Air flight/bus trip. I assume that is acceptable for proof of leaving Thailand after paying overstay fee?

You will pay the overstay at the bridge in Nong Kai. You will not clear immigration at DM. The flight is considered a domestic flight because it lands in Udon.