Fighting - This pet peeve

sensei

My apologies.
I just need to vent.

I'm just wondering if I am alone in this.

Every time I hear this, it sounds like fingernails to the chalkboard to me.

A student goes to a competition...
Students will have an exam...
Teachers have tons of work to do...
The basketball team plays agains the rival team...

I hear my students shout, "FIGHTING!"

It is meant to cheer, boost, or encourage someone.
I guess it is also meant to stir the willies in me.

Fist of all, it sounds grammatically wrong. the word FIGHTING is not a verb. I have gotten used to hearing the words GO! or FIGHT! to cheer someone on...

I have tried doing my share in correcting this but this has found its way into LINE sticker apps spreading its use a lot more.

Back to my question...

Am I right in thinking that this is not grammatically sound?

you are correct.. fighting or fight-o-

blame line for this nonsense.. but it also might be the beginning of the evolution of the english language.. so dont get left behind

fight-o-

!!  

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

Grammar Nazis! Lock me up and throw away the key!

I got quite messed up myself. FIGHTING is a verb too but they are using it in the wron form/tense.

Yes...
When someone says, "I am boring!"
I want to say, "Yes! Gramatically wrong too!"

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Don't fight it....All too often we apply our logic - which - in the long run is not good for US....makes no difference to them....enjoy the difference - it's what keeps you here.. ..
  • Like 1

It probably comes from the Thai phrase 'su su' (sorry, not allowed to use Thai script here) which means 'don't give up' or 'keep on going'. The single version of the word 'su' means 'fight' 'contend' or 'to be against' and may well be translated to 'fighting' in some dictionaries.

Some Thai people struggle with English verbs as they have different forms for different tenses which Thai verbs don't have. So they can often use the wrong tense.

Sounds irritating though, I understand why you might not like to hear it smile.png

Best observed at Muay Thai fights, exactly like you say, dont give up, keep going.

Also the Thais will say the same to some neighbour with a problem, su su, dont bend over and take it up the ass, keep fighting.

Apologise for being so frank with above remark, its all to do with Thai connotation.

• Like 1

In both Korea and Japan they use the expression. 

Korea: Hwaiting! 

Japan: Fight-o! 

So dont dismiss the effects of Engrish and popular culture. Its just slang, innit! The idea that it might just be a mistake is incorrect. Look at the cover of any magazine in Japan marketed directly at young 20 something women. Youll find at least one or two semi-incomprehensible phrases. It's not to test their readers English ability, but to market slogans that sound cool and above all 'feel' English at them. Its about cache. And English speaks of cosmopolitanism and a worldly outlook and this of course taps into how they see themselves. Ah, Barthes, were it not for a rogue milk float... he'd love this world of signs.  

Edited by inutil

@inutil
I hope you know what your user name means in the Filipino language smile.png

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Filipinos use this to express serious frustration with a person. 

Inutil ka!
You're frickin' useless!

• 2 weeks later...