Thai editorial: Road ahead for NCPO is set to get bumpier

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What happens to Yingluck will be closely watched. Accusing her of turning a blind eye to corruption is one thing; implicating her in graft and thus making her face imprisonment is another.

Justice cannot be served in a system where what people think take precedence over guilt or innocence. The courts must be able to render verdicts without fear.

Agree.

And IMHO we should expect better than this floppy comment from the Nation. A newspaper that wants to be taken seriously should be advocating and using a theme of total respect for the law / complete and appropriate application of the law no matter who the suspect is.

Nobody would claim that reform is easy. So far the generals have done a damn good job, and no doubt they know full well that there's still some quite difficult steps ahead and there will be bumps.

Given their track record so far I'm very willing to give them the support they need to get through the bumps.

Quote: "The next few weeks are very critical as far as the NCPO is concerned. Criticism has been expected, but what the junta is experiencing now will be nothing compared to what it will face if the reform process is perceived to be prejudiced or lukewarm. The uneasy relationship with a big portion of the public, specifically those who "understand" the coup, could unravel at the first signs of insincerity."

Perhaps the Nation could explain why they are starting to say pessimistic things and why they are even mentioning anything about the generals being insincere. In my understanding there is no valid reason whatever to talk like this.  So what is the Nation trying to do, plant seeds of discontent?

I say again I expect better than this from the Nation.

Go generals go!

"A newspaper that wants to be taken seriously should be advocating and using a theme of total respect for the law / complete and appropriate application of the law no matter who the suspect is."

You place a low threashhold of trust and belief in a legal system created by a military Junta that overthrew an elected government operating in accordance to the Constitution and the Rule of Laws established by the 2006 Junta, Parliament House and Senate. A Junta that now grants itself amensty from its violation of the 2007 Constitution and enjoins to establish absolute power over the Interim Government and rule by edits that are not subject to review or approval. The Nation offers a candid and appropriate viewpoint.

I would shout as well your statement "Go generals go," but perhaps in a different vain.

Learn to use the correct spelling of "vein"    PS.  Does the fact that your lawful elected government appears to have been looting the treasury and robbing the poor, as well as aiding ad abbetting armed terrorists to murder their critics with impunity do anything to lower their stature from the "paragons of virtue" that you laud them with?

In the army soldiers are taught to obey, they work as a team but a country is not a military unit and never will be. Army regimes in the past, in various countries around the world have tried to oppress and pacify their people but have never succeeded. Every dictatorship has always ended in failure, so will this latest coup be any different?
I not being a pessimist but a realist basing my outlook not only on history but the general inability of the Thai people to work together for a united country.
Thailand is still feudal and therefore the army's task of trying to make everyone into good, law abiding citizens is absolutely impossible. Their successes to date are both minor and shortlived as you all will see. Thailand is like a school playground, mayhem and chaos, and no way the army can keep control for long. Too many factions, too many greedy people, too many ass*oles.
Think what you can do for your country has long gone, now its only what your country can do for you.

Blame the army--history of juntas--anything will do.  Some dictatorships do end in failure, Thaksins was what we call a sweet dictatorship.  3 years of an elected government who governed for themselves and put the country up the Swanee.

Agree with a lot of what you say, but the only hope now is to back the army and let us see the outcome---nothing to lose--that was lost in the last 3 years (and maybe the 7 years before it)
I cannot recall a single dictatorship that ever succeeded in anything but rather that every dictatorship succeeded only in destroying their own countries.

Thailand is fast running out of time, reminding me of Nero playing the fiddle while Rome burned to the ground. The general is ill equipped and unqualified for the task of running this country, he is a soldier, and soldiers are too rigid, too tunnel visioned, lack imagination and business sense. The army are supposed to serve not control.

Quote " fast running out of time"    don't make me laugh, ridiculous.  I would call Thaksins regime more of a dictatorship than the army clean up, in the aftermath of a disgraced government.

You talk out of your propaganda, better I put it that way.     He is that good he can do both---serve and control.
PTP served (themselves) and with Yingluck as defense minister  JOKE and you say the army are not qualified.   Yingluck qualified ??  Chalerm qualified ??  PTP cabinet qualified ???      If they were qualified -what happened. ????   (Sutheps fault) ??  talk sense -make sure your ex government were competent before slagging off the army.

You seem obsessed with my comments, am I striking a cord so that you find a need to counter my every reply?

I am not slagging anyone, merely pointing out that the army are not qualified to run a country. A soldier is but a soldier.

As the Roman Stoics used to say: "Fiat iustitia, ruat caelum", or paraphrased in English "Let justice be done, even if it brings the sky crashing down."

Nobody can guarantee the future will be better than today. Gen. Prayuth's job is to stoically push forward with reforms no matter what the populous may think, because that is the right thing to do. I believe Prayuth is a genuinely good man with best wishes for his country and he will do the right thing.

If we are to play at Latin tags perhaps Tacitus is equally appropriate regarding the Junta and it's actions. "Ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant"; ie "they create a desert and call it peace".

They may have created peace, but only because no one dare contradict them. Politically Thailand is now an intellectual desert. Only the Generals and the Colonels are allowed an opinion. As you say above.... "no matter what the population think, because that is the right thing to do".

Pure Fascism.

Edited by Cthulhu

I had a Fiat once. It was very rusty and used to veer to the right at the slightest provocation. Heater controls were broken and used to produce a constant droning noise and lots of hot air!! Oddly enough it was painted yellow.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app Edited by JAG
  • Like 1

The NCPO have overlooked some major flaws in the censorship of the media.

We live in a highly advanced technology era and can use this to fight censorship which has been and still is a very effective and efficient tool at protecting our right of free speech.

Using services such as Tor or advanced VPN's we can not only hide our identity but also the information contained, reducing fear of prosecution. Even government's are not going to bother with heavily encrypted unknown source traffic.

This method breaks the chinese censorship which is by far the most extreme in the world. Giving people the forum to speak in and the safety to say what needs to be said.

I do not believe the media should make governments happy nor the implementation of local laws which hide or distort the events in the news, particularly at a time like this when people need the truth.

Social media is the best tool for public applying pressure to a Government, it is full world public view, so can and will be monitored by the international community. If the chances of internal resolution die and human rights are being breached then international support would come wether they like it or not.

I belive many governments misunderstand todays technology, and just how censorship is not really possible anymore.

IMHO media censorship has normally been to hide the wrong doings of a military force in power and for me history speaks loudest. What do the NCPO have to hide?

Well you asked a good question. Suppose you tell us.

Remember the news paper is in Thailand and what ever you think it is supposed to do is what you think they should do and maybe you are rite. What they actually do is print articles designed to sell the newspaper. I have no problem with censorship I for one would like to read the news about what is going on. Not what will sell a newspaper.

I for one am tired of free speech being used as a tool to spout nonsense and promote disunity where unity is needed. Then again that is me. Maybe others like the stream of what ever will sell as compared to facts. That is their preference and their rite. The Nation is one of the better sources in Thailand for that kind of information.

Equality in prosecution must prevail. If Yingluck faces charges, so must Suthep and others for the laws they have broken. The Elite and their representatives must also face the music, including their ilk. The law is for everyone and should be applied to everyone. This is the true litmus test.

BUt, but, but Suthep..........     It never stops

Maybe if Suthep had dedicated as much time to photo ops and world traveling as Yingluck it would be a fair comparison. But no he was staying home trying to put an end to corruption. (Yingluck's contribution to ending corruption was cutting the funding to the commission charged with exposing it.)  Well as much as he could. It will always be in a government no matter what country they are in. But most countries it was not as ingrained as it was here in Thailand.