Sleep-deprived Bangkok bus driver plows into motorcycle taxi stand

webfact

There is a reason why tachometers were introduced many years ago. How long will it take Thailand to implement such Western things?

I think you meant "governor", governor.

He might also have been referring to a tachograph?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_tachograph

Assuming the Tachograph is not tampered to give false readings, who will pay any attention to correct readings that indicate a bus driver issue?

The problem with western control systems are that they become meaningless when warning signals are ignored. And how many owners of defective vehicles, buildings etc actually do any jail time when there's a crash, or a fire or some other incident that results in injury or loss of life?

I venture to suggest very few and I'm sad to say that this fact means there is no incentive for any business owner to pay attention to safety over profit. Well, apart from their own desire to work to a decent moral code.............what am I saying, I completely lost track of where I am.

Anyway, lack of regulatory follow up, willingness to circumvent safety regulations, lack of prosecution for rule breakers. You get the picture, spending money on machines doesn't help. It's the people that are the problem.

• Like 1

There is a reason why tachometers were introduced many years ago. How long will it take Thailand to implement such Western things?

I think you meant "governor", governor.

If the driver was sleep-deprived and fell asleep at the wheel, neither a tachograph nor a governor would have prevented the prang.

An aside - the orange buses are the worst - privateer contractors with lax management oversight and decrepit vehicles.

Yes, I know Pracha Songkhro very well and have even ridden those smaller, #12 buses on Pracha on a few occasions. They are higher-performance than the larger buses and some drivers push it. That particular intersection is a series of accidents waiting to happen. In the morning they have to have a BiB there to keep it relatively sane. When this happened the traffic must have been light because usually the southbound approach to the intersection (nightmare would be a better word) is in gridlock, so he must have had not much in front of him and was making good speed.

The intersection is a result of Pracha Songkhro's having to "borrow" a section of its Soi 14 for about a (widened) block to connect the northern section with the southern section. This requires two ridiculous (usually un-traffic-controlled) 90 degree turns for all vehicles desiring to continue on Pracha Songkhro north/south. The taxi stand was directly on one of the turns so it was a prime target for any vehicle that failed to negotiate it for any reason. I saw a bus one day that had failed to judge even a graceful curve on Pracha Songkhro and hit the curb, blowing a tire. I know, more info than one needs to know about Pracha Songkhro.

A quick recovery to the injured and, thankfully, no fatalities.

Edited by MaxYakov

Sounds to me like he managed to fit a wholesome 8 hours per day sleep into his busy schedule.

24-17=7. Then subtract commute time to/from work. Time to eat while off. Shower/dress before work. Probably got 5 hours or so. Maybe less.

I hope the owner of the company pays heavily for this.

Ever heard of multitasking? Clearly he was sleeping during his work hours.

Sounds to me like he managed to fit a wholesome 8 hours per day sleep into his busy schedule.

24-17=7. Then subtract commute time to/from work. Time to eat while off. Shower/dress before work. Probably got 5 hours or so. Maybe less.

I hope the owner of the company pays heavily for this.

Ever heard of multitasking? Clearly he was sleeping during his work hours.

One, perhaps more, of the bus drivers has/had a TV installed so he can watch it while driving. I'm not kidding and I have pics of it.

Edited by MaxYakov

worked 17 hours plus 1/2 hour eating (fast food) plus 1/2 hour getting home plus 8 hours sleep = 26 hours hmmmm

The bus companies are unlikely to regulate hours when they can't even maintain the buses properly

Looks like he was getting two hours sleep a day while at the wheel.

Those little orange buses are a nightmare on wheels .... total lack in driving or care for other cars , not surprise about this accident , thanks god there are only 3 injured ... How can you work so much and rest so little when you have to carry passengers .....I will never understand the Thainess.

Only three injured but one had a leg severed :-(

Those little orange buses are a nightmare on wheels .... total lack in driving or care for other cars , not surprise about this accident , thanks god there are only 3 injured ... How can you work so much and rest so little when you have to carry passengers .....I will never understand the Thainess.

Tachometers were introduced to vehicles to indicate the engine revolution rate. How would a rev counter have helped in this, or any, traffic accident?

It comes down to enforcement of laws, and the imposition of penalties, and jail time. Since the courts are so heavily compromised, the latter is unlikely if the owner of the mini van company has money, unless he wants his driver to be a sacrificial lamb. If they would get serious and hand out the kind of punishment that this guy deserves, that may bring down the number of such incidents. I think 5-10 years of hard time for a major assault like this would be appropriate. And forfeiture of the mini van. And a fine of 5 million baht levied on the company owner. This would be a wake up call to these guys. Perhaps they would insist that the drivers be qualified, get enough rest in between shifts, etc. As of now, there just is not enough incentive to enforce these kinds of standards, with the monkey courts in place. Reform the judiciary. That is priority number one. Priority number two is the creation of traffic safety standards, and the enforcement of them. Time to wake up. The slumber has gone on for too many years.