Spanish man arrested for 'ATM skimming' in Pattaya

webfact

Spanish Man Arrested For 'ATM Skimming' in Pattaya
By Khaosod English

14065264821406526506l.jpg
Police in the resort town of Pattaya say they have arrested a Spanish citizen behind an ATM card skimming scheme.

CHONBURI — Police in the resort town of Pattaya say they have arrested a Spanish citizen behind an ATM card skimming scheme.

Fernando Manuel Navaro, 56, has been installing skimming devices in a number of ATMs around Pattaya and stealing data from credit cards, said Pol.Maj.Gen. Sanit Mahathaworn.

Pol.Maj.Gen. Sanit said Mr. Navaro used the data to create copies of the ATM cards and withdraw large amounts of money from the victims' bank accounts.

A police raid on Mr. Navaro's residence reportedly turned up one ATM card skimming device, 109 copies of ATM cards, and more than 1,000 blank ATM cards.

Police did not say how much money was stolen through the scheme, but Pol.Maj.Gen. Sanit placed the figure at "tens of millions baht."

Mr. Navaro is charged with producing counterfeit electronic cards and possessing a device to produce counterfeit electronic cards. If found guilty, he could face up to fix years in prison and a 100,000 baht fine.

According to Pol.Maj.Gen. Sanit, Mr. Navaro said he worked for a "Romanian gang" in Pattaya.

"He was hired by the Romanians to skim these ATM cards for 15,000 baht," Pol.Maj.Gen. Sanit said.

ATM skimming is a common crime in tourist areas in Thailand. Police have advised the public to check for any suspicious signs on ATMs — such as loose number pad — before they withdraw their money.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1406526482

[khaosod]2014-07-28[/khaosod]

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the hell these criminals work always for a gang? If i would to commit such a crime, i would work alone.

Bingo ... You simply would have to be the Village Idiot to do this and not take that considerable sum of money ... by any standard ... while absorbing this level of risk.

People will say that the sentence is "too light."  We can argue that.

Personally, one day in a Thai prison would be quite enough for me ... thank you.

1,825 days?

I would beg the officer driving me there to borrow his Glock.  And I mean that literally.

This picture is a fake.  There are only 3 police in it, and not the normal dozen or so.

You're right finger pointing on this detail. Other staffs, briefed on efficiency, may now be busy getting job done on other cases. 

Edited by Alainpm
  • Like 1

Definitely good that he was arrested; however, wouldn't the next logical step be to arrange a sting operation and have him meet with his "Romanian gang" associates and thereby arrest more of the people involved?  

Of course this is what they should have done but for some reason unknown to us they decided to allow the gang to continue operating whilst arresting the low hanging fruit.

Why is that ?

Who is the foreign woman in the photo and why is she there ?

The gang connection is just the standard answer to avoid search for the hidden money. And why is nobody pointing a finger a the Spaniard? The girl in the background should point a finger at least?

No wonder so many people are starting to carry cash again. It must be hard to spot a Skimmer device for so many people to be ripped off. I carried a dummy wallet on my last trip to JJ market and three hours AFTER leaving it was lifted. Although it was empty I still felt violated and upset I never felt it. It was in a cargo pocket. I can only imagine the horrible feeling of being a victim of such a criminal as shown on here.

What I found strange is why those people are chosing Thailand....In Europe and the US any ATM machines probably hold a lot more money than here to get in a single withdraw....May the Thailand's ATM be easier to skimm?

Yes agreed, the ATM security must be more vulnerable becuase this is quite a frequently reported crime in Thailand.  Either that or there isn't as much CCTV!?!

There is a simple solution if you are worried about ATM fraud......go inside the bank and draw out your money, just like we all did in the old days. Also you can draw out as much as you want.

• Like 1

Always check the ATM machine and look around to see if anybody is hanging around the ATM keeping an eye on it to remove the skimmer.

I only use ATM outside the bank, haven't been scammed, yet.

I think thats sound advise.

Thanks to the EU's free movement policy my home country has been invaded by East European criminals from Romania and Bulgaria
Even in the sleepy part of the country from which I emanate shoplifting in groups of 4 or 5 has become endemic
The problem is that no political party is ruthless on law and order. The country is just sleep walking into becoming a totally crime ridden hell hole trapped between militant Islamists and imported European felons
The indigenous criminal fraternity are heartily fed up with all these aliens stealing their thunder
Hopefully the authorities in Thailand will keep us safe from the same lawlessness but I have my doubts

You can't write like this in Finland anymore or you are labeled inhuman racist and whatnot.

• Like 2

Penwithcris,well said.I agree with all you say.I assume you are refering to Britain.A wonderful country that has been ruined by the most usless, incompetent politicians in history.They should hold their heads in shame.If you want to check out a website that is opposing the situation check out www.britainfirst.org or www.migrantwatch.com.You will learn a lot from the glimmer of hope these organisations have to offer.Let us hope the same thing does not happen to Thailand. How would Thais like it if they were treated like Aliens in their own country?
  • Like 1