Pursuing Masters Degree: ABAC, Dhurakij Pundit, or Webster?

Decided to go for a Master's degree here in Thailand because I'm already here and it's A more economical decision for me than returning home to the US.

I have a B.A. in Modern Language Studies with a Linguistics Minor. I currently teach and would like to teach at the University level here in Thailand and then move on to Japan or Korea.

I'm faced with two choices: first, should I opt for an MA in English Education without further thought, or is it in my interests to choose something I'm a little more interested in (M.A. Philosophy)? In other words, for purposes of teaching, does it really matter what my Master's is in as long as I have a Master's?

Secondly, which of the three universities I mentioned would one recommend?

Thanks,

JS

First question. Why do you want to do an MA?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I could do an MA in something I love, like philosophy, or I could do an MA in education merely to increase my value, then move on to Japan or Korea at the University level to make half decent money.

I like their thesis format. My university has a real problem with having the format in English. The research and statistics class was very weak too. AU's format makes me think they know what they are doing while my university does not.

Assumption doesn't seem to have a problem with staff. Their new website profiles their instructors. They appear to have many instructors with research experience. This will help when picking an advisor when you do your thesis. If I had to do it over again, knowing what I know now, I would go to Assumption for my MBA and not Payap.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Will Japan or Korea accept a degree from Thailand?

According to their website, ABAC has worked closely in conjunction with the following schools, so it stands to reason that they are somewhat respected in Japan (although perhaps especially at Christian Unis).

North East Asia:

• Gakushuin University, Japan

• Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong

• Kansai Gaidai University, Japan

• Ryukoku University, Japan

• Seisen University, Japan

• Sogang University

• The Catholic University of South Korea, Korea

• University of the Sacred Heart, Japan

Source: http://www.au.edu/index.php/academics/accreditation-joint-degree

Education is international trade. According to the World Trade Organization (WTO) rules of trade, Japan has to accept it as they are also are in the WTO. If they did not, Thailand could start rejecting Japanese diplomas if needed as employment for any particular job in Thailand.

Article VII, paragraph 3 of the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS) states

"A Member shall not accord recognition in a manner which would constitute a means of discrimination between countries in the application of its standards or criteria for the authorization, licensing or certification of services suppliers, or a disguised restriction on trade in services."
To me, this means, when a foreigner comes to Thailand to study for a degree and then leaves to go abroad, that degree should be recognized in other countries. If a degree from the USA is accepted, then a degree from Thailand should be as well. Otherwise, it appears to be discrimination under this WTO rule.

Also, when I emailed Harvard University in the USA and asked if they would take a bachelor's degree from Payap University they replied:

"As long as the government institution that regulates education where the university is located, accredits that university, then they would accept a degree from that university as meeting the basic requirements of a bachelor's degree in order to pursue a master degree at Harvard University. However, they still must pass the rest of the admissions process such as an interview, essay or any language requirements".

This was recently proven when one of Payap's International Business Management B.B.A. graduate was accepted to study at Harvard University.

Education is international trade. According to the World Trade Organization (WTO) rules of trade, Japan has to accept it as they are also are in the WTO. If they did not, Thailand could start rejecting Japanese diplomas if needed as employment for any particular job in Thailand.

Article VII, paragraph 3 of the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS) states

"A Member shall not accord recognition in a manner which would constitute a means of discrimination between countries in the application of its standards or criteria for the authorization, licensing or certification of services suppliers, or a disguised restriction on trade in services."
To me, this means, when a foreigner comes to Thailand to study for a degree and then leaves to go abroad, that degree should be recognized in other countries. If a degree from the USA is accepted, then a degree from Thailand should be as well. Otherwise, it appears to be discrimination under this WTO rule.

Also, when I emailed Harvard University in the USA and asked if they would take a bachelor's degree from Payap University they replied:

"As long as the government institution that regulates education where the university is located, accredits that university, then they would accept a degree from that university as meeting the basic requirements of a bachelor's degree in order to pursue a master degree at Harvard University. However, they still must pass the rest of the admissions process such as an interview, essay or any language requirements".

This was recently proven when one of Payap's International Business Management B.B.A. graduate was accepted to study at Harvard University.

Excellent stuff rich. thanks

Doesn't stop the NHS (national health service) from insisting that nurses from the Philippines attend a 1 year top up course. The actual nursing degree was accepted, with conditions!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Scott, true. But the question was asked if Japan would accept a degree from Thailand. Foreign education falls under trade in services. As far as having the basic degree, it should be accepted. Not accepting a degree only because it comes from Thailand is a form of discrimination. This is especially true if Japanese Universities accept the same degree for continued study of a Japanese individual in higher education that a business rejects only because it was received in Thailand. If it is a question of a license then degrees from Japan would also be required to get the license.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you are a Dr. or a nurse, from most countries your degree is accepted in many other countries, but you may have to re-do your residency and you may have to pass a licensure exam in that country. That is to practice your profession. You still have your degree and it is valid, but you can't work necessarily work in the country.

Most people wouldn't have trouble continuing their studies based on a degree from a foreign country, but they might have trouble practicing their profession, that's all I am saying. They are two different things.

If you are a Dr. or a nurse, from most countries your degree is accepted in many other countries, but you may have to re-do your residency and you may have to pass a licensure exam in that country. That is to practice your profession. You still have your degree and it is valid, but you can't work necessarily work in the country.

Most people wouldn't have trouble continuing their studies based on a degree from a foreign country, but they might have trouble practicing their profession, that's all I am saying. They are two different things.

I totally agree with you Scott! :)

That's true. My wife's nursing degree and masters from Thailand allowed her to do a PhD in Australia.Even if she wanted to go back to work in OZ she would still have to take some course and do the nursing registration exam. That's the requirement for all applicants, regardless of origin. Many Thai students go overseas to study, based on their Thai education (school or uni). Licensing and practice is a different ball game.

• 2 months later...

Im also interested in a masters in bkk....or chiangmai.

I have made a thread but its always nice to hear from fresh posters.

What I'd like to know is about the pros and cons of full time or part time. Group work with unreliable people is a pain....

No money in doing a philosophy masters unless you are top notch and want to lecture in the subject, in which case you should really register for an M.Phil with a view to taking a PhD. However since philosophy departments are mostly contracting, even post-grad quals might not help you.

• 4 months later...

I believe masters in international relations will be the perfect program for you to enroll at Webster University Thailand. MA in International relations at Webster University Thailand is very popular in Thailand. They have a very qualified professors and strong alumni network. Since, you looking career aboard, having the internationally accredited degree at Webster University Thailand will be the better choice.

I believe masters in international relations will be the perfect program for you to enroll at Webster University Thailand. MA in International relations at Webster University Thailand is very popular in Thailand. They have a very qualified professors and strong alumni network. Since, you looking career aboard, having the internationally accredited degree at Webster University Thailand will be the better choice.

But first google Webster's and read some of the alleged problems!

According to their website, ABAC has worked closely in conjunction with the following schools, so it stands to reason that they are somewhat respected in Japan (although perhaps especially at Christian Unis).

North East Asia:

• Sogang University

I would take Assumption over the other two institutions every day of the week and weekends too. Let me be even plainer. I would only take Assumption from that list of three provided by the OP.

Webster University Thailand is among the few private university in Thailand running the international program successfully from 17 years in Thailand. Webster University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission from USA, which covers the University's campus in Thailand. In addition, the campus in Thailand is accredited locally by Office of the Higher Education Commission Thailand and Ministry of Education under Thai law. In 2013, the Webster University Thailand campus was awarded the "Prime Minister's Business Excellence Award and earned an "excellent" rating from Thailand's Office of National Education Standards and Quality Assessment.

In some cases accreditation of an institution running a course overseas can amount to little more than a junket exercise. The key is whether each individual course is separately validated and accredited for delivery overseas. What some institutions do is to have a course validated at the home location and just have the campus validated at the overseas location. The fun and games begin at the point of delivery. What you will rarely find is a rigorous procedure similar to that of the UK HEQC. Private institutions should be approached with a long spoon and especially those with a history of negative feedback on management operations.

North East Asia:

• Sogang University

I would take Assumption over the other two institutions every day of the week and weekends too. Let me be even plainer. I would only take Assumption from that list of three provided by the OP.

I might even recommend steering away from Assumption in favour of a local Thai university. A lot of what passes for international contacts can amount to little more than window dressing.

I know a few people who finished their Masters Degrees from Webster. I helped one with his Master's Thesis. It was a well done program.

He did part of the program in Thailand but finished on-line from the US branch of the program.

I know a few people who finished their Masters Degrees from Webster. I helped one with his Master's Thesis. It was a well done program.

He did part of the program in Thailand but finished on-line from the US branch of the program.

One of the key problems with institutions that accept students with low entry qualifications is the delivery of the Master's thesis. It is not uncommon for the student to have poor English writing skills as well as incapability in understanding whatever it is that they are supposed to be delivering. The institutions know this and in particular with 'private' colleges which want to push the students through regardless, there is a dumbing down of the supervision process and a looking away when a student with poor English suddenly delivers their project with excellent grammar and stock development of arguments which were never presented in the meetings with the supervisor. Colleges mixing it up with online modules are candidates for the peek-a-boo quality monitoring of what is going on, but since they are reliant on the camouflage don't expect too much in the way of lifting the stones. All frontal floss and happy students who got something they otherwise wouldn't have. The unhappy ones are the ones who actually wanted an education and it is they who are mostly complaining.

One of the key problems with institutions that accept students with low entry qualifications is the delivery of the Master's thesis. It is not uncommon for the student to have poor English writing skills as well as incapability in understanding whatever it is that they are supposed to be delivering. The institutions know this and in particular with 'private' colleges which want to push the students through regardless, there is a dumbing down of the supervision process and a looking away when a student with poor English suddenly delivers their project with excellent grammar and stock development of arguments which were never presented in the meetings with the supervisor. Colleges mixing it up with online modules are candidates for the peek-a-boo quality monitoring of what is going on, but since they are reliant on the camouflage don't expect too much in the way of lifting the stones. All frontal floss and happy students who got something they otherwise wouldn't have. The unhappy ones are the ones who actually wanted an education and it is they who are mostly complaining.

Actually, English was not this student's problem. I did proof-read it for him, but there wasn't a single grammatical error in the entire thesis. His problem was in doing some of the statistical analysis that was required for analyzing the data. Statistics was his weakness and without being on a campus or near a university, it meant having less options for learning to do it himself.

His research was innovative and had never been done before at least not in Thailand and I suspect may be no where else, since he was unable to find a review of previous studies or data.

He earned his Master's Degree, but I do see your point and some of the interaction with other students, discussions and stimulation that just doesn't occur easily on-line, is missing.

Archived