Cheap Thai Women

lordofdelusion

Here's a departure from the usual greedy Thai women (hooker) thread. My Thai girlfriend, and her sister are cheap. Thrifty, penny pinching, tight economical, whatever. Her sister is married to an American who first pointed this out to me. Do any of you, who have a Thai mate have a similar situation? They won't let me leave a decent tip or buy them anything extravagant. My girlfriend is helping me look for a place for us to live now and is constantly finding these shacks in less than desirable areas. I assure her it's OK to spend this much but she says I should save my money. It's kinda sweet really. She gives a lot to her local temple to make merit but otherwise lives simply. Just a cultural thing or is she an exception? Sure is different from the American women!! :o

Here's a departure from the usual greedy Thai women (hooker) thread. My Thai girlfriend, and her sister are cheap. Thrifty, penny pinching, tight economical, whatever. Her sister is married to an American who first pointed this out to me. Do any of you, who have a Thai mate have a similar situation? They won't let me leave a decent tip or buy them anything extravagant. My girlfriend is helping me look for a place for us to live now and is constantly finding these shacks in less than desirable areas. I assure her it's OK to spend this much but she says I should save my money. It's kinda sweet really. She gives a lot to her local temple to make merit but otherwise lives simply. Just a cultural thing or is she an exception? Sure is different from the American women!! :o

Depends on the girl, definately not a cultural thing

I wouldn't say my Thai wife is Cheap but she is careful in the extreme... When we go to the supermarket like Big C she will stand at the end of the checkout and cross check all the items on the bill. sheesh!

Greg

[When we go to the supermarket like Big C she will stand at the end of the checkout and cross check all the items on the bill. sheesh!

Greg

Mine won't let me go to Big C/Tesco often because they are "too expensive". She prefers to haggle at the markets.

When we bought the last truck she haggled down to the last baht then first thing we did was take it to the local Wat and spent a few thousand baht getting it blessed! :o

well, lord, that is certainly a major generalization. I am an American woman and am quite a thrifty person. Not cheap, and not willing to live in a shack but certainly know how to stretch my money further than most.

So, like most things, it depends on the person, not the culture.

Well my fiancee always looks for the cheaper version of the product, but unless we know the cheaper tastes like crap we will buy the better one.

Nothing wrong with that, why pay more for fancy packaging when in most cases its not any better???

If your wife was the opposite and just bought the expensive stuff some people will start complaining about how much she spends on the expensive products.

Am i correct or not?? :o

I have a similar experience, but I have seen enough other examples to agree that it mostly depends on the person.

If you are going to buy a house, not rent, chances are you may find that she is more willing to spend some money. :D

well, lord, that is certainly a major generalization. I am an American woman and am quite a thrifty person. Not cheap, and not willing to live in a shack but certainly know how to stretch my money further than most.

Remember you are an American women who has chosen to consider a different lifestyle in a foreigh country. You are not average. :o

[When we go to the supermarket like Big C she will stand at the end of the checkout and cross check all the items on the bill. sheesh!

Greg

Mine won't let me go to Big C/Tesco often because they are "too expensive". She prefers to haggle at the markets.

When we bought the last truck she haggled down to the last baht then first thing we did was take it to the local Wat and spent a few thousand baht getting it blessed! :o

EXACTLY!!!!!!!

Back in the UK my thai wife will not buy may clothes , she aways says to expensive I will buy when back in Thailand and save money.

Even in the Discount stores 5 items of clothing £32 expensive,

who am I to argue.

Remember you are an American women who has chosen to consider a different lifestyle in a foreigh country. You are not average. :o

True, I am not average but I have always been thrifty.

Believe its my Scots heritage at play :D

I broke up with a Thai Girlfriend over this issue. I'd been working in a rather nasty part of China and had spent much of my time promissing myself and girlfriend a holiday when I got back to Thailand.

The holiday on Samuii was absolutely ruined by her constant moaning about the price of everything. The taxi from the airpoirt 'Pehng', the hotel 'Pehng', hiring a car for a few days 'Pehng', a meal out 'Pehng'.

It's not that she'd suddenly got like that, she'd always been the same but in other times I had found it 'cute, amuzing, endearing'.

With three months of Chinese dust and industrial polution stuck down my airways I was looking to sped a bit of money and relax in a place where I was getting the service. I wanted clean rooms, ac that worked, edible food, service and a bit of luxury - Anyone having been where I'd just been would have wanted the same.

She just complained about the price - Constantly!

That brought home the realization to me that if I stayed with her, as lovely has she was, my whole life and the way I live my life was going to be measured against 'The Village Price'.

There's a happy medium, thrift by all means, but I don't want to be made to feel guilty or be moaned at for spending money the way I want to when I've worked hard for it.

Mine lives with me in Sydney and she is very thrifty.

She knows the prices charged in all the Thai supermarkets all over the city.

It means that we now have to visit everyone of those supermarkets buying one can of this, and then onto the next supermarket to buy one can of that....and so on.....

What she saves in buying food, she wastes in shoe leather. :o

Back in the UK my thai wife will not buy may clothes , she aways says to expensive I will buy when back in Thailand and save money.

Even in the Discount stores 5 items of clothing £32 expensive,

who am I to argue.

I wish my fiancee was like that. She buys so much clothes here (sydney) and has about40 pairs of shoes, She donates clothes every month because she cant fit things in her waredrobe. We have garbage bags full of crap everytime we go to the salvo's. Our shoe rack is HUGE and it fits about 30 pairs of shoes (I have 3 pairs) and she takes up the rest.

But atleast she spends her money on it, but what bugs me is that when we go to a shopping centre we are usually there for 3 or 4 hours because she see's a top/shoes she likes and tries on every top/shoes in the shop. It can get very anoying, and when we go back to Thailand for a holiday we always have to send mostthe crap through DHL because we are about 10 times over the weight we can board with.

But other then that she is perfect

I am glad the OP raised this topic. I constantly read and hear about gold diggers and money grubbing Thai GFs and wives, but fortunately that has not been my experience at all. My Thai wife of 10 years is the most frugal (putting it nicely) person I have ever met in any country. Any expenditure over 10 Baht is expensive. She rarely pays more than 40-80 Baht for blouses, and not much more for slacks and dresses. Surprisingly they look nice too. Does not want gifts or flowers as they are a waste of money. I used to travel on business and would leave 4-5 thousand Baht for her if I was gone a week. When I returned I would usually find that she was still hanging on to 90% of that. Not perfect (like yours truly), but this is one aspect I quite enjoy. Glad to hear that she is not unique.

My Thai wife and Romanian ex wife are and were both very frugal. Personally I'm very grateful for the quality. I've had to put my foot down in the past and justify a few expenses though. Overall it's been a blessing. I've become debt free, created a nice savings account, paid as I went to build a new home, business and life in Thailand. I'm grateful for it myself. There is still room for discussion for the items the one or the other of us feel may, or may not be considered extravagant. I've also lived through the exact opposite. One of my former ex's used to think that trips to the tanning bed were obligations and bills were extravagancies. It's definitely not cultural, it's personality and how they were raised that determine their economical aptitude.

Moderation in all things - Including Moderation.

Yeah, but nothing exceeds like excess or so Janis J. used to say. :D

My wife is so thrifty she uses the plastic bags you take the groceries home in for trash bags.

It's a pain in the ass 'cause they fill up too quickly and I'd rather spend a little more to use a proper-sized trash can liner... :o

Well, I am sure she could be one he_l of a financial advisor for my fiance :D Can you lend it to me for a few cups of coffee? We could go and have a beer and leave them talking, maybe we could both get rid of our problems :D

Moderation in all things - Including Moderation.

Yeah, but nothing exceeds like excess or so Janis J. used to say. :D

My wife is so thrifty she uses the plastic bags you take the groceries home in for trash bags.

It's a pain in the ass 'cause they fill up too quickly and I'd rather spend a little more to use a proper-sized trash can liner... :o

thats recycling Boon Mee! I, too reuse my plastic bags. Store them in a bolster pillow case for easy storage and retrieval. :D

Stingy is the attempt to live so cheaply that one's quality of life suffers for it. Thrifty is the ability to live a quality lifestyle but at reduced prices :D

Same here, when looking to rent a house around Udon Thani we found a 3 bedroom bungalow at 6k baht/month and a 3.5 k baht dark townhouse in a rather dark smelly alley. She wanted to live in the townhouse to save money.

That's not where we live now.

She rarely buys clothes, always checks the restaurant billanddoesnot allow me to tip more than 10 baht.....but she bought a 5k baht Rayban sunglasses, betetr for the eyes she said....why not?

yep thats my wife too

I wouldn't say my Thai wife is Cheap but she is careful in the extreme... When we go to the supermarket like Big C she will stand at the end of the checkout and cross check all the items on the bill. sheesh!

Greg

:o

Greg

When we bought the last truck she haggled down to the last baht then first thing we did was take it to the local Wat and spent a few thousand baht getting it blessed! :D

Hi all,

Im absolutely totally fascinated by this thread, Id always assumed that Thai women were pretty greedy, god knows ive met enough to know and spot those who merely want to view you as walking ATM machines, that is until I met my thai girlfriend a year ago. Yes its really true that these people really are incredibly poor, beyond the comprehension of most westeners. When I met her she was sharing a room 15ft * 12ft with another girl, and a 3ft *3ft toilet, thats it, and a 2ft square window, no air con 1 light 1 electric socket, thats it, it was horrible. She nearly wept with joy when I rented us a 4 roomed appartment with marble floors and air con in Jomtien, but was horrified to hear I was paying 14000 bht a month with all bills thrown in!! it seemed like a give away to me. I explained in England this flat would be 45000 bht a month, she almost died!!

It is hard for us to quantify it, her dad in Surin (N E Thailand) is well paid earning 20000 bht a mo.

Id be interested to hear what other peoples opinion and experiences are, Id really thought that the majority of thai women were only interested in western men for financial reasons (ans I understand this) but I do know many many western men that have met and are in happy relationships with Thai girls, the reasons for this Id like you to give me your opinion on it. Its my view that western men offer a better deal financially and in general treat thai girls much better. I think its the way many thai girls are brought up that makes them so thrifty.

Opinions ??

I think it is the way they were raised. When my wife was very young her parents were dirt poor working on construction sites. I mean dirt poor. So poor that she doesn't recall having a doll to play with. Her parents both worked very hard and eventually her father moved up and became a contractor building houses. Things then improved and my wife's parents eventually put both my wife and her brother through college. My mother-in-law gets up at 4AM, goes to a large market to buy produce, and then runs a stand in the local market until the early evening. Everyday she sends a motorcycle by our house with vegetables and other food. Won't take my money at the market. Literally will not take it. She has done so well she rents another stand and hires someone to run that. She saves every penny she makes. Well not every penny because she just bought my wife a nice second-hand Volvo 850. Just good people, the best in-laws you could hope for in any country. I do feel fortunate indeed. And yes, they are Thai, can't get much more Thai than being from Ayuthaya.