B visa without work permit

I recently applied for a job with a company here in Thailand. While they were enthusiastic, they weren't 100% sure if they were going to have room for me at the company. But they issued me with a stack of paperwork to apply for a 90-day Non-Immigrant B visa anyway, as I was about to go outside Thailand for a bit and I'd be conveniently near a friendly Thai consulate. The idea was that if/when they decided to go ahead and actually employ me, I could then apply for a work permit (and a longer visa, I guess) when I returned.

When I applied for the visa the consulate let me get a 1-year multi-entry B visa instead. If I understand it correctly, I can leave and re-enter Thailand unlimited times on this visa for a year, as long as I leave/re-enter every 90 days (right?). Which should be fine, as I travel a lot.

I've just returned to Thailand, with no problems entering on the new visa, and I've not heard anything yet from the company regarding a decision. It occured to me though, that perhaps I can just keep using that B visa for the next year without being involved with the company. I don't actually need the job -- it would have been kinda interesting, but I was mainly doing it just to get my visa affairs in order, as I've got a large collection of visa-exempt entries.

So, am I going to be expected to produce a work permit at immigration at any point? If I'm not actually working here, is it okay to reside here on a B visa?

Edited by bieh

Hi all, this is my first post but I read the forum regularly. I am an American citizen, over 50, and currently on a multi entry non B visa without a work permit.

I just came back from a border run yesterday and wanted to share.

I have done two 90 day border runs on this visa at the "Ban Phu Nam Ron" crossing with Myanmar (Jan and April 2014). After reading on this forum about the crack down and the problems at this crossing, I decided to fly to Phnom Penh for my most recent border run. I departed Suvarnabhumi on Sunday, July 27, 2014, spent the night in Phnom Penh and returned to Bangkok on Monday, July 28, 2014. I had no problems clearing immigration, no questions asked. I now have a new stamp valid until October 25, 2014.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

I doubt there would be problems using the non-B multi entry without a work permit, provided you are leaving and re-entering regularly and/or spending some time outside of Thailand between entries. As already mentioned, if you are asked for a work permit, just state what you are doing. I'd be highly surprised (even shocked and disappointed) if multi non-Bs were being targeted in the same way as visa exempt entries.

Even on an extension for work, I have never been asked to show my work permit when re-entering the country and this was just a few months ago. Most people don't travel with their work permits as they could get lost and are useless and meaningless outside of Thailand anyway. Of course you could always carry a photocopy but I think the point here is that the OP doesn't work here.

But if you are just going to say Tachilek for a day of shopping (and conveniently also re-newing your 90-day stay that you get on a non-B multi) but do spend some time outside of Thailand during the validity of the visa - I don't know counts, but let's say you spend 60-70 days, leave for 20-30 then re-enter and keep that same pattern you should be fine. Even shorter periods away from Thailand would work. Of course, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but that kind of travel would seem appropriate for a non-B. Anyone spending long periods in Thailand on a non-B multi would likely find themselves working here, in which case they'd need to get a work permit. But luckily they have more options compared to those on extensions for work, who get a day or week (if they pay 1900 Baht for an extension) to leave the country once a job ends.

I plan to apply for a non-B multi entry without work permit soon when I go back home. I also expect to be able to travel in/out without any problems although like the OP I won't necessarily be using it to live in Thailand full time but rather because I'm consulting and attending sites/factories etc. with my work and income overseas (well China in this case).

Even on an extension for work, I have never been asked to show my work permit when re-entering the country and this was just a few months ago. Most people don't travel with their work permits as they could get lost and are useless and meaningless outside of Thailand anyway. Of course you could always carry a photocopy but I think the point here is that the OP doesn't work here.

I have only every been questioned twice about my work status in Thailand twice, once was many years ago at DM and the second time was a little over a month ago at Swampy coming back from a business trip, on this occasion they questioned who I worked for, which of course they already knew because its written above my re-entry permit and I did offer to show them my work permit, but they didnt take me up on the offer, just stamped me in and waved me on my way

I for one have always carried my WP with me when I am travelling in and out of Thailand

The multi-entry B visa without a WP is the next logical step in the crackdown me thinks, as there are a lot of people "abusing" this visa type, for purposes that it wasnt intended for

The multi-entry B visa without a WP is the next logical step in the crackdown me thinks, as there are a lot of people "abusing" this visa type, for purposes that it wasnt intended for

I'm currently on a multi-entry Non-Immigrant B visa without a work permit, as I don't work in Thailand.

But I believe you're correct, and am seriously thinking about the Thailand Elite 500KThB in order to avoid any hassle.

Even on an extension for work, I have never been asked to show my work permit when re-entering the country and this was just a few months ago. Most people don't travel with their work permits as they could get lost and are useless and meaningless outside of Thailand anyway.

I always carry my workpermit as it is handy to use the Thai Immigration lines when the airport is rammed with tourists.

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 1

Even on an extension for work, I have never been asked to show my work permit when re-entering the country and this was just a few months ago. Most people don't travel with their work permits as they could get lost and are useless and meaningless outside of Thailand anyway.

I always carry my workpermit as it is handy to use the Thai Immigration lines when the airport is rammed with tourists.

They allowed you to use the Thai immigration line, really?

Never tried that , if yes , then I will carry my work permit with me on my next trip .

Wenne

Never tried that , if yes , then I will carry my work permit with me on my next trip .

Wenne

I have been pulled when heading to the line and told to go to the non-Thai ones but a quick flash of the work permit and they let me through.

Wenne

Offiically the answer is most likely no you dont have the right, but I have done the same as "spoonman" with about a 90% sucess rate over the years, and when I have been knocked back, its always been a lady immigration officer for some reason ?....maybe not hansum man too mut ...laugh.png

give it a try they can only say No and get back in the line with the rest of the farang rabble...thumbsup.gif