Mo Chit moto-taxis fined THB5,000 for overcharging

webfact

I almost always negotiate but one time going from Koh Kong bus station to the Thai border, 10km away by tuk-tuk (note to self: never catch a local long distance bus in Cambodia again; takes too long and took about 2 hours just to leave Phnom Penh - either bring my own Thai vehicle in or catch a taxi as I've done before or since) I didn't negotiate the fare, then the guy wanted 400 Baht. I told him 140 so he then went down to 250 but we settled at 230 or something in a combination of Baht and Vietnamese Dong (that's all I had left apart from thousands of Baht in 1000 bills which was not destined for that fare, but for Thailand). He was a bit pissed but I knew that the fare shouldn't be much more than 200. Since he got 190 in Baht and the rest in Dong, which he could easily exchange for Riel, all was good. He did ask me why I didn't negotiate the fare beforehand so I told him, well, you didn't say anything! Of course I almost always negotiate the fare in advance but the one time I made an exception it took a few minutes of him struggling and me calmly being firm about what I'll give him.

Bringing either your own vehicle or renting a taxi is the way to go for those trips I'd say. Got a good driver who is honest and takes me directly to my destination. Sure, it might cost a bit more than a combination of bus + tuk tuk but it sure beats the hell out of the chances of getting ripped off or trying to rip your hair out in frustration.

From Koh Kong bus station to the border in a tuk-tuk should be 7 USD (driver pays the bridge tolls). I love the way Cambodian tuk-tuk drivers rush to drive off as soon as you tell them your destination. You have to be pretty assertive to call them back and negotiate the fare.

Well that's pretty much what I ended up paying, isn't it? I paid in a combination of Baht and Dong as mentioned. So 7 USD * 31 = 217 Baht. As I mentioned I paid 190 in Baht, and 40000 in Dong, which would be around 50 Baht, although apparently only 40 in Koh Kong due to the lower exchange rates there? Also I do have to admit that we detoured for a bit to go to Laurent Cafe, but that's hardly much of a detour (less than 100m both ways) and all he had to do was wait 30 mins for me to finish my meal.

I knew the going rate should be around that for a tuk-tuk (US$7 or 200-220 Baht) because previously I paid 100 Baht for a motorcycle taxi for the same journey (well to my hotel, but that's about the same distance as to the bus station coming from the Thai border). I also remember paying about the same for 3 people in a tuk-tuk to the border from the city on another trip (I think it was US$6 for the tuk-tuk then with only minimal negotiation needed).

Don't ask them how much, just tell them where you want to go and tell them how much you will pay. Up to them. Every price is negotiable in Thailand.

Last week I was at a motorbike taxi stand and the bloke that got there before me (two week millionaire judging by the blue varicose veins on the lilly white legs beneath the brown baggy multi-pocketed "standard issue" Beach Road cargo shorts) was asking how much to the same place I was going. He got told 200 baht and accepted the ride.

I laughingly told the "boss" at the stand that I'm going to the same place he was and I'll pay the usual 80B plus a tip if the driver drives safely. Laughingly, they accepted.

Edited by Gsxrnz