Questions on selling a bike: green book passport no. change; no longer resident in LoS (visa issue)

I moved to the Philippines from Thailand earlier this year and left my 2010 Honda Phantom with a friend in Bangkok. As it looks unlikely that I will return to live in Thailand, I am starting to consider selling my bike, but am anticipating numerous issues and would appreciate some advice on these. I will break them down. If you only have advice on a particular issue, please respond by providing the number reference to the specific issue you are responding to.

1. I am the legal owner of the bike and my name is in the green book. I have seen that my passport number is also in the green book. I recently renewed my passport, so the passport number in the green book is no longer valid. I have read that the DLT will require my papers (including my passport) to do the name change. Will this detail create a problem? Will I have to change my details on the green book before I can submit it to the DLT for a change of owner?

2. As explained above, I am no longer resident in Thailand and, as such, do not have a non-immigrant visa, work permit, or proof of address. If I go back to sell it, I will be going back on a 30-day visa exemption stamped at swampy. Does this preclude my being able to sell the bike?

3. I purchased the bike and had it registered in my name in Phuket. The bike has Phuket plates. The bike is in Bangkok (and can be moved to stay with another friend in Pattaya if needs be). If I sold the bike to a buyer in Bangkok or Pattaya, and the buyer wished to get it registered at the DLTs in those locations, would this create a problem given the bike is registered in Phuket?

Thank you in advance for your constructive advice.

manc

Ok from my brief experience:

1. Passport number change will be a big problem. For any vehicles to change owner, up-to-date and accurate ID papers (passport/work permit) are needed. I don't believe that details in the greenbook are affected - it is just that 'current' ID copies of ID with valid visas etc. are needed. (This means that a previously left copy of an old passport which was signed would only work if that passport were still valid - which it wouldn't be if you had a new one issued 'normally')

2. I don't believe it would be an issue at all, and it would probably be your easiest option if you were planning a trip back. At very least, you could leave signed up-to-date copies of the required documents (2 or 3 from DLT plus your ID from memory) and then your friend can take care of it.

3. In normal 'proper greenbook' situations I don't believe this is an issue. In cases where a greenbook has been messed with it may be an issue.

Hope this helps and I'd also look into one of those 'middlemen' guys on the Pantip forums who arranges transfers etc. for greenbooks. Given your situation it would be worth the 500 - 2000Bt cost to have an expert helping - that is unless your friend knows his stuff.

Good luck and let us know how you go...

Thanks for your input on this matter, Denkiblue. thumbsup.gif

"1. Passport number change will be a big problem. For any vehicles to change owner, up-to-date and accurate ID papers (passport/work permit) are needed. I don't believe that details in the greenbook are affected - it is just that 'current' ID copies of ID with valid visas etc. are needed. (This means that a previously left copy of an old passport which was signed would only work if that passport were still valid - which it wouldn't be if you had a new one issued 'normally') "

As this will inevitably happen to all foreign motorcycle owners in Thailand, I find it difficult to believe that LDTs around the land will not have come across this issue before. There must be a way around this. I was thinking maybe I may have to show my old passport at the LDT, together with my new one, to prove the continuity. Surely this would resolve the issue?

---

Over 200 people have read this thread already and only one helpful chap has responded. Please don't be shy. Contributions are welcome.

Thanks for your input on this matter, Denkiblue. thumbsup.gif

"1. Passport number change will be a big problem. For any vehicles to change owner, up-to-date and accurate ID papers (passport/work permit) are needed. I don't believe that details in the greenbook are affected - it is just that 'current' ID copies of ID with valid visas etc. are needed. (This means that a previously left copy of an old passport which was signed would only work if that passport were still valid - which it wouldn't be if you had a new one issued 'normally') "

As this will inevitably happen to all foreign motorcycle owners in Thailand, I find it difficult to believe that LDTs around the land will not have come across this issue before. There must be a way around this. I was thinking maybe I may have to show my old passport at the LDT, together with my new one, to prove the continuity. Surely this would resolve the issue?

---

Over 200 people have read this thread already and only one helpful chap has responded. Please don't be shy. Contributions are welcome.

Presenting the old one should solve your problem. I had a similar issue before, I was challenged about the mismatch of passport numbers, once at the bank and another time at a different government office. I was asked for the old passport which I didn't have with me at the time. However when renewing the passport my embassy stamped in my new one that it's replacing the old passport and indicated the old number there. So as long as you have a reference or showing the old passport itself it should be acceptable. Obviously there's just no way you can use the old passport as if it were valid now. If at first they say no, "suggest" to the staff to check the matter with a supervisor, if done calmly and politely it can help.

I had bought a bike in Phuket from a farang who was no longer in Thailand. The papers were not complete.

I went with the green book to an insurance agent who had been mentioned to me to be helpful in such a case.

Payed 3.000 THB. Everything was fine. (That was on KohSamui)

Ask your friend in BKK to find such an agent for you. Everything is possible.

OP here is what you are legally required to provide as the seller:

1. Signed copy of passport - picture page & visa page;

2. Proof of Residence - obtainable from Immigration, local police, or your consulate;

3. Vehicle's book, signed by you as seller;

4. Thai language sales contract with price;

5. Power of attorney form (limited to this one transaction) if buyer is in another province (i.e. not Phuket).

Copies of old and new passports since you have a new passport. Proof of Residence will be an issue for you though. Best to use an agent and swallow the extra cost.

Get your friend to sell it, no need for you to be there in person. The buyer arranges all paperwork at DLT, not you, just supply them with all the paperwork they will need, including old passport details, your expired passport is not a problem, they just tell the DLT that person is no longer in Thailand and this is the only passport details you have. 5 minutes extra time to explain it is all it will take.

OP here is what you are legally required to provide as the seller:

1. Signed copy of passport - picture page & visa page;

2. Proof of Residence - obtainable from Immigration, local police, or your consulate;

3. Vehicle's book, signed by you as seller;

4. Thai language sales contract with price;

5. Power of attorney form (limited to this one transaction) if buyer is in another province (i.e. not Phuket).

Copies of old and new passports since you have a new passport. Proof of Residence will be an issue for you though. Best to use an agent and swallow the extra cost.

Here's my mileage.

1. Yes, required.

2. Not required as seller, only the purchaser.

3. New owner should sign registration book when purchasing bike, although I have never done this.

4. Not required.

5. Required if seller is not going to be present when the bike is transferred. Standard form is available at the Transport Department.

6. Old passport copy not required.

7. No need to use an agent.

So my list for the seller is.

1. Signed copy of passport and visa (although if seller not in Thailand I wonder about the visa)

2. Registration book.

3. Signed form from Transport Department allowing transfer to take place without the seller being present.

This has worked for me selling bikes in in three different provinces, all of which were purchased in a different province, and I never had to attend the transfer procedure.

Additionally I have always made out a simple contract for my own records with a copy of the purchaser's passport. The concern here being that the bike is not re-registered and could be involved in an accident or crime.

OP you can sell the bike to a friend no problem and they can tax and insure it with having just the green book. As long as they are not too bothered about having the book in their name then there are no major issues. I have had a couple of bikes where the Farang has gone home with no intention of returning and had the bikes for years without any hassle. Sold both of them when I left Samui, again to a mate who knew me and the score with the bikes

So my list for the seller is.

1. Signed copy of passport and visa (although if seller not in Thailand I wonder about the visa)

2. Registration book.

3. Signed form from Transport Department allowing transfer to take place without the seller being present.

This has worked for me selling bikes in in three different provinces, all of which were purchased in a different province, and I never had to attend the transfer procedure.

Additionally I have always made out a simple contract for my own records with a copy of the purchaser's passport. The concern here being that the bike is not re-registered and could be involved in an accident or crime.

I too have sold vehicles without everything I mentioned... but the items I mentioned are the official legal requirements.

Just sold a Honda CBR 400 R, accident bike, badly damaged, I still recovering. Green book in my EX GFs name.

At the time of purchase 2000, no other possibility for me, as to register it in her name.

No good contact with her now,

The interested Thai bought it, took bike and book and some written contract, possibly will drive with Ex Gfs number plates.

Something like that was common in Phuket in these years, 15 years ago. tongue.png

Thank you everyone for the comments.

The fact that

2) I am no longer a resident in Thailand with a lengthy visa/work permit/proof of residence, and

3) the fact that the bike will very likely be sold in a different province to the one in which it was registered

appear not to be issues, which is encouraging.

This leaves the first issue. Unfortunately, I do not have my old passport with me. It is back in England with my folks. I am guessing a copy of the appropriate pages would probably suffice for the DLT. Maybe even a fax. Due to having a 50% success rate with England/Thailand post I would be reluctant to ship over the real thing.

As has been pointed out, all of this is the buyer's responsibility. The thread was really about me arming myself with the facts regarding potential transfer issues. If the buyer needs an agent and an envelope with xxxxx baht to get the job done, then that will be for him to do if he wants the bike.

manc