Elusive condo in or near the Old City ?

jellydog

Greetings all. I've recently moved to CM from Bangkok and expect to be here 3-6 months minimum and possibly longer. I'm currently bedded down in a hotel not far from Thaphae Gate. I'm searching for a condo either inside the moat or not far away. I'd like a nice place from $15,000 to $20,000 baht per month. Tell me if I'm wrong but it seems most condos in that price range are not in the area I desire. I'd prefer not to be stuck out at Riverside as an example, or in the Nimmanhaemin area. I don't want to buy a car or moto, I prefer to walk, and I like the vibe of the Old City. I looked at Smith Residence today and they have nothing available with a kitchen, and maybe too bare bones for me regardless.

Is there a tree for me to bark up or am I searching for something that doesn't exist ? Any ideas much appreciated.wai2.gif

I've never lived there and don't know if they have anything that would interest you, but Nakornping condo may be your best bet in terms of location.  It's only a few minutes walk to Kad Suan Kaew shopping center, a few minutes walk to the interesting parts of Santitham, and maybe a 20 or 30 minute walk to Nimmanhamin or the east side of the old city (the east side is where the western oriented businesses are).

As an aside, it's for very good reason that building tall ugly condominiums is prohibited inside the moat.  It's what keeps our city looking nice!

That hadn't occurred to me but I'm sure that's true.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll beat my head against the wall for another week or so and then broaden the search.laugh.png

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun JellyDog,

The CCCC Community Classifieds housing section is a good resource; frequently updated.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HilbweOTN5Rrfs3mcohrZjBk4_PVSml2qy2QyK7frqg/pub#h.587qk8tr2gyk

cheers, ~o37;

Much thanks, and another CM resident alerted me to CCCC. I just looked through their most recent email and there appear to be some possibilities.

wai2.gif

As an aside, it's for very good reason that building tall ugly condominiums is prohibited inside the moat.  It's what keeps our city looking nice!

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll beat my head against the wall for another week or so and then broaden the search.laugh.png

Seems like you need to bring down the price you're willing to pay JD, folks up here might then have a better idea of places to suit you, inside the moat. biggrin.png

• Like 2

Maybe chanklan road is close enough? A few condos down there.

Seems like you need to bring down the price you're willing to pay JD, folks up here might then have a better idea of places to suit you, inside the moat. biggrin.png

Nothing like pulling your wallet out too fast is there Ups ?biggrin.png

Maybe chanklan road is close enough? A few condos down there.

Exactly mccw. I'm guessing that's where I'll end up.wai2.gif

My he new Unique under construction on the corner of the most just before the Huay Keaw road is about as close to the old city as legally possible for a condo project I think. But probably far away more from your favoured tapae area than chanklan road.
Not sure when it'll be ready.

Rental wise I think there are probably serversl dorm / room type places around but with out kitchens. However you could DIY a kitchen for yourself; electric hob, table chairs etc. such a place prob only 4-5k pm

Nothing like pulling your wallet out too fast is there Ups ?biggrin.png

Hurt my shoulder the last time I did that. laugh.png

• Like 1

I can't help but wander what Manhattan would be like if they had decided not to build tall buildings on the island.  Admittedly it is not as nice as Paris, but it is pretty darn nice : )

• Like 1

re

My he new Unique under construction on the corner of the most just before the Huay Keaw road

wasnt quite ready for tenants in feb :)

re

Hurt my shoulder the last time I did that

thats coz it weighed so much :)

dave2

• Like 1

Hillside 4 would be an option for you and within your price range, Also, Rimping Condo. sometimes has availability and is convenient. Floral has vacancies but start at 25k - six months will be a limiter at all three.

My he new Unique under construction on the corner of the most just before the Huay Keaw road is about as close to the old city as legally possible for a condo project I think. But probably far away more from your favoured tapae area than chanklan road.

Rental wise I think there are probably serversl dorm / room type places around but with out kitchens. However you could DIY a kitchen for yourself; electric hob, table chairs etc. such a place prob only 4-5k pm

Smith Residence is sort of a dorm type place. I looked over there and they do have some units with kitchens, but none available currently.

I also looked at City View Tower and the building looks to be in pretty bad shape.

So, still looking around and taking my time. As always, feedback is appreciated.

Smith Residence is sort of a dorm type place. I looked over there and they do have some units with kitchens, but none available currently.

I also looked at City View Tower and the building looks to be in pretty bad shape.

So, still looking around and taking my time. As always, feedback is appreciated.

There's a couple along Changklan, not sure of the names though.

Nakornping is very well situated. It is the tall pinkish building just off Huay Gaew opposite the Shell station which is just north of Kad Suan Gaew. So it is within easy walk of the moat and Kad Suan Gaew, and within longer walking distance to the Nimman area. It is also well run. There are a wide range of sizes of units in it. I suggest going to the condo office and speaking to the condo manager, Khun Montri.about available units.

You could check out City View.  It'll scare you into broadening your search area.

I did, and yes.wai2.gif

Might be a bit small for you big fella wink.png

I know nothing about this place, others might.

http://chiangmaiopenrealty.com/ccr6002room-for-rent-changklan-resident-condo

Thanks Ups ! I arranged to stay at the hotel where I've been, for a month at a reduced rate. Still looking around !wai2.gif

Nakornping is very well situated. It is the tall pinkish building just off Huay Gaew opposite the Shell station which is just north of Kad Suan Gaew. So it is within easy walk of the moat and Kad Suan Gaew, and within longer walking distance to the Nimman area. It is also well run. There are a wide range of sizes of units in it. I suggest going to the condo office and speaking to the condo manager, Khun Montri.about available units.

http://www.ping-property.com/ping-property-rent-view-detail.php?rid=13274338072339

Thanks to all for the great recommendations, information, and leads.  Found a place today using some of the advice provided here.  smile.png

You happy to share more details?  Always good to see how a search like yours works out, and what fits the bill with a near-city condo.

• Like 2