Elusive condo in or near the Old City ?

jellydog

Thanks to all for the great recommendations, information, and leads.  Found a place today using some of the advice provided here.  smile.png

You happy to share more details?  Always good to see how a search like yours works out, and what fits the bill with a near-city condo.

Yeah, about that...I'm not a person that likes to share a lot of personal details online, like where I live, my phone number, etc.  Why I'm not on Facebook, Twitter, Vine, Instagram, Tumblr, any of those.

So, in general, I'm between the NW corner of the moat and Maya Mall.  I went to four different condo complexes and knocked on managers' doors.  I chose the third place I viewed.  

I ended up with a six month contract for an 88 sqm condo (950 sqft for the Yanks), two bedrooms, one bath, view of the mountain.  Nicely furnished (including a large dining room table for six), partial kitchen that has a bar with two barstools, bathroom that has an actual bathtub with shower curtain so no "wet bathroom".  It's in quite reasonably good condition, IMO.  Walking distance to oodles of shopping and dining options, less than 10 mins on a red songthaew to Tha Pae gate.  

Manager quoted me 4 thb/unit for electricity and, if memory serves me correctly, 2 thb/unit for water.  I might be wrong about the water, it's not like I have to water a lawn or garden.  

I like the location, the convenience, and the unit itself.  I'm paying 15K thb/month for the condo.

• Like 1

<snip>

Manager quoted me 4 thb/unit for electricity and, if memory serves me correctly, 2 thb/unit for water.  I might be wrong about the water, it's not like I have to water a lawn or garden.

4 baht/Kw for electric and 2 baht/unit for water in a condo development seems very low to me. I would like to hear how much you really pay after your first month.
  • Like 1

<snip>

4 baht/Kw for electric and 2 baht/unit for water in a condo development seems very low to me. I would like to hear how much you really pay after your first month.

Yeah, I'm probably wrong about the water, I really can't remember.  My two five min daily showers aren't going to rack up any big water bills.  

I specifically said to the manager "4 thb/unit - that's the government rate" and he affirmed.  I may have misspoken about "government rate" since I don't really know what the official term is but he did confirm that when I questioned the rate....mainly because I had read here that most places will charge 7 thb per unit or higher for the juice.    

As an aside, it's for very good reason that building tall ugly condominiums is prohibited inside the moat.  It's what keeps our city looking nice!

I can't help but wander what Manhattan would be like if they had decided not to build tall buildings on the island.  Admittedly it is not as nice as Paris, but it is pretty darn nice : )

Hmm, apples and oranges I reckon because I avoid Manhattan like the plague... 

Thanks to all for the great recommendations, information, and leads.  Found a place today using some of the advice provided here.  smile.png

You happy to share more details?  Always good to see how a search like yours works out, and what fits the bill with a near-city condo.

Yeah, about that...I'm not a person that likes to share a lot of personal details online, like where I live, my phone number, etc.  Why I'm not on Facebook, Twitter, Vine, Instagram, Tumblr, any of those.

So, in general, I'm between the NW corner of the moat and Maya Mall.  I went to four different condo complexes and knocked on managers' doors.  I chose the third place I viewed.  

I ended up with a six month contract for an 88 sqm condo (950 sqft for the Yanks), two bedrooms, one bath, view of the mountain.  Nicely furnished (including a large dining room table for six), partial kitchen that has a bar with two barstools, bathroom that has an actual bathtub with shower curtain so no "wet bathroom".  It's in quite reasonably good condition, IMO.  Walking distance to oodles of shopping and dining options, less than 10 mins on a red songthaew to Tha Pae gate.  

I like the location, the convenience, and the unit itself.  I'm paying 15K thb/month for the condo.

Thanks for info even though Condo unnamed- as are you, so your secrets are safe enough! An unnamed guy in an unnamed building should be tough to track down even if any one wanted to.  So it seems like a good location and lots of space- 2bedrooms for 15k is good going in my view (but others will say you should have done better no doubt), and the utility bills wont kill you either.

I am guessing no pool but you cant have everything, right?