Thai Plane Develops Trouble, Landing For Passenger Transfer

george

THAI plane develops trouble, landing for passenger transfer

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International Public Company Limited (THAI) announced that its plane for a domestic flight from Bangkok to the northeastern province of Khon Kaen had to land for passenger transfer early Monday morning as its wheeling system had developed trouble after just taking off in minutes.

Newly-appointed THAI President Flying Officer Apinan Sumanaseni revealed that the pilot of the plane on TG 040 flight from Bangkok to Khon Kaen found the wheeling system functioned improperly at 06.45 a.m. when the wheel base could not be kept in place after it took off from the Don Muang International Airport.

The pilot viewed the problem could obstruct the flying; and so decided to have the plan landed at the Don Muang Airport again for passenger transfer to another plan, he said.

The incident caused a flight delay for more than 1.30 hours.

An official investigation into the wheeling system failure is continuing.

A source said the incident might be caused by the fact that the plane is rather old.

THAI is in a process of replacing its old planes with a group of new ones.

--TNA 2006-07-03

Good to hear that they landed safely.

Our friends at TNA really do need to get some English speaking proof readers though.

I assume the 'wheeling system' is the landing gear and the fault was that it either wouldn't retract or the lights indicated that it hadn't retracted fully.

Thanks for the clarification. When I read it I was sort of wondering what the "wheeling system" was. I am not the brightest, but I couldn't quite get my head around that terminology!

Thanks for the clarification. When I read it I was sort of wondering what the "wheeling system" was. I am not the brightest, but I couldn't quite get my head around that terminology!

I've been in aviation for years and I have never heard of a 'wheeling system'.

I have heard of Thai girls wheeling and dealing but never a 'wheeling system' on an aircraft.

Perhaps that should read 'Thai aircraft lands because food trolley gets stuck in the aisle with faulty wheels' ?

Or more accurately ,' Thai aircraft fails to retract undercarriage after take-off'

"THAI plane makes detour from Khon Kaen to BKK out of technical problem

A Thai Airways International (THAI) plane flew back from Khon Kaen to Bangkok after the pilot found that a wheel could not be retracted.

The plane was supposed to land at Khon Kaen at 7:40 am but the pilot decided to fly back and land at the Bangkok airport to solve the problem on the hydraulic system of the whell first, said Winij Jinathongthai, director of the Khon Kaen International Airport.

The plane then returned to land Khon Kaen at 9:20 am, he said.

He said the pilot made a right decision to return to Bangkok to fix the hydraulic system before returning to Khon Kaen because the Khon Kaen did not have enough equipment to fix the problem.

The plane carried out about 200 passengers."

The Nation

Edited by Hermano Lobo

Hi Hermano,

Since you are in aviation before, did you notice the average age of aircrafts flying domestic?

I had asked cabin staffs, they told me these aircrafts are as old as them if not older. So whenever we fly, do keep our finger cross that there are well maintain. :o

if THAI is replacing old planes thats doesnt mean they disappear from the sky..... the old THAI planes get a new painting and a new life, flying for NOKAIR.... NOKAIR had only 4 planes (until they recently took over some secondary routes from THAI) but 2 emergency landings within a few months.... any questions ?

though, Thailand can still be lucky, as the planes doing the domestic business in Indonesia are even 10-15 years older than the ones here in Thailand....

Edited by AsiaWolfie

if THAI is replacing old planes thats doesnt mean they disappear from the sky..... the old THAI planes get a new painting and a new life, flying for NOKAIR.... NOKAIR had only 4 planes (until they recently took over some secondary routes from THAI) but 2 emergency landings within a few months.... any questions ?

though, Thailand can still be lucky, as the planes doing the domestic business in Indonesia are even 10-15 years older than the ones here in Thailand....

So it's the same old aircrafts operated by Airasia, these boeing 737 aircrafts former shell was from MAS.

Not to mention the ancient 747s used by Orient Thai.

Low cost airlines = low cost aeroplanes.

747s Orient Thai 1-2 go is around 25 years old if I’m not wrong.

Low cost travel = low cost aircrafts OK…..but paying TG domestic with ageing fleet of more then 25 years, they still got the cheek to complain not making money!

There was a news report a while back about Thai starting up a mid-tier airline later this year to service the regional markets, something along the lines of Silk Air which is Singapore Air's mid-tier airline. If this is still on, I'd be willing to bet that this new airline will be getting some of these older planes as well.

Im an aircraft engineer.

The calendar age of the aircraft is fairly irelevant, as long as they are properly maintained there is no reason why they should not continue to fly.

I often work on aircraft that are almost as old as me (summer of 69).

However one of the first places a company tries to save money when things are getting tight is the maintenance dept, so when you are tempted by the "low cost" carriers think about where they are cutting their costs.

Two years before we took a domestic flight from Bangkok to Khon Kaen with TG but before take off, we had to wait and sat in the airbus about near 1 hour. The engines were switched off and long time we was without aircon and no lights. Problem was the hydraulic system. No good feeling had during the trip - you can believe :o .

Im an aircraft engineer.

The calendar age of the aircraft is fairly irelevant, as long as they are properly maintained there is no reason why they should not continue to fly.

I often work on aircraft that are almost as old as me (summer of 69).

However one of the first places a company tries to save money when things are getting tight is the maintenance dept, so when you are tempted by the "low cost" carriers think about where they are cutting their costs.

If old aircraft are really well maintained, then travellers can have peace of mind, provided the aircraft replace parts are not fake, as what I heard in the past.

Those fake parts can show up in any airline not just the low cost ones. It all depends on the supply source. The dodgy suppliers use fake certificates of conformity or repackaged scrapped items when supplying the parts. Other times they supply original items mixed with fakes against an original certificate of conformity.

The airline industry is notified to check for the items whenever a supplier is caught out.

Edited by Farma

'Pond Life', in post 11, said:

"I often work on aircraft that are almost as old as me (summer of 69)."

A few weeks ago, I was approaching Udon Thani, and saw a DC-3 that was approaching the airport there.

It would have been new when I was a lad (born Spring 1935).

My old eyes couldn't make out its insignia, but I wonder if it belonged to the Thai Air Force?

If so, it probably has relatively few flying hours behind it, compared to the 737s mentioned in this post.

Forty five years ago, I used to get transported between arctic radar stations on DC-3s, but never envisaged one of them giving me a severe case of nostalgia in NE Thailand in the twentyfirst century!!

Hi Hermano,

Since you are in aviation before, did you notice the average age of aircrafts flying domestic?

I had asked cabin staffs, they told me these aircrafts are as old as them if not older. So whenever we fly, do keep our finger cross that there are well maintain. :o

giffarine,

'pondlife' got to the holding point before I could. Age is not necessarily a factor to worry about.

How well maintained the aircraft is. Some aircraft are well built and seemingly go on forever,

some corrode and are put together on the basis of man-hours to reduce cost. Maybe I could

compare a Ford car with a Volkswagen. Both are OK when new but I think the Volkswagen looks

better than the Ford after they have done 70,000 miles.

Dodgy spare parts is another problem. It can effect newish aircraft as well as old ones.

I have noticed that 'Unionised' airlines have a better safety record that non-union airlines.

Some of the aircraft I have seen at Don Muang look right old heaps !

I don't like the look of the Orient Thai and One-Two-Go machines. They could start with

a bloody good wash for starters.

The old Japanese NAMC YS-11's are built like the proverbial shit-house, the Rolls-Royce Dart

engines that power them in some cases have outlived the airliners they are fitted on.

Not the cutting edge now in turbo-prop engines but simple,solid and reliable.

Running an airline PROFESSIONALLY is not a cheap operation.

If the tickets are cheap.... welll something has to give?

The DC-3's/C-47's are likely refurbished ones with modern turbo-prop engines. They are part

of the rain-making squadron.

The best replacement for a DC-3 ?

Another DC-3 !

Edited by Hermano Lobo

So it's the same old aircrafts operated by Airasia, these boeing 737 aircrafts former shell was from MAS.

thats not correct. not even ONE of airasia's aircrafts has been used by Malaysia Airlines before. the Malaysian AirAsia's fleet has been purchased everywhere in the world, and 8 of the 9 ThaiAirAsia planes are former US AIRWAYS-Planes. correct is that the planes are rather old, none of ThaiAirAsia's 9 aircrafts is younger than 19-20 years old.....

The Malaysian AirAsia bought a couple of brandnew A-320 juste few months ago (6 or 7, not sure about that), which decreased their average aircraft age to 14,0 years (Thai AirAsia: 20,4 years, AirAsia Indonesia: 18,6 years).

About THAI: difficult to judge as they use so many different aircrafts, but its correct they DO use some old A-300 which are 20-21 years old.....

the 4 NOKAIR B-737 are an average 15 years old....

Orient Thai: B-747 an average 26 years old, their aircrafts they use for domestic service are the B-757 (avg. 21 years old) and MD-80-series (avg. 20 years old).

the youngest fleets of Thailand are owned by Bangkok Air (average age of 4,2 years) and PBAir (average age of 3,4 years)

thats not correct. not even ONE of airasia's aircrafts has been used by Malaysia Airlines before.

If it is not from Malaysia airline, why the exit and toilet signboard are in Malay instead of Thai language. Maybe you have overlook who started and part owned the budget thaiairasia..

the Malaysian AirAsia's fleet has been purchased everywhere in the world, and 8 of the 9 ThaiAirAsia planes are former US AIRWAYS-Planes. correct is that the planes are rather old, none of ThaiAirAsia's 9 aircrafts is younger than 19-20 years old.....

The Malaysian AirAsia bought a couple of brandnew A-320 juste few months ago (6 or 7, not sure about that), which decreased their average aircraft age to 14,0 years (Thai AirAsia: 20,4 years, AirAsia Indonesia: 18,6 years).

About THAI: difficult to judge as they use so many different aircrafts, but its correct they DO use some old A-300 which are 20-21 years old.....

the 4 NOKAIR B-737 are an average 15 years old....

Orient Thai: B-747 an average 26 years old, their aircrafts they use for domestic service are the B-757 (avg. 21 years old) and MD-80-series (avg. 20 years old).

the youngest fleets of Thailand are owned by Bangkok Air (average age of 4,2 years) and PBAir (average age of 3,4 years)

Edited by Thaising

I've just had the pleasure (ha ha) of flying Orient Thai, Phuket to Bangkok - and Back again, on one of their ancient MD50's. The aircraft had obviously been used for domestic routes in Spain or Latin America at some distant time in the past, as the fold down tables on the seat backs had Spanish intructions on them. I also have to say that I wasn't too comfortable seeing the dirty and scrufy external condition of the aircraft, but felt much better seeing the even sadder state of their fleet sitting on the apron at Don Muang....I was obviously on board one of their better planes!! It's got to be only a matter of time before a tradgedy occurs with these budget airlines

From the sound of it, this wasn't a matter of not getting the 'three green lights', either for wheels satisfactorily locked up, or for wheels satisfactorily locked down.

If it had been, it would have been a much bigger 'occasion' at Don Muang, with all the rescue services deployed to be ready.

I had the 'pleasure' of being a passenger once when this happened at Cairns.

My late wife and I had decided to treat ourselves to a look at the 'outback' sheep stations, on the flight that delivers mail.

It was a four-seater Cessna, and as we climbed out of Cairns and the undercarriage retracted, only two green lights showed up. Lowering the gear produced the same indications.

There was, of course, only one thing to do. Say, nonchalantly, "Oh, its sure only to be a microswitch playing up, but we'd better go back and have it fixed."

Flying tight round the tower whilst they had a look with binoculars, and seeing all the firetrucks and ambulances assembling, gave a great feeling of importance.

We did the flight later in another aircraft, and I can recommend it as being a great experience, even if you don't get to bring Cairns International to a standstill!

I've just had the pleasure (ha ha) of flying Orient Thai, Phuket to Bangkok - and Back again, on one of their ancient MD50's. The aircraft had obviously been used for domestic routes in Spain or Latin America at some distant time in the past, as the fold down tables on the seat backs had Spanish intructions on them. I also have to say that I wasn't too comfortable seeing the dirty and scrufy external condition of the aircraft, but felt much better seeing the even sadder state of their fleet sitting on the apron at Don Muang....I was obviously on board one of their better planes!! It's got to be only a matter of time before a tradgedy occurs with these budget airlines

geoffphuekt-

You must have made a typo error as there is no such thing as an MD-50.

Aircraft Type Number Age Rank for the age per each aircraft type

Boeing 747 7 26.1 years On 96 airlines operating this aircraft Orient Thai Airlines is number 73

Boeing 757 2 20.9 years On 93 airlines operating this aircraft Orient Thai Airlines is number 88

McDonnell Douglas MD-80/90 4 19.7 years On 80 airlines operating this aircraft Orient Thai Airlines is number 56

Total 13 aircraft 23.3 years

From web page :-

http://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/Orient%...%20Airlines.htm

http://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/Orient%...%20Airlines.htm

1056940.jpg

Strangely the latest version of JP airline fleets does not list any Orient Thai MD-80'S

Edited by Hermano Lobo