laminated copy of passport and visa - where?

carlyai

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any of the MailBoxes outlets, such as the one right outside the Central Food Market, and the Post Servies kiosk at Tesco on North Pattaya.  There is also a guy who attends the Pattaya City Expat Club meetings on Sundays at the Tavern by the Sea, and he does a wallet size card with the passport cover, the face sheet, and your visa, for 200 baht.

As far as I know all the Kodak photo shops do this. Prices vary from shop to shop but 200B seems expensive to me.

200 baht expensive? 

He takes a copy of your passport face sheet and visa page, Photoshops them down to the right size, inserts a photo of the passport cover appropriate for your country, arranges them to fit on a business card, prints it front and back, then laminates.

All for the equivalent of $6 USD...doesn't sound expensive to me.  I now do my own based on how he did our first ones, and then get them laminated at MailBoxes. Easier for me that way.

According to PCEC, these cards are accepted by the local police as meeting the ID requirements.

• Like 1

// , inserts a photo of the passport cover appropriate for your country, //

What for?
I usually only see Data page on 1 side and Authorisation/Extension on the other one.
I can't imagine how they can add the cover and still get something you can read ??

// , inserts a photo of the passport cover appropriate for your country, //

What for?
I usually only see Data page on 1 side and Authorisation/Extension on the other one.
I can't imagine how they can add the cover and still get something you can read ??

No idea.  My understanding is that this was negotiated between the PCEC and the local police PTB.

Mine has my face sheet on one side, and 2 even size sections on the back: one with the US cover, and one with my visa page. It is the size of a business card, so fits easily in the wallet.

As far as I know all the Kodak photo shops do this. Prices vary from shop to shop but 200B seems expensive to me.

200 baht expensive? 

He takes a copy of your passport face sheet and visa page, Photoshops them down to the right size, inserts a photo of the passport cover appropriate for your country, arranges them to fit on a business card, prints it front and back, then laminates.

All for the equivalent of $6 USD...doesn't sound expensive to me.  I now do my own based on how he did our first ones, and then get them laminated at MailBoxes. Easier for me that way.

According to PCEC, these cards are accepted by the local police as meeting the ID requirements.

The Kodak shop opposite Nikom Court on soi Bukhaow charges 100 baht for exactly what you want thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Even if you carry a laminated copy, or any other kind of copy, the police may not accept it if it hasn't been verified as a valid copy by immigration. That's my take on the Hua Hin story, no doubt validation from immigration will come with a price.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand
  • Like 2

200 baht expensive? 

All for the equivalent of $6 USD...doesn't sound expensive to me.

The Kodak shop opposite Nikom Court on soi Bukhaow charges 100 baht for exactly what you want

Good. Saves me explaining why I think 200B seemed expensive. smile.png

200 baht expensive? 

All for the equivalent of $6 USD...doesn't sound expensive to me.

The Kodak shop opposite Nikom Court on soi Bukhaow charges 100 baht for exactly what you want

Good. Saves me explaining why I think 200B seemed expensive. smile.png

He,s charged 100 baht for the last 4 years that I know of-thumbsup.gif

Has anyone seen the new rule that you must carry your original passport at all times? Why make a laminated copy that you won't be able to use?

Exactly.

The correct information, which has always been the case, is that no other forms of identification are acceptable. This includes any other form of photo ID, such as a Thai/foreign driving license or a photocopy of your passport.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747424-hua-hin-immigration-clarifies-rules-on-foreigners-carrying-id/?p=8172813

Edit 1: added link

]Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos Edited by MJCM

If the law says u must have your passport on u at all times then that's it.

I have 2 cars one old one for picking up supplies and a newer one for family trips etc. Sometimes i forget to transfer the passport between cars. Also when i go bike riding, morning walking, i dont want to take my passport with me.

When i am up country and drive to kuchinarai for a swim, nearly every morning police chevk at a road block and usually just want to see a licence but sometimes the passport.

I know ignorance is no excuse for not obeying the law and leaving my passport in my other car or at home is no excuse, but, if i have a copy of my passport etc i MAY not be fined.

Before spending the 100-200B, I'd wait to see how this passport mess plays out.  Right now, it's only Hua Hin, but it could go nationwide.  If that's the case, a laminated copy won't do if you are checked.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747424-hua-hin-immigration-clarifies-rules-on-foreigners-carrying-id/

I am waiting for the Embassies to comment on this.

If the law says u must have your passport on u at all times then that's it.

The law doesn't precisely say that, but just that
- you must have an ID document
- you must be able to prove you are legally in Thailand

The second points imply that you must show some stamps from inside your passport
Can a photocopy - or a stamped one - be accepted? We don't know yet...

Again, let's wait to see exactly how this will or may be enforced...

Before spending the 100-200B, I'd wait to see how this passport mess plays out.  Right now, it's only Hua Hin, but it could go nationwide.  If that's the case, a laminated copy won't do if you are checked.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747424-hua-hin-immigration-clarifies-rules-on-foreigners-carrying-id/

I am waiting for the Embassies to comment on this.

Here's what the UK's FCO has been saying for years:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand

By law you must carry your passport with you at all times. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport. See Local laws and customs

The US Embassy has said it is ok to carry a photocopy. I am waiting to hear if they continue to say that.

Please show the link.  Even if there is one, it will be superseded for sure:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/passports.html

When traveling, please remember to carry a photocopy of your passport separately from your passport. In the event of loss or theft, the copy will help facilitate issuance of an emergency passport.

The US Embassy has said it is ok to carry a photocopy. I am waiting to hear if they continue to say that.

Please show the link.  Even if there is one, it will be superseded for sure:

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/passports.html

When traveling, please remember to carry a photocopy of your passport separately from your passport. In the event of loss or theft, the copy will help facilitate issuance of an emergency passport.

It has been tweeted by the US Embassy. You can follow the US Embassy on twitter.

"Reminder: Be sure to carry proper ID (or copies) with you at all times when in Thailand. Authorities may request to see it at any time"

The last time this advice was tweeted by the US Embassy was May 29th, 2014.

"I am waiting to hear if continue to say that"

200 baht expensive? 

Paid 20 baht yesterday passport  photo page 1 side visa other side. Laminated. kodak shop near Banglamung post office. 

No need to worry, leave your passport locked up, no need to carry.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747736-no-need-to-worry-says-bangkok-immigration-commander/

There are really no changes in the laws.  What the commander quoted is the law that's been in place for some time.  With that being said, there's still a grey area there that dodgy BiB can take advantage of.  99.9% of us will never experience these issues.

When traveling out of town, best to bring your original passport with you, just in case.

I get my laminated copy at one of the copy shops right next to Jomtien immigration.  Can't remember the price, but it was cheap.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747736-no-need-to-worry-says-bangkok-immigration-commander/

There are really no changes in the laws.  What the commander quoted is the law that's been in place for some time.  With that being said, there's still a grey area there that dodgy BiB can take advantage of.  99.9% of us will never experience these issues.

When traveling out of town, best to bring your original passport with you, just in case.

I get my laminated copy at one of the copy shops right next to Jomtien immigration.  Can't remember the price, but it was cheap.

I just carry a folded up photocopy of my passport ID page and a stateside DL, if they need more I can go get it. 

Like the commander said, a copy is fine, if we need more you can go get it.

I just carry a folded up photocopy of my passport ID page and a stateside DL, if they need more I can go get it. 

Like the commander said, a copy is fine, if we need more you can go get it.

Tell that to several of my friends who've been fined on the spot for not having a passport.  And given NO time to go get it.  It happens...again, there's a grey area they can easily exploit.

• Like 1

CraigT writes:

"Tell that to several of my friends who've been fined on the spot for not having a passport"

-Maybe you or your friends could help us by posting on here the precise details(when, where, who, why etc) of them being fined "on the spot" for not having a passport.

How much was the fine? To whom was the fine paid? Was a receipt issued? Were they allowed to leave after paying the fine or did they have to wait until their actual passpost was shown? Will they consider appealing the fine in view of the lastest dictate about not having to carry the original passport?

If known will the fine penalty affect the outcome of any subsequent visa application?

CraigT writes:

"Tell that to several of my friends who've been fined on the spot for not having a passport"

-Maybe you or your friends could help us by posting on here the precise details(when, where, who, why etc) of them being fined "on the spot" for not having a passport.

How much was the fine? To whom was the fine paid? Was a receipt issued? Were they allowed to leave after paying the fine or did they have to wait until their actual passpost was shown? Will they consider appealing the fine in view of the lastest dictate about not having to carry the original passport?

If known will the fine penalty affect the outcome of any subsequent visa application?

One friend works in Bangkok, owns his own business.  Has been stopped twice over the past 3-4 years, both times in the same location...near Sukhumvit.  Last time he was on the back of a scooter taxi returning from lunch.  2k on the spot, officer refused his request to go home and get his passport.  About 1km away.

A few others during random checks here in Pattaya while at various bars.  Police come in, ask for passports, 500B on the spot fine if you don't have it.

No receipts, obviously.

CraigT writes:

One friend works in Bangkok, owns his own business.  Has been stopped twice over the past 3-4 years, both times in the same location...near Sukhumvit.  Last time he was on the back of a scooter taxi returning from lunch.  2k on the spot, officer refused his request to go home and get his passport.  About 1km away.

A few others during random checks here in Pattaya while at various bars.  Police come in, ask for passports, 500B on the spot fine if you don't have it.

No receipts, obviously.

I doubt this tactic will ever stop. What would happen if you call there bluff?