Motorbike security

I've decided to buy a PCX150.

After buying it, I would like to keep hold of it. smile.png

So I am thinking about how to make it as secure as I can.

From what I have found online, an alarmed disc lock is a good idea, as well as a heavy duty lock and chain. Does anybody have any suggestions as to which brands I might look for when going to buy these things?

For security when it is parked at home I will use the above and buy a heavy duty piece of chain from Homeworks, (enclosing it in a sleeve of textile), add a heavy duty lock and chain my bike to something secure outside the house. (I got this idea from Thai Visa). I have read that having the chain above the ground is a good idea, as thieves can't so easily get leverage on boltcutters.

If I can't find something secure to lock it to when it's parked in the street, it can always be lifted and put on a truck, of course, but there's nothing I can do about that.

So, any suggestions for recommended products, other ideas, etc, would be most welcome.

Preferably things I can buy in Pattaya.

Are you in a house or condo? If house does it have wooden or plastic windows? If a house with wooden windows I can describe a simple alarm but too much typing if you live in a condo.

Cable is more difficult to cut than chain so use a cable at home. You need to lock both wheels , always. Make it a habit, that way it takes more than one guy to lift. A simple bucket filled with concrete is quite heavy so now they need three guys! Anything substantial. PCX has a drum rear brake so any large padlock with a long shackle around one spoke, disc lock for the front.

When out and about . If you can find a motorbike alarm one the trips if the bike is moved it gives peace of mind. They are not expensive. Then if the bike is touched it draws attention to itself.

Sometimes it is where you park not how you park. Ie. always park next to a manned security post etc. If routine parking you can find a place better than others where you can tip the security guy. Or pay them to wash it!

• Like 1

best is always chaining - cable is better- your bike to a stationary object such as a pole, a strong fence or even to another bike.

Edited by ll2

Bolt cutters easily cut through a cable.

I would get a thick chain and wrap it in rubber and kevlar to clog up die grinders.

I would get a wheel chock and anchor it into the ground. Lock the front wheel to that. Then have another ground anchor chain the rear wheel.

Or just build a fully enclosed shed and keep a pit bull in it.

Bolt cutters easily cut through a cable.

I would get a thick chain and wrap it in rubber and kevlar to clog up die grinders.

I would get a wheel chock and anchor it into the ground. Lock the front wheel to that. Then have another ground anchor chain the rear wheel.

Or just build a fully enclosed shed and keep a pit bull in it.

I went to GT Rider and the Kawasaki shop yesterday, both in Pattaya, and found two versions of alarmed disc locks from Xena. I will get one of those. I also found an alarmed d-lock from Kovix which might be useful if when I park, I can find a secure point to lock on to.

There were a couple of cable locks for sale, but both looked pretty flimsy. Does anybody know of a shop which sells heavy duty cable locks, preferably in Pattaya?

I looked at the chains in HomeWorks, but they didn't look very strong. I'll continue looking around for those.

Try a high end bicycle store.

High end bikes cost 200,000+ baht so they might carry the Kryptonite chains.

FYI, a sock can smother most of the sound of a Xena alarm, but its still a good thing to have.

Always use the bar tether or you will likely forget and move the bike yourself with the lock still on it.

What sort of bike have you got ? A thai lady told me the Pcx is most nickable for an aspiring thai. It's allways important to think about where you're parking it-either in public area or tucked out of site and secure areas etc. I saw two thai boys hot wiring a cruiser and got away in plain site of the security guard at my condo. Motorcyle chains are notoriously easy to cut with large bolt cutters so best to disable it and use more than one locking device. preferably to an anchor point. Also make your vehicle less anonymous to the rest.

I use a wall anchor with a chain. the chain was 500 bht and it was 30 minutes for 3 guys to cut the length in the store. Also use a Kovick alarm disk lock.

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/55874?r=GS&gclid=CMm6pb7O9L8CFY_ItAodBhkAig

If they are determined they will have it away, you can only make it not worth the bother and look for an easier target.

Soidogbob, good idea, I'll go to one of those shops that sell various chains, ropes etc and pick the thickest chain they have.

I can chain it to a cement pillar which supports a roof. I'm not sure where to buy a heavy duty padlock, but maybe at the same shop.

As you say, I can't make it 100% secure, but I can try to convince potential thieves that there's an easier target.

Edited by Swamp Thing

I did buy the same bike. Nothing is as secure as full valued insurance. I have Theft insurance for 2 years which cost me around 3000 Baht. To avoid theft also I bought an alarm lock from Soi Bukhaow from them Foreign owned shop for 1800 Baht. I lock it everywhere no matter what even if I leave the bike for 5 minutes. If still unlucky and get stolen then insurance will pay me 72000 Baht.

• Like 2

I've decided to buy a PCX150.

After buying it, I would like to keep hold of it. smile.png

So I am thinking about how to make it as secure as I can.

From what I have found online, an alarmed disc lock is a good idea, as well as a heavy duty lock and chain. Does anybody have any suggestions as to which brands I might look for when going to buy these things?

For security when it is parked at home I will use the above and buy a heavy duty piece of chain from Homeworks, (enclosing it in a sleeve of textile), add a heavy duty lock and chain my bike to something secure outside the house. (I got this idea from Thai Visa). I have read that having the chain above the ground is a good idea, as thieves can't so easily get leverage on boltcutters.

If I can't find something secure to lock it to when it's parked in the street, it can always be lifted and put on a truck, of course, but there's nothing I can do about that.

So, any suggestions for recommended products, other ideas, etc, would be most welcome.

Preferably things I can buy in Pattaya.

This is what I have on both my bikes.

ABUS disc lock, Alarm and a Doberman when they are parked at home.

post-82234-0-72358500-1407025559_thumb.j

• Like 2

Will a PCX be big enough for you? I just bought a new one for my wife, who is of small frame, 100 pounds soaking wet with clothes on, and it fits her perfectly. I would think the Forza more suited for men of normal to large stature.

My plan for her bike is to find chain or cable that takes 2 men and a gorilla to cut and get the stainless security padlock you see on gates and vehicle pedal lock systems.I will research to find the top brand names of this type locks. I like some of the good ideas posted so far; cable/chain around both wheels, chaining it to my cruiser when we are both out and about...

Swamp Thing, on 01 Aug 2014 - 10:47, said:

I went to GT Rider and the Kawasaki shop yesterday, both in Pattaya, and found two versions of alarmed disc locks from Xena. I will get one of those. I also found an alarmed d-lock from Kovix which might be useful if when I park, I can find a secure point to lock on to.

There were a couple of cable locks for sale, but both looked pretty flimsy. Does anybody know of a shop which sells heavy duty cable locks, preferably in Pattaya?

I looked at the chains in HomeWorks, but they didn't look very strong. I'll continue looking around for those.

Home Pro do an excellent thick shrouded cable with strong padlock. 2m length, about 600bt.

I bought a heavy chain a true value hardware on Sukumvit. I will use a couple of arm sleeves sock like things, to slide over chain around wheels.

Apologies for the delay in replying. Sometimes I can post on TV on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd attempt. Today it's taken 20+ attempts. I just do the same thing over and over until it works, which sort of goes against Einstein's theory of insanity.

So now I would like to say thanks to VN for the detailed instructions for the simple but effective bike alarm. I will make a start on that soon.

Thanks to Faz and ntv, I will pay a visit to those shops.

With the help of TV's bikers, there is a chance I might be able to keep hold of the PCX when I get it. smile.png

VN. I live on the ground floor and have wooden windows I can modify. I am very interested in the simple alarm system.

Cheap bike nighttime parking alarm. © vocal neal thumbsup.gif

OK. Here goes. Assuming you can park the bike outside the window. You'll have to understand the concept and mount the stuff where it works for you!

1. Buy a cheap window alarm. Amorn, Tesco, Central, wherever.

20120912221800_63414.jpg

Plus some thick strong fishing line, the largest fishing hook you can find and a large fishing weight /sinker. (From a fishing park or fishing shop) Filing the barb off the hook is optional:-)

2. Drill a 1/8" or smaller hole through the bottom or corner of the window frame. (no electric drill? you can use pliers it just takes longer)

3. Thread fishing line through the hole to the inside.

4. Tie the hook to one end of the line outside and thread the magnet portion of the alarm onto the line inside and lastly tie the weight onto the other end. You need enough line to hook the bike somewhere with the weight above the floor.

5. Mount the electronics on the window ledge or wall, inline with the fishing line. ( There needs to be enough room so the magnet can move away from the electronics in both directions)

6. With the hook on the bike (mirror stalk?) and the weight above the floor (line is taught) , slide the magnet up the line until it is next to the electronics and switch on. ( the magnet is adjustable so location of the bike doesn't have to be perfect every time)

7. At night the line is almost invisible. If the bike is moved of it's side stand (pulled away from or towards the window), someone walks into the line or the line is removed the alarm will sound.

I made one in Indonesia and although no one ever tried to steal the bike I did sleep soundly. (Which for me was important)

Thank you for the idea !

I generally find that the bike thieves here are the lower end of the scale.
they will look for the easy'st target and are nothing like the the ba__ard's
were i come from, nothing unusual for a bike to be taken over a 8 foot wall
and no one here a thing.

most here are messed up smoking to much ice and go for the first easy bike they see.
have a look around Pattaya, big c parking and so on and look at the quality of the locks people
use (if any ).

there was one guy on here last year, cbr 250 got taken from outside his
condo, but in all fairness he never locked it from day one
( SOM NOM NA ) comes to mind.

i would be more worried if i had a new honda wave in pattaya
i recommend a sturdy lock and chain, lock it to a post, anything you can find
when out and about.
good luck with the new bike.

Charlie

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've got my new bike and I must say I'm completely happy with it.

For security I have bought a Xena XX6 disc lock alarm and a cable and lock. I will up the quality of the lock, but I hope these two purchases will help me to keep hold of my new machine.

I can't park close enough to a window in my abode to use VN's ingenious idea, but hopefully somebody else will be able to make use of the detailed instructions given. If I can find a way to do it without garroting an innocent passer-by, I will use the idea myself.

Thanks for all the replies.

Congt on your PCX, I have one since 2012 and nobody tried to nick it so far.

Hopefully you bought the 2 years 80% theft insurance? This is the best for peace of mind I think.

I think you are over doing it regarding locking it. As somebody mention the theifes are normally opportunistic and if they see an unlocked pcx downtown they might have a go at it.

I never lock my scooters at the house, hell sometimes my wife forget taking the key from the Scoppy at night (I hope somebody steal this piece of shit so I never have to ride it again, lol).

I lock my pcx when parking it downtown with a thick wire lock around the front wheel/fork because many have been stolen for sure but when they see a large lock they go somewhere else.

I will start a new topic shortly about the build in alarm which has just failed on mine.