Bangkok temple goes after guy who mocks its merit-by-debit scheme

webfact

Culty temple goes after guy who mocks its merit-by-debit scheme
By Coconuts Bangkok

dhammaya.jpg?itok=1MIQYB7O

BANGKOK: -- A controversial temple with a reputation for encouraging followers to donate cash for spiritual merit said it will go after a netizen who accused it of taking credit cards for donations.

Dhammakaya Temple, housed in what looks like a giant UFO on the northern outskirts of Bangkok, said Monday it will accuse a Facebook user identified only as “Puk Boo” for defaming the organization in comments made online.

In a screenshot taken by Khaosod, the user posted a message claiming Buddhists may earn merits by swiping credit cards at the Phra Dhammakaya Temple, even if they cannot afford it.

"Swipe the card for fast merits. Borrow if you can't afford it!" read the post, which has since been deleted. "Phra Dhammakaya Temple's new promotion: Get a Krung Thai Bank ATM [card] today and make merit through the temple. No money? Get a loan to donate to the temple. Promotion supported by Krung Thai Bank."

Although Puk was referring to a real temple promotion with Krung Thai, he might have confused how debit and credit cards work. The bank does offer a Dhammakaya-themed debit card to facilitate their merit-making, suited to the lifestyle of merit-needy spiritual seekers short on time for good deeds. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/07/30/culty-temple-goes-after-guy-who-mocks-its-merit-debit-scheme

[cnb]2014-07-30[/cnb]

• Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Waiting for the day the world gives up on religion. Probably the day that the aliens land.  Would love to see the expression on the pope when he is told aliens have landed.   I'll probably die first.

It's my theory that's why the aliens stay away. And avoiding the warmongering parasites that inhabit the earth...

• Like 1

Religion,money and power go hand in hand,not just

here but throughout the whole world.

I thought Buddha preached that you don't need to 

build temples,under a tree is just fine,and don't make 

any images,in todays world you need the Disneyland

experience!

regards Worgeordie

yes but where is the profit if you sit under the tree and think about life?

Religion is always a bit like Amway minus the plastic. Buddhist, catholic or muslims, it is all about the money. And it attracts people who don't like to work.

These parts who teach that monks should work are always hated from the mainstream (jesuits, santi asoke, etc.)

Buddhist teaching says that one without debt has peace of mind. Any temple or anyone encouraging debt is doing wrong. Getting oneself into debt will never make merit but the opposite.

Well all the religions teach that you shouldn't kill.....and all the monks can't await to bless new weapons at the army.......

• Like 1

Might be my last post because I truly can't take more of the wolf in sheep's clothing for other reasons, but with her being a card carrying member of this, one thing I have to say for sure is that it doesn't really seem to be on the take as much as most charitable organizations. 

For those that don't know and although not to my taste, it runs  a 24 hr. station promoting peace, Buddhism, and English education on top of funding throughout the country and many services done by it's virtual army of monks.

That's from somebody that finds it hard to say a good thing about anything that has to do with religions and killing people just because they don't believe the same.

• Like 2

Who ever came up with this marketing hook up between a temple and a credit card really is a marketing genius.

I mean what can go wrong. You are using debt to buy merit. I guess this is the antithesis of pay it forward. Buy it forward for yourself....

I would like to say, only in Thailand, but it really might be, only in Thailand.

"marketing genius"?

Nobody has ever done better than the Augsburg based Fugger banking family in their dealings with the Vatican around the year 1500 : they were the ones who suggested to the Pope that sinners should also be allowed to pay penalties (indulgences) for their sins.  That was those days really "jackpot".

Just google for "Jakob Fugger"

Compared to this gigantic Fugger business the transactions by the controversial temple are stuff for the kids.....

"Fast world; busy people; modern era; simplicity..." Rationalize all they want, this is abhorrent.

This action crystallizes how equal this is to former Christian indulgences. Whereas the Buddhist social contract between temples and the lay represents the lay enabling monks the means that enable attainment in consciousness- which benefits the whole community, and in turn temples ministering/praying/supporting the lay, this current temple/bank arrangement is simple Simony (purchasing heaven).

Considerable institutional wisdom must be lacking to proceed with such a plan. Arrogance must be present to defend it!
  • Like 1

Think Tom Cruise is a member?

Nah, I think that is some science lot.....

Wat Phra Dammakaya does do some good.... but the adherents pay through the nose, it is true. They are sincerely dedicated, and ignore the controversies over the land dealings, motor vehicles and "trappings".

Notwithstanding, I thought it a little hard to swallow that the former Chief Nun, a disciple of the founder, had a change of heart every day whilst laying in the sarcophagus... ruby one day, sapphire another.....

And my friend who spent two or three weeks meditating at Dammakaya Chiang Mai was in the office less than two hours on Monday morning when she blew her stack.... couldn't figure the benefit of meditation practice after that.

Nonetheless, whatever religious persuasion, it is pretty impressive to sit amongst 500,000 in the congregation and watch 100,000 monks chant on that dome structure.....