Married to a Thai, I want to stay in Thailand

Hi Everyone,

I'm British and 31 years old and I currently work as a teacher in one of Bangkok's International Schools. I hold the typical Non-Imm Type B Visa and my school completes the 90-day reports for me.

I'm married to a Thai and I would like to have an 'Indefinite Leave to Remain' stamp on my passport (i.e. So I don't need to go through the 90 days reporting again). Also, this would help if I suddenly found myself out of work.

Is it possible to get permission to stay in the kingdom indefinitely if one is married to a Thai national? How do I go about the process?

Thank you!

No, it is not possible, unless you obtain permanent residence or Thai citizenship both of wich are nearly impossible.

You can search on how to to get an extension of stay for reason of marriage, however requires you to show money, a lot of paperwork, to get the same duration of 1 year and the same 90 days reporting.

• Like 1

You can apply for permanent residency or citizenship. For both you will need to of been be working for three years and paying taxes.

For citizenship the income requirement is 40k baht since you are married to a Thai. For permanent residency 50k to 80k is needed.

Both can take several years to get after applying.

• Like 1

OP - I'm not trying to be smart, but one has to wonder why you didn't inform yourself about these matters before marrying a Thai National, or deciding to live and work in Thailand.

• Like 2

Thank you for this link. It looks like a really complicated process!

It seems as though even good quality 'aliens' are not really welcome here.

Actually they are. I've got a couple of friends who have PR, and in the nicest possible sense they are 'nothing special'.

If you qualify, apply during the December application period.
  • Like 1

That is just the bureaucratic side of it.

Then if you are "welcome" in a broader  sense you should be able to perceive by yourself independently from laws and regulations.

Edited by paz

And what about the thousands of "good quality aliens" who have quietly been living here for years, have families and friends are feel welcome among the Thai people.?

Do you have a set of criteria by which you feel you can classify and sort the "high quality " aliens from the "not too bad" aliens, and the definitely "second rate riff raff' aliens?

Just wondering.   I trust you and your bride will find somewhere to settle where you are well accepted and good luck. smile.png

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity OP, why is 90 day reporting such a hassle? If you could accomplish the 90 day reports, even by mail, it would open a lot of easier options of remaining in Thailand.

No, it is not possible, unless you obtain permanent residence or Thai citizenship both of wich are nearly impossible.

You can search on how to to get an extension of stay for reason of marriage, however requires you to show money, a lot of paperwork, to get the same duration of 1 year and the same 90 days reporting.

I think a non imm-o marriage visa is your best bet.  And there is not a lot of paperwork for you.  Basically it's a letter showing income of 40,000 per month or 400,000 in the bank, marriage certificate, some photos and a TM7 form.

"It seems as though even good quality 'aliens' are not really welcome here."

You think?

Just out of curiosity OP, why is 90 day reporting such a hassle? If you could accomplish the 90 day reports, even by mail, it would open a lot of easier options of remaining in Thailand.

He can't find them a hassle.

He said:

...my school completes the 90-day reports for me.

If you are married ,I think it is easier to apply for citizen ship. In Thai law you are allowed to hold dual passport. then you can both come and go as you please. The cost is about 15 thousand baht. I think you can automatically receive citizenship if you have been married,5 years.you do not need to apply pr first. go straight for the jugular

That's very encouraging Samran. Thank you.

I once got a permit to stay, one year renewable, based on my marriage to a Thai national.  It took about two weeks and some paperwork and photos.  I kept that permit and renewed it until retirement and changed to retirement permit to stay, one year renewable, based on my monthly income etc.

When my Work Permit and work contract ran out, of course, I abandoned my work permit and that visa category and got the stay based on marriage.  Seems best future route for you if your work dries up for a while or forever.

I found all the Thailand visas and permits to stay processes ultimately not difficult.  Most of my worry came from not knowing the processes needed.  Now, after going through many "visa" categories and learning them, I look back on my worries as totally unfounded.

• Like 2

If you are married ,I think it is easier to apply for citizen ship. In Thai law you are allowed to hold dual passport. then you can both come and go as you please. The cost is about 15 thousand baht. I think you can automatically receive citizenship if you have been married,5 years.you do not need to apply pr first. go straight for the jugular

It isn't automatic.

There are shorter qualifications times if you are married with children. Longer with no children.

Male applicant needs to have a taxable income of more than 40,000 baht per month with tax receipts to prove it. Details can be had at special branch at national police head quarters across from central world.

OP - I'm not trying to be smart, but one has to wonder why you didn't inform yourself about these matters before marrying a Thai National, or deciding to live and work in Thailand.

Please,tell all...what are you trying to be? WE know not smart.

My Thai wife just received her American Permanent Residency Card.  We live in America.  

I find it so backwards that a Thai in American can easily stay indefinitely, but for a foreigner in Thailand to stay is a very convoluted process.

By "easily" I mean pay a lawyer $1500 and the immigration fee of around $3000.  That's all that's really needed in America.

Nobody mentioned yet,
Forget about any applications for PR or Citizenship while the Junta are in power.
No minister will be signing anything.

You can still apply, though ? If the application is accepted, then you'll get some kind of "under consideration" stamps in you passport and can stay in Thailand, am I correct ?

My Thai wife just received her American Permanent Residency Card.  We live in America.  

I find it so backwards that a Thai in American can easily stay indefinitely, but for a foreigner in Thailand to stay is a very convoluted process.

By "easily" I mean pay a lawyer $1500 and the immigration fee of around $3000.  That's all that's really needed in America.

I take it you've applied for permanent residency or Thai citizenship then, and know all about how 'convoluted' it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yeah well. If it was 4500 US$ for a guaranteed PR in Thailand, I'd be standing at the bank counter making a withdrawal. It ain't.