ED visa denied!

I am in Kuala Lumpur and was applying for a 1 year ED Visa and have been denied. The Thai consulate told me that the requirements just changed and that I needed a Bachelor's degree or Graduate  degree to qualify for a 6 month or 1 year Ed Visa! I was standing with a guy from the UK who also was denied. They did offer both of us 2 month tourist visa's. I go tomorrow to pick them up.

I was also with 2 younger guys with quite a few stamps on their visa's (as they told me), who were denied tourist visa's. They were given a letter stating they need to show a letter from their employer and a letter from their bank verifying funds.

Not surpised they didn't give a 1 year ED-visa, normally only a singular is given and curently KL is not the most user friendly consulate.

In Penang they might have been given a single. Not heard about a bachelor or masters now being required.

• Like 1

They have only been doing ED visas for University studies for some time now in KL. Your school should of known that.

Not true. I know someone who got an ED visa for a language school at KL just last week.

This is new.

I came on to also report this, as a friend who is in KL just emailed me to say his ED visa was turned down too and he's studying at a university in Thailand. Same reason given. Now requires a university degree. No university degree, no ED visa for you.

Edited by ubonjoe
Removed a inflammatory comment

They have only been doing ED visas for University studies for some time now in KL. Your school should of known that.

Not true. I know someone who got an ED visa for a language school at KL just last week.

This is new.

I came on to also report this, as a friend who is in KL just emailed me to say his ED visa was turned down too and he's studying at a university in Thailand. Same reason given. Now requires a university degree. No university degree, no ED visa for you.

It is not new. Here is a report from October of last year of a denial for attending a language school, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/676172-kl-has-refused-ed-visa-for-2-perfectly-documented-applications/#entry6947169

Not sure how somebody got one last week. Perhaps that feel into the full time student category most are only part time.,

This is new.

So, the incredibly intelligent Thai junta have now decided you're not smart enough to learn anything new if you don't already have a degree.

Loving this!  Mass exodus from Thailand of most farangs coming soon, as retirement visas are the next thing they're going after - so I hear from someone I know at immigration.

So now you need to have a university degree to study for a university degree!

The madness gets madder....

No madness. Usually you need officially certified papers from your home country and these papers meet the host's countries demands. Usually acceptable school papers plus a year or more in a university of your home country. Or you need to present a certified university degree which would qualify you to enter a university.

There are some variations but in principle these are quite common requirements. A consulate cannot assess a visa applicants' status without the university's paperwork in hand.

Universities have to guard academic standards (ok, bring it on, this is Thailand...., i know) and admit only students who are fit to do so. In other words, football hooligans will face the same barriers in Thailand as they do elsewhere. I am not referring to the posters or anyone specific. Just in general to make the point clearer.

Edited by mike2011

This is new.

So, the incredibly intelligent Thai junta have now decided you're not smart enough to learn anything new if you don't already have a degree.

Loving this!  Mass exodus from Thailand of most farangs coming soon, as retirement visas are the next thing they're going after - so I hear from someone I know at immigration.
So now you need to have a university degree to study for a university degree!

The madness gets madder....

Ummmm...no....a course in Thai presumably ends with some kind of certificate saying you have completed a course in basic Thai...not a university degree....not sure where you got that idea from....

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

University degree as the westerners understand a university degree or as the standard Thai understanding a university degree. One is difficult to get, while almost all forreigners would have the other version clap2.gif rolleyes.gif whistling.gif clap2.gifwhistling.gif clap2.gif