Bangkok Metropolitan Police tackle traffic problems at shopping malls

webfact

Metropolitan police tackle traffic problems at shopping malls

BtdZIfmCUAArZ6b-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Metropolitan police today invited representatives of major shopping malls in Bangkok to seek their cooperation in helping to ease traffic problems on streets where these malls located.

Chairing the meeting Thursday is Pol Maj Gen Adul Narongsak, in charge of traffic affairs.

Taking part at the meeting included representatives from The Mall, Central, and Robinson.

The police aimed to raise three issues and will seek their cooperation to ease traffic congestion.

Traffic problem in front of shopping malls, traffic management inside their parking areas, and traffic congestion at their car parks.

The police discussed with them the possibility of relocating their security booths for distributing and recollecting park tickets as it is one of the reasons that causes heavy traffic congestion in front of these malls.

A possibility of allocating parking areas for the people with disability and reservation of parking areas for VIP customers for other customers to park as reservation of places has caused the parking area to be inadequate.

And to give special discounts to customers who leave their cars at homes to shop at their malls.

Pol Maj-Gen Adul said opinions of the executives of the department stores will be taken into account for drafting a memorandum of understanding and they will be invited again to sign the MOU on the traffic management on August 4.

He said the police have already finished traffic management at 10 shopping malls with the remaining 83 to be achieved throughout the capital in a few weeks.

The next target will be talks with schools on August 14 , and the fresh markets on August 18 where traffic will be re-managed for better traffic flow.

(Photo : twitter @Pat_ThaiPBS)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/metropolitan-police-tackle-traffic-problems-shopping-malls/

[thaipbs]2014-07-31[/thaipbs]

• Like 1

The police discussed with them the possibility of relocating their security booths for distributing and recollecting park tickets as it is one of the reasons that causes heavy traffic congestion in front of these malls.

Alternatively, get rid of the ticket exchange farce...

• Like 2

The problem is not with the cars. All shopping mall have car parks.

The problem are with the buses, vans, taxis and motocycles. They all should be ban.

While doing that, please don't forget to lower the luxury tax.

The problem is not with the cars. All shopping mall have car parks.

The problem are with the buses, vans, taxis and motocycles. They all should be ban.

While doing that, please don't forget to lower the luxury tax.

Isn't a taxi a car? 

I don't blame anyone.... the shopping malls I go to usually by BTS,MRT,bus taxi and/or walk.

I don't see any problem but then I'm not a farang that whines everyday at how Thailand is dysfunctional & our home countries are so much better.

• Like 2

I don't blame anyone.... the shopping malls I go to usually by BTS,MRT,bus taxi and/or walk.

I don't see any problem but then I'm not a farang that whines everyday at how Thailand is dysfunctional & our home countries are so much better.

I love BKK public transport 90% of the time.  But, while I'm in conceptual agreement, there is a downside to public transport.

I miss having the trunk of a car to put stuff in between shops.  It's a little irritating to reach the limit of what I can buy when I can't carry any more.  Then it's a trip home to dump my goodies, and another trip out to pick up the rest of the stuff I need that day.  

Makes for a long day of shopping (for those of us who don't have a Thai wife or GF who can tell their friend, the taxi driver, how to deliver my goodies to my home while I'm out buying more)  

A car trunk solves that problem.

The biggest problem at Future Park Rangsit are the Vans and buses blocking 4 of the 5 lanes. 

same at most shopping malls...i never go into these malls but its plain to see that taxis and vans block most of the lanes without any law enforcement to control them.

• Like 1

I love BKK public transport 90% of the time.  But, while I'm in conceptual agreement, there is a downside to public transport.

I miss having the trunk of a car to put stuff in between shops.  It's a little irritating to reach the limit of what I can buy when I can't carry any more.  Then it's a trip home to dump my goodies, and another trip out to pick up the rest of the stuff I need that day.  

Makes for a long day of shopping (for those of us who don't have a Thai wife or GF who can tell their friend, the taxi driver, how to deliver my goodies to my home while I'm out buying more)  

your name must be Impulse_shopping then ? 555

But the OP is about improving traffic at shopping malls...so you should think this is a good idea if solutions can be applied.

I was mostly referring to the consistent whiners that everything about Thailand is bad..always been bad..always will be bad..but they are still here whistling.gif

your name must be Impulse_shopping then ? 555

But the OP is about improving traffic at shopping malls...so you should think this is a good idea if solutions can be applied.

I was mostly referring to the consistent whiners that everything about Thailand is bad..always been bad..always will be bad..but they are still here 

I'm the opposite.  I generally hate shopping.  That's why I want to get it over in one trip.   Women go shopping- I try to go on a surgical mission.

Absolutely agree on the whining.

• Like 1

What sort of farang are you... The only other one I can think of is the one that bends over and gets.......

• Like 1

How about making people pay to use the car parking in the shopping malls? 100 baht an hour weekdays and 120 baht at weekends? Free car parking is an encouragement to take the car. 

(And of course keeping with Thai custom the fee would be 400 baht per hour for foreigners) 

I disagree, that is the British mentality of fleece the motorist at every turn.

• Like 1

What sort of farang are you... The only other one I can think of is the one that bends over and gets.......

Just because I don't blame Thailand everyday for everything doesn't mean I bend over for anyone.

I reserve my whining for whiners on TV whistling.gif

How much do you need for one day? We live out in the sticks and only really need to do a "big shop" once a week. Truth be known we don't even need to do that really (plenty of fresh veggies growing at home) but I like to go to town just for the hell of it.

• Like 1

Are you serious?
It's the Thai people who are "whining" about it; genius
I think they have the right to complain about traffic problems in their own country
I suggest you take your colonialist "whitey knows better" attitude and go home

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Are you serious?
I think they have the right to complain about traffic problems in their own country

I'm guessing you are serious......I was referring to those posters on TV that were saying nothing will improve ...with anything in Thailand or specifically to traffic at shopping malls.

I'm under the impression there will be improvement..

Luckily I don't listen to suggestions about going home from someone I don't know whistling.gif

• Like 1

How about making people pay to use the car parking in the shopping malls? 100 baht an hour weekdays and 120 baht at weekends? Free car parking is an encouragement to take the car. 

(And of course keeping with Thai custom the fee would be 400 baht per hour for foreigners) 

Haha in this case I don't think your latter suggestion would fly - out of all the drivers in Thailand very few of them are foreigners and every driver can easily afford to pay 100 an hour without needing to discriminate different types of customers and on the expectation that maybe one out of 1000 cars is being driven by a foreigner. I know your comment is tongue in cheek, but I just wanted to point out there would be no logic in any such plan.

Dual pricing only really applies to tourist attractions including national parks anyway.

Anyway back on topic - did you know that even though many malls have 2-3 hours free parking, if you spend a certain amount starting at only 500 Baht or so, an additional 2 or so hours of free parking is added on and for 1000 or 1500 Baht it's another 2 hours and so on. Of course many malls have unlimited free parking such as Mega Bang Na, despite handing out parking cards. Mega Bang Na however doesn't seem to have a lack of parking spaces, unlike some other malls, particularly city center ones such as Paragon on the weekends (although weekdays including Friday evenings tend to be OK).

I agree with the vans and buses blocking the way near shopping malls (and taxis too to some extent, just see the picture above). Somehow I think Thailand has too many vans and buses, especially given how many Thais now have cars me thinks that perhaps there should be proportionally fewer buses on the roads? In advanced countries such as the USA and Australia, there is not much public transport because there's not much demand. Aside from central areas like paragon, please don't tell me that there are a significant number of Thais that use public transport to go to a shopping mall? I'd be willing to wager a guess that 75%+ use their own cars (or motorcycles) even at malls in upcountry cities like Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen and Udon Thani. Besides, most items sold in malls like Central would be too expensive for the public transport using masses and unlike in the west, most Thai drivers would never consider catching public transport (aside from the BTS, MRT or taxi from time to time) since they own a car! That's their way of thinking.

Are you serious?

I'm guessing you are serious......I was referring to those posters on TV that were saying nothing will improve ...with anything in Thailand or specifically to traffic at shopping malls.
I'm under the impression there will be improvement..
Luckily I don't listen to suggestions about going home from someone I don't know whistling.gif

So the Thais complain about something; the govt vows to do something about it; a few westerners say "yea I hate that crap too" then you berate, belittle and insult them for it
You are exactly the kind of person who should be told to leave

• Like 1

@Eliot Rosewater

"So the Thais complain about something; the govt vows to do something about it; a few westerners say "yea I hate that crap too" then you berate, belittle and insult them for it
You are exactly the kind of person who should be told to leave
"

I didn't see that Thai were complaining in the OP so before you continue crying in your beer..this is about traffic in front of Malls & Police looking for solutions.

in your first post you stated "I suggest you take your colonialist "whitey knows better" attitude and go home" and since I wasn't blaming Thai & you were I kinda thought you are odd

But in your 2nd post because I "berate, belittle and insult" westerners that I am the kind of person who should be told to go home.....ok now I know you''re weird.

I think you are attacking me because maybe you had a bad day.....possibly a drunk..or maybe you went to the mall & you couldn't get a parking spot whistling.gif