Bangkok Metropolitan Police tackle traffic problems at shopping malls

webfact

I can take a good bet that 75% of people who posted in this thread DO NOT drive a car. Your attitudes would be very different if you had to drive and try to park, even at your local Lotus or Big-C on a Saturday!

• Like 1

I can take a good bet that 75% of people who posted in this thread DO NOT drive a car. Your attitudes would be very different if you had to drive and try to park, even at your local Lotus or Big-C on a Saturday!

I totally agree with you as I don't drive a car I don't notice the traffic at the malls ..except that it's always busy.

That's the main reason I don't have a car here...but understand why some would want to have one..especially with a family.

But if I did drive a car I would hope I wouldn't be blaming Thailand for the planning of the malls..there's lots of traffic all the time.

The question is if one believes the Police can solve anything......short of rebuilding Bangkok & all the malls...I believe there are solutions that can help traffic flow.

I don't have the solutions & since I have no voice in Thailand it would be kinda lame anyways.

It's up to Thai & Thailand to decide...not the farang to decide.

I see improvement happening in Thailand..slow but steady...

and if it doesn't improve...I still like being here...

I even like going to the Malls here...

Way to many cars and taxis on the roads and not enough government planning. Here are the options:

1. create a Singaporean meter system where cars/taxi are charged for entering certain zones depending on time of day etc. This reduces traffic.

2. have the government start claiming land and demolish and build larger roads.

@Eliot Rosewater
"So the Thais complain about something; the govt vows to do something about it; a few westerners say "yea I hate that crap too" then you berate, belittle and insult them for it
You are exactly the kind of person who should be told to leave
"

I didn't see that Thai were complaining in the OP so before you continue crying in your beer..this is about traffic in front of Malls & Police looking for solutions.
in your first post you stated "I suggest you take your colonialist "whitey knows better" attitude and go home" and since I wasn't blaming Thai & you were I kinda thought you are odd

But in your 2nd post because I "berate, belittle and insult" westerners that I am the kind of person who should be told to go home.....ok now I know you''re weird.
I think you are attacking me because maybe you had a bad day.....possibly a drunk..or maybe you went to the mall & you couldn't get a parking spot whistling.gif

You didnt see that Thais were complaining?
Who is taking the action? Thais

The OP is about the govt enforcing the law because THAIS don't like the traffic problems near malls and have been complaining about it
Wow; not difficult to understand....

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

@Eliot Rosewater
"So the Thais complain about something; the govt vows to do something about it; a few westerners say "yea I hate that crap too" then you berate, belittle and insult them for it
"

I didn't see that Thai were complaining in the OP so before you continue crying in your beer..this is about traffic in front of Malls & Police looking for solutions.
in your first post you stated "I suggest you take your colonialist "whitey knows better" attitude and go home" and since I wasn't blaming Thai & you were I kinda thought you are odd

But in your 2nd post because I "berate, belittle and insult" westerners that I am the kind of person who should be told to go home.....ok now I know you''re weird.
I think you are attacking me because maybe you had a bad day.....possibly a drunk..or maybe you went to the mall & you couldn't get a parking spot whistling.gif

The OP is about the govt enforcing the law because THAIS don't like the traffic problems near malls and have been complaining about it

No I didn't see that Thai were complaining.

as in the OP "Metropolitan police today invited representatives of major shopping malls in Bangkok to seek their cooperation in helping to ease traffic problems on streets where these malls located."

I see it as the Police..maybe from orders or direction from the top...as they did at Victory Monument with the Vans clogging the streets..or the motorcycle stands..making it better.

"The police aimed to raise three issues and will seek their cooperation to ease traffic congestion.
Traffic problem in front of shopping malls, traffic management inside their parking areas, and traffic congestion at their car parks.
"

This is constructive...they are looking for solutions..... naively I think they will make some improvement.

Thai aren't usually whiners...it's farang that are whiners. whistling.gif

Thailand has lost uncountable man hours and untold billions of baht in nonrenewable resources from cars  stuck in traffic around shopping  malls in Bkk. . 

An ideal solution would be  to create a successful campaign to boycott shopping at any Central owned mall. That would really put the heat on the situation here. 

No, the problem is the lack of planing. There is no urban development plan, a shopping mall can be built with a narrow one-way street as sole access. Look at Ploenchit Road: Central Embassy, Central World, Gaysorn Plaza, then Rajaprasong intersection with Central World followed by Paragon (on Rama 1) and Siam Center, Siam Discovery, MBK ... all one next to the other and the common access street has 5 lanes in one direction and 1 in the opposite direction.

It doesn't take prophecy to anticipate daily huge traffic jams.

Nobody thinks ahead, no planing, no future development, just a huge jungle. The ones to blame are both the BMA and the shopping centers.

Boy can I appreciate the statement "no (Thai)body thinks ahead, no planing....

That seems to be part of Thainess. Never think a/b consequences/end result etc. Really difficult to comprehend for most Westerners. Sad to say I have not yet given up "logical thinking" as a result of living in Lack of Sanctions (LOS). 

No, the problem is the lack of planing. There is no urban development plan, a shopping mall can be built with a narrow one-way street as sole access. Look at Ploenchit Road: Central Embassy, Central World, Gaysorn Plaza, then Rajaprasong intersection with Central World followed by Paragon (on Rama 1) and Siam Center, Siam Discovery, MBK ... all one next to the other and the common access street has 5 lanes in one direction and 1 in the opposite direction.

Nobody thinks ahead, no planing, no future development, just a huge jungle. The ones to blame are both the BMA and the shopping centers.

That seems to be part of Thainess. Never think a/b consequences/end result etc. Really difficult to comprehend for most Westerners. Sad to say I have not yet given up "logical thinking" as a result of living in Lack of Sanctions (LOS). 

Thais do indeed plan ahead....they plan to let someone else fix it later.

@Eliot Rosewater
"

No I didn't see that Thai were complaining.
as in the OP "Metropolitan police today invited representatives of major shopping malls in Bangkok to seek their cooperation in helping to ease traffic problems on streets where these malls located."
I see it as the Police..maybe from orders or direction from the top...as they did at Victory Monument with the Vans clogging the streets..or the motorcycle stands..making it better.
"The police aimed to raise three issues and will seek their cooperation to ease traffic congestion.
Traffic problem in front of shopping malls, traffic management inside their parking areas, and traffic congestion at their car parks.
"
This is constructive...they are looking for solutions..... naively I think they will make some improvement.
Thai aren't usually whiners...it's farang that are whiners. whistling.gif

Yes and why do they have these meetings and take action? Because Thai people complain and want to see improvement
Boy are you silly......
And yes, Thais whine just as much as westerners, it is just done differently
You really have alot to learn, don't you......

I agree with the vans and buses blocking the way near shopping malls (and taxis too to some extent, just see the picture above). Somehow I think Thailand has too many vans and buses, especially given how many Thais now have cars me thinks that perhaps there should be proportionally fewer buses on the roads? In advanced countries such as the USA and Australia, there is not much public transport because there's not much demand. Aside from central areas like paragon, please don't tell me that there are a significant number of Thais that use public transport to go to a shopping mall? I'd be willing to wager a guess that 75%+ use their own cars (or motorcycles) even at malls in upcountry cities like Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen and Udon Thani. Besides, most items sold in malls like Central would be too expensive for the public transport using masses and unlike in the west, most Thai drivers would never consider catching public transport (aside from the BTS, MRT or taxi from time to time) since they own a car! That's their way of thinking.

I would like to point out that Bangkok has less than 25% of the area devoted to streets that most large US cities have devoted to streets. There are simply not enough streets in Bangkok for the number of people who have to travel for work/deliveries. The number of passengers on a bus take proportionately less street than the equivalent number of passengers in cars. The same with motorcycles. If everyone took motorcycles and buses, rather than cars, the streets wouldn't be so overcrowded. One person in a car takes as much street space as 8 to twelve people on motorcycles (some are two-up). Eight persons in eight cars takes more space than 60 persons in a bus. Another point in the OP is the fact that there, already, is not enough parking at the malls for cars and you want more people to take cars instead of buses. Condominiums and apartment blocks are required to have only 60 parking places for every 100 units and you want more people to take cars rather than buses. Do you work for a car manufacturer?

In advanced countries such as the USA and Australia, there is not much public transport because there's not much demand.

The citizens of those countries are among the wealthiest in the world and can afford a personal car. Thailand is not an advanced country as are the US and Australia and, if you had your wish of fewer buses, most people would have to walk because they can't afford a car. 

please don't tell me that there are a significant number of Thais that use public transport to go to a shopping mall?

You are most likely correct. The buses are full of people who work at low-paying jobs in the area (maybe even at the mall as janitors, clerks, etc, and they can't afford to drive a car) or maybe they have to pass through the area to get to their jobs. Not everyone on the buses and vans are going to malls. Should they have to walk to make room for the people who are wealthy enough to own private cars? Cars designed to hold five or six people but usually only have one person.

I do have one possible solution that might help a little. Put vertical parking towers near mall exits for taxis to wait (ten high) so they don't cruise the streets filling them up with empty taxis.

[attachment=277478:auto juke-box.jpg]

Edited by rametindallas

It's the Buddha's teaching of 'live in the moment, there is no future and no past; only 'now''.