Thais urged not to panic over Ebola outbreak in Africa

webfact

Thais urged not to panic over Ebola outbreak in Africa
By Digital Content

ebo.jpg

BANGKOK, July 31 -- The Ministry of Public Health urged Thais not to panic over reports of the Ebola virus disease as its risk was low in Thailand.

In response to the reports that the US Peace Corps withdrew hundreds of its volunteers from Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone due to concerns about the epidemic of the disease in West Africa, the Thai Ministry of Public Health stated that the risk of an epidemic in Thailand was very small and Thais should not panic.

However, the Bureau of Epidemiology of the ministry is conducting surveillance regarding the disease and following advice from the World Health Organization (WHO).

Hospitals have been put on standby and the Department of Medical Sciences is ready for laboratory tests for the disease.

Today the Ministry of Public Health conducted an exercise to treat air passengers with the Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus.

The ministry reported that there were 853 MERS-CoV patients in 21 countries and that 330 of them died.

The majority are Middle Eastern people and hajj pilgrims. No MERS-CoV patients have been found in Thailand.

The ministry is also watching out for its presence in Thailand and has prepared special health care for Thai Muslims who will make the hajj to Mecca in September. (MCOT online news)

[tna]2014-07-31[/tna]

I was always under the impression that Ebola is exclusive to Africa. Aside from it being transmitted from someone carrying the virus then surely there is no risk of it showing up elsewhere. Unless anyone knows different.

I was always under the impression that Ebola is exclusive to Africa. Aside from it being transmitted from someone carrying the virus then surely there is no risk of it showing up elsewhere. Unless anyone knows different.

If you want to read up on Ebola, find a book called "the hot zone" scary reading, traces the history of Ebola, and even suggests the theroy that the root of the virus is from bats.

If you read that book they suggest Ebola in its current mutation can not become so widespread because it kills so effiicently, it flairs up in areas per the books title in Hot zones and then burns itself out, basically cos there is no one left to kill...sad.png

however if I remember correctly there was a bit of a discussion about if it mutated and became air borne, like a flu virus and implications, basically mankind could be in deep sh*t

• Like 1

what if someone flies in whilst it is in its incubation period?

If it's anything like SARS in China, they can (will try to?) track down everyone who sat anywhere near them on the airplane and quarantine them.  Of course, that's easier in China where foreigners have to report their whereabouts.  Hmmmm?

It can be bad news, but here's a ray of hope from Nat Geo:  http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/07/140729-ebola-america-disease-epidemic-africa-medicine-science/

It's about the USA, but generally applies to any country with advanced medical facilities.  (And, yes- Thailand has some advanced medical facilities)

Follow some of the links at the bottom of the Nat Geo article.  Good reading.

Edited by impulse

Suggest you watch the news once in a while, various countries are on alert for it being brought in by travelers, people are being tested in those countries as we speak, including the UK and Hong Kong.

Air travel might give you a hint.

Yeah and HIV is exclusive to homosexuals.

Edited by Mudcrab

It started in 1 country in west Africa now in 4.

The virus is transmitted via fluids,  blood-vomit-toilet excrement-saliva-body fluids --the most vulnerable are care workers, hospital staff, aid workers and the like.

The best man on the job a European consultant said it is near certain at this stage it is NOT airborne.   It will have to be contained in W.Africa, so the fight is there at the minute.

Of course there is a possibility a person who has been in contact with the disease could carry it.--I got this info from Aljazeera.

• Like 1

Air travel can carry the virus, so the authorities should consider vetting those that originate from the countries which are currently on alert for carriers. The risks are far too high if there was an outbreak in Thailand, as the authorities are not geared up for this type of emergency.

The virus is transmitted via fluids,  blood-vomit-toilet excrement-saliva-body fluids --the most vulnerable are care workers, hospital staff, aid workers and the like.

The best man on the job a European consultant said it is near certain at this stage it is NOT airborne.   It will have to be contained in W.Africa, so the fight is there at the minute.

Of course there is a possibility a person who has been in contact with the disease could carry it.--I got this info from Aljazeera.

The BBC is reporting that some airlines have suspended service to and from selected locations in Africa.

I have no idea about flights from the area in question to Bkk but i'm supposing there must be some and of course there are passengers from that area.

"as its risk was low in Thailand." Sure, and Suddam had weapons of mass destruction....and Anna Nicole really loved Howi Marchall!

I think it's time to start isolating everyone coming from/transiting thru the crisis zone till they can be sure they aren't carrying the bug. 

The BBC is reporting that some airlines have suspended service to and from selected locations in Africa.

I have no idea about flights from the area in question to Bkk but i'm supposing there must be some and of course there are passengers from that area.

Reports said it started in Guinea then into 3 neighbouring countries incl., Liberia, the PM there is taking all the measures at her disposal to halt the spread.  When sick the patients care person is very vulnerable. Here lies the greatest threat.

it's only a matter of time before these "health care professionals" import this ebola into south east asia. too good of an opportunity for these mercenaries to miss out on.
remember they have done it with other diseases in the past. eg chikungunya within a month or two.
and they spread dengue yearly so ebola is just another string in their bow.
also trying again with malaria read the press.

edit who can forget the various HxNx flus

Erm, say what?

it's only a matter of time before these "health care professionals" import this ebola into south east asia. too good of an opportunity for these mercenaries to miss out on.

remember they have done it with other diseases in the past. eg chikungunya within a month or two.

and they spread dengue yearly so ebola is just another string in their bow.

also trying again with malaria read the press.

edit who can forget the various HxNx flus

Are you OK, perhaps lay down for a while!

Air travel might give you a hint.

Yeah and HIV is exclusive to homosexuals.

Yes, and I said in my post, aside from it being transmitted from someone carrying the virus jackass, which would obviously be from someone flying in with it. 

If you want to read up on Ebola, find a book called "the hot zone" scary reading, traces the history of Ebola, and even suggests the theroy that the root of the virus is from bats.

If you read that book they suggest Ebola in its current mutation can not become so widespread because it kills so effiicently, it flairs up in areas per the books title in Hot zones and then burns itself out, basically cos there is no one left to kill...sad.png

however if I remember correctly there was a bit of a discussion about if it mutated and became air borne, like a flu virus and implications, basically mankind could be in deep sh*t

Thanks for an informative reply without any cocky comments Soutpeel. This was the kind of reply I was hoping for.