No need to worry says Bangkok Immigration Commander

Sounds fair enough. I have a passport copy stamped by the British Embassy and I think I will now also carry a photocopy of my visa.

Might as well just carry your passport, save a lot of potential aggro. I'm in Bangers Monday for business will have my passport in jacket pocket.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DC Voravat was duplicated on the Hua Hin forum. Everyone was relieved. However, I can confirm that the immigration/police stance here is that you MUST carry your original passport with you. People are being stopped and fined. Photocopy and/or Thai driving licence is not an option.

My son, who lives on the Bkk side of Samut Sakhon was stopped only yesterday. The policeman was very agressive and demanded his passport. The many types of photo ID he had was not accepted. 2,000 baht fine but finished up giving a backhander to proceed on his way.

A lot of sense from DC Voravat but it's not carrying any weight.

Well since your son bribed the cop, (which reinforces the cops behavior) we will never know whether he would have actually been fined.

I have never and will never bribe a cop here even if it is "the Thai way." I refuse to contribute to the #1 problem plaguing this country.

I do agree with you but when you are driving in a part of the country you are not familiar with and a cop says you were speeding or the likes, passing him 200 baht saves a hell of a lot of hassle

Sounds fair enough. I have a passport copy stamped by the British Embassy and I think I will now also carry a photocopy of my visa.

Might as well just carry your passport, save a lot of potential aggro. I'm in Bangers Monday for business will have my passport in jacket pocket.

Pssst. Hey, Somchai! Be sure & check their jacket pockets....

Sunday afternoon now and after all the confusion and misinformation since last Thursday can I assume that this matter has been Completely

clarified.?

Do I assume that My Thai D/L will suffice as ID along with a Colour photocopy of my Passport?

Do I assume that if I travel from Prachuab Kirikhan Province where I live, and stay at a private address in another Province,that I do not have to

report to Immigration? (If the Answer is that I do need to report, and I arrive on a Friday night or on a Thai Holiday,then can I report to the

Local Police if Immigration is closed?

My thanks to both Scott and The Colonel,and I look forward to clear answers to the above.

2 days ago - after the statement of Commander Voravat - there was to read in the German forum chookdee.de that headman Major Charoenchad from Immigration Udonthani has comfirmed on request, that all foreigner have to carry passport by the law. Right now there is no sentence if they can't show it, but this might change in the future. Not mentioned about showing a copy or a DL as BKK immi has told.

Who is right and who is wrong? I feel confused.

Same here, confused in Udon. Apparently local immigration can overrule BKK. I go for 90 day this week, will get the wife to speak to lady in immigration from her ville, that is if the same people are even there anymore. He also says foreigners must report within 24 hours after ariving in Udon. TM 28 anyone?

Thaivisa,give us a break!

Inmigration Phuket says this!...Inmigration Hua Hin says that! and now Inmigration Bangkok says whatever.

Give us a break

It's not really their fault, though. And I would suggest maybe you don't understand the current situation, if you can't understand why there is confusion. They are trying their best to relate current information - because it's super important right now. Much more important than the typical confusion that always characterized things in Thailand before. Different people in Thailand, have VERY different opinions about what they would like to see right now. Aren't you aware enough to understand that?

No.

A strong person who brooks no crap at the head of immigration law/policy implementation with a small, competent team in close contact with him/her to travel to the regions and disseminate the legal/policy position of the junta should be able to ensure consistency in application.

Its not hard - I have been involved in exactly this type of govt push to ensure consistency in policy and legal interpretation across a large govt department in Australia and none of our team were rocket scientists or brain surgeons. OK, we werent under military rule, but the apparatus of govt and the principles of communication are the same. If the will is there to ensure all immigration officers sing from the same hymn sheet, it can be done.

I cant help but think its easier to profit from a system where inconsistency is expected by your clients. That confusion is deliberately sown so that profit can be reaped.

How else can you explain it when some simple principles of communication, planning and 'common sense' could solve this whole silly mess?

Incompetence maybe?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Thailand is really shooting the goose that pays their golden egg.

All farang need to contact their embassy and the media. And TAT.

I've never felt sooooo unwelcome here as with these SHOW ME YOUR PAPERS days and threats.

Edited by IAMSOBAD

Sunday afternoon now and after all the confusion and misinformation since last Thursday can I assume that this matter has been Completely

clarified.?

Do I assume that My Thai D/L will suffice as ID along with a Colour photocopy of my Passport?

Do I assume that if I travel from Prachuab Kirikhan Province where I live, and stay at a private address in another Province,that I do not have to

report to Immigration? (If the Answer is that I do need to report, and I arrive on a Friday night or on a Thai Holiday,then can I report to the

Local Police if Immigration is closed?

My thanks to both Scott and The Colonel,and I look forward to clear answers to the above.

You can ASSUME IT ... but do not count on it ... it seems local Thai Immigration offices have differences of opinion as to what the law is versus what the Deputy in Bkk says... not just Hua Hin ...

// that I have said THIS INFORMATION IS COMING DIRECTLY FROM THE COMMISSIONER. The head of immigration.

What's next from you? //

Hi Scott.

Could I just make the suggestion that, when you will have another such meeting with high ranked people from Immigration, you suggest them that any new rule, or any change of rule, should be publish on their official site, as they did for the overstay here : http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/popup_anounce.html ?

Main part of recent problems and panic come from the fact we don't know if these "news" are just rumours or real rules. The fact that some officer in a small border said "some news" should not be presented as a "new official national rule" as it's has been the case on ThaiVisa.

We can't trust what is said on ThaiVisa, so we need a site we can trust: What could be better than immigration.go.th ? smile.png

PS: Thank for you participation here Scott smile.png

I will see what they say about their posting announcements on the Bangkok site.

If there is anything else anyone wants me to ask, if enough of the same questions are sent to me, I'll ask. Otherwise, no guarantees.

As far as the "news" being rumors or real, I can only control what I write and say and if it relates to immigration. I just write/verbalize what they tell me. Immigration contacted me. I did not contact them. I would much rather be fishing or doing a photo project instead of dealing with immigration issues but I felt an obligation to get this information out for the good of the expat community. With regards to ThaiVisa, what I know in my conversations with George is that he is adamant about confirming information as opposed to accepting secondhand info. Which is as it should be.

I have already said that immigration is attempting to standardize the way their policies are applied around the country. I'm sure it will take time to do this. The top brass has said this is something they're working on, and that's what I've said several times. I personally believe them but that's neither here nor there. For the time being, I would sit back, listen carefully to what is being said, and do what is required. If you're unsure or uncomfortable, do what puts you in the safest place to avoid trouble. For example, carry your passport at all times.

All that Thai Visa and I can do is present the information given to us. If the laws are changed every other day, that's what gets reported. If I am presented with fact, then it's stated as fact. If I'm giving an opinion, I have no problem stating this either.

I'm not here for douche bags to take their frustration out on. I live a mellow, carefree life, and I don't have a care in the world other than making sure my kids are healthy, wealthy and wise. Just because some here don't have their act together or perhaps are in an unusual predicament doesn't mean it's my responsibility to wipe their fannies—I will, however, show them the bum gun.
If you have serious problems with these immigration issues, maybe you do not qualify to stay here. Maybe you have to figure out another way to stay here. Maybe you need to go home for a short time to regroup. Some people may not want to do this but have no choice as they're out of options. That's life.

Thank you for your report on the meeting with immigration...do you have a channel(email or otherwise) where a few questions on the proposed changes and there consequences can be forwarded to the relevant officials Scott? Obviously through you wai2.gif

2 days ago - after the statement of Commander Voravat - there was to read in the German forum chookdee.de that headman Major Charoenchad from Immigration Udonthani has comfirmed on request, that all foreigner have to carry passport by the law. Right now there is no sentence if they can't show it, but this might change in the future. Not mentioned about showing a copy or a DL as BKK immi has told.

I reckon there are two laws at play. First, the immigration act which states that it's a 20k fine/max 2y jail if you can't produce the passport at all, but it doesn't necessitate carrying it with you all the time.

Then there's another one that applies to Thais and foreigners the same, I don't know where it is but I assume it's the National Identification Card Act, necessitating you to carry a valid ID (Which seems to be either passport or a Thai ID card) at all times, the fine being 2k baht. This would not be an immigration issue at all.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

Watch the solution we found in Germany to identify foreign residents:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_residence_permit

This would be possible in Thailand as well because we all are in their computer system already!

Apparently Thailand's IT systems are made by a U.S. company: http://cs.furman.edu/digitaldomain/themes/databases/db_crime.htm

The Thailand Central Population Database and ID card system, developed by the U.S. company Control Data Systems, features an integration of identification and database technologies. A government-issued smart ID card contains electronic fingerprint and facial image data. The card is linked to computer databases, controlled and maintained by the Interior Ministry, covering the entire Thai population.

The system enables access to an amazing variety of information: Central Population Database, National Election System, Political Party Database, Political Member Database, Voter Listing, Electronic Minority Group Registration System, Electronic Fingerprint Identification System, Electronic Face Identification System, Population and House Report System, National Tax Collection System, Village Information System, Secret Information System, Public Opinion System, Criminal Investigation System, National Security System, Social Security System, Passport Control System, Driver Control System, Gun Registration System, Family Registration System, Alien Control System, and Immigration Control System.

There is lingering hope.

The Thailand Central Population Database and ID card system, developed by the U.S. company Control Data Systems, features an integration of identification and database technologies. A government-issued smart ID card contains electronic fingerprint and facial image data. The card is linked to computer databases, controlled and maintained by the Interior Ministry, covering the entire Thai population.

The system enables access to an amazing variety of information: Central Population Database, National Election System, Political Party Database, Political Member Database, Voter Listing, Electronic Minority Group Registration System, Electronic Fingerprint Identification System, Electronic Face Identification System, Population and House Report System, National Tax Collection System, Village Information System, Secret Information System, Public Opinion System, Criminal Investigation System, National Security System, Social Security System, Passport Control System, Driver Control System, Gun Registration System, Family Registration System, Alien Control System, and Immigration Control System.

There is lingering hope.

There's always hope for Big Brother.

• Like 1

I reckon there are two laws at play. First, the immigration act which states that it's a 20k fine/max 2y jail if you can't produce the passport at all, but it doesn't necessitate carrying it with you all the time.

Then there's another one that applies to Thais and foreigners the same, I don't know where it is but I assume it's the National Identification Card Act, necessitating you to carry a valid ID (Which seems to be either passport or a Thai ID card) at all times, the fine being 2k baht. This would not be an immigration issue at all.

Yep. As I have said many times on this forum.

It is so frustrating to see official after official fumble around with this issue. It seems they don't even know the two laws, or are not concerned with clearly stating them. Getting anyone in this country to state something implicitly can quickly turn into a bang your head against the wall TIT moment.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

ScottMallon/ George any new word about this or the reporting while traveling issue? Thanks for the info update.

I take that as NO then.

I am sad to see there is no reply from George -he did say there would be an announcement ( several days ago)

and invited everyone to sign up for the 'breaking news newsletter' . If there is no news then just say so.

Bumped before it drops to 'page 3' and is completely forgotten.

Edited by pontious
  • Like 2