No need to worry says Bangkok Immigration Commander

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might have missed something, but..............

Deputy Commander and Police Colonel Voravat Amornvivat said these things. They have Generals, what do the Generals say?

Maybe they have nothing to say.

Deputy Commander and Police Colonel Voravat Amornvivat said these things. They have Generals, what do the Generals say?

Maybe they have nothing to say.

I was under the impression Colonel Amornvivat is the spokesman for immigration ? If so, it's his job to relay the message.

• Like 1

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=boss

1 Lt Gen, 13 Maj Gen..............with a Col representative for Bangkok Immigration. Who is he speaking for? Appears not everyone with all the different scenarios being discussed in different locations. 5 Immigration bureaus and 6 Immigration divisions. Would think there are probably some Brig Gen out there too.

Some great news and common sense on the passport front. But is there any clarification on the 24hr ruling of having to advise Immigration of change of address? This may also change as logistically is not always possible, particularly if moving around the LOS.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We are planning a story about the 24/48 hour reporting by tomorrow. Subscribe to Thaivisa newsletter and you will be the first to know:

http://www.thaivisa.com/newsletter-signup.html

Any progress on this ?

Any?

Come on Thai Visa News, I know you have been talking to the Immigration guys, when are you going to answer this question about the 24/48 hour reporting? It's a good long way since 'by tomorrow'. Or is this like sign in the bar window saying "Free Bee Tomorrow!"

I have trip planned to go stay with my friend in UT for a few days, and I don't want to get him or me in any trouble.

A work colleague informed me just now that last night he went through a police check on Sathu Pradit after having a root canal. He is working here 100% legally. He has a scooter. The police first asked him for his passport... Not a question about a driving license. Not a question about his motorcycle. Just "show me passport". Well he didn't have it because the employer holds the passports in a safe in the office. And even if it wasn't in the office, he still wouldn't carry it on his person because its inconvenient and silly I think we can all agree.

Anyways, the police said "you pay 2000baht and go to jail for tonight, no passport". My friend offered to pay 4000baht to avoid going to jail for the night, which the police took of course.

So immigration police commander says "Don't worry" but apparently there is plenty to worry about. My friend is a clean cut, friendly, awkwardly tall flamboyant American which nobody would never be suspected of being a trouble maker.

On top of that, there were about 10 police in front of his school this morning but he wasn't sure why.

Of course the Thai commander doesn't want to scare anyone away from the country. In reality, he has little say in on what happens day to day in the real world. So to everyone sucking off Thai immigration for their "crackdown" on corruption and illegal workers, if my friend had been illegal, he would still be here. Money still talks and shit still walks. This is extortion, and I think is just the beginning of the new Thailand LoS.

• Like 1

He is the official spokesperson for the immigration HQ, ie. the generals.

Anyways, the police said "you pay 2000baht and go to jail for tonight, no passport". My friend offered to pay 4000baht to avoid going to jail for the night, which the police took of course.

So immigration police commander says "Don't worry" but apparently there is plenty to worry about.

The 2000 baht is not from Immigration, it's not in Immigration Act. It's somewhere else in Thai legislation. The Commander is just stating the Immigration's point of view, which is not the complete picture. A regular police chief would know in what law the 2000baht is defined.

EDIT: Forgot there's a "Ask the lawyer" section here. I'll give it a shot. My question is currently going through moderation's queue, we'll see if there eventually is a reply.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 2

Surely with all this confusion and immigration offices individual interpretation of the rules, it's time for the overall Immigration Boss (whoever it is) to step up with a country wide and consistent interpretation of the law complete with penalties etc.

And you think that would make a difference.

As long as I stay here, and that's quite some time, I've always known that every government official regardless of which department he works, will make up and apply the laws as he goes.

• Like 1

So immigration police commander says "Don't worry" but apparently there is plenty to worry about.

The 2000 baht is not from Immigration, it's not in Immigration Act. It's somewhere else in Thai legislation. The Commander is just stating the Immigration's point of view, which is not the complete picture. A regular police chief would know in what law the 2000baht is defined.

EDIT: Forgot there's a "Ask the lawyer" section here. I'll give it a shot. My question is currently going through moderation's queue, we'll see if there eventually is a reply.

I have entered a perpetual loop in my existence bouncing between this thread and my question: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/750068-the-2000-baht-fine-for-not-carrying-a-valid-id/#entry8217588

A circular reference it's called cheesy.gif Oh well, better luck next time.

A work colleague informed me just now that last night he went through a police check on Sathu Pradit after having a root canal. He is working here 100% legally. He has a scooter. The police first asked him for his passport... Not a question about a driving license. Not a question about his motorcycle. Just "show me passport". Well he didn't have it because the employer holds the passports in a safe in the office. And even if it wasn't in the office, he still wouldn't carry it on his person because its inconvenient and silly I think we can all agree.

Anyways, the police said "you pay 2000baht and go to jail for tonight, no passport".

It would have been interesting if your friend had stopped at that point.

A night in gaol and a 2,000 Baht fine, reported across the media, including that in your friend's home country, would have done wonders for the Thai tourist industry - NOT. Maybe heads would have rolled after that.

• Like 1

So immigration police commander says "Don't worry" but apparently there is plenty to worry about. My friend is a clean cut, friendly, awkwardly tall flamboyant American which nobody would never be suspected of being a trouble maker.

On top of that, there were about 10 police in front of his school this morning but he wasn't sure why.

Of course the Thai commander doesn't want to scare anyone away from the country. In reality, he has little say in on what happens day to day in the real world. So to everyone sucking off Thai immigration for their "crackdown" on corruption and illegal workers, if my friend had been illegal, he would still be here. Money still talks and shit still walks. This is extortion, and I think is just the beginning of the new Thailand LoS.

Sounds like your friend didn't have a copy or a Thai drivers license, so nothing really contradictory to what the Col. Vorivat has said.

From everything I have read, (and I try to read it all so I can update the FB group I started on this kind of thing,) including the actual laws, "official" statements, as well as reports of actual encounters on the ground, we have 2 options.

1. Carry your passport.

2. Carry a photo copy of the information and current entry stamp/visa page of your passport and a Thai DL, but be prepared to wait for your original passport to be brought to you, or even brought to the nearest police station where the police may ask you to wait.

I will talk to some of my supervisors in the Thai police to see what they have been instructed to do.

Many fundamental problems remain and will not be resolved anytime soon.

Confusion, in my experience, starts the moment you are stopped by the bib as their English language skills are severely limited.

We also know that when they stop us they have 2 options; to apply the law in the normal way or use other methods.

Also,until ALL Immigration divisions understand and apply the laws uniformally and equally across the whole Country issues will remain.

On a brighter note,I was able ,earlier this week, to have a friendly chat with an Officer at HuaHin Immigration who was really helpful.

He listened to my concerns about carrying Passports and reporting within 24 hours when travelling to another Province.

His first comment was" You are not a criminal"...I agreed with him on that, and confirmed that during 11 years of living here I have always complied

with all laws ,regulations etc,just as I would do in my own Country.

His advice to me is to carry a color copy of my Passport,a copy of the permission to stay page,and my Thai driving licence.

With regard to staying at a private address outside of my Province,he confirmed that it is the duty of the Owner to notify Police or Immigration

of my stay,unless of course it is a Hotel or Guest House when a TM 30 will automatically be completed.

Hope this helps.

Its not about having a passport with you...its about being stopped and threatened by money grubbing thieves who just want to rob you. This must stop.

All embassy people should warn against this threat of jail and 2000 Baht shakedown.

Edited by IAMSOBAD
  • Like 2

Its not about having a passport with you...its about being stopped and threatened by money grubbing thieves who just want to rob you. This must stop.

All embassy people should warn against this threat of jail and 2000 Baht shakedown.

I do not believe this is a big problem. Maybe a few corrupted traffic cops will try to scare you about jail just to get money. When asked a Thai DL should be enough. I would call the media if they put me in jail just because I do not carry the passport with me.

• Like 1

Anyways, the police said "you pay 2000baht and go to jail for tonight, no passport".

A night in gaol and a 2,000 Baht fine, reported across the media, including that in your friend's home country, would have done wonders for the Thai tourist industry - NOT. Maybe heads would have rolled after that.

That's exactly how it will go down if they stop me without my passport, I'll go to court instead.

Then again if they're just traffic police you can just tell them to f*©k off. I remember my girlfriend going nuts at two of them once for pulling us over in Bangkok whilst in a taxi. They soon shut up and drove off. The real cops carry guns.

The rest seem to have a miserable, thankless job mostly being abused by egomaniacs...

Sounds like your friend didn't have a copy or a Thai drivers license, so nothing really contradictory to what the Col. Vorivat has said.

From everything I have read, (and I try to read it all so I can update the FB group I started on this kind of thing,) including the actual laws, "official" statements, as well as reports of actual encounters on the ground, we have 2 options.

1. Carry your passport.

2. Carry a photo copy of the information and current entry stamp/visa page of your passport and a Thai DL, but be prepared to wait for your original passport to be brought to you, or even brought to the nearest police station where the police may ask you to wait.

I will talk to some of my supervisors in the Thai police to see what they have been instructed to do.

How do you think the police would react if they found foreigners with passports that don't have visas and permanent residency books with only expired visas?

All perfectly legal, but I would be very surprised if many police officers are aware of it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

That's exactly how it will go down if they stop me without my passport, I'll go to court instead.

Then again if they're just traffic police you can just tell them to f*©k off. I remember my girlfriend going nuts at two of them once for pulling us over in Bangkok whilst in a taxi. They soon shut up and drove off. The real cops carry guns.

Thai traffic cops are real cops (well, as real as any other Thai cops anyway) and they carry guns.

204e842b8ebddd208552bc69075dff18.jpg

%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%B3%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A7%E0%

Please...anyone stopped and reporting here give us all the details of who what where when why. Please!

Thursday we have our monthly meeting with the superintendent of the Kathu police and this issue is on the agenda. I will let you know what he says.

• Like 1

doesn't answer any questions about the accompanying story regarding registration of your whereabouts within 48 hours of moving accommodation or province.

Maestro theorizeed that that regulation and the pertinent form TM28 was for permanent residents only and his logic seemed to make sense to me. So, if you move accomodation , the normal form TM30 is and always has been required.

Read the clarification but am always in habit of carrying my PP. We were stopped at a roadblock outside my wife's village last week and the BIB went through my PP page by page before waving us through. Why, is keeping your passport with you at all times not an option?

Forgot to add, thank you Deputy Commander for clarifying this!

Same here and I hope we can quote him on that when we get stopped biggrin.png

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

Yesterday people were posting it was a reasonable request,

and it's always been the law,

so if you don't like it leave.

Now Deputy Commander Voravat,

​is fortunately confirming what we were being slammed about discussing just yesterday.

“Making all foreigners in Thailand carry their original passports with them would be very difficult.”

I'm so glad to see Deputy Commander Voravat has more common judgement that most of the people posting their attacks

against the people who could properly evaluate just how difficult it would have been,

and try to discuss it on TV.

Respects for Deputy Commander Voravat.

Unfortunately Voravat is a DEPUTY commander and in now way responsible for the Immigration law (nationwide).

He is speaking for his own "toko" and that is Bangkok.

Thanks ThaiVisa for publishing the Nation-article in the first place and THIS even more confusing and disturbing comment from a DEPUTY commander.