No need to worry says Bangkok Immigration Commander

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget that a temporary ID card system would by as difficult, if not more so, to regulate as a permanent one. Without control and traceability through a proper database system there is no point having one.

And I reckon herein lies the problem. In the age of big data and cloud computing, immigration still stores thousands of A4's every single day. A proper e-government would eradicate many of the problems and nuisances and create new opportunities for f.ex. eradicating corruption, as the audit trails would be easy to analyze automatically. Too bad the NCPO hasn't even mentioned anything about modernizing the infrastructure.

Thaivisa,give us a break!

Inmigration Phuket says this!...Inmigration Hua Hin says that! and now Inmigration Bangkok says whatever.

Give us a break

It's not really their fault, though. And I would suggest maybe you don't understand the current situation, if you can't understand why there is confusion. They are trying their best to relate current information - because it's super important right now. Much more important than the typical confusion that always characterized things in Thailand before. Different people in Thailand, have VERY different opinions about what they would like to see right now. Aren't you aware enough to understand that?

Edited by John1thru10

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Forgot to add, thank you Deputy Commander for clarifying this!

yeah and thanks for all the confusion

...normal and customary for thailand

SOP (Standard Operating Procedure)......

Edited by John1thru10

Do you want to know something. I know two Thai brothers, bur their mother correctly registered one only at birth. Both have grown normally in society, got jobs, family and have a normal life. The undocumented one is also a volunteer police photographer. He is recognized as Thai by anyone, he is now slowly and painfully trying to gain his citizenship and documents. Technically he is an illegal undocumented alien, but nobody is making his life difficult and he is not being fined or arrested.

OK. So, be recognized as Thai by anyone and then you're cool.

Next.

Sorry, but the rules change so fast no one seems to know what is going on. How can Hua Hin immigration say one thing and then this guy says another a day later? Embassies and consulates outside of Thailand were not even informed of any changes of all as of last week, so you have to take any info with a grain of salt at the moment. Communication is not a strong point when it comes to Thais. The left hand usually doesn't know what the right is doing.

Lets let the dust settle and see where we stand in a few months. You can count on a complete shake up before it's all over.

Like my daddy always said. "If you want to know something ask the man on top". Apparently this still holds true.

Which means little if you don't have a hard copy. How do you print this? I can find no tab to print.

Like my daddy always said. "If you want to know something ask the man on top". Apparently this still holds true.

Which means little if you don't have a hard copy. How do you print this? I can find no tab to print.

First click on the "<" sign which is next to the post number (or 1 in the screenshot) and then press the Print button

post-10213-0-05390800-1406897514_thumb.j

Some great news and common sense on the passport front. But is there any clarification on the 24hr ruling of having to advise Immigration of change of address? This may also change as logistically is not always possible, particularly if moving around the LOS.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We are planning a story about the 24/48 hour reporting by tomorrow. Subscribe to Thaivisa newsletter and you will be the first to know:

http://www.thaivisa.com/newsletter-signup.html

Any progress on this ?

Any?

• Like 1

So whose statement prevails; the Pol. Col. and Immigration "Superintendent" in Hua Hin (Prachuap Khirikhan and Phetchaburi, actually), or the Pol. Col. & Deputy Commander in Bangkok? Is either one in the other's chain-of-command? Does either one have authority over the other, or speak for the national Immigration Authority? Can we safely assume that the "Bangkok" official is speaking for the whole country, or is a "Superintendent" 's rule more-or-less supreme within his little fiefdom? Most who've been following this with any concern seem to be breathing a big sigh of relief over the Deputy Commander's statement, and that's probably reasonable within Bangkok itself, but is that really warranted nation-wide?

(Please don't try & read between the lines here; it's an honest question. Two senior immigration officials in two different places saying two different things. No opinion or criticism intended, one way or the other.)

• Like 2

In affairs immigration, BKK is the obvious head of the snake, but this particular snake has the genes of a lizard and leaves tails wagging on the floor as it already sprouts a new one.

It's painfully obvious there are serious communication issues in the police force, including immigration. Time will tell what happens, but in an age where many of the Thais are connected to each other through social media 24/7/365 faxing obscure orders to offices seems down right ancient.

• Like 2

Common sense, in fact the essence is exactly what the purpose of the rules are if you are suspected

so clearly you can leave it in the hotel safe and prove its existence to the police on demand.

The problem is the Nation newspaper if this latest news is correct then the paper should offer a formal apology to all tourists and expats for creating a sensational story that would have strong ramifications for the tourist industry.

For ages we have all been aware the inaccuracies of news reports and how people have believed every word.

The journalists need a damn good kick up the backside and not confuse issues if they are unable to understand English.

I for one will continue to carry a copy of my passport

It should be noted that a certified copy is not an option as i was intending to go to Immigration on the 4th August and would have been furious to find out they had no idea what i wanted.

So whose statement prevails; the Pol. Col. and Immigration "Superintendent" in Hua Hin (Prachuap Khirikhan and Phetchaburi, actually), or the Pol. Col. & Deputy Commander in Bangkok? Is either one in the other's chain-of-command? Does either one have authority over the other, or speak for the national Immigration Authority? Can we safely assume that the "Bangkok" official is speaking for the whole country, or is a "Superintendent" 's rule more-or-less supreme within his little fiefdom? Most who've been following this with any concern seem to be breathing a big sigh of relief over the Deputy Commander's statement, and that's probably reasonable within Bangkok itself, but is that really warranted nation-wide?

(Please don't try & read between the lines here; it's an honest question. Two senior immigration officials in two different places saying two different things. No opinion or criticism intended, one way or the other.)

I learned a little bit about this when I had to sit an English exam on police procedure and ranks once for immigration in order to clear my 2 day overstay. (Long story.)

Thai police rankings are confusing, as they use what I would describe as a dual US-UK/EU system utilizing both Sgt, Lt., Cpt., Major, Col. and Gen's, many of which can be combined with a prefixes like "Sub-", 'Major-" and "Lt" and so on. But Thailand also uses "position" descriptions such as inspector, superintendent, commander, commissioner and director, with the occasional "deputy" and "assistant" mixed in to describe the actual position the person holds. The position they hold is more important than the rank they hold.

Both of these guys are reported to be immigration police colonels. That is very high, just under general. But what sets Vovorvat apart is that he is a deputy commander (one level above superintendent), and, more importantly, that he is based at the national headquarters. That puts him way, way higher than a mere superintendent of a single not so important district. Vorovat is likely in the top ten or twenty guys in the national chain of command. I have seen him quoted elsewhere, (as Woriwat) where he was described as the immigration spokesman. The Hua Hin superintendent, while the top guy in Hua Hin, (superintended is the highest rank for officers stationed outside of Bangkok HQ) is going to be in something like a 76 way tie (one for each province) well under Vorovat.

Capture-10.jpg

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

My friend was just stopped on Sukumvit and his passport was demanded.He has been here one night. His 1st trip here visiting from the US...Land of not welcome..

He should be happy he has not been kidnapped for ransom.

http://www.gulf-times.com/asean-philippines/188/details/363683/thai-cops-%E2%80%98kidnap%E2%80%99-two-italian-tourists

Of course, with the current government, nothing like that will ever happen again, and the country will be put shipshape in a short time. Please be patient in the meanwhile.

My friend was just stopped on Sukumvit and his passport was demanded.He has been here one night. His 1st trip here visiting from the US...Land of not welcome..

Where exactly? When? What happened? Final facts?

Why do people post without details?

Edited by IAMSOBAD
  • Like 2

I learned a little bit about this when I had to sit an English exam on police procedure and ranks once for immigration in order to clear my 2 day overstay. (Long story.)

Thai police rankings are confusing, as they use what I would describe as a dual US-UK/EU system utilizing both Sgt, Lt., Cpt., Major, Col. and Gen's, many of which can be combined with a prefixes like "Sub-", 'Major-" and "Lt" and so on. But Thailand also uses "position" descriptions such as inspector, superintendent, commander, commissioner and director, with the occasional "deputy" and "assistant" mixed in to describe the actual position the person holds. The position they hold is more important than the rank they hold.

Both of these guys are reported to be immigration police colonels. That is very high, just under general. But what sets Vovorvat apart is that he is a deputy commander (one level above superintendent), and, more importantly, that he is based at the national headquarters. That puts him way, way higher than a mere superintendent of a single not so important district. Vorovat is likely in the top ten or twenty guys in the national chain of command. I have seen him quoted elsewhere, (as Woriwat) where he was described as the immigration spokesman. The Hua Hin superintendent, while the top guy in Hua Hin, (superintended is the highest rank for officers stationed outside of Bangkok HQ) is going to be in something like a 76 way tie (one for each province) well under Vorovat.

Capture-10.jpg

Very informative. But <sigh> how many people are going to know any of this? And now someone's reporting here that somebody actually WAS stopped and his passport demanded in a Bangkok tourist area. The "hey, they're demanding to see passports!" story is going to circle the environs MUCH faster than the "no, not really" story... Just a few reports of that will totally discredit the Bangkok Deputy Commander's attempted reassurance.

• Like 1

Let me make it quite clear that I dont expect any tightening of procedures to affect me to the point that I would stop visiting Thailand. I do however think that the next few years will produce a degree of anti foreigner sentiment , its been par for the course for pretty much most Juntas , any place , any time. Its a fair bet that the Thai economy is going to be sluggish for a while to come , in such circumstances immigrants are often made the scapegoats. To those of you rejoicing at the moment , I would advise some caution , it may not be just the 'scum' that face difficulties in the near future.

DC Voravat was duplicated on the Hua Hin forum. Everyone was relieved. However, I can confirm that the immigration/police stance here is that you MUST carry your original passport with you. People are being stopped and fined. Photocopy and/or Thai driving licence is not an option.

My son, who lives on the Bkk side of Samut Sakhon was stopped only yesterday. The policeman was very agressive and demanded his passport. The many types of photo ID he had was not accepted. 2,000 baht fine but finished up giving a backhander to proceed on his way.

A lot of sense from DC Voravat but it's not carrying any weight.

DC Voravat was duplicated on the Hua Hin forum. Everyone was relieved. However, I can confirm that the immigration/police stance here is that you MUST carry your original passport with you. People are being stopped and fined. Photocopy and/or Thai driving licence is not an option.

My son, who lives on the Bkk side of Samut Sakhon was stopped only yesterday. The policeman was very agressive and demanded his passport. The many types of photo ID he had was not accepted. 2,000 baht fine but finished up giving a backhander to proceed on his way.

A lot of sense from DC Voravat but it's not carrying any weight.

So kind of you to create an account so that you can share such detail.