No need to worry says Bangkok Immigration Commander

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this makes the most sense. If you are in a situation where you need to present ID, you can go back to your house, apt or hotel and produce it. Fair enough.

I think it was just the wording of the other announcements that made it sound so draconian. Obviously, if there is an issue, you have to present your documents just like you would anywhere else, as it should be.

Like I said, they would prefer someone brings the passport to wherever you're located. This is what I was told. Obviously it isn't always possible but personally, if I don't have my passport, it will be somewhere the wife can go get it and easily find it.

Well, I can't think of a time here when I am more than 10-20 minutes away from where my passport is. Usually I do carry it, just because I constantly have paperwork I need to do with it. I also have to technically carry my work permit, too. And I have another Thai government ID, too.

If I am going out to get some beers and something to eat, though, I do leave the passport at home, which isn't far (I live in a small town). In BKK and larger tourist spots, I may or may not take it out on the town, depending on plans.

But yeah....definitely not leaving the province or even the town without my passport.

This is probably a tempest in a tea cup.

To be devils advocate, the question was first put to the Hua Hin Immigration Boss. Remember Thailand is very hierarchal and the Hua Hin boss didn't want to appear to contradict Thai law. So what's the safe answer? Quote the letter of the law. The big boss clarifies things and every one is happy. TIT :)

I carry a photo copy of the front page of my passport, the visa page and my Thai driver's license. Color copies of pass ports look even more impressive. I also keep photos of my passport, visa and 90 day report on my smart phone.

Overwhelm 'em with documents and they will be happy to be rid of you :)

Good news.

Thanks for getting the info for us Thai Visa.

And thanks to the Immigration Commander - at last it seems there is someone at Immigration who uses common sense!

I hope the Commander can tell Thai Visa every time Immigration have some news, it would be really helpful to alot of expats in Thailand.

What is the good news??

You are still required to produce your original passport promptly, if Immigration Police suspect you to be overstaying in Thailand or being involved in illegal activity. Why else would Immigration Police even consider to ask to see your passport?

• Like 1

The way i read this, and other immigration issues is the provincial bosses are scared of this new junta so are looking up their books to see what the book says and enforcing it out of fear and to cover their own backs. I understand why they "panic" but with a bit of relaxed common sense amongst the expat and long termers along with the contacts Thai Visa has we eventually get to the real ruling.

It's apparent there's going to be more panic laws/rules etc implemented by locals police bosses for the foreseeable future. This's something we will need to be calm about and accept as there is obviously a change in the tide in Thailands make up. I know many say, "I've seen this before it'll never last" That's fine and may well be true, i personally think there's a different tone to this Junta and i'm not so sure things will go back to how they were.

Lets hope the big bosses in Bkk have a look at a lot of these laws about immigration and update them in one way or another especially for the lads under 50 that are not married but bring in X amount every year

One thing i do know is it is still easy to live in Thailand with the right paper work.

Yes I think you are right.

I think this was the case with the story which came from the local immigration office the other day.

Now the big boss confirms, everything is back to normal

The way i read this, and other immigration issues is the provincial bosses are scared of this new junta so are looking up their books to see what the book says and enforcing it out of fear and to cover their own backs. I understand why they "panic" but with a bit of relaxed common sense amongst the expat and long termers along with the contacts Thai Visa has we eventually get to the real ruling.

Exactly. I've even worked in very rigidly controlled companies in the US where employees were very cautious about policy interpretations.

Tomorrow they will change again. Day after tomorrow they will retreat. Next week new bad news, than say mai pen rai.

They are just insane people who don t know what they are doing. They make declaration, than realize they are screwing up...and again and again...

• Like 1

Exactly. I've even worked in very rigidly controlled companies in the US where employees were very cautious about policy interpretations.

And there's nothing wrong with going by the book. Cool heads are going to be needed for a year or longer i think

THE END!!!

Until tomorrow when we get yet another clarification.cheesy.gifclap2.gif

I hope you are right and this guy is the man in the know and is giving out the correct information, but the previous 2 announcements on this subject have been superceded with yet further clarifications blink.png

• Like 1

"Thaivisa.com has today obtained official clarification on this matter."

Isn't that exactly what TV said the other day?

Maybe, but think thaivisa has learned, better go to head to get the right information. Thanks to scoot from bkk helping here.

I'm disappointed with Thaivisa, it just seems they want to bring as many people to their website as possible - spread a rumour here, spread a rumour there, then act like the big hero - wahey we have solved the problem! Genius!

Please stop doing this!

Stop doing what? This is no rumor. This is from the Deputy Commander of Immigration. Above him is the Deputy Superintendent, Superintendent, and finally, the Commissioner General. That makes him pretty high up and I take it pretty personally that you call this a a rumor when I am the one who spoke to the Colonel and I am the one who did so before. This isn't tabloid gossip and you can do one of two things, believe it, or not. It makes no difference to me at all.

I assume he meant both of the threads where things were 100% clarified by the hua hin boss.

I am baffled how anyone can talk to the boss of immigration on this issue, and not ask about the 24 hour TM28 reporting as stated by hua hin.. If they had his ear etc..

One starts to think the confusion and speculation is encouraged.. And the information drop fed.

• Like 1

What is the good news??

You are still required to produce your original passport promptly, if Immigration Police suspect you to be overstaying in Thailand or being involved in illegal activity. Why else would Immigration Police even consider to ask to see your passport?

The good news is, contrary to what was reported earlier, you can still leave the passport in a hotel safe and go get it from there if asked. No need to cram it up your <deleted> if you go for a swim.

Edited by DrTuner

I'm disappointed with Thaivisa, it just seems they want to bring as many people to their website as possible - spread a rumour here, spread a rumour there, then act like the big hero - wahey we have solved the problem! Genius!

Please stop doing this!

Stop doing what? This is no rumor. This is from the Deputy Commander of Immigration. Above him is the Deputy Superintendent, Superintendent, and finally, the Commissioner General. That makes him pretty high up and I take it pretty personally that you call this a a rumor when I am the one who spoke to the Colonel and I am the one who did so before. This isn't tabloid gossip and you can do one of two things, believe it, or not. It makes no difference to me at all.

Any chance of you getting him to create an account at TVF ?

"Thaivisa.com has today obtained official clarification on this matter."

Isn't that exactly what TV said the other day?

Maybe, but think thaivisa has learned, better go to head to get the right information. Thanks to scoot from bkk helping here.

In fact nothing has changed!

It is still a requirement to produce your passport on demand. If you fail to do so you will most likely be detained until it can be produced, and then fined 2,000.

Alternatively a small on the spot fine may be asked to save everyone the bother...

Is this is not another way of saying carry your passport with you at all times if you want to avoid problems, which, in his own garbled way, is precisely what the Hua Hin official said.

"And there's nothing wrong with going by the book"? Your picture shows somebody in a hard hat and you want to go by the book? My friend, I've been in a lot of situations where the book went right out the window and that was the appropriate response to the situation at hand. I've known a lot of "by the book" people, inevitably some of the worse "leaders" I've ever seen no matter what the profession. I hear some of those "by the book" folks didn't survive certain circumstances. I told a close friend's son before his first tour in Iraq that when that first bullet cracks overhead the book goes out the window, keep your ass down, stay alive, keep your brothers and sisters alive. Sometime later he said, "you know, that is exactly what my first shirt told me". The "book" makes a good guideline and great toilet paper.

• Like 1

"And there's nothing wrong with going by the book"? Your picture shows somebody in a hard hat and you want to go by the book? My friend, I've been in a lot of situations where the book went right out the window and that was the appropriate response to the situation at hand. I've known a lot of "by the book" people, inevitably some of the worse "leaders" I've ever seen no matter what the profession. I hear some of those "by the book" folks didn't survive certain circumstances. I told a close friend's son before his first tour in Iraq that when that first bullet cracks overhead the book goes out the window, keep your ass down, stay alive, keep your brothers and sisters alive. Sometime later he said, "you know, that is exactly what my first shirt told me". The "book" makes a good guideline and great toilet paper.

Nice one :)

Please stop doing this!

I assume he meant both of the threads where things were 100% clarified by the hua hin boss.

I am baffled how anyone can talk to the boss of immigration on this issue, and not ask about the 24 hour TM28 reporting as stated by hua hin.. If they had his ear etc..

One starts to think the confusion and speculation is encouraged.. And the information drop fed.

There is limited time and limited access. It will be answered eventually.

Any confusion or speculation is due to people not always hearing what they want to hear. This and people trying to interpret things in any way, shape or form that can help them with their situation. It's very simple. If an official tells you something, you report it. If he doesn't follow through or it doesn't make sense, the onus is on the official. But if the public is being told something by immigration, my own suggestion is to believe what is being said until otherwise changed, disputed or disproved. Perhaps Hua Hin jumped the gun or misinterpreted something, I don't know. But I do know the names of those who gave me information, and all are high ranking officials. For me, that's enough.

I did also make it a point to ask if overstaying by a day gets the person banned for five years. YES. If they are arrested, they get booted and a five year ban. If they turn themselves in, the penalty is 500 baht a day up to 20,000 baht for the first 89 days. It's pretty simple—don't overstay—if by chance you are going to overstay, turn yourself in to immigration before being caught and banned.

Edited by ScottMallon

I have done same and carried my Thai drivers license and a photo of my passport for 19 years here. Asked a few times for ID and always showed my TDL , never needed to show more.

If everyone had to carry their passport it would be a major problem as the black market would flooded with thousands of stolen and lost passports. Thailand already recently got bad international press regarding stolen and fake passports and I am sure they don't want that international press again.

I'd say this Commander is well aware of your/our concerns. many archaic rules are on the books but rarely enforced because they are unworkable. I've no ideal why they are not removed though, and replaced with something better - such as carrying some kind of photo ID (if you have a O-A or B visa). There should be distinct rules to differentiate between expats living here and tourists.

Why are some people still complaning? This issue is cleared up, so what is your problem than?

Or will some people have a problem when they are asked to show their pasport?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Scot, thanks for all the time and effort. Most of us realize it is hard to do what you have been doing. And yea, sometimes you are going to get bad info from people in high positions that will have to be corrected. Hey, TIT, This Is Thailand, the land of fantasy, misinformation and confusion. Hang in there.