Elite Card, Tax Writeoff ? (usa)

I was wondering If I can write the elite card off on my business taxes ? It seems like its a business expense. I own a business here in thailand and US. My accountant thinks its kinda grey. Has anyone written it off on their taxes US or otherwise?

can you right off your current business visa expenses for Thailand ?

If your running a business here, why would you need an elite card any way ? one suspects your already on a Non Imm B and possibly a WP

the elite card is not really intended as a business visa, so one suspects you would have a h*ll of time convincing the tax man this is a legitimate business expense.

I'm on a non Imm B, however I don't have 4 thai employees yet so I can't issue myself a work visa. With the crackdown the cheaper 500k elite card is a fairly cheaper option then hiring more people immediately. 

how is he elite card going to help you not employ more people, if your currently working illegally ?... I am confused as to connection your making between the two

Soutpeel I don't work here. I just wanted hassle free visas when I'm in the country. I keep reading about the crackdowns, want a way where I don't have to sweat immigration or have to do 90 day visa runs

I don't have 4 thai employees yet so I can't issue myself a work visa.

500k elite card is a fairly cheaper option then hiring more people immediately.

now I am really confused, you have business in Thailand with no employees and no one running the business in Thailand ?

• Like 1

This is getting extremely offtopic. I own a software consulting firm in NYC, my employees there are using outsourced resources that I find in Thailand. I'm here to scout talent and generally relax cause i've done quite well in the last few years. 

This is getting extremely offtopic. I own a software consulting firm in NYC, my employees there are using outsourced resources that I find in Thailand. I'm here to scout talent and generally relax cause i've done quite well in the last few years. 

I won't quote all the IRS rules for business expense deductions but one of the general precepts is the primary purpose of your trip has to be for business.  If you took some time off while doing that, that is OK. There is nothing wrong with traveling to recruit overseas, but just exactly how are you recruiting?  Are you posting fliers on the street?  Are  you running ads in the local newspapers such as "Pattaya M---"?  Are you attending job fairs or holding seminars at one of the universities?  Getting the Elite Card doesn't sound like anything I would try to write off.  First of all it is not that much money.  Second, if the IRS refuses it, then your tax return gets modified and you might put yourself on the radar for future audits. 

Mostly scouting via social networking here, I run some meetups in the city. Go out with programmers, goto events etc. So yeah its legitimate business expenses for me to be here, however I agree with you I don't think the Elite card will be a tax write off. Since a non-imm B will suffice for my business purposes. My big issue is i'm investigating a fair bit of money here so I don't want to run into any visa issue so the Elite card 5yr seems like a cheap choice to not run into problems.

Awesome just applied for apec business card, thats going to be super useful. Seems like it still doesn't make sense to get the elite card, unless they put more restrictions on the non imm - B visa.

Sounds like you need an APEC travel pass

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1638/~/apec-business-travel-card-(abtc)-for-u.s.-citizens

That would be a tax write off.

Awesome just applied for apec business card, thats going to be super useful. Seems like it still doesn't make sense to get the elite card, unless they put more restrictions on the non imm - B visa.

As a current Non-Immigrant B holder, my guess is that they're going to start denying entry to Non-Immigrant B holders who don't have a Thai work permit (I seriously doubt a Thai Immigration officer has ever been reprimanded for being overzealous).

That's why I'm applying for the Thai Elite 500KThB option next week.

• Like 1

As a current Non-Immigrant B holder, my guess is that they're going to start denying entry to Non-Immigrant B holders who don't have a Thai work permit (I seriously doubt a Thai Immigration officer has ever been reprimanded for being overzealous).

That's why I'm applying for the Thai Elite 500KThB option next week.

what are you writing? you dont need a work permit to make bussiness in thailand, if you own a bussiness or you conduct bussiness than you only need a Non B,, only if you work for a company in Thailand, get paid by a company in thailand for work done in thailand, you need a work permit, 

and if you have the elite card, you brake the law, because then you are not on a bussiness Visa and then can deport you and black list, 

Elite card is a big scam you still need to apply for a Non O visa at thai embassy with the elite card, and with non O you are not allowed to do anything than stay in thailand, for sure no work or bussiness

0P, you should've come out initially and cited that this was a US tax law question. I suggest you consult your US tax lawyer. As a Canadian, yes, travel visas and related expenses can be written off if I was, say, investing in Thailand as part of the normal course of my business.

PS - recruitment could be considered as working in Thai.

My understanding was that the Thai Elite card specifically excluded working in Thailand. Perhaps that has changed or I am mistaken.

My experience is that none of my visa (non imm cool.png or work permit expenses can be deducted from the business. I have to take the money out in payroll, taxed at payroll rates, and pay for those on my own. Visa runs (the three month variety) were also excluded.

My experience with Thai tax authorities though, leads me to believe that every tax center applies the rules differently. For example, when we were in Sai Mai tax district, I could receive and entertain customers from the US on company expense. In Wang Thong Lang however, not only are those not company expenses but we cannot advertise, market or otherwise claim expenses such as R&D for growing the company. We also cannot claim warranty expenses incurred on our products in Wang Thong Lang. 

So, as with all things Thailand, I would check with the local tax authority first. That also makes the point that the address in Thailand you use to set up a business is of critical importance as it determines your tax district. Hoping to not be too obvious but I would avoid Wang Thong Lang if at all possible.....

Edited..... Sorry, reread the OP. This is a US tax question. Very doubtful it could be a business expense in the US as it is not a business expense. The US tax code is so convoluted I would add it in and let them throw it out. 

Edited by xbusman

and if you have the elite card, you brake the law, because then you are not on a bussiness Visa and then can deport you and black list, 

I'm under 50 years old, and I travel to Thailand both for business and for tourism.

It's perfectly acceptable to Thai Immigration to hold both a Non-Immigrant B and a PE visa at the same time; this is what I plan to do.

When I visit Thailand for business meetings, I will use the Non-Immigrant B visa.  When I visit Thailand purely for tourism, I will use the PE visa.