Immediate 'Retirement Extension' to Non O (based on income) - possible?

I've been reading up a lot about various options to get a retirement extension and I've only seen one or two vague references to this despite searching.

Does anyone know if it's possible to enter Thailand on a Non Imm O and get the Retirement Extension pretty much immediately IF you are going to use the 'proof of income' letter from the UK Embassy in BKK?

I know generally you have to wait until the last 30 days of your non-O to get the extension but I THINK this is only because your money in the bank needs to 'season' for 60 days in order to meet the financial criteria.  So presumably, if I can meet the finance criteria from day 1 (e.g. I already have the letter), I would able to get the Retirement Extension there and then.

Main reason I ask is that I will still need to come back to Malaysia often so if I can get the extension early it will save me having to apply for two multiple re-entry permits (e.g. one for the Non O then once again for the Retirement Extension).

Some will now do it as early as 45 days before your current permission to stay ends, but unless there is a real need to do so they will not do it sooner and certainly not after only a few weeks in Thailand.

Frequent travel and wanting to safe on a re-entry permit is not going to do it.

I think that some people have entered on a Tourist Visa and then done both the conversion to a non-Imm O and the retirement extension at one visit to Jomtien Immigrations.

Don't know if you have to wait until the last 30 days of the Tourist Visa and, as always, it depends on which office you use since I think there are very few that will do the conversion at all.

Thanks.

I'll try my luck.  Just remembered I have a Thai friend whose buddy is Chief I/O at Phuket Immigration.  I might ask there as I will have to visit Phuket soon.  If they can / will do it.

If not it will be Hat Yai, I'll also likely ask there before I go to Phuket once I've got my O.  If not I'll just get a multi re-entry attached to the O and get the Ret Ext  when I go back in during the last 30 days.  I'll sure check that HY does the extensions but I'm told they do.

You cannot pick the immigration you use. You have to use the office where you live,

All immigration offices can do extension of stay based upon retirement.

For a conversion from an exempt or tourist visa entry there are only a few that can do it.

I think that some people have entered on a Tourist Visa and then done both the conversion to a non-Imm O and the retirement extension at one visit to Jomtien Immigrations.

Don't know if you have to wait until the last 30 days of the Tourist Visa and, as always, it depends on which office you use since I think there are very few that will do the conversion at all.

I did exactly what is mentioned in this quote.  Arrived on multiple entry tourist visa, one week later went to Jomtien immigration and applied for Non-O and retirement extension to the Non-O all at the same time.  Two sets of document copies and two applications given to the same immigration officer.  If you have income letter and resident documentation it was very quick and easy.  Once the retirement extension is stamped into the passport you can then apply for a multiple re-entry stamp which I was able to do on the same day.

• Like 1

Ah OK.  Sounds like it might be a good back up plan.  I'll have an O already so I'll just need the conversion.

I'll try and get the 'instant' conversion at HY first, seeing as I need to go there often, failing that I'll consider Phuket, if they will do it, as I do NEED to go there.  Jomtien would likely be a last resort as I don't need to go there but things might change if a buddy of mine flies in from Oz.

You cannot pick the immigration you use. You have to use the office where you live,

For a conversion from an exempt or tourist visa entry there are only a few that can do it.

Precisely.  The OP doesn't mention establishing a residence in any one province, so I am not at all certain that he will be met with favor at any Immigration office.

Precisely.  The OP doesn't mention establishing a residence in any one province, so I am not at all certain that he will be met with favor at any Immigration office.

That can be as simple as having a rental receipt. Nothing is stated in the requirements by the Immigration regulation. So each office may have different standards, none of which is probably difficult to meet.  

Ah OK.  Sounds like it might be a good back up plan.  I'll have an O already so I'll just need the conversion.

I'll try and get the 'instant' conversion at HY first, seeing as I need to go there often, failing that I'll consider Phuket, if they will do it, as I do NEED to go there.  Jomtien would likely be a last resort as I don't need to go there but things might change if a buddy of mine flies in from Oz.

If you already have a non-o visa entry you cannot do a conversion. You can only apply for an extension of stay.

If you need to travel during your 90 day entry you can get a re-entry permit, go out and apply for the extension as soon as you return.

If you already have a non-o visa entry you cannot do a conversion. You can only apply for an extension of stay.

If you need to travel during your 90 day entry you can get a re-entry permit, go out and apply for the extension as soon as you return.

Conversion in this case was a poor choice of word, in the speed of typing.  I did however correctly refer to it as an extension in the first post on this thread so I would have thought it was clear what I was talking about and that I did in fact mean, Retirement Extension.

@Wayward Wind.  In another thread I do mention the intent, for now, to reside in Hat Yai.  However, I am aware of others who have O/A or Retirement Extensions who have used offices in other areas as they have moved around in Thailand, with little more than a short term rental receipt from a property agent. Without knowing the facts it's hard to comment who would be met with favour or not at an Immigration Office.  I plan very little based on the speculation of others.

For me the retirement visa / extension is a safeguard based on what seems to be a lack of standardisation about the O/I waiver run crackdown and interpretation of the rules by I/Os.  

My main residence is in Penang (Malaysia) and that will not change.  I do wish to rent in Hat Yai also.  I will likely use the place for 1-3 weeks per month and one would expect that I wouldn't be the target of the clampdown.  I'm a very frequent visitor, simple as that, because living in Penang allows to me to be (2 hour drive).  But is does seem that there is some confusion amongst I/Os from some of the posts here and elsewhere with the numbers of waivers in a passport being looked at, as well as whether they are O/I.  So, until things become standardised I might well opt for the a Retirement Extension, at least for 12 months, despite possible not needing it.  That said, having it will allow me to stop in Thailand for longer than 30 days as, if and when I wish, without having to plan for it or apply for other visas/extensions or whatever.

Edited by Pick of Penang

Conversion in this case was a poor choice of word, in the speed of typing.  I did however correctly refer to it as an extension in the first post on this thread so I would have thought it was clear what I was talking about and that I did in fact mean, Retirement Extension.

<snip>

You used conversion twice in your post and one of them was called an instant conversion. There is no instant extension you have to wait until you only have 45 or 30 days on your entry.