Told at the airport this will be my last visit on a 30 day visa to Thailand

I have been advised to stay on a retirement visa even though I am married here. This was advise from a lawyer.

Tell me if there are other opinions on this

Hi maoro2013, I got same advise even from IMO at Hua Hin, first of all if you can afford the 800K or can show 65K monthly income from aboard, and there isn't any questions, like photos of both of you in front of house on vacations photos from marriage party etc.

Another reason from lawyer was if in the case that your wife pass away before you, you would't having any problems staying in Thailand.

Of coarse, you have to be over 50 to get this option.

Have a nice day

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why not just declare you are a tourist when you arrive. Many people legitimately come here many times a year for tourism/beaches etc.

This reminds me of questions you get asked when you cross the Mexican border into the US. You just need to tell them what they want to hear on the "it's impossible to follow up" questions. And be clear, concise and no "ummms" or long thinking. Have your answers ready.

Example:

Why are you here? Tourism

Where you go? Krabi

Why you come to Thailand so much? To relax on my time off.

If you tell US immigration officials the truth, you get stopped all the time. I have tried it. I know these are not US immigration officials, but I am sure the same theory applies.

This does not mean lie about things that can obviously be proved false. Don't lie about that stuff. But almost all the questions, if yo uwill notice, are unverifiable.

I got all this information on how to deal with border officials from people that cross borders all the time and know how to do it, and they know telling the truth leads to unnecessary hassles for all. And I know first hand from my experiences before and after it works. But keep telling them the truth if you want, it is only going to cause problems though. Think about it like this, if a border officer asks you where you are going, and you tell him the city that has the worst crime and drug problems in the nation, that is just stupid. Just say "San Diego" or whatever city you want and you will be fine with no problems. This information that is not really verifiable is fine to say what you want. Just have your answers planned out to major questions "where you going" "why you here" etc.

Edited by isawasnake

Simple solution !!!

Get a single entry tourist visa before you come again

Problem solved ?

These people fly from oil rig to airport to bangkok,,

Which oil rigs do you know with a Thai consulate on them ??

Do they all do ? Or are there some who fly from oil rig to HOME ?

KS

if you don't contribute they don't want you here, sitting in a bar all day doesn't count, get a proper visa it ain't that difficult...

Sitting in a bar all day drinking (not something I do everyday) but arnt these people spending money and helping the economy grow ?

Why doesn't it count ? I've seen people spending thousands a day enjoying themselves. They spend far more than mum and dad sitting on the beach all day long.

Maybe you don't like to see people enjoying themselves ?

Because, and I just know you all won't like this, but the real reason for these draconian new rules is that they want to rid thailand of it's well deserved reputation as the sex tourist capital of the world, and in true Thai style, instead of enforcing the prostitution laws, they are targetting the end user. After all, some years back they stated that 'if the sex tourists didn't come here, there would be no prostitution'. And you all can jump up and down as much as you like but anyone who's been here for any length of time knows this is typical Thai problem solving - blame the farang.

So to all those bleating about 'proper visas' and condemning as 'undesirable' those who are unable, under the current rules, to obtain one, it is the likes of those of you filling the beer bars at Cowboy/Patpong/Patong/Walking street who have actually made things difficult for everyone else in this catch all policy. Well done.dry.png

• Like 1

Simple solution !!!

Get a single entry tourist visa before you come again

Problem solved ?

These people fly from oil rig to airport to bangkok,,

Which oil rigs do you know with a Thai consulate on them ??

Do they all do ? Or are there some who fly from oil rig to HOME ?

KS

Which of them has an international level airstrip / airport connection at their home ?? ;)

if you don't contribute they don't want you here, sitting in a bar all day doesn't count, get a proper visa it ain't that difficult...

Sitting in a bar all day drinking (not something I do everyday) but arnt these people spending money and helping the economy grow ?

Why doesn't it count ? I've seen people spending thousands a day enjoying themselves. They spend far more than mum and dad sitting on the beach all day long.

Because, and I just know you all won't like this, but the real reason for these draconian new rules is that they want to rid thailand of it's well deserved reputation as the sex tourist capital of the world, and in true Thai style, instead of enforcing the prostitution laws, they are targetting the end user. After all, some years back they stated that 'if the sex tourists didn't come here, there would be no prostitution'. And you all can jump up and down as much as you like but anyone who's been here for any length of time knows this is typical Thai problem solving - blame the farang.

So to all those bleating about 'proper visas' and condemning as 'undesirable' those who are unable, under the current rules, to obtain one, it is the likes of those of you filling the beer bars at Cowboy/Patpong/Patong/Walking street who have actually made things difficult for everyone else in this catch all policy. Well done.dry.png

Ahhh yeas.. it must be at least an hour since we have had one of those "you"s ascribing everyone to be a sex pest..

I think this has far more to do with the many many people working in Thailand illegally, online and otherwise.. as per direct statements from the immigration chiefs saying exactly that !!

If you bring foreign currency into the country,that is equivalent to an export and it adds to the GDP. That is good for Thailand. If you take Thai money out of the country that is an import and it subtracts from the GDP.

The thing of it is. Are you adding by bringing your money here or are you subtracting by taking Thai money out? At any rate they want you to have the correct Visa for your activities while in the country. In your particular case it seems that you are an export which Thailand should delight in. Try another Immigration officer or another Immigration Office.

Ahhh yeas.. it must be at least an hour since we have had one of those "you"s ascribing everyone to be a sex pest..

I think this has far more to do with the many many people working in Thailand illegally, online and otherwise.. as per direct statements from the immigration chiefs saying exactly that !!

Exactly where in my post did I personally accuse anyone of being a er, 'sexpest'? I'm stating what anyone who's knowledge of how things actually work here (and your defensive kneejerk response suggest you don't, no matter how many years under your belt). And your silly and naive 'I think this has far more to do with the many many people working in Thailand illegally, online and otherwise.. as per direct statements from the immigration chiefs saying exactly that !!' Proves it. Get back to your Chang smile.png

You have sex on the brain! A "sex tourist" is still a tourist and if he's just here for 30 days of sex once a year he will have no problem getting visa exempt entry!

And, for your information, the prostitution laws are regularly enforced (and always have been) in Pattaya, Bangkok and elsewhere. Bars, gogos are raided for not following the laws, and streetwalkers are regularly rounded up and fined.

LivinLOS, on 01 Aug 2014 - 07:41, said:

Everyones fixating on the OP is married part.. But the issue is not the fact this oil guy is married.. Its all the other unmarried ones, who purely come here for their downtime.

They are not abusing the 30 day system, they are using it as they have been told to do, and are high spending regular repeat visitors.

The OP started this threat, so any reference to non married is irrelevant. You could, of course, start your own thread

• Like 1

SureNDT, on 01 Aug 2014 - 10:49, said:
IsaanAndy, on 01 Aug 2014 - 10:43, said:

IMHO the OP is not a tourist, is he? As he admits to coming to live with his TGF for a month 5 times a year, so I guess you can't be a tourist if you aren't going about doing tourist activities so technically Thai Imm are right, although I do sympathize with the OP. As he himself states he needs to get the right entry visa.

Spending money and relaxing in a foreign country when you are off work is the very definition of tourism.

Tourism Def: the activity or practice of touring, especially for pleasure. This is not the same as coming to see your wife.

Well done indeed... I have not been in hooker bar for many a long month. really not my bag ( but thanks for the pigeon hole)

You don't go to normal bars ? Robin Hood, The Dubliner, Royal Oak to name but a few.

Full of mainly westeners having a good time and supping up a few pints.

Not sure who has the worst morals here.

Me for thinking its ok to go down the pub for a few beers,

Or you who thinks that everyone who goes down the pub is a titie chasing scum bag.

• Like 2

spidermike007, on 01 Aug 2014 - 12:40, said:

The military government seems to be designing policy without any regard for the financial impact it has on the local economy, nor on tourism. And it will have an impact. There are just too many choices guys like this have, when it comes to where he wants to spend his hard earned money. This is the kind of tourist Thailand wants to have here. He is spending good money, and creating problems for nobody. He leaves after 30 days, goes out and earns a lot more money, then comes back.The level of ignorance some of these immigration officers are conveying, is completely without regard to the well being of their country. Nothing wrong with strong immigration policy. There are a lot of undesirables here, and nothing wrong with the government trying to root them out. But, this kind of policy is simply wrong headed. It needs to be well considered, and it needs to be done in such a way that it does not cause great inconvenience to the kinds of tourists the country wants, and needs to have.

As I see it, the junta and immigration are changing the "norm" by using knee jerk thinking...the problem is, they are not trained/taught to think of any repercussions of the changes and when you have a culture that will NOT say the thinking is wrong, all yes men, then things become ridiculous, followed by patch up after patch up....bit like Microsoft products.

The immigration officer is correct and this guy should be on a multi entry marriage visa assuming he is legally married and not just been through some village ceremony.

The whines about rights and money spent will cut no ice with immigration elsewhere in the world so why has a westerner got the right to abuse the Thai system.

This is a big wake up call not least for some expats fro Europe who have had an easy time living in the black economy and under the radar.

Agree, if the OP did not mention having a wife or gf, perhaps the officer would have let him in. But because he told the truth, he needs to follow the law that immigration officers are trying to enforce.

If any foreigner visits US and Europe and did the same thing, immigration would question you as well, if you are married they will also give you a warning to get your spousal visa. Why can the law be applied in foreign first world countries but not here in the land of frowns?

A visa is a favor not a right, never think they need you. They allow you to stay in the country !

Follow the rules and get a proper visa or stay out of Thailand, easy.

Don't think the Thai economy will drop down because they deny people to get in.

KS

mike324, on 01 Aug 2014 - 17:58, said:
Jay Sata, on 01 Aug 2014 - 05:19, said:

The immigration officer is correct and this guy should be on a multi entry marriage visa assuming he is legally married and not just been through some village ceremony.

The whines about rights and money spent will cut no ice with immigration elsewhere in the world so why has a westerner got the right to abuse the Thai system.

This is a big wake up call not least for some expats fro Europe who have had an easy time living in the black economy and under the radar.

Agree, if the OP did not mention having a wife or gf, perhaps the officer would have let him in. But because he told the truth, he needs to follow the law that immigration officers are trying to enforce.

If any foreigner visits US and Europe and did the same thing, immigration would question you as well, if you are married they will also give you a warning to get your spousal visa. Why can the law be applied in foreign first world countries but not here in the land of frowns?

You miss a very important thing, this discussion is about Thailand, and mainly concerns the changes taking place, and how it affects people...it is NOT about US or European immigration...why is it people go off track.

So falkan what would the proper visa be? I am married but only by monks and no papers signed. Usually come in visa exempt as only here 26 days then back out 6 times a year. What visa applies? Visa on arrival? Cost of such visa?

Exactly where in my post did I personally accuse anyone of being a er, 'sexpest'? I'm stating what anyone who's knowledge of how things actually work here (and your defensive kneejerk response suggest you don't, no matter how many years under your belt). And your silly and naive 'I think this has far more to do with the many many people working in Thailand illegally, online and otherwise.. as per direct statements from the immigration chiefs saying exactly that !!' Proves it. Get back to your Chang smile.png

It is the likes of those of you filling the beer bars at Cowboy/Patpong/Patong/Walking street who have actually made things difficult for everyone else in this catch all policy. Well done

That bit !!!

So falkan what would the proper visa be? I am married but only by monks and no papers signed. Usually come in visa exempt as only here 26 days then back out 6 times a year. What visa applies? Visa on arrival? Cost of such visa?

You are not married.

There is no visa on arrival for Westerners. According to information here visa exempt entries will continue to be allowed, if that is not the case you will need a tourist visa with the related inconvenience.

• Like 1

Falkan & all the rest who are telling us to :"get the right visa, it's easy" etc don't know anything about our FIFO lifestyle & certainly can't suggest an appropriate visa. We all have differing priorities, I'll have a go at getting a retirement visa, others may try some kind of non-immigrant /investment/marriage visa arrangement but I think that there will be many who will end up taking R&R elswhere.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You are not married.

There is no visa on arrival for Westerners. According to information here visa exempt entries will continue to be allowed, if that is not the case you will need a tourist visa with the related inconvenience.

Indeed, technically "Callaway" is not really legally married under Thai law and living de-facto which in Thai makes difficult to prove that your living in a harmonious relationship.

Edited by MK1

where does the O&G actually stay when they are working? i mean, they fly out of thailand, to where? another country or rig somewhere? maybe a stupid question, but i know nothing about O&G, so was just wondering, if they have an exit stamp from thailand, where do they fly to?

where does the O&G actually stay when they are working? i mean, they fly out of thailand, to where? another country or rig somewhere? maybe a stupid question, but i know nothing about O&G, so was just wondering, if they have an exit stamp from thailand, where do they fly to?

You fly to an airport close to the rig. (maybe two or three stop overs) Then fly out to the rig by chopper. I have a 2/6/8 hours in a hotel on the way in and out depending on chopper times. I work offshore in Kazakhstan

seems like you don't qualify to stay here, get your papyrus in correct order or move on..