Thai Police to restore confidence in train travel

webfact

Police to restore confidence in train travel
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A new initiative, launched in tandem by the Crime Suppression Division (CSD) and the Railway Police Division, sets out to prevent crimes on trains and to restore public confidence in rail travel.

The move comes in the wake of the tragic rape and murder of a 13-year-old passenger by a train employee on a service between Surat Thani and Bangkok.

The project, dubbed "Police in Train", will see 10 teams, each with two commando policemen, dispatched to provide security on trains, aid passengers and crack down on the possession of illegal items, said the chief of CSD's Special Operation Subdivision, Pol Lt-Colonel Torsak Sukwimon.

The initiative will be launched on a northern route such as the Bangkok-to-Chiang Mai special express train, which is overnight and long-distance with few stops and therefore more prone to crime than regular rail services.

If the operation receives positive feedback it may be expanded to other routes.

Passenger Chompassorn Cheunpakdi said that although the recent rape-murder case shook her, she still needed to use the train and believed it was a form of transport that was safer than other means.

She said an increased police presence on the trains would make her feel ever safer, and she supported the launch of the new initiative.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Police-to-restore-confidence-in-train-travel-30239972.html

[thenation]2014-08-01[/thenation]

Gosh, taking a train ride in Thailand is beginning to sound like one of those old cold war spy movies with uniformed police and plain cloths secret police moving among the passengers to catch some spy.

• Like 2

Police investigators so far have failed to explain the absence of scheduled Railway Police on the "rape-murder-train". It is now fair to say that this piece of investigation has been swept under the rug.

Now, as to Thai Police restoring confidence in anything...well, they can't. The Thai public knows very well what the Thai Police is all about and the Thai Police giving itself a mandate to restore confidence is absurd.

On a side note, I do like how in this article it only says "Thai Police" and not "Royal Thai Police".

• Like 2

Travelling by train in Thailand is absolutely fabulous! ( only a fool uses the roads ) I understand the extra security on Trains now due to a young girl being raped.But why not put security on all Buses,Boats,ferries & Taxis too!???? why just the trains?

• Like 1

Travelling by train in Thailand is absolutely fabulous! ( only a fool uses the roads ) I understand the extra security on Trains now due to a young girl being raped.But why not put security on all Buses,Boats,ferries & Taxis too!???? why just the trains?

SRT = State Railway of Thailand, it is a government enterprise, not private business.

• Like 1

A serios matter that is good the police are getting involved. In Canada CP Rail have their own Police that have similar powers that regular police do.

But are trained with the rail in mind

Wonder if this would work here but then its better to just keep it under the general police since that may be rocket science for them.

Now they just need to figure a way to keep them on tracks!

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Actually they have been replacing the wooden sleepers  with concrete ones, and I must say, where they have been replaced, the ride is much smoother and the train actually runs faster.

Surprised the beegeebers out of me, when the night train from Nong Khai rolled in Hualumpong station ON TIME, if not a few minutes early.  In over 10 years of taking that train both ways, it is the first time I have ever seen it arrive on time.  The worst was a trip to Nong Khai that arrived over 6 hours late.  But at least it did arrive, as opposed to another Bangkok bound train that never arrived into Bangkok.  tongue.png

The restaurant car better stock extra booze. 

They no longer sell alcohol on the train and youre not allowed to bring your own.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

LONG overdue, in my opinion.  Now if they will enforce no smoking.

Yes I totally agree "enforce no smoking " on trains ! ( nothing worse than the smell of "fags & booze") don't you just hate it...?

Sent from my Lenovo S920_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 1

Yes I totally agree "enforce no smoking " on trains ! ( nothing worse than the smell of "fags & booze") don't you just hate it...?

Sent from my Lenovo S920_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You seem to have a problem here. You don't like smokers or alcohol or people that use the roads. Well, woop dee doo.

I don't smoke, I enjoy an occasional drink and have to drive a car.  If people want to spend their money on cigarettes or booze, that, IMHO, is up to them,. as long as they don't infringe on my space, I could not care less.

Where I live, there are no trains so what is the option?  I have used the railway here many times and usually found it a tiring but not unenjoyable experience of getting from A to Z.

Perhaps you need to realize that the SRT does not cover Thailand quite as comprehensively say as the Indian Railways cover India.

But, I am sure all the teetotal, non-smoking, car/truck owners on TVF will agree with you.

• Like 2

Gosh, taking a train ride in Thailand is beginning to sound like one of those old cold war spy movies with uniformed police and plain cloths secret police moving among the passengers to catch some spy.

Doing anything in Thailand is getting like this not just on the trains.

I'm about to take a train to my local 7/11. Do I need to take my passport in case the commandos ask questions? tongue.png

Just to ease your fears and get you up to speed.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747736-no-need-to-worry-says-bangkok-immigration-commander/

"Deputy Commander Voravat confirmed that foreign tourists and expats do not need to carry their passports with them at all times."

No worries, they are just going to make faster trains. Those should stay on the tracks because... well... because they are faster.

• Like 1

No worries, they are just going to make faster trains. Those should stay on the tracks because... well... because they are faster.

Well obviously faster trains will have less journey time in which to fall off!!

The restaurant car better stock extra booze. 

They no longer sell alcohol on the train and youre not allowed to bring your own.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

LONG overdue, in my opinion.  Now if they will enforce no smoking.

Wow, Whizz Bang. I gather that you must not like to drink even the occasional beer, but where does this "long overdue" on banning a minor pleasure of others come from? I have never been an alcohol abuser, but I've enjoyed train travel in Thailand for nearly 50 years, and for me having a couple of beers with or around dinner on the overnight train is one of my favorite experiences in local travel. I cannot imagine how this can possibly hurt anyone, nor any excuse for banning it in a country not dominated by intolerance and religious fanaticism. This is one of the stupidest policies I've ever seen implemented in Thailand, and I've seen a few dumb ones over the years. "Long overdue," wow. Where do you get that?

Police investigators so far have failed to explain the absence of scheduled Railway Police on the "rape-murder-train". It is now fair to say that this piece of investigation has been swept under the rug.

Now, as to Thai Police restoring confidence in anything...well, they can't. The Thai public knows very well what the Thai Police is all about and the Thai Police giving itself a mandate to restore confidence is absurd.

On a side note, I do like how in this article it only says "Thai Police" and not "Royal Thai Police".

Yes the Royal Thai Police did not explain it. But this happened in a time the RTP did not know where them self were. Before they were obligated to do some honest work for their salaries. The army had to come in and tell the rTP what to do. I have noticed that the police are not doing any speed-controls anymore. Probably because the ticket money has to go to the government, and if the brave police officers put the money in their pocket they are busted. Now I have installed a video camera in my car to record them.

Weighed down with their embezzled millions in gold they will be used as sleepers and ballast,or perhaps its just a cycnical lie,though surely no untruths could happen in a Buddhist country.Please don't point out hypocrisy here it may be dangerous to your health