Snowden's asylum status expires

webfact

Snowden's temporary asylum status expires in Russia

MOSCOW: -- Fugitive US whistleblower Edward Snowden's year-long leave to stay in Russia has expired without confirmation that it will be extended.

His lawyer said he could stay in the country while his application for an extension was being processed.

The man who exposed US intelligence practices to the world's media won leave to remain in Moscow a year ago.

Little is known about his activities in Russia - where he is living and whether he is working.

However, he caused a sensation in April when he appeared in a recorded message on President Vladimir Putin's annual televised question-and-answer session to ask if Russia spied on its citizens.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28586840

[bbc]2014-08-01[/bbc]

Snowden has performed his his historic patriotiic duty. How Americans and the rest of the world respond to the revealed knowledge of governmental transgression into the personal and private lives of everyone remains an open question. He has recently expressed the opinion that he is aware and accepts that he may well spend his life locked up.
  • Like 1

Snowden has performed his his historic patriotiic duty. How Americans and the rest of the world respond to the revealed knowledge of governmental transgression into the personal and private lives of everyone remains an open question. He has recently expressed the opinion that he is aware and accepts that he may well spend his life locked up.

So what was the big revelation?  America is spying on Americans and Foreigners.  Hate to break it to you guys....old news.   Snowden is going to jail for stupidity...actually.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hope he dies soon. Evil trator made the world a far more dangerous place

People with your ignorance and attitude are the ones who should cease to exists on this planet....you are the danger not the "revealer of truth"

Your mindset is dangerous. I hope you get a passport one day and see the real world

• Like 1

The cannery will have to sing for his supper...

Tell us more... or we will send you back must be a lot more effective than any truth serum.

You wrongly assume that Russia has even a few items It does not already know about.  Surely it has several of its own people working in jobs like Snowden.  It is supremely naïve to think Snowden has some deep secrets so far unknown to governments like Russia, Israel, and Red China.  The only secrets are those THE PEOPLE do not know about.

BTW, no one has been able to cite ONE field agent/spy who has been compromised by just Snowden's files.

• Like 1

And chance of backing up such a wild statement? How is he a trator and how is the world now a more dangerous place?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

People with your ignorance and attitude are the ones who should cease to exists on this planet....you are the danger not the "revealer of truth"

I cannot agree with either of you wishing for death. That said, as I may have stated previously, I do not think Snowden should be lauded. It is a dangerous thing to say, without reservation, that each individual should be free to expose security matters. On the other hand, it is also a most dangerous thing to say that an individual should not answer to conscience and denounce government overstepping on individual freedoms without due process or regard. Thus, in the end, Snowden should not be placed as a hero, nor should he be penalized for stepping forth denouncing wrongdoing. He will pay the historical penalty of questionable notoriety with decades of debate following his name.
  • Like 1

Hopefully he will be given a passport by Russia and he gets shipped off to Latin America where he wants to be. The guy didn't plan his moves very well at all. If I were him, I would have sold the info to Russia and would have been all set up where I wanted before I dumped the data. Noble idea, not very well executed.

The cannery will have to sing for his supper...

Tell us more... or we will send you back must be a lot more effective than any truth serum.

You wrongly assume that Russia has even a few items It does not already know about.  Surely it has several of its own people working in jobs like Snowden.  It is supremely naïve to think Snowden has some deep secrets so far unknown to governments like Russia, Israel, and Red China.  The only secrets are those THE PEOPLE do not know about.

BTW, no one has been able to cite ONE field agent/spy who has been compromised by just Snowden's files.

They are calling it the biggest breach in history. Bigger then wikileaks but yeah, there is more wikileaks stuff out there then Snowden stuff it seems.