Transformation of Pattaya Beach hard to miss

Rimmer

Transformation of Pattaya Beach hard to miss

n13look-4.jpg

PATTAYA:--It has come in fits and starts, with the occasional reversal, but the transformation of Pattaya Beach Road has become hard to miss.

From the removal of the broken fountain at Central Road to the repaving of the beachfront sidewalk to the widening of the road itself, Pattaya Beach now has a cleaner, more open look, albeit one on which the sun beats down much more intensely than just three years ago.

Starting at the north-end Dusit Curve, Beach Road has become narrower, but efforts to combat illegal parking have mitigated the impact on traffic. Under orders from regional police commanders to tow, lock wheels, arrest and jail offenders, but be polite while doing it, traffic cops are making sure cars and buses keep moving.

Once on the thoroughfare, three lanes of traffic now can navigate down the beach, with a much-wider and smoother footpath welcoming people both on foot or bicycle.

Shade, unfortunately, is a premium. Anyone who hasn’t visited the city in a couple years will be shocked at how bright and hot the footpath has become with the mass removal of trees. But city officials are slowly replanting palm trees, but strategically to maintain a view of the water.

A plan to move and rezone beach umbrellas to preserve that view also is in the works.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/transformation-of-pattaya-beach-hard-to-miss-39953#sthash.R89Vn3vt.dpuf

[pattayamail]2014-08-01[/pattayamail]

Utter BS to qualify this clear-cutting as a success.

No shadow, nearly no space to sit. Dread boring palm desert.

They have cut age old big trees.

A crime in other countries.

My idea: the whole thing was instructed by the beach deck chair gang to get rid of these stingy farangs sitting in the shadow for free tongue.png

either that or too much money was syphoned off before the seats went in. seats were included in the plans and so I guess they were budgeted for as well

My idea: the whole thing was instructed by the beach deck chair gang to get rid of these stingy farangs sitting in the shadow for free tongue.png

Agreed, it is a mess.  The old-growth trees are missed.  Some of the smaller ones remain and are at providing a bit of shade, but the mafia thugs, prostitutes and skid-row drunks typically sit underneath them.  People continue to insist that the footpath is "much wider."  But they removed the equivalent of the width of one traffic lane from the old footpath (do the math).   In most places the footpath is  narrower and is causing problems when the Cith has an event that requires tents to be placed on the footpath.  In the past, there was no need to place the tents in the road because there was enough space for two tents to be placed on the footpath across from each other, with a space in between them for pedistrians to walk on.   Now, with a narrower footpath (in certain places), they are forced to place many tents in the road, causing traffic problems.  It is too bad that the old-growth trees were cut down.  That was the main mistake.  The other was removing places to sit.

• Like 2

Its just part of the larger transformation and facilitation of Pattaya into a second string resort / tour destination for  Asians. And connected to the current

fear and loathing about tour buses' article in this section.

Because the only advantage in this project is for the touring business. And also for the thousands of Thais  to have a queue lane for Central Festival every weekend .

"Its the weekend, lets go to the mall in Pattaya" !

Edited by morrobay

Yep spot on my friend i know several of the so called stingy brigade who daily travel to the beach, to whilst away the time,on returning home they use the facilty of the pool toilet/shower as guess what they have no running water or electric connected within their room.

I always giggle to myself when i wake and see that it raining heavily and wonder what these types do for the day, possibly they spend the day within the confines of the like of BigC in the seated area designed for eating purposes.only.

The BR have lost it's charm for me.  Pattaya had the chance to protect green areas in the city. It's also the park at Bali Hai Pier which got removed for the automatic parking building. It's a shame.

The segment between the Southern end of the Beach walk and Walking st has also been turned into a parking lot.

And then from there to Walking st one has to walk the gauntlet of moto taxi jerks. The charm is long gone

Edited by morrobay

The BR have lost it's charm for me.  Pattaya had the chance to protect green areas in the city. It's also the park at Bali Hai Pier which got removed for the automatic parking building. It's a shame.

The segment between the Southern end of the Beach walk and Walking st has also been turned into a parking lot.

And then from there to Walking st one has to walk the gauntlet of moto taxi jerks. The charm is long gone

pretty sure that was a parking lot before the change as well, but the balcony there is an improvement, at least its something to lean on now that the seats have gone

Some City Hall staff thought it would be a good idea to chop down all those beautiful old trees, pave over the gardens and rent the area to vendors. (framed as traffic improvement to disguise their unscrupulous plan, they took 400 million baht from the budget)

They treat the public land like personal property to stuff their greedy little pockets.

The beach, the footpaths, parking areas all leased out. The pathway came next. Chop, chop,  chop, then set up 1,000 unsightly vendor tents  at 20,000Bt per week, turning a scenic seashore into a slum shanty town.

Disgusting.

Edited by Rimmer
Baiting

pretty sure that was a parking lot before the change as well, but the balcony there is an improvement, at least its something to lean on now that the seats have gone

Right, but it was an optional area, besides parking there were times when it was filled with planters and flowers. Actually the wood plank boardwalk is an improvement.

If only it were the total lengh from Pattaya Nua/ Dusit curve  to Walking st.. Then I would let them have their new concrete beach walk.   

Edited by morrobay

Right, but it was an optional area, besides parking there were times when it was filled with planters and flowers. Actually the wood plank boardwalk is an improvement.

If only it were the total lengh from Pattaya Nua/ Dusit curve  to Walking st.. Then I would let them have their new concrete beach walk.   

I guess they will still put plants there at times, shame they dont leave them there. The balconies are good but I doubt they will last long, infact I doubt most of the path will last long. The next couple of rainy months should be interesting.

They have been doing a lot of surveying of the path the last couple of weeks. Not sure what thats about.

Not that we walked along the beach road very often ,but i can only say that it was lovely with all the trees ,now ,we never ever walk there ,just nowhere to sit and no shade ,just drive along there now.sad.png

Now that the beach road is a highway, it is not very pleasant driving along the beach either.