Can one get visa by adopting a child?

Should be possible, a non-imm o based on having a Thai child followed by extensions of stay for supporting a Thai child. Inter-country adoption however is difficult and often very expensive, not to mention actually needing to be a real parent for the kid, so this is just about the worst idea one could have. 

• Like 1

I don't think immigration will do an extension of stay based upon being the parent of an adopted Thai child.

They might cough and choke, but presented the correct paperwork of you being the legal father, how could they decline ?

There was also the urban legend about somebody being adopted by Thais as an adult. Impossible I think, but who knows what lengths people are willing to go just to stay in Thailand these days blink.png

• Like 1

Adoption means that one becomes the legal parent, so it would work. The hard part would be going through the adoption process and meeting all requirements and satisfying the officials that you are suitable to adopt a child. That would mean among others a stable home situation including work etc.

I know a Thai man who was adopted by his grandmother as an adult, but I doubt they would let a Thai adopt a non Thai as an adult. If you are that desperate to stay in the country join the monkhood, I think they get some sort of religious visa, then again that might curtail a lot of the activities that have attracted you to the kingdom.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you are that desperate to stay in the country join the monkhood

Uh-oh. Given what some monks have been up to lately, a few TVF'rs might pick up on your advise rolleyes.gif

I can almost see fake temples being erected already to serve as a loophole for visa runners.

Edited by DrTuner

I know a Thai man who was adopted by his grandmother as an adult, but I doubt they would let a Thai adopt a non Thai as an adult. If you are that desperate to stay in the country join the monkhood, I think they get some sort of religious visa, then again that might curtail a lot of the activities that have attracted you to the kingdom.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There was a thread were someone asked this question recently.

It won't work in the case of an adult, as an adult will not get Thai nationality through adoption and still needs his/her own reason to stay in Thailand.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I don't think immigration will do an extension of stay based upon being the parent of an adopted Thai child.

Bit of a cynical thing to do, just to get a visa.

I would think/hope that legally adopting a Thai child would not be that easy or quick. I certainly hope someone from Immigrations reads this thread so they will know what the latest gimmick is.  Sounds like a form of cynical human trafficking.

And if the adoptive parents decide to pack it in, will they turn in the child at the airport along with their boarding passes?

Not the same issue exactly, but equally disgusting: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747913-australian-couple-abandon-down-syndrome-baby-with-thai-surrogate-mother/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thaivisa24+%28Today%27s+best+Thaivisa+topics%29

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

I would think/hope that legally adopting a Thai child would not be that easy or quick.

It isn't. I know, I'm in the process of adopting my two stepdaughters. Got roadblocked by my own country's government at the moment, but before that I went to the adoption center in BKK and they gave me the checklist for Hague rules on intercountry adoption. It's a boatload of paperwork, interviews, etcetcetc.

Edited by DrTuner

Recent article of the OZ couple adopting a baby through surracy, the Mother had twins and they refused to adopt the sick boy, leaving him with the Mother. When there are so many kids awaiting adoption in these peoples home countries it always amazes me why they have the need to go to another continent to adopt.....although I suppose a black/oriental adopted kid alawys looks better in public or for conversation around the dining table.

Some of you people are way to cynical. I am sure there are many people acting as a defacto parent who have had no reason to make it legal, just as there are many who are village married and have not made it legal. Making the relationship legally recognized so as to be able to stay and continue that relationship without immigration hassles is not a deplorable thing to do.

What is cynical about adopting a child of the girlfriend/wife who has nothing to lose anyway? Many support them financially anyway so what is so bad about having some positive outcome for the donor, too? And if the child is very young, you have a secured visa situation for almost 20 years (which is often not so secure based on the marriage itself)

I did not mean adopting some unknown child just for the sake of resolving the visa situation (it seems I should have written the topic a little clearer). But as we all know, the usual situation is an older farang with quite younger thai GF with a Thai child so this is a pretty model situation when child based visa is a much safer (actually 100% safe for quite a long time, usually enough to reach the retirement age).

I would think/hope that legally adopting a Thai child would not be that easy or quick. I certainly hope someone from Immigrations reads this thread so they will know what the latest gimmick is.  Sounds like a form of cynical human trafficking.

And if the adoptive parents decide to pack it in, will they turn in the child at the airport along with their boarding passes?

Not the same issue exactly, but equally disgusting: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747913-australian-couple-abandon-down-syndrome-baby-with-thai-surrogate-mother/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thaivisa24+%28Today%27s+best+Thaivisa+topics%29

I hope the immi doesn't read this post for the exact opposite reasons.
What about the people who cannot have children but want to adopt? They will all be classed the same as the people who are trying to scam the country.
Hopefully this idiotic thread will go away soon

This is an interesting topic, not on the basis that anyone would consider adopting a child to secure a visa, but on the aspect of just what parental rights are imparted in the eyes of the law by an adoption.

Is adoption in one country recognized by another?

When the child comes of age, do parental rights change?

Is there any real legal benefit in adopting a step child?

Many foreigners married to and/or living with their Thai partners, do if fact, support their Thai families. Should they not be provided with the recognition, in the full legal sense, as the breadwinner and supporters of the family. Or, as in the case of many cynical forum members, are the foreigners relegated to the perceived role as a “cash machine”.

Your input concerning actual experiences with parental rights both implied and granted are solicited.

Have you had any experience with a Thai or foreign court system as the parent and/or supporter of a Thai national, and, how did the court rule on your role?

As the adoptive parent of a Thai adult, I would like to know if I do, in fact, have any recognized parental rights in the Thai courts.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

"Is adoption in one country recognized by another?"

It's a requirement in the Hague rules for international adoption and must be cleared prior to applying.

"When the child comes of age, do parental rights change?"

No. It's an irreversible process.

"Is there any real legal benefit in adopting a step child?"

For the step child, yes. Acquiring another nationality and passport is usually beneficial.

This is one place to start, the rules are clear : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hague_Adoption_Convention

Edited by DrTuner

To answer the OP: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=278318 . One of the documents named in 2.18 is "child adoption registration 

certificate". So extensions of permit to stay seem to be possible and I suppose the non-imm o visa as well, or it wouldn't make much sense (Then again .. TiT).