Prayuth's dilemma: PM or not?

Lite Beer

A problem holding two posts ?

YL was PM and Defence Minister at the same time,  well ok her way of handling pressure was never to actually do either job.

You talk to much better say nothing when know nothing

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hardly a problem.

He has given himself absolute power so no matter what post he gives himself he still has the final say.

Exactly, which is why I would make Yingluck PM and drop all cases against her.

Checkmate.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"against her" or on her ??

I think it would be against her and she can't win, but there is enough there that some would have a problem having a problem with it.

Ultimately, YL (i.e. Thaksin) would probably turn it down, but the Junta could then say they offered. However, if she does accept then she's part of it, but doesn't get anything. The issue, of course, would be the ministers, but things could be worked out.

For example, YL wanted 3 neutral witnesses on her behalf during the NACC's case against her for corruption. IMHO, one will be a minister in the upcoming government anyway.

Of course, this is never going to happen, but it is fun kicking around.

Hardly a problem.

He has given himself absolute power so no matter what post he gives himself he still has the final say.

Exactly, which is why I would make Yingluck PM and drop all cases against her.

Checkmate.

"against her" or on her ??

I think it would be against her and she can't win, but there is enough there that some would have a problem having a problem with it.

Ultimately, YL (i.e. Thaksin) would probably turn it down, but the Junta could then say they offered. However, if she does accept then she's part of it, but doesn't get anything. The issue, of course, would be the ministers, but things could be worked out.

For example, YL wanted 3 neutral witnesses on her behalf during the NACC's case against her for corruption. IMHO, one will be a minister in the upcoming government anyway.

My crazy sense of humour---------" cases" as in suit cases---"on her"    play on words.     originally it said " cases against her".........................all the cases she took to Paris is a better way of putting it.

[quote name="ginjag" post="8187637" timestamp="1406965015"][quote name="Old Man River" post="8187617" timestamp="1406964665"] [quote name="ginjag" post="8187424" timestamp="1406961997"] [quote name="Old Man River" post="8186824" timestamp="1406954090"] [quote name="Thailand" post="8185740" timestamp="1406937001"]Hardly a problem.

He has given himself absolute power so no matter what post he gives himself he still has the final say.[/quote]Exactly, which is why I would make Yingluck PM and drop all cases against her.

Checkmate.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand[/quote]
"against her" or on her ??[/quote]

[/quote]

My crazy sense of humour---------" cases" as in suit cases---"on her" play on words. originally it said " cases against her".........................all the cases she took to Paris is a better way of putting it.[/quote]

I will be prepared next time.

• Like 1

Maybe...the general populace could hold an election to choose who the next PM will be.   Just sayin'.

Who are the general populace now???   What parties are eligible,  what candidates are clean enough to vote for ???    under the present situation the courts are sorting out the right and the wrongdoers, many have fled the scene, many are in hiding, some have gone on visits?

Doesn't this tell you until reforms are carried out and phases 1-2-3 are in place nothing will be happening.

Unless you have a feeling that if Yingluck  was nominated she would get elected,  after all has been revealed ???     not a chance in ****

• Like 1

YL was PM and Defence Minister at the same time,  well ok her way of handling pressure was never to actually do either job.

and you are a Moderator ?

• Like 1

Maybe...the general populace could hold an election to choose who the next PM will be.   Just sayin'.

Who are the general populace now???   What parties are eligible,  what candidates are clean enough to vote for ???    under the present situation the courts are sorting out the right and the wrongdoers, many have fled the scene, many are in hiding, some have gone on visits?

Bush v. Gore (2000) 531 U.S. 98.   There was a dispute between two presidential candidates as to who had the most votes.   The opinion of the U.S. Supreme Court stated clearly that U.S. Courts do not get involved in political disputes.  

Who is eligible to run? Who is clean enough?  The Courts sorting out the right and the wrong doers?  That is not the job of the courts.   To use the courts in that manner threatens the underpinnings of democracy.   IF there is an allegation that a politician comitted a crime, that is a matter for the criminal courts to determine after a jury trial.  Otherwise, the U.S. courts make it a point not to get involved.  There have been former convicted criminals subsequently elected to office.  In a democracy, it is a decision of the majority of the voters that should be the only thing that matters.

Hardly a problem.

Yes an interesting observation. One can only be thankful that he is an honest leader seeking out the betterment of all Thais. Not just his pals or the ones who he can use to obtain more power.

Like or dislike the process it is still the best thing that could have happened to Thailand. Bound to be a few bumps on the road as not every one is willing to forgo the money they were receiving through Thaksin's corrupt policies.

But you cannot make an omelet with out breaking eggs.

Yes he will make some mistakes that is a byproduct of being human not corrupt.

Sit back and enjoy the show there is nothing you can do about it. Get a good supply of popcorn and your favorite drink as it is going to be over a year before this show ends and Thailand is once again free.

Fortunately for Thailand there will be no Thaksin 3. The serial has run it's course.wai.gif

• Like 1

Democracy is "governance by leaders whose authority is based on a limited mandate from a universal electorate that selects among genuine alternatives and has some rights to political participation and opposition." (Danziger )

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 1

and you are a Moderator ?

only a wannabegiggle.gif

• Like 1

It comes down to what the people want.

• In 2007 through a referendum it was overwhelmingly decided by the majority the constitution was wanted. That majority were ignored by a minority.
  • In 2013 in was overwhelmingly decided by the majority the amnesty was not wanted. The majority were ignored by a minority.
  • In February through the ballot box it was overwhelmingly decided by the majority that the PTP were not wanted. That majority were ignored by a minority.
  • In May it was overwhelmingly decided by the majority the PTP were not wanted. That majority were ignored by a minority.
  • In June it was overwhelmingly decided by the majority that they wanted General Preyuth as PM.
Just as General Themistocles was a savior of democracy in ancient Greece, General Preyuth is the Savior of Democracy in modern Thailand.

Don't ignore this majority General. Listen to the voice of the people that others refused to listen to. Take the job and be written about favorably in the history books as Themistocles was.

I think General Prayuth should take the job of PM while remaining head of NCPO however, he might face a lot of (unfounded) international criticism for having too much power and distancing Thailand even further from democracy. These are not his intentions at all but might well be misconstrued by the international community.

Ideally, if his performance warrants his continued popularity, he would most likely become PM in the next elected government.
  • Like 1

Bush v. Gore (2000) 531 U.S. 98.   There was a dispute between two presidential candidates as to who had the most votes.   The opinion of the U.S. Supreme Court stated clearly that U.S. Courts do not get involved in political disputes.  

Who is eligible to run? Who is clean enough?  The Courts sorting out the right and the wrong doers?  That is not the job of the courts.   To use the courts in that manner threatens the underpinnings of democracy.   IF there is an allegation that a politician comitted a crime, that is a matter for the criminal courts to determine after a jury trial.  Otherwise, the U.S. courts make it a point not to get involved.  There have been former convicted criminals subsequently elected to office.  In a democracy, it is a decision of the majority of the voters that should be the only thing that matters.

Give external examples as long as you like, but this is Thai style democracy.  the last government proved it.

Until you have complete stability elections are a no go.   There was not stability and Yingluck tried to push through an early one, it was not on.

We had 3 years of what the Thai in the street was democracy but being elected the PTP went and did opposite what it was sworn to do, hence the probs.

Democracy will start once stability is in place and the rif raf discarded and reforms put in place phase 1-2-3.  then elections.

You are another one that thinks an election solves all probs, 3 years ago we found that out and are suffering for it.

USA stays in the USA   up to them.  same as UK Cameron and that lot.  Emerging democracy here I call it.

Democracy is "governance by leaders whose authority is based on a limited mandate from a universal electorate that selects among genuine alternatives and has some rights to political participation and opposition." (Danziger )

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That is what Thailand will have when the NCPO gets the corrupt people out and in a place that they can never return from.

The dictatorship is dead . Hopefully never to return. If it does it will be many years before any one can build up the power Thaksin has in his Dictatorship.

• Like 1

And they will, hopefully sometime late next year, according to the junta.

and then everything can go back to normal

• Like 1

I tend to think that all the military officers that are likely to be taking up their new positions in the near future will be somewhat reluctant to concede their comfy new jobs.

Maybe...the general populace could hold an election to choose who the next PM will be. Just sayin'.

Who are the general populace now??? What parties are eligible, what candidates are clean enough to vote for ??? under the present situation the courts are sorting out the right and the wrongdoers, many have fled the scene, many are in hiding, some have gone on visits?

Bush v. Gore (2000) 531 U.S. 98. There was a dispute between two presidential candidates as to who had the most votes. The opinion of the U.S. Supreme Court stated clearly that U.S. Courts do not get involved in political disputes.

Who is eligible to run? Who is clean enough? The Courts sorting out the right and the wrong doers? That is not the job of the courts. To use the courts in that manner threatens the underpinnings of democracy. IF there is an allegation that a politician comitted a crime, that is a matter for the criminal courts to determine after a jury trial. Otherwise, the U.S. courts make it a point not to get involved. There have been former convicted criminals subsequently elected to office. In a democracy, it is a decision of the majority of the voters that should be the only thing that matters.

Only because you brought up the US as the example, in the US the majority of the voters does not decide who wins national elections.

I tend to think that all the military officers that are likely to be taking up their new positions in the near future will be somewhat reluctant to concede their comfy new jobs.

Would you call it comfy trying the best you can cleaning the dung left by PTP.whistling.gif

I don't think Thailand needs/wants a US styled "democracy" where whoever has the most money gets the POTUS job.

Prayuth seems to be cleaning out the money-based corruption - great results so far on Phuket and I await a stronger response to the expected "blowback" as the easy money dries up.

and then everything can go back to normal

Talk is cheap.

Describe what normal is to you so the rest of us can understand.wai.gif

Maybe...the general populace could hold an election to choose who the next PM will be. Just sayin'.

Who are the general populace now??? What parties are eligible, what candidates are clean enough to vote for ??? under the present situation the courts are sorting out the right and the wrongdoers, many have fled the scene, many are in hiding, some have gone on visits?

Bush v. Gore (2000) 531 U.S. 98. There was a dispute between two presidential candidates as to who had the most votes. The opinion of the U.S. Supreme Court stated clearly that U.S. Courts do not get involved in political disputes.

Who is eligible to run? Who is clean enough? The Courts sorting out the right and the wrong doers? That is not the job of the courts. To use the courts in that manner threatens the underpinnings of democracy. IF there is an allegation that a politician comitted a crime, that is a matter for the criminal courts to determine after a jury trial. Otherwise, the U.S. courts make it a point not to get involved. There have been former convicted criminals subsequently elected to office. In a democracy, it is a decision of the majority of the voters that should be the only thing that matters.

Only because you brought up the US as the example, in the US the majority of the voters does not decide who wins national elections.

You are quite correct.

One would think that  he would have had enough sense to look up the case he cited. It was the Supreme Court of the United States that installed Bush as presedent. There never was any doubt that Gore had more votes than him.

• Like 1