Holiday in Thailand could end for expats

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

No gambling allowed in Yhailand, but I bet, Bangkok will drop to number 3-5 next year.

Reason: all visa runners, who entry on tourist visas, up to 12 time a year, they will simply dissapear.

Next, actually a lot bigger problem:

When spread, and I will help (!), the new passport rule, will scare millions away. Yes millions!

Simply think you like to visit Thailand, maybe for the first time. And you get the information, you (and your whole family) can face 2 years in jail, not bringing your passport to the beach, shopping in Bangkok or in the late night party

I bet ;-)

If this law rules, forget about tourists! Maybe a drop 20-30%! 

Anyone of the junta reading this, think this over ;-)

What are you talking about? What new passport rules?

You really need to stay up to speed on this. Unless it has changed again in the last 24 hours in which case I'm the tw@t who should keep up................

You're correct - the Bangkok Deputy Commander did make a "clarification" that (at least in Bangkok) passports need NOT be carried 24/7.  BUT, what you're missing is that it's pretty easy for that little bit of 'good news' to get lost in the avalanche of alarms & warnings & cautions and rumors that have been filling the Thailand news niche since before the military takeover.  A huge number of travelers WILL (probably already have) come to the conclusion that it's probably easier to just stay away and go somewhere else where they don't have to have concerns about whether or not immigration is going to let them (and their families!) through, whether customs is going to be searching & taxing their stuff, whether gestapo are going to be demanding to see their passports & demanding money on every streetcorner, whether they have some report they have to file with immigration or the police in each new province they enter or everyplace they stay, foreigners are being forced out, etc. etc. etc. etc.   It all adds up, and there's been so much of it lately that I can easily imagine it having an effect.  Don't say it, I know - most of the above isn't quite true or particularly relevant even WRT true casual travelers.  That's not the point.  It's all founded in some new enforcement regime that actually IS taking place, and the average traveler who hears anything about it might easily get the impression that it's an unfriendly, anti-foreigner climate and something he simply doesn't want to get caught up in.

Whereas I do agree to a certain extent, how much of what has been reported on in the international press? Don't forget, we see a whole lot more 'raw' information that usually becomes speculated upon out of all reality on TV that rarely will ever make news in other countries. Not all families read TV before making travel decisions.

If the news and false statements were globally public, or the Thai embassies or consulates made available the current facts before issuing tourist visas, then yes, it could affect figures.

As for an anti-farang agenda from the Junta/immigration, IMHO, that is just false.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jpeg, on 03 Aug 2014 - 08:45, said:

Faz, on 03 Aug 2014 - 08:37, said:

terryp, on 02 Aug 2014 - 11:34, said:terryp, on 02 Aug 2014 - 11:34, said:

or retirement visas if they are over 50 years old and can prove they have adequate finances.

yeah try and get a non O visa in the UK now...without a STATE pensionblink.png ........not an easy route, you are now requested to apply for a NON O-A with police clearance certificates and in many cases a personal interview , so much for get the right visa they are easy

It's very easy to get a 90 day Non Imm O from any of the Consulates or the Thai Embassy in the UK. The only requirement is a valid passport and proof of funds, via a copy of your bank statement. On arrival in Thailand you can then apply for a 12 month extension based on Retirement (over 50) or Marriage provided you meet the fund requirements. 800,000bt for retirement or 400,000bt for marriage. The funding can be achieved by means of personal income, savings, or a combination of the two.

In a THAI bank account for two months. 

No funds are required to be in a Thai bank A/C when you apply for the 90 day Non Imm O.

Funding only needs to be in a Thai bank  if you aren't using the Pension Income method alone to apply for extensions. 

Personally I prefer to put 800,000bt in a Thai bank and get up to 3.5% Interest. A rate I couldn't get in the UK.

jpeg, on 03 Aug 2014 - 08:52, said:

Well, our countries are not emerging countries.

And if this country was deemed 'emerging' before, it is certainly not now it's regressing to Third World. Name one country being run by a military dictatorship that isn't Third World?

China!

Let me give you an example of running a business in Thailand under the radar. My sons were recently on a diving holiday in Phuket and stayed at a really nice apartment in Karon booked through. AirbnB. This is a global website designed to let you avoid hotel costs by booking apartments.

This condo with sea view was one of three owned by a Russian woman. The stay cost less than half what a high end hotel would charge and as the booking took place in cyberspace no funds ever entered Thailand.

However to manage the apartments the Russian owner needs to stay in Thailand on tourist visas doing regular runs.

That loophole is now closed.

The same applies to all the Farangs running bars etc .

Very few countries in the world will allow visa abuse and Thailand is closing the door and rightly so.

this is not illegal!! everybody can buy condos by law and it is also not against the law to rent it out, so why it is right that the owners of condos have problem to get to their propertys? Anyway if somebody owns a condo on his name they cant block him from entering Thailand, only if they can prove that the person brake the law, like working illegal or connected with crimes. 

easy court case, sue thailand for breaking investors rights, 

If the owner of the condos that are being rented out is not paying tax on the rental, then yes, it is illegal. For the owner to submit rent, they are admitting to working.

I've heard about these ghost schools but never seen or heard of any particular schools. It all seems very nebulous. I'm sure they exist but I don't think many westerners would sign up to them in great numbers. I know every now and then a school is busted and there is a footnote somewhere but it seems like the same argument as the one about foreign criminals. If it is really happening then you would think that it would be news. If it was westerners then there would be news on TV at the very least. I do a google search and it seems that every other country has a problem with ghost schools except for Thailand, at least in English. Would really appreciate someone pointing me to some (source) information as I'm wondering if it's a problem big enough to even mention in a news article.

Almost every school for learning Thai in Phuket practice ghosting. 

They even have people taking care of the 90 day visit to immigration for the stamp.

To point out verifiable information isn't possible as it is illegal and underground biz (the school can still be overground).

Edited by KamalaRider

starcatcher, on 03 Aug 2014 - 02:19, said:

Calach, on 02 Aug 2014 - 12:40, said:

Well, we don't accept it either when immigration rules are abused or exploited in our home countries, there's no reasons Thailand should be more lax.

Well, our countries are not emerging countries.

Well, at our countries foreigners can buy land

Well, at our countries foreigners are not that much underprivileged at court, police etc.

Well, at my country, i.e (Germany), foreigners with no money will participate from the social systems under many circumstances: unemployment benefits, child benefits, relief, free health insurance etc. We´re also in Thailand?

Well, I can go somewhere else, I don´t need Thailand - like many other people, too. Thailand also not need tourists and money coming into the country?

All kind of visas for Thailand are connected with pretty much money. But what do I get back from this country? I can tell you: for example being treated from many Asians like a second class human and a walking atm. Wow... great...

Always those unrealistic comparsions with western countries.

I live now nearly 10 years in Southeast Asia without leaving the area. And I made those experiences everywhere in SEA. Not with every Asian. But with many. Btw, that´s the reason, why I will leave next year. I want to have back at least some basic rights... and not fall down on my knees to beg for a visa therefore, I spend between $3,000 and 7,000 every month.

Nothing new. The Immigration Act has remained unchanged. The same rules applied when you first entered Thailand, those rules are just being enforced.

Everyone has freedom of choice. Abide by the rules or leave.............simple!

Only EU citizens can claim benefits in Germany. Thai's for example wouldn't be entitled to benefits.

I don't feel underprivileged in Thailand. I have never been treated with anything other than respect by Thai's............but maybe that's because I respect them.

They are Thai, not German, if you want to live in Thailand then you need to re-educate yourself, don't expect Thai's to change, it's their Country.

• Like 1

KamalaRider, on 03 Aug 2014 - 09:30, said:

horsewell, on 02 Aug 2014 - 13:03, said:

I've heard about these ghost schools but never seen or heard of any particular schools. It all seems very nebulous. I'm sure they exist but I don't think many westerners would sign up to them in great numbers. I know every now and then a school is busted and there is a footnote somewhere but it seems like the same argument as the one about foreign criminals. If it is really happening then you would think that it would be news. If it was westerners then there would be news on TV at the very least. I do a google search and it seems that every other country has a problem with ghost schools except for Thailand, at least in English. Would really appreciate someone pointing me to some (source) information as I'm wondering if it's a problem big enough to even mention in a news article.

Almost every school for learning Thai in Phuket practice ghosting. 

They even have people taking care of the 90 day visit to immigration for the stamp.

To point out verifiable information isn't possible as it is illegal and underground biz (the school can still be overground).

That doesn't make any sense.

Why would a school teaching Thai have any need to visit Immigration.

Are you suggesting foreigners teach Thai in Phuket?

now that they want to clamp down on those abuseing the system,what about the genuine ones like me,been spending money in Thailand for over 30yrs.

been married to the same one for 25yrs.

have never ever been in trouble here.

since I retired at 65,have spent my pension here.

yet I am treated the same as a criminal.

must report my whereabouts every 90days[that's the same as being on probation].

then every yr.i have to pay 1,900bht.for the privilege of living with my thai wife.

if I need a letter of proof of where I live its 500bht.please.

I am registered for tax in Thailand,yet one bank turned me down for a tax free savings acc.i do have 6million in that bank,the reason is because I am a FOREIGNER.with a perminant address.

• Like 1

You can be sure, the hot topic amongst intelligent Thais in the near future is going to be "perception management". And how in particular, not paying attention to it, can result is harsh unintended consequences. 

Meme's start and spread, many of them false or only partially true, but still they can gain currency, become viral and influence the decisions of millions of people. And once a perception has changed, good luck with trying to reverse it. It runs its course and is only primed for adjustment, when a more powerful meme is launched.

The present perception of Thailand is more or less that of a crazy, exotic, slightly corrupt, free and easy environment, populated with very friendly people, who are a big on a good time. This is not entirely true of course and is a bit of misrepresentation, by way of oversimplification. Horror stories, for example, all be they plentiful, don't gain much traction in the main perception. 

For example. online booking has revolutionised the way small hotels in particular treat their guests. My friend who has allergies booked into a small hotel in Singapore, only to find that she developed some kind of sensitivity to a mouldy smell in the room. The hotel staff begged and scraped and immediately offered to book her another room, in another hotel and even assist with transportation. Her last interaction was with the manager and was one in which he contritely offered every apology imaginable, before begging that she didn't leave a negative comment about their establishment. This system as you can imagine is very open to abuse.

For good or ill and perhaps with the very best of intentions, Thailand is unwittingly, unleashing an avalanche of ambassadors of bad will. True, false, half true, exaggerated and even unfair meme's have already begun. And they will reach a critical mass and new widely accepted perceptions of Thailand will emerge. Sadly, I doubt they will be complimentary. Defenders of the Kingdom can bark and growl as much as they like and point out inaccuracies and justifications. If anything, they will augment a new, less attractive image of Thailand. 

And don't think for a minute that what is going on, has been lost on Thailand's competitors. Like vultures they will target a vulnerable market. And it's not beneath them to discretely insert the odd knife in the back. After all business is business. 

But a more dangerous thing, is that if the tourist economy wobbles and five, ten or a hundred thousand newly impoverished Thais begin struggling to feed their families. How they will perceive that obese european tourist wobbling their way down the sidewalk in Nana? Or that ruddy faced retiree, enjoying a nice cold beer with half a dozen young ladies fawning over him? It could get ugly very quickly. Poverty does that.

The days of even the most seedy parts of town, being totally safe for tourists, could easily draw to a close. 

I am hopeful that the current perception of Thailand being a friendly, fun, safe and open destination - remains in place. If this valuable "cache" is fractured, the consequences could be devastating. Be sure that virtually all foreign investment in tourism has now ground to a halt as will have strategic investments in real estate etc. Investors are a very nervous lot.  

During one of Bali's tourism disasters, the place went dead. Amongst the worst hit was Lovina, a gorgeous seaside resort. I went there when there were literally no tourists, glum, dull and sad it was. Interestingly, instead of being more welcomed, the locals where so exasperated, that they took their frustration and anger out on us. We literally had to flee for our lives. I still remember the strained expression of a desperate young lady who screamed at us, why don't more of you come here!

You tell me? 

• Like 1

now that they want to clamp down on those abuseing the system,what about the genuine ones like me,been spending money in Thailand for over 30yrs.

been married to the same one for 25yrs.

have never ever been in trouble here.

since I retired at 65,have spent my pension here.

yet I am treated the same as a criminal.

must report my whereabouts every 90days[that's the same as being on probation].

then every yr.i have to pay 1,900bht.for the privilege of living with my thai wife.

if I need a letter of proof of where I live its 500bht.please.

I am registered for tax in Thailand,yet one bank turned me down for a tax free savings acc.i do have 6million in that bank,the reason is because I am a FOREIGNER.with a perminant address.

These are the kinds of stories, that are immensely - and one might say, quite rightly damaging to Thailand's image.

...and they could't put Humpty Dumpty back to together again. 

Looks like border country's such as Cambodia and loas shall profit from thailands mistakes

If they're smart, Cambodia will boom.

And good luck to them too. Maybe its their turn to get an increased share of tourist dollar.

I know for a fact the Balinese are already celebrating.   

Get a married visa and you only need 400.000baht, REALLY????
Having a Thai woman is more expensive and should be 4.000.000 (an extra zero)

my experience is the opposite, its far cheaper to be a family man than spending all my money on alcohol, going out and trying (or paying) to get laid every night

that's how i remember life before wife anyway :)

and bear in mind wife's can own their own income as well. mine does Edited by ColdSingha

Funny, we have slavery on the fishing boats and a downgrade from the US but the junta clamp down on tourists. Will we give slavery a priority? No.  Will we send the Thai Royal Navy out to check on fishing boats and to arrest those boat owners using slaves? No, our priority is to clamp down on tourists. One can imagine what is going to befall the country when its priorities are set like this.

• Like 1

Looks like border countries shall profit from these strict visa rules. I wish they would stop these harsh visa rules and be stricter on forangs connoting real crimes such as drug offences robbery extra

Be sure that virtually all foreign investment in tourism has now ground to a halt as will have strategic investments in real estate etc. Investors are a very nervous lot.  

this has already affected my business, and investment plans have been put on hold until things calm down and the attitude towards foreigners becomes more welcoming again

Thailand's loss right now is the UK's gain. I know others thinking the same, being prudent, keeping money on the sidelines or actively cashing out where possible Edited by ColdSingha

Funny, we have slavery on the fishing boats and a downgrade from the US but the junta clamp down on tourists. Will we give slavery a priority? No.  Will we send the Thai Royal Navy out to check on fishing boats and to arrest those boat owners using slaves? No, our priority is to clamp down on tourists. One can imagine what is going to befall the country when its priorities are set like this.

They are illegal immigrants tho if the problem is now with these visa ristrsfirions is that people in life have times when they have money and times when they don't

Now it's easy to say go home of you don't like it here but some of us have families here so what are we to do tell our wives and kids that we cannot afford to live with them anymore as the government has made it harder now

Having to show x amount in your bank for a marriage visa is crazy

Same with business visa it is expense after expense

If i did not love Thailand and thai culture then I would be crazy to put up with these rules but when Cambodia and load and the philipeans are sitting quietly on the fence waiting for thailand to push away it's golden income we look at thailand and cannot help but wonder why some people have it hard out here as at the end of the day

The people that they are trying to protect ( the Thais ) are going to be the ones that suffer the most
When families split up. When business start to decline

When internationally it gets a bad reputation

Shame
  • Like 1

The "Grace" period for overstayers still very much available.  2 year plus overstayer flew to Cambodia couple days ago after paying 20,000 Baht and as an interim measure obtained a Tourist Visa and was stamped back in no issues at all yesterday

Every Country has it's own Immigration Laws.

Thailand hasn't changed it's laws, just enforcing the laws already in existence.

Define a Tourist?

If your married and have family in Thailand then you should be on a Marriage Visa.

Sounds like the complainers are the ones who have taken advantage of the slack Immigration rules in the past.

Do you reside in Thailand..............Yes! Then your not a Tourist and shouldn't be using back to back Visa runs to remain.

Very easy to blame someone else for your own mistakes and ignorance.

An average tourist who wants to take a 2/3 week vacation twice a year isn't going to have any problems.

• Like 1

[quote name="jewell49" post="8190441" timestamp="1407023969"]

[quote name="DaveinAsia" post="8189701" timestamp="1406995210"]

[quote name="AsienExpat" post="8189679" timestamp="1406994700"]

[quote name="gbswales" post="8189637" timestamp="1406993806"]
 [quote name="Calach" post="8187113" timestamp="1406958032"]
Well, we don't accept it either when immigration rules are abused or exploited in our home countries, there's no reasons Thailand should be more lax.[/quote] 
speak for yourself I would like to see all immigration rules scrapped worldwide - that way populations could migrate to areas better able to support them - and it would level out the disparity of wealth between people in different countries.   I dont believe that any government should have the right to tell anyone where they can or cannot live - I would rather consider myself a citizen of the world[/quote]Absolutly. I demand also the free world. We live in times of globalisation, a smaller world were one can say something on the internet and the whole world can read and answer instantly. The internet is 2014, but the whole visa bs worldwide is absolutly stoneage. I hope we free and independent thinkers in the world win one day against the visa nazis.
 [/quote]
Love and peace bro
 [/quote]

Yes great guys then we would have all the 'western weathly nations ' populated with millions and millions of people who have nothing to offer and then the ' wealthy western nations ' would be your new third world, great system
 [/quote]

Not true. I not talked about that we have to give everybody who comes social welfare like it is today. I just talked about the right that everybody should be able to move easily without visa hassle everywhere in this world. If we wouldnt prohibited working for foreigners and considerm them as asylumseekers or illegals, we all would profit from this. No human can be illegal. Considering humans as illegal is perverted. How we could become poorer in the west if more workpower comes to our countrys? Not the foreigners make us poorer, the visa and asylum rules makes us poorer cause we not allow these people to work instead we support them with social welfare or make them illegal so that thay cant work in a normal taxed business.
  • Like 1

Thousands of foreigners living legally in Thailand are able to apply for work visas through their employers, or retirement visas if they are over 50 years old and can prove they have adequate finances. Others, particularly men, can live in the country on marriage visas.

These 3 categories of foreigners for whom Thailand offers "proper visas", namely - 1) expat workers with work visas 2) pensioners with retirement visas 3) others-men on marriage visas - seem simply don't cover the rest vast segment of foreign "property investors' who can definitely  be potential interesting for Thailand.

A rhetorical question: how people under 50, without Thai spouses, who bought houses in Thailand can spend holidays or simply stay here if they work distantly and not interested to start a business in Thailand? How such people can "use" their property? Is Thailand not interested in such foreign investments?

• Like 1

i hear more and more backpackers are spending most of their time outside of thailand now, especially phillipines (boracay,cebu). that is bad news for thailand 20 years from now.

many of those travellers who will be looking to settle in the future will have fond memories of SEAsian countries that are not thailand and are more likely to return elsewhere (dreams of retiring to the paradise they remember)

Thousands of foreigners living legally in Thailand are able to apply for work visas through their employers, or retirement visas if they are over 50 years old and can prove they have adequate finances. Others, particularly men, can live in the country on marriage visas.

These 3 categories of foreigners for whom Thailand offers "proper visas", namely - 1) expat workers with work visas 2) pensioners with retirement visas 3) others-men on marriage visas - seem simply don't cover the rest vast segment of foreign "property investors' who can definitely  be potential interesting for Thailand.

A rhetorical question: how people under 50, without Thai spouses, who bought houses in Thailand can spend holidays or simply stay here if they work distantly and not interested to start a business in Thailand? How such people can "use" their property? Is Thailand not interested in such foreign investments?

I would expect people that can afford to build houses  and buying condos in foreign countries. Also could afford a 5 year visa.

• Like 1

I would expect people that can afford to build houses  and buying condos in foreign countries. Also could afford a 5 year visa.

Just because someone can afford to buy a condo for 900,000 baht probably on a mortgage, would they really have 500,000 for a visa ?

• Like 1

Just because someone can afford to buy a condo for 900,000 baht probably on a mortgage, would they really have 500,000 for a visa ?

Yes, when they buy it in a country they are not allowed to live in otherwise.......

Well, my family can't afford elite card just now after investing 4+ mln in house in Thailand. That is the reason why we got a rhetorical question about proper visa for property investors.

Every Country has it's own Immigration Laws.
Thailand hasn't changed it's laws, just enforcing the laws already in existence.

Define a Tourist?

If your married and have family in Thailand then you should be on a Marriage Visa.
Sounds like the complainers are the ones who have taken advantage of the slack Immigration rules in the past.
Do you reside in Thailand..............Yes! Then your not a Tourist and shouldn't be using back to back Visa runs to remain.
Very easy to blame someone else for your own mistakes and ignorance.

An average tourist who wants to take a 2/3 week vacation twice a year isn't going to have any problems.

You say two trips of 2/3 weeks.

How about a tourist who want 3 trips of 4 weeks?

Or 6 trips of 4 weeks? There are many and they are genuine and legal and legally using the entry stamp as this is most convenient for them

Where is the magical line that separates the good tourist contributing to the Thai economy and the criminal abusing the system?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

since building our house almost 5yrs.ago how many exit and re-entry stamps in my passport NONE.

how many times have I visited immigration 26.and they still want to know where I live.at almost 70 I am not going anywhere as long as my wife is here and my dog,so it would be nice to be treated with a bit of dignity.

With all due respect, gain some perspective—ever heard of the phrase "don't sweat the small stuff"? I am sure your life is heavenly on the 300-plus other days of the year that you don't need to suffer at the hands of the torturous immigration officials.

BTW, this recent post may give you some insight into the view of "Westerners" that some officials might be used to.

Edited by tookwan cottage