Holiday in Thailand could end for expats

Got my yearly extension of my NON O RE resterday. Only new thing this year was that i had to sign a paper that i had read and understood the penalties for overstay. Otherwise same same easy.

• Like 1

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still waiting to read a post that contains some confirmed date of when the blacklisting is to start. People keep posting when they think it might start. Can't someone in immigration just tell everyone when ?
I have also asked if the mods can pin a thread and lock it with just confirmed press releases to save people trawling through pages of people slagging off over stayers etc. ? blink.png

Anybody that still stay in Thailand with a long overstay, and waiting for the last day to leave ;) is crazy.
Both you and your "friend" know about it. If not leaving now with all this info, I can't say I'm sorry if he get blacklisted Edited by larsjohnsson
  • Like 1

The title of the article should read "Holiday in Thailand could end for expats who VIOLATE Visa laws" clap2.gif   I say more power to the government in enforcing its visa laws, those expats who do not abide by them should be kicked out of the country thumbsup.gif  I just wish that the U.S. had leadership that would enforce our visa/immigration laws whistling.gif

bullshit.i never violated any law,for sure.i never was on overstay

Edited by kaobang

Well, we don't accept it either when immigration rules are abused or exploited in our home countries, there's no reasons Thailand should be more lax.

Exactly.

The large Russian community running business's in Phuket was a prime example of tourist visa abuse.

Thailand has tens of thousands of Farangs working under the radar and using so called visa runs.

For them the end is near and they do not have my sympathy.

Get the correct visa and you will have no problem with immigration.

Then rather than abolish entry stamps for the majority of people who are simply frequent visitors who like come to Thailand and stay in hotels and spend money and contribute to the economy and do nothing that isn't good for the country, why not just pay a visit to Russian businesses and demand to see work permits? Same goes for other illegal workers.

Talk about throwing out the baby with the bath water, but this crackdown is just plain dumb. Most people are perfectly legitimate, I know lots of people who visit many times a year and do nothing wrong. If they don't stay long enough to need a tourist visa, I.e., entry stamps are appropriate, then what exactly is the problem with that? I wish somebody would just say something half way sensible as an answer...just partially intelligent would do.

These people who visit several times a year on entry stamps didn't force the immigration officer to stamp their passport, that's what Thailand provides to short term visitors and there is no rule or guideline that says you can only have a certain number of these before you become branded as some kind of undesirable.

And by the way on the entry card that you fill out on the plane, tourism is the only appropriate answer I can see. I don't come on business, to work, to attend meetings, to get married. I stay in hotels, I go to restaurants, I go to bars, I go shopping. I do that several times a year in Thailand. So what is it that makes doing that once great, twice great, three times fine, four times fantastic, but suddenly, at five, say, or six, it becomes a terrible abuse?

How is it that if I visit, say, four times a year for 4 weeks each time I'm a tourist contributing to Thai GDP, but as soon as it becomes 5 or 6 times I'm no longer a contribution to the Thai economy's and instead am an abusive and undesirable criminal? Can someone answer that....in an intelligent way....by the way "just get the correct visa" isn't intelligent, before another dim wit says it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Hey Paddyjenkins,

Thank you for a well written and delightful read.  You have hit the nail on the head, and the only reason I can furnish is this:

There is no reasonable reason.

Several years ago I was in this type of conversation with an friend from Norway.

He stopped me in my tracks, and in a sense, set me free from worry, since the simplistic depth if his statement is irrefutable in Thailand.

Ready?

"When logic meets culture ... culture wins."

The title of the article should read "Holiday in Thailand could end for expats who VIOLATE Visa laws"    ...

Not really though. This is about people working here. Says so right in the article. Many, many people not violating visa laws but live here legally, (the term has always been "longstay tourists") are getting caught up in this. There needs to be no proof, only suspicion that the person may be working here in order to disallow entry. I feel sorry for the surely thousands of people that have moved here, have families and investments, who's lives are going the be torn apart. On the bright side, it'll get rid of a lot of the scum living here, which is a lot of people.

• Like 1

Surely it would be much better to have a resident visa - renewable annually for about 10,000Bht that placed only the following conditions

1) Accommodation in Thailand as a registered address

2) No rescourse to any form of public funding or support

3) No right to take paid employment though I dont see why voluntary work or study should be excluded (in fact these could be encouraged)

4) No criminal activity - including begging

Be nice if every country in the world did the same.  Freedom of movement I say. 

• Like 2

Many fun days ahead for the sadistic hateful Immigration offices--not naming one specific office where, to use a metaphor, they don't even clean the dust on their Buddhist alter but leave it caked with grime and dirt and dust--symbolic for sure. Many good jokes and fun experiences ahead for these wonderful lovely characters---and then I will also have to include the Thai officials working in the same offices as well. 

Well, we don't accept it either when immigration rules are abused or exploited in our home countries, there's no reasons Thailand should be more lax.

Exactly.

The large Russian community running business's in Phuket was a prime example of tourist visa abuse.

Thailand has tens of thousands of Farangs working under the radar and using so called visa runs.

For them the end is near and they do not have my sympathy.

Get the correct visa and you will have no problem with immigration.

Then rather than abolish entry stamps for the majority of people who are simply frequent visitors who like come to Thailand and stay in hotels and spend money and contribute to the economy and do nothing that isn't good for the country, why not just pay a visit to Russian businesses and demand to see work permits? Same goes for other illegal workers.

Talk about throwing out the baby with the bath water, but this crackdown is just plain dumb. Most people are perfectly legitimate, I know lots of people who visit many times a year and do nothing wrong. If they don't stay long enough to need a tourist visa, I.e., entry stamps are appropriate, then what exactly is the problem with that? I wish somebody would just say something half way sensible as an answer...just partially intelligent would do.

These people who visit several times a year on entry stamps didn't force the immigration officer to stamp their passport, that's what Thailand provides to short term visitors and there is no rule or guideline that says you can only have a certain number of these before you become branded as some kind of undesirable.

And by the way on the entry card that you fill out on the plane, tourism is the only appropriate answer I can see. I don't come on business, to work, to attend meetings, to get married. I stay in hotels, I go to restaurants, I go to bars, I go shopping. I do that several times a year in Thailand. So what is it that makes doing that once great, twice great, three times fine, four times fantastic, but suddenly, at five, say, or six, it becomes a terrible abuse?

How is it that if I visit, say, four times a year for 4 weeks each time I'm a tourist contributing to Thai GDP, but as soon as it becomes 5 or 6 times I'm no longer a contribution to the Thai economy's and instead am an abusive and undesirable criminal? Can someone answer that....in an intelligent way....by the way "just get the correct visa" isn't intelligent, before another dim wit says it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

That won't happen.

The criminals, illegals and abusers will always find their ways to stay through bribes, while genuine tourists will be scared away, threated like the worst criminals on earth not to carry a passport inside the sea while swimming or while they dared to come back to Thailand for more than 3 months a year (6 months every two years and you are already a suspected criminal, just because you spend more time and money in Thailand).

In few months we can expect a total economic collapse with widespread misery and a rampant rise of crime due to unemployment and the illegals still here 

• Like 1

To tell the same lie too many times, the day will come when the person telling the lie believes it to be the truth.

What is very similar to the above is that if someone is allowed to knowingly exploit rules and regulations, the day will surely come, when the laws are enforced that they will not be believed by the people exploiting them. Selective understanding at its best.

BTW, I do feel sorry for the ones that are just living here that have been caught up in this.......................wai.gif

The title of the article should read "Holiday in Thailand could end for expats who VIOLATE Visa laws" clap2.gif   I say more power to the government in enforcing its visa laws, those expats who do not abide by them should be kicked out of the country thumbsup.gif  I just wish that the U.S. had leadership that would enforce our visa/immigration laws whistling.gif

I am still waiting to read a post that contains some confirmed date of when the blacklisting is to start. People keep posting when they think it might start. Can't someone in immigration just tell everyone when ?

I have also asked if the mods can pin a thread and lock it with just confirmed press releases to save people trawling through pages of people slagging off over stayers etc. ? blink.png

"The new regulation of overstaying penalties is now under the procedure of approval by the Ministry of Interior."

Source: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/overstay.png

This means that the matter is now in the hands of the Ministry of Interior and immigration cannot at this point set a date for its entry into force. If and when this new rule is approved and the definitive version as approved is published, it will be included in the pinned topic Important Visa Information  --> Useful Immigration Information & Visa Descriptions --> Laws, Regulations, Police Orders, etc. In the meantime, this pinned topic includes a link to immigration's proposal of this draconian new policy.

There is this separate topic on the proposal to blacklist overstayers. Foreigners on overstay are advised to clear their overstay without delay.

Good article and interesting that a big media organisation has picked up on the visa 'crackdown' (or whatever you want to call it).

That said, I'm not sure that there is any real 'new' info here we haven't already read on Thai Visa.

Still an interesting read for a Saturday morning

It also couldn't be more soft-soaped compared to the statements inside the actual country.

i agree. i have never had a problem coming or going and 100% of my friends, colleagues and acquaintances never had problems staying as they followed the visa rules always. my wife and i are planning on retirement in phuket most likely. with all that i know first hand and read, the tightening or maybe better said enforcement of rules, the military ensuring better conditions like beaches taxis, clamping down on illegal land ownership, buildings, etc. makes it more attractive. im honestly shocked at how much many non thai just didnt follow the rules and yet while many of them complain, their home countries wouldnt allow overstaying, not paying taxes, etc.
  • Like 2

i agree. i have never had a problem coming or going and 100% of my friends, colleagues and acquaintances never had problems staying as they followed the visa rules always. my wife and i are planning on retirement in phuket most likely. with all that i know first hand and read, the tightening or maybe better said enforcement of rules, the military ensuring better conditions like beaches taxis, clamping down on illegal land ownership, buildings, etc. makes it more attractive. im honestly shocked at how much many non thai just didnt follow the rules and yet while many of them complain, their home countries wouldnt allow overstaying, not paying taxes, etc.