Holiday in Thailand could end for expats

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the OP it said "He had to cancel plans for a $6,000 medical operation and switch to a hospital in Singapore." Thats BS-- Thailand has been promoting Medical Tourism for years some hospitals will even arrange your flites and hotels for you so they would have had him apply for tourist visa and even if needed extension would have had medical eveidence from hospital . 

It is probably true he went to Singapore.  What is the visa for medical tourism in Thailand? Its a tourist visa right... and if you are having medical work that extends past your visa stay and then you need to stay or return back to finish for medical reasons you are going to be stopped from coming back into the country by immigration because you are  criminal?  There should be a  long stay visa for medical tourism.  Most hospitals do not have visa experts on staff. 

Medical tourism is about to crash in Thailand.  

Bumrungrad Hospital has its own Business Centre which takes care of visa extensions, 90 day reports etc etc

• Like 1

Bangkok was ranked the world's most visited city with nearly 16 million people travelling to the Thai capital, ahead of London and Paris

sorry but London had 28 millions visitors and Paris 26 millions ..... I wonder where they got their information .

You are properly right, but the new information in this article, is about the Ghost schools smile.png

The article said last years figures.. .Forbes has Bangkok as the winner for 2013. (in front of London & Paris) 

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/efik45iifi/most-visited-cities-in-the-world-2013-21/

I have tried a number of times to get retirement visa or marriage visa at our local Khon Kaen immigration office, my friend got it no problem he paid the sum of around 2,000 Baht, when I went with my wife I see 2 different officers on my 4 visits and they tell me 24,000baht and put their finger to their lips. I will not pay this scam. Now that we have the military & the NCPO is there a Percival number we can call to report this. Now that these laws are coming out I can only guess their prices will go up.
Any help.

I believe there is but at the moment I can't find it. Wouldn't you need to get the visa outside of Thailand or are you talking about an extension?

I've heard a lot about dodgy practices in Khon Kaen and I used to know someone who paid money under the table. I use KK as well but I've never had a problem. In the last year or so the atmosphere seems to have improved.

SO what is the real story? We own a condo and come for 4 months a year ( winter holiday) on double and /or triple entry tourist visas.

Is thailand now saying we can only stay 6months in 2 years? Kind of shooting themsleves in the foot arent they? Why would you force people to spend their money in other countries?

I  suspect there will be some real deals on condos etc, both for sale and to rent. And  a lot of bars and restaurants for sale... anyone who believes this visa crackdown isnt going affect tourism and the thai economy, has their head up their petooot...

How can they not see this is going to affect the economy big time.  The USA says that every dollar brought into an economy moves through the economy 17 times. The dollars or bahts spent at the hotel or bar don't just stop there. The bars and hotels they also buy goods and pay salaries of workers who then pay their bills and buy goods and then those people also spend the money and so on over and over....the stopping of tourism has to be a long term economic problem for Thailand.

• Like 2

I was on a visa run yesterday to Ventienne and there wee quite a few Overstays and NONE of them were refused a visa to return, out of the large group I was with the only issue to not get a visa yesterday was down to a paperwork issue from the guys school.

The officials at Nong Kai also just said from time to time to be aware of the new rules they are about to introduce and that overstay would be a problem .

Nobody was made to sign anything either to alnowledge the new rule.
  • Like 1

Nice scare mongering tactics from the op and a law office who advertise heavely on every English language website concerning everything Thailand and are very overpriced ,they must expect to make a lot of dosh in the next coming days.

And i call bs on the complaints in the op from that so called medical tourist.

• Like 2

"There are between half a million and one million foreigners living in Thailand, maybe more. No one actually knows," said George Anderssen, the CEO of Thaivisa.com

Unless Immigration and TaT are using MS Access on a laptop, I believe they could give you a much more exact figure than that, george. The problem is that any breakdown by visa status will expose the number of overstayers and that might cause some embarrassment for the people responsible for ensuring that foreigners leave Thailand by a specific date. 

In the end all it means is you have to do things properly and legally is that really so hard,, unless you have summt to hide.

I love Thailand,the people ,the food and the culture so nothing will stop me travelling there again or stop me trying to retire there legally.

In 20+ years of travelling to Thailand I have only ever had to do one visa run and that was early during the protests because I could not get a re-arranged flight home.

It appears whatever those in charge try to do and improve things there are always gonna be those that have a serious problem with it,my advice is be legal be happy in the Land of Smiles.

Best wishes to you all

• Like 2

There is nothing in this article that anyone with a modicum of intelligence should worry about, those that read the relevant laws and abide no problems, those that think because they either have loads of dosh or can do whatever they like, bye-bye. I have no sympathy for any of you, the writing has been on the walls for a while and yet they still think they can stay, one wonders how these peole whom seem to ;lack not on;y intelligence but commonsense have stayed for so long. 

He that uses random syllables instead of letters and cannot spell "people" should forgo casting aspersions reference the intelligence of others.

Sent from my iPigeon using a note tied to it's leg and wings app

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

No gambling allowed in Yhailand, but I bet, Bangkok will drop to number 3-5 next year.
Reason: all visa runners, who entry on tourist visas, up to 12 time a year, they will simply dissapear.

Next, actually a lot bigger problem:
When spread, and I will help (!), the new passport rule, will scare millions away. Yes millions!
Simply think you like to visit Thailand, maybe for the first time. And you get the information, you (and your whole family) can face 2 years in jail, not bringing your passport to the beach, shopping in Bangkok or in the late night party

I bet ;-)
If this law rules, forget about tourists! Maybe a drop 20-30%! 
Anyone of the junta reading this, think this over ;-)

And another 30% for the rule "no more than 6 months every 2 years"
If you have long winter holidays , because you have money to spend, you are unwelcomed in Thailand.
They don't want genuine tourists to come back or spend too much money, they want last minute tourists in an all-in 800 euros package, and never come back to Thailand.
If you have 20-30K euros to spend in 4-5 months winter holidays, you should pick another country, in Thailand they don't want you.
The only country in this planet where you are unwelcomed to come back as tourist. 

That passport rule was invented by the police so that they can steal money from tourists by extorting them. If the junta is serious about reforms, they need to get rid if rules like this which favour police corruption.

Can you people just STOP complaining about 'the new passport rule'???

There is nothing news! All foreigners AND all Thai need to be able to identify themselves in Thailand. This was always already the case!

IF you care to keep up to date, you would know that there is no problem.

Pls read the follow article in case you missed it: No need to worry says Bangkok Immigration Commander

• Like 2

Bangkok was ranked the world's most visited city with nearly 16 million people travelling to the Thai capital, ahead of London and Paris

sorry but London had 28 millions visitors and Paris 26 millions ..... I wonder where they got their information .

Impossible to compare Bangkok with London , London wins streets ahead for numerous reasons.... I love London just can't afford to have the same lifestyle as I do here in Thailand...

London has always been a magnet to the young , and always will be....

Paris is beautiful as well, but once again I prefer London....

This is all my preference we are all different...
  • Like 1

The title of the article should read "Holiday in Thailand could end for expats who VIOLATE Visa laws" clap2.gif   I say more power to the government in enforcing its visa laws, those expats who do not abide by them should be kicked out of the country thumbsup.gif  I just wish that the U.S. had leadership that would enforce our visa/immigration laws whistling.gif

Agreed. I came to Thailand in 2007, originally on a 1-year 'O' visa, during which time I volunteered as an English teacher, travelled, then later in the year found a paid teaching post.. of course when I got work I had to have the school's help to switch to an Non-Imm. B visa which allowed me to work, AND to get a work-permit.. since then, until this year when I found better paid teaching work outside Thailand, I have always had the proper documentation, Visa and WP, to be here living and teaching.. looking to the future, when my current contract runs out I'm very much hoping to return to Thailand once again and, yes, I fully intend to  make sure I both enter, and hopefully later can remain in, the country via correct and valid visas, and also attain anything else I'll need along my way.. as you say, 'more power to the government in enforcing its visa laws'.. after all, why would I wish to be here knowing I was existing in Thailand illegally, living 'under the radar' and therefore willfully violating Thai laws?.. I have no intention of leaving myself open to being 'picked up' at any given moment, and sent packing probably never allowed to return!! 'Holiday in Thailand could end for expats'?.. well maybe those who are panicking at what amounts to simple enforcement of sovereign laws, should stop treating their extended stay here like it's nothing more than a bit of a yarn, and those who allow their presence as no more than clueless Holiday Camp reps worthy only of their disdain and contempt... wai.gif 

I hope you actually have a degree in education if you want to return.  An ordinary degree is not enough now,

Well, we don't accept it either when immigration rules are abused or exploited in our home countries, there's no reasons Thailand should be more lax.

Exactly.

The large Russian community running business's in Phuket was a prime example of tourist visa abuse.

Thailand has tens of thousands of Farangs working under the radar and using so called visa runs.

For them the end is near and they do not have my sympathy.

Get the correct visa and you will have no problem with immigration.

Then rather than abolish entry stamps for the majority of people who are simply frequent visitors who like come to Thailand and stay in hotels and spend money and contribute to the economy and do nothing that isn't good for the country, why not just pay a visit to Russian businesses and demand to see work permits? Same goes for other illegal workers.

Talk about throwing out the baby with the bath water, but this crackdown is just plain dumb. Most people are perfectly legitimate, I know lots of people who visit many times a year and do nothing wrong. If they don't stay long enough to need a tourist visa, I.e., entry stamps are appropriate, then what exactly is the problem with that? I wish somebody would just say something half way sensible as an answer...just partially intelligent would do.

These people who visit several times a year on entry stamps didn't force the immigration officer to stamp their passport, that's what Thailand provides to short term visitors and there is no rule or guideline that says you can only have a certain number of these before you become branded as some kind of undesirable.

And by the way on the entry card that you fill out on the plane, tourism is the only appropriate answer I can see. I don't come on business, to work, to attend meetings, to get married. I stay in hotels, I go to restaurants, I go to bars, I go shopping. I do that several times a year in Thailand. So what is it that makes doing that once great, twice great, three times fine, four times fantastic, but suddenly, at five, say, or six, it becomes a terrible abuse?

How is it that if I visit, say, four times a year for 4 weeks each time I'm a tourist contributing to Thai GDP, but as soon as it becomes 5 or 6 times I'm no longer a contribution to the Thai economy's and instead am an abusive and undesirable criminal? Can someone answer that....in an intelligent way....by the way "just get the correct visa" isn't intelligent, before another dim wit says it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I am not affected (as of yet) by any of this 'crackdown' as I am on a 'O' visa... therefore I am little risk to lose in the current fiasco (until a harder - broader - deeper crackdown comes)... All I can say is I AGREE WITH THE POST I AM QUOTING... Guys like Paddy in previous times - only a few months ago perhaps - Did nothing wrong - even if they stayed for one year - two years or more... The Thai Government via the Thai Immigration Authorities - allowed it ... facilitated it, fostered it and kept it going for many many years ... Those who used Tourist visas and Exemptions for extended stay in Thailand did so with what is tantamount to De Facto Law created by the Government of Thailand acquiescing to not enforcing certain immigration laws - not even in the slightest - all done with a smile - stamp stamp stamp - Sawatdee Khrup ... Now certain self-righteous TVF members call them unsavory names... Such childishness ... One cannot abuse what was allowed by Thai Authorities in all respects... Perhaps - those who attended Thai schools and did not attend class might be considered abusers -- BUT Thailand allowed it too and still do - at least for a while...  Do you really think the authorities have not know the extent of ED visa use for all these years - really?  So - as you see - the Thai Authorities allowed it ... Now they Enforce it ... but those in the past did not abuse anything.. 

"There are between half a million and one million foreigners living in Thailand, maybe more. No one actually knows," said George Anderssen, the CEO of Thaivisa.com

Unless Immigration and TaT are using MS Access on a laptop, I believe they could give you a much more exact figure than that, george. The problem is that any breakdown by visa status will expose the number of overstayers and that might cause some embarrassment for the people responsible for ensuring that foreigners leave Thailand by a specific date. 

Actually they published overstayers figures a couple days ago. 

Luckily we are not yet to the point where immigration has to dedicate people to ensure we leave by the specified date, imagine going to 7-eleven you would have to always get some comfort item for the guy following you all the time. 

If it is correct and we are talking millions of visa offenders this would have an adverse effect on the economy should they all be kicked out .I would imagine the biggest offenders are neighbouring countries rather than westerners
  • Like 1

Well, we don't accept it either when immigration rules are abused or exploited in our home countries, there's no reasons Thailand should be more lax.

Exactly.

The large Russian community running business's in Phuket was a prime example of tourist visa abuse.

Thailand has tens of thousands of Farangs working under the radar and using so called visa runs.

For them the end is near and they do not have my sympathy.

Get the correct visa and you will have no problem with immigration.

Then rather than abolish entry stamps for the majority of people who are simply frequent visitors who like come to Thailand and stay in hotels and spend money and contribute to the economy and do nothing that isn't good for the country, why not just pay a visit to Russian businesses and demand to see work permits? Same goes for other illegal workers.

Talk about throwing out the baby with the bath water, but this crackdown is just plain dumb. Most people are perfectly legitimate, I know lots of people who visit many times a year and do nothing wrong. If they don't stay long enough to need a tourist visa, I.e., entry stamps are appropriate, then what exactly is the problem with that? I wish somebody would just say something half way sensible as an answer...just partially intelligent would do.

These people who visit several times a year on entry stamps didn't force the immigration officer to stamp their passport, that's what Thailand provides to short term visitors and there is no rule or guideline that says you can only have a certain number of these before you become branded as some kind of undesirable.

And by the way on the entry card that you fill out on the plane, tourism is the only appropriate answer I can see. I don't come on business, to work, to attend meetings, to get married. I stay in hotels, I go to restaurants, I go to bars, I go shopping. I do that several times a year in Thailand. So what is it that makes doing that once great, twice great, three times fine, four times fantastic, but suddenly, at five, say, or six, it becomes a terrible abuse?

How is it that if I visit, say, four times a year for 4 weeks each time I'm a tourist contributing to Thai GDP, but as soon as it becomes 5 or 6 times I'm no longer a contribution to the Thai economy's and instead am an abusive and undesirable criminal? Can someone answer that....in an intelligent way....by the way "just get the correct visa" isn't intelligent, before another dim wit says it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I am not affected (as of yet) by any of this 'crackdown' as I am on a 'O' visa... therefore I am little risk to lose in the current fiasco (until a harder - broader - deeper crackdown comes)... All I can say is I AGREE WITH THE POST I AM QUOTING... Guys like Paddy in previous times - only a few months ago perhaps - Did nothing wrong - even if they stayed for one year - two years or more... The Thai Government via the Thai Immigration Authorities - allowed it ... facilitated it, fostered it and kept it going for many many years ... Those who used Tourist visas and Exemptions for extended stay in Thailand did so with what is tantamount to De Facto Law created by the Government of Thailand acquiescing to not enforcing certain immigration laws - not even in the slightest - all done with a smile - stamp stamp stamp - Sawatdee Khrup ... Now certain self-righteous TVF members call them unsavory names... Such childishness ... One cannot abuse what was allowed by Thai Authorities in all respects... Perhaps - those who attended Thai schools and did not attend class might be considered abusers -- BUT Thailand allowed it too and still do - at least for a while...  Do you really think the authorities have not know the extent of ED visa use for all these years - really?  So - as you see - the Thai Authorities allowed it ... Now they Enforce it ... but those in the past did not abuse anything.. 

Exactly! De facto law! This is one of the few well-thought-out, intelligent comments on this subject. Indeed if something is tolerated, moreover encouraged for decades, then it becomes an accepted mode of operation, regardless of what the written law says. Those who have been following a previously accepted process should not be abruptly prosecuted or persecuted by the almighty TV senior members, who happen qualify for accepted long-term visas just because of their age, marital status, or financial position. I qualify because I have a degree in English education, but I know many who are better teachers than I am, who do not qualify under the letter of the law to get a non-B visa. And I sympathise most for those (under 55) who love Thailand and therefore choose to split their time between Thailand and their draconian homeland such as my United States.

Edited by jimpthai

I've read only the first two pages. Nobody seems to have noticed the real news in this story, which is that our very own George Anderson is a go-to interviewee by an international new organization when it comes to news about expats in Thailand.

In other words, TVF posters (the sensible ones, anyway) may have found a voice that could be reflected in the international media.

That's got to be a good thing?

T

The title of the article should read "Holiday in Thailand could end for expats who VIOLATE Visa laws" clap2.gif   I say more power to the government in enforcing its visa laws, those expats who do not abide by them should be kicked out of the country thumbsup.gif  I just wish that the U.S. had leadership that would enforce our visa/immigration laws whistling.gif

...and then you woke up

Never understood the draw to Bangkok anyway (well, for certain people, kitty and beer is all they think about) Personally I would MUCH rather spend my time visiting London or Paris than Bangkok anyday of the week, regardless of how much more expensive those cities are....I don't really find Bangkok has a whole lot of history either, the city is younger than New York, Philadelphia and even Boston....1782...I hate the smog, I hate the rush, I hate mostly everything about the godforsaken city, yet so many people love it....

• Like 2

You are properly right, but the new information in this article, is about the Ghost schools smile.png

I feel you're relying on a rather broad definition of the word "information" here. wai2.gif

There is nothing in this article that anyone with a modicum of intelligence should worry about, those that read the relevant laws and abide no problems, those that think because they either have loads of dosh or can do whatever they like, bye-bye. I have no sympathy for any of you, the writing has been on the walls for a while and yet they still think they can stay, one wonders how these peole whom seem to ;lack not on;y intelligence but commonsense have stayed for so long. 

rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif Got news for you, those with loads of dosh will be staying, no problem as ever. That's called Thai Elite card.
Get over your hate, save yourself aggravation. 

I know someone awhile back posted a disclaimer that even the elite card was subject to visa regulations. I don't have the link but it's burried somewhere here. However, I do agree that ppl with money will find a way.

[quote name="DaveinAsia" post="8189500" timestamp="1406991339"]

[quote name="VegasVic" post="8186756" timestamp="1406952933"]

The title of the article should read "Holiday in Thailand could end for expats who VIOLATE Visa laws" clap2.gif   I say more power to the government in enforcing its visa laws, those expats who do not abide by them should be kicked out of the country thumbsup.gif  I just wish that the U.S. had leadership that would enforce our visa/immigration laws whistling.gif[/quote]

Maybe they should have a coup too. Easy ppl, tongue in cheek...