Holiday in Thailand could end for expats

I would be more than willing to not whine about these new restrictions if this regime would crack down on these Immigration Officials who like to make their own rules and selectively enforce the parts of the Immigration laws that they deem to be important.  

We have to have a web site like TV  just because there is such a wide difference between offices and what they want

It is also true of overseas embassies and consulates, everybody wants to make their own rules.  Why should our British cousins have a retirement age that is different than us Americans ?  Why should Los Angeles and Chicago be allowed to require the notarization of documents submitted for an O-A long stay visa when New York Consulate and Washington Embassy don't have that requirement

Seems to me that that Thais should get their own act together before they come down on foreigners when it comes to following the rules 

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me give you an example of running a business in Thailand under the radar. My sons were recently on a diving holiday in Phuket and stayed at a really nice apartment in Karon booked through. AirbnB. This is a global website designed to let you avoid hotel costs by booking apartments.

This condo with sea view was one of three owned by a Russian woman. The stay cost less than half what a high end hotel would charge and as the booking took place in cyberspace no funds ever entered Thailand.

However to manage the apartments the Russian owner needs to stay in Thailand on tourist visas doing regular runs.

That loophole is now closed.

The same applies to all the Farangs running bars etc .

Very few countries in the world will allow visa abuse and Thailand is closing the door and rightly so.

I think you will find that people that have money, like condo and bar owners, will find a way to continue staying and making money in Thailand. Where's there a will, there's a way.

The ones that may have problems are the ones without means.

You can note this thread discussion and come back in one year, we'll see what had really happened by then 

• Like 1

In the OP it said "He had to cancel plans for a $6,000 medical operation and switch to a hospital in Singapore." Thats BS-- Thailand has been promoting Medical Tourism for years some hospitals will even arrange your flites and hotels for you so they would have had him apply for tourist visa and even if needed extension would have had medical eveidence from hospital . 

• Like 2

I would be more than willing to not whine about these new restrictions if this regime would crack down on these Immigration Officials who like to make their own rules and selectively enforce the parts of the Immigration laws that they deem to be important.  The Immigration officer in Hua Hin who started this week off with the false information that everyone must carry their passport with them at all times for instance 

We have to have a web site like TV  just because there is such a wide difference between offices and what they want

It is also true of overseas embassies and consulates, everybody wants to make their own rules.  Why should our British cousins have a retirement age that is different than us Americans ?  Why should Los Angeles and Chicago be allowed to require the notarization of documents submitted for an O-A long stay visa when New York Consulate and Washington Embassy don't have that requirement

Seems to me that that Thais should get their own act together before they come down on foreigners when it comes to following the rules 

That is the Thai flexible way of doing things. It has brought them to where they are now, that is not exactly despicable.

In my opinion, nothing of what you're asking will ever happen, you know there were people in this forum complaining about the same things one, five, ten years ago.  

Bangkok was ranked the world's most visited city with nearly 16 million people travelling to the Thai capital, ahead of London and Paris

sorry but London had 28 millions visitors and Paris 26 millions ..... I wonder where they got their information .

They may have got it from Forbes http://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewbender/2013/06/07/bangkok-tops-the-worlds-10-most-visited-cities/

No gambling allowed in Yhailand, but I bet, Bangkok will drop to number 3-5 next year.

Reason: all visa runners, who entry on tourist visas, up to 12 time a year, they will simply dissapear.

Next, actually a lot bigger problem:

When spread, and I will help (!), the new passport rule, will scare millions away. Yes millions!

Simply think you like to visit Thailand, maybe for the first time. And you get the information, you (and your whole family) can face 2 years in jail, not bringing your passport to the beach, shopping in Bangkok or in the late night party

I bet ;-)

If this law rules, forget about tourists! Maybe a drop 20-30%! 

Anyone of the junta reading this, think this over ;-)

The title of the article should read "Holiday in Thailand could end for expats who VIOLATE Visa laws" clap2.gif   I say more power to the government in enforcing its visa laws, those expats who do not abide by them should be kicked out of the country thumbsup.gif  I just wish that the U.S. had leadership that would enforce our visa/immigration laws whistling.gif

Agreed. I came to Thailand in 2007, originally on a 1-year 'O' visa, during which time I volunteered as an English teacher, travelled, then later in the year found a paid teaching post.. of course when I got work I had to have the school's help to switch to an Non-Imm. B visa which allowed me to work, AND to get a work-permit.. since then, until this year when I found better paid teaching work outside Thailand, I have always had the proper documentation, Visa and WP, to be here living and teaching.. looking to the future, when my current contract runs out I'm very much hoping to return to Thailand once again and, yes, I fully intend to  make sure I both enter, and hopefully later can remain in, the country via correct and valid visas, and also attain anything else I'll need along my way.. as you say, 'more power to the government in enforcing its visa laws'.. after all, why would I wish to be here knowing I was existing in Thailand illegally, living 'under the radar' and therefore willfully violating Thai laws?.. I have no intention of leaving myself open to being 'picked up' at any given moment, and sent packing probably never allowed to return!! 'Holiday in Thailand could end for expats'?.. well maybe those who are panicking at what amounts to simple enforcement of sovereign laws, should stop treating their extended stay here like it's nothing more than a bit of a yarn, and those who allow their presence as no more than clueless Holiday Camp reps worthy only of their disdain and contempt... wai.gif 

Edited by spectrumisgreen
  • Like 1

Oh come on!
Is there any other country in the world where you could enter as a tourist with no visa and repeatedly exit and re-enter as many times as you wanted?
Answer - no!
All Thailand is doing is getting up to speed with what others already do.Get used to it and get a Visa if you need one. Leave when you have to and apply again if you need to.

What's so complicated about that?

Answer- yes!

Do a little research mate.

Not saying Thailand doesn't have the right to make any rules they like.

But sick of people spreading false information that only Thailand had/has liberal visa rules.

Rather than target people on tourist visas or people who come on visa except multiple times surely be easier to have regular checks on businesses in the large cities. Then they can target the people they are after. People working without the proper visa. I think there are enough Police to do this. Seems daft to stop the people who have money to visit who are not married or over 50. But I think they are targeting nationals from Asian countries more than Europeans etc.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Oh come on!
Is there any other country in the world where you could enter as a tourist with no visa and repeatedly exit and re-enter as many times as you wanted?
Answer - no!
All Thailand is doing is getting up to speed with what others already do.Get used to it and get a Visa if you need one. Leave when you have to and apply again if you need to.

What's so complicated about that?

There are plenty of countries with accommodating visa laws Cambodia and the Philippines are easy options, plenty of people in Vietnam using back to back 3 month tourist visa's. 

• Like 1

I have tried a number of times to get retirement visa or marriage visa at our local Khon Kaen immigration office, my friend got it no problem he paid the sum of around 2,000 Baht, when I went with my wife I see 2 different officers on my 4 visits and they tell me 24,000baht and put their finger to their lips. I will not pay this scam. Now that we have the military & the NCPO is there a Percival number we can call to report this. Now that these laws are coming out I can only guess their prices will go up.
Any help.
  • Like 2

No gambling allowed in Yhailand, but I bet, Bangkok will drop to number 3-5 next year.

Reason: all visa runners, who entry on tourist visas, up to 12 time a year, they will simply dissapear.

When spread, and I will help (!), the new passport rule, will scare millions away. Yes millions!

Simply think you like to visit Thailand, maybe for the first time. And you get the information, you (and your whole family) can face 2 years in jail, not bringing your passport to the beach, shopping in Bangkok or in the late night party

I bet ;-)

And another 30% for the rule "no more than 6 months every 2 years"

If you have long winter holidays , because you have money to spend, you are unwelcomed in Thailand.

They don't want genuine tourists to come back or spend too much money, they want last minute tourists in an all-in 800 euros package, and never come back to Thailand.

If you have 20-30K euros to spend in 4-5 months winter holidays, you should pick another country, in Thailand they don't want you.

The only country in this planet where you are unwelcomed to come back as tourist. 

Edited by max72
  • Like 2

I bet ;-)

And another 30% for the rule "no more than 6 months every 2 years"
If you have long winter holidays , because you have money to spend, you are unwelcomed in Thailand.
They don't want genuine tourists to come back or spend too much money, they want last minute tourists in an all-in 800 euros package, and never come back to Thailand.
If you have 20-30K euros to spend in 4-5 months winter holidays, you should pick another country, in Thailand they don't want you.
The only country in this planet where you are unwelcomed to come back as tourist. 

That passport rule was invented by the police so that they can steal money from tourists by extorting them. If the junta is serious about reforms, they need to get rid if rules like this which favour police corruption.
  • Like 1

After reading this article, foreigners from any country should obey and follow Thailand's immigration law for tourist and retiree's.

I'm sure there are thousands of veteran expats, who frankly can't afford to return to their native countries. Furthermore, some expats don't have a home to return too.

On a related topic, the article discussed the expat Cambodian community; however, the Thai Immigration department nor the current military government. . . don't communicate with the 500,000 + Myanmar illegal aliens throughout Thailand.

Eventually, these folks must be repatriated. Perhaps, their contribution to the Thai economy e.g., cheap labor makes their repatriation less important that western expats.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Expats live here, so not a holiday.

Well yes and no.

The term 'expat' is used quite loosely in Thailand, everything from retirees, to people posted here from abroad by multinationals etc., with work permits provided (the sole meaning of the term in many countries), folks employed in country with and without work permits, and folks who scrape by financially and come and go on visa runs.

But I agree, the term 'on holiday' doesn't really fit the discussion and is misleading.

There is nothing in this article that anyone with a modicum of intelligence should worry about, those that read the relevant laws and abide no problems, those that think because they either have loads of dosh or can do whatever they like, bye-bye. I have no sympathy for any of you, the writing has been on the walls for a while and yet they still think they can stay, one wonders how these peole whom seem to ;lack not on;y intelligence but commonsense have stayed for so long. 

SO what is the real story? We own a condo and come for 4 months a year ( winter holiday) on double and /or triple entry tourist visas.

Is thailand now saying we can only stay 6months in 2 years? Kind of shooting themsleves in the foot arent they? Why would you force people to spend their money in other countries?

I  suspect there will be some real deals on condos etc, both for sale and to rent. And  a lot of bars and restaurants for sale... anyone who believes this visa crackdown isnt going affect tourism and the thai economy, has their head up their petooot...

• Like 2

or retirement visas if they are over 50 years old and can prove they have adequate finances.

yeah try and get a non O visa in the UK now...without a STATE pensionblink.png ........not an easy route, you are now requested to apply for a NON O-A with police clearance certificates and in many cases a personal interview , so much for get the right visa they are easy

I didn't have a pension when I came here on a non imm 'O'or 'O-A' but I was lucky enoufgh to have  sufficient funds at the time. A subject access report was £10 a couple of years ago. Not q problem unless you have a criminal record. If that's the  case you could always try 'well we let in your criminals' smile.png

I know this is only enforcing laws already in place but since Thailand has ignored them for so long I think a more helpful approach might be in order. This might affect expats who have family here.

Am I missing something here? It seems getting rid of most of these overstayers or people looking to illegally stay by skirting the law
or finding ways around the law is a great thing. Sure there are probably a lot of descent people just looking to find a cheap paradise who will get the door slammed on them but I think the numbers of malcontents is much greater.
  • Like 1

In the OP it said "He had to cancel plans for a $6,000 medical operation and switch to a hospital in Singapore." Thats BS-- Thailand has been promoting Medical Tourism for years some hospitals will even arrange your flites and hotels for you so they would have had him apply for tourist visa and even if needed extension would have had medical eveidence from hospital . 

It is probably true he went to Singapore.  What is the visa for medical tourism in Thailand? Its a tourist visa right... and if you are having medical work that extends past your visa stay and then you need to stay or return back to finish for medical reasons you are going to be stopped from coming back into the country by immigration because you are  criminal?  There should be a  long stay visa for medical tourism.  Most hospitals do not have visa experts on staff. 

Medical tourism is about to crash in Thailand.  

• Like 1

Looks pretty clear cut to me.

where do you get your figures from ?

attachicon.gifTop-20-destinations-chart.jpg

This is for 2014,, Bangkok is ranked no 2 behind London.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/deborahljacobs/2014/07/31/the-20-most-popular-cities-in-the-world-to-visit-in-2014/

Either way, Bangkok is one of the major cities in the world for tourism for sure.

Why do we put up articles like this?

It is an opinion, not a truism.

It is only written to promote panic and  this site,

I agree.

It is only fair that the Thai authorities enforce the law fairly,

The question is, are those regulations "fair" 

If my "mother" country imposed similar restrictions on Thai 's residing there, then there would be an outcry and cases put to the European Court for Human Rights. 

I only ask for reciprocation!

It is about time (I suspect a f****ing long time) that a sensible, fair and transparent set of regulations be put in place.

It is time that Thai's put and end to legislation bases on xenophobia!

• Like 1

There is nothing in this article that anyone with a modicum of intelligence should worry about, those that read the relevant laws and abide no problems, those that think because they either have loads of dosh or can do whatever they like, bye-bye. I have no sympathy for any of you, the writing has been on the walls for a while and yet they still think they can stay, one wonders how these peole whom seem to ;lack not on;y intelligence but commonsense have stayed for so long. 

rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif Got news for you, those with loads of dosh will be staying, no problem as ever. That's called Thai Elite card.

Get over your hate, save yourself aggravation.