Colloidal Silver

Lobo4819

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some snake oil if you can't find this crap.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/consumer-health/expert-answers/colloidal-silver/faq-20058061

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/PhonyAds/silverad.html

Manufacturers of colloidal silver products often claim that they are cure-alls, boosting your immune system, fighting bacteria and viruses, and treating cancer, HIV/AIDS, shingles, herpes, eye ailments and prostatitis. However, no sound scientific studies to evaluate these health claims have been published in reputable medical journals. In fact, the Food and Drug Administration has taken action against some manufacturers of colloidal silver products for making unproven health claims.

It's not clear how much colloidal silver may be harmful, but it can build up in your body's tissues over months or years. Most commonly, this results in argyria (ahr-JIR-e-uh), a blue-gray discoloration of your skin, eyes, internal organs, nails and gums. While argyria doesn't pose a serious health problem, it can be a cosmetic concern because it doesn't go away when you stop taking silver products.

Rarely, excessive doses of colloidal silver can cause possibly irreversible serious health problems, including kidney damage and neurological problems such as seizures. Colloidal silver products may also interact with medications, including penicillamine, quinolone, tetracycline and thyroxine medications.

Edited by Chicog

Try this source for the equipment to make your own - http://www.sota.com...

or http://www.bobbeck.com/

I am still very uncertain about all of this . I have recently been diagnosed with a particularly bad type of cancer and a friend lent me his machine for the purification of blood. The machine also make collodial silver . I remain a sceptic especially when it advises you drop all other medications but out of desperation i may try it eventually . If you are going to kiss the world goodbye then what does it matter if it is conventional or alternative cures you use.

Best of luck

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/consumer-health/expert-answers/colloidal-silver/faq-20058061

Manufacturers of colloidal silver products often claim that they are cure-alls, boosting your immune system, fighting bacteria and viruses, and treating cancer, HIV/AIDS, shingles, herpes, eye ailments and prostatitis. However, no sound scientific studies to evaluate these health claims have been published in reputable medical journals. In fact, the Food and Drug Administration has taken action against some manufacturers of colloidal silver products for making unproven health claims.

It's not clear how much colloidal silver may be harmful, but it can build up in your body's tissues over months or years. Most commonly, this results in argyria (ahr-JIR-e-uh), a blue-gray discoloration of your skin, eyes, internal organs, nails and gums. While argyria doesn't pose a serious health problem, it can be a cosmetic concern because it doesn't go away when you stop taking silver products.

Rarely, excessive doses of colloidal silver can cause possibly irreversible serious health problems, including kidney damage and neurological problems such as seizures. Colloidal silver products may also interact with medications, including penicillamine, quinolone, tetracycline and thyroxine medications.

The benefits of colloidal silver and gold (ormus) have only been known for a few thousand years... Please do try to keep up...

The benefits of colloidal silver and gold (ormus) have only been known for a few thousand years... Please do try to keep up...

As were the "benefits" of using lead containers in which to cook food and to heat wine in order to give them a sweeter taste................but we know differently now!

And of course penicillin, quinolone, tetracyclines etc weren't around a few thousand years ago......Please do try to keep up.

No idea why the Mayo clinic is so negative on silver?

I have used various colloidal/ionic silver products for over 10 years now. Mostly for spraying on skin surface for various reasons, including: burns, itchy skin, itchy eyes, pimples, infections, rash etc. I seldom take it internally as I do not know for sure if it negatively affects the benefical gut bacteria.

The product made in Thailand I mentioned in my earlier post I have been using for about 1 1/2 years now. I find it mildly effective for the above conditions if used repeatedly on clean skin (wash first). The absolutely best product by far I have found is made in Florida http://www.silver100.com/ I used it for several years when I lived in Canada with excellent results, but have had problems getting it into Thailand (customs, and the company owner is a bit of a character to deal with) so have been using local products which are ok, but as I mentioned I have to apply several times a day to get decent results.

I "Googled" around to try and get some "valid" and credible sources of info for those interested below.

You have to scroll down to find this section for lots more info - Doug

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2935806/

5. TOPICAL SILVER PREPARATIONS

The medical uses of silver date back to at least the time of Hippocrates (the “father of modern medicine” [133]), who in his writings discussed silver’s role in wound care. By the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, surgeons routinely used silver sutures to reduce the risk of postoperative inflammation and infection [134]. During World War I, soldiers used silver leaf to limit and treat battle wound infections [135]. Silver fell into disuse around World War II due to the advent of antibiotics. Interest in the antimicrobial properties of silver was only reinvigorated in the year 1965 by Moyer who published a paper on silver nitrate’s antibacterial effects [39]. Today, silver has reemerged as a clinical treatment for the prevention and treatment of infections encountered in wounds, ulcers, and burns [136]. ...

source is "US National Library of Medicine"

Wiki starts off slamming health uses for silver (perhaps to pacify BigPharma?) then further down....

Water purification

Electrolytically-dissolved silver has been used as a water disinfecting agent, for example, the drinking water supplies of the Russian Mir orbital station and the International Space Station.[46] Many modern hospitals filter hot water through copper-silver filters to defeat MRSA and legionella infections.[47]:29 The World Health Organization includes silver in a colloidal state produced by electrolysis of silver electrodes in water, and colloidal silver in water filters as two of a number of water disinfection methods specified to provide safe drinking water in developing countries.[48] Along these lines, a ceramic filtration system coated with silver particles has been created by Ron Rivera of Potters for Peace and used in developing countries for water disinfection (in this application the silver inhibits microbial growth on the filter substrate, to prevent clogging, and does not directly disinfect the filtered water).[49][50][51]

Mechanism of action

Silver and most silver compounds have an oligodynamic effect and are toxic for bacteria, algae, and fungi in vitro. Among the elements that have this effect, silver is the least toxic for humans. The antibacterial action of silver is dependent on the silver ion.[7] The effectiveness of silver compounds as an antiseptic is based on the ability of the biologically active silver ion (Ag+) to irreversibly damage key enzyme systems in the cell membranes of pathogens.[7] The antibacterial action of silver has long been known to be enhanced by the presence of an electric field. Applying an electric current across silver electrodes enhances antibiotic action at the anode, likely due to the release of silver into the bacterial culture.[52] The antibacterial action of electrodes coated with silver nanostructures is greatly improved in the presence of an electric field.[53]

...History

Hippocrates in his writings discussed the use of silver in wound care.[66] At the beginning of the twentieth century surgeons routinely used silver sutures to reduce the risk of infection.[66][67] In the early 20th century, physicians used silver-containing eyedrops to treat ophthalmic problems,[68] for various infections,[69][70] and sometimes internally for diseases such as tropical sprue, epilepsy, gonorrhea, and the common cold.[10][12][71] During World War I, soldiers used silver leaf to treat infected wounds.[66][72]

Prior to the introduction of modern antibiotics, colloidal silver was used as a germicide and disinfectant.[73] With the development of modern antibiotics in the 1940s, the use of silver as an antimicrobial agent diminished.[45] Silver sulfadiazine (SSD) is a compound containing silver and the antibiotic sodium sulfadiazine, which was developed in 1968.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_uses_of_silver

Conclusion

The goals of burn treatment are (1) promotion of wound healing, (2) maintenance of patient comfort and (3) rapid return of the patient to preburn function. Most burn victims are treated as outpatients. Dressings are changed daily using bacitracin (Baciguent) or silver silvadene and pain is controlled with narcotics. The patient is encouraged to remain active during healing. Wounds that require more than three weeks (two for children) to heal should be considered for early skin grafting to reduce healing time, minimize scarring and functional outcome.

http://www.regionshospital.com/rh/regionsdirect/burn-center/no-ice-no-butter.html

Medications
  • Antimicrobial ointments (such as silver sulfadiazine, mafenide, silver nitrate, and povidone-iodine) are used to reduce risk of infection. Bacitracin may be used for first-degree burns. One study found that parrafin gauzes are valuable for superficial burns while silver based dressings are preferable for deep burns.

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/burns

Anyone whose ever taken a good microbiology class has probably done the experiment using (when I did mine) a silver dime (U.S. 10 cent coin, no longer available) or a piece of silver placed on a petri dish covered with a healthy e-coli colony, and seen the results 2-3 days later with a cleared space around the dime free of live coliform bacteria. The e-coli were killed by the anti-bacterial action of the silver. No question about that. Proof positive. Repeated scientific test results. But...

... it has never been 'proven' in scientific controlled testing to be effective when taken internally for anything. Externally, fine. Internally... who knows? Lots of folks believe that it does work, and there is a lot to be said for a positive mental attitude in health care. But ya really gotta believe...

Edited by FolkGuitar

As have the benefits of trepanation, which is what I assume that people that believe in this mumbo jumbo must have had done.

Anyone whose ever taken a good microbiology class has probably done the experiment using (when I did mine) a silver dime (U.S. 10 cent coin, no longer available) or a piece of silver placed on a petri dish covered with a healthy e-coli colony, and seen the results 2-3 days later with a cleared space around the dime free of live coliform bacteria. The e-coli were killed by the anti-bacterial action of the silver. No question about that. Proof positive. Repeated scientific test results. But...

... it has never been 'proven' in scientific controlled testing to be effective when taken internally for anything. Externally, fine. Internally... who knows? Lots of folks believe that it does work, and there is a lot to be said for a positive mental attitude in health care. But ya really gotta believe...

There are lots of things that kill bacteria. It doesn't mean that you should drink them.

smile.png

There are lots of things that kill bacteria. It doesn't mean that you should drink them.

smile.png

I never said you should. I said 'lots of folks believe that it does work,......'

Personally, I think it is effective medical treatment only externally.

smile.png

Very true and a couple that are in many folks houses include Dettol and Bleach, not to mention Benzalkonium Chloride which is found in many antibacterial skin preparations (eg. hand sanitizers).

Edited by xylophone

• 2 months later...

Colloidal silver has many non-pharmaceutical uses, particularly in botany. The OP didn't say he wanted to ingest it, and his avatar suggests he may be interested in horticulture, such as breeding orchids.

No idea why the Mayo clinic is so negative on silver?

I have used various colloidal/ionic silver products for over 10 years now. Mostly for spraying on skin surface for various reasons, including: burns, itchy skin, itchy eyes, pimples, infections, rash etc. I seldom take it internally as I do not know for sure if it negatively affects the benefical gut bacteria.

The product made in Thailand I mentioned in my earlier post I have been using for about 1 1/2 years now. I find it mildly effective for the above conditions if used repeatedly on clean skin (wash first). The absolutely best product by far I have found is made in Florida http://www.silver100.com/ I used it for several years when I lived in Canada with excellent results, but have had problems getting it into Thailand (customs, and the company owner is a bit of a character to deal with) so have been using local products which are ok, but as I mentioned I have to apply several times a day to get decent results.

I "Googled" around to try and get some "valid" and credible sources of info for those interested below.

You have to scroll down to find this section for lots more info - Doug

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2935806/

5. TOPICAL SILVER PREPARATIONS

The medical uses of silver date back to at least the time of Hippocrates (the “father of modern medicine” [133]), who in his writings discussed silver’s role in wound care. By the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, surgeons routinely used silver sutures to reduce the risk of postoperative inflammation and infection [134]. During World War I, soldiers used silver leaf to limit and treat battle wound infections [135]. Silver fell into disuse around World War II due to the advent of antibiotics. Interest in the antimicrobial properties of silver was only reinvigorated in the year 1965 by Moyer who published a paper on silver nitrate’s antibacterial effects [39]. Today, silver has reemerged as a clinical treatment for the prevention and treatment of infections encountered in wounds, ulcers, and burns [136]. ...

source is "US National Library of Medicine"

Wiki starts off slamming health uses for silver (perhaps to pacify BigPharma?) then further down....

Water purification

Electrolytically-dissolved silver has been used as a water disinfecting agent, for example, the drinking water supplies of the Russian Mir orbital station and the International Space Station.[46] Many modern hospitals filter hot water through copper-silver filters to defeat MRSA and legionella infections.[47]:29 The World Health Organization includes silver in a colloidal state produced by electrolysis of silver electrodes in water, and colloidal silver in water filters as two of a number of water disinfection methods specified to provide safe drinking water in developing countries.[48] Along these lines, a ceramic filtration system coated with silver particles has been created by Ron Rivera of Potters for Peace and used in developing countries for water disinfection (in this application the silver inhibits microbial growth on the filter substrate, to prevent clogging, and does not directly disinfect the filtered water).[49][50][51]

Mechanism of action

Silver and most silver compounds have an oligodynamic effect and are toxic for bacteria, algae, and fungi in vitro. Among the elements that have this effect, silver is the least toxic for humans. The antibacterial action of silver is dependent on the silver ion.[7] The effectiveness of silver compounds as an antiseptic is based on the ability of the biologically active silver ion (Ag+) to irreversibly damage key enzyme systems in the cell membranes of pathogens.[7] The antibacterial action of silver has long been known to be enhanced by the presence of an electric field. Applying an electric current across silver electrodes enhances antibiotic action at the anode, likely due to the release of silver into the bacterial culture.[52] The antibacterial action of electrodes coated with silver nanostructures is greatly improved in the presence of an electric field.[53]

...History

Hippocrates in his writings discussed the use of silver in wound care.[66] At the beginning of the twentieth century surgeons routinely used silver sutures to reduce the risk of infection.[66][67] In the early 20th century, physicians used silver-containing eyedrops to treat ophthalmic problems,[68] for various infections,[69][70] and sometimes internally for diseases such as tropical sprue, epilepsy, gonorrhea, and the common cold.[10][12][71] During World War I, soldiers used silver leaf to treat infected wounds.[66][72]

Prior to the introduction of modern antibiotics, colloidal silver was used as a germicide and disinfectant.[73] With the development of modern antibiotics in the 1940s, the use of silver as an antimicrobial agent diminished.[45] Silver sulfadiazine (SSD) is a compound containing silver and the antibiotic sodium sulfadiazine, which was developed in 1968.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_uses_of_silver

Conclusion

The goals of burn treatment are (1) promotion of wound healing, (2) maintenance of patient comfort and (3) rapid return of the patient to preburn function. Most burn victims are treated as outpatients. Dressings are changed daily using bacitracin (Baciguent) or silver silvadene and pain is controlled with narcotics. The patient is encouraged to remain active during healing. Wounds that require more than three weeks (two for children) to heal should be considered for early skin grafting to reduce healing time, minimize scarring and functional outcome.

http://www.regionshospital.com/rh/regionsdirect/burn-center/no-ice-no-butter.html

Medications
  • Antimicrobial ointments (such as silver sulfadiazine, mafenide, silver nitrate, and povidone-iodine) are used to reduce risk of infection. Bacitracin may be used for first-degree burns. One study found that parrafin gauzes are valuable for superficial burns while silver based dressings are preferable for deep burns.

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/burns

Only for the incredibly GULLIBLE !

Try this source for the equipment to make your own - http://www.sota.com...

or http://www.bobbeck.com/

I am still very uncertain about all of this . I have recently been diagnosed with a particularly bad type of cancer and a friend lent me his machine for the purification of blood. The machine also make collodial silver . I remain a sceptic especially when it advises you drop all other medications but out of desperation i may try it eventually . If you are going to kiss the world goodbye then what does it matter if it is conventional or alternative cures you use.

Best of luck

Investigate max gerson, and watch the film Dying To Have Known, it's available online no problems. You might also visit chrisbeatcancer's website. Good luck.