Oz passport!

Hi guys Kirsty here :)

Short and quick question. 

My Oz passport will expire next year and I'll need to get a new one!

What do I need to do?  Will I need other supporting documents other than my Passport ?

Do I just contact the Aus embassy in Thailand and inform them about my situation?

Or..... Do I actually have to return home? (I don't plan on going back to Oz for a while) and hope I won't need toOoo..

That is only needed for a lost, stolen or the first passport. Everything after the box that says "Full Application" is for those.

You should get your new passport at least 6 months early. If on one year extensions of stay you will need a year of validity remaining on your passport when you apply or your extension will only be done to the date it expires.

I'm having problems with the 'renewal application' process. It keeps saying the information is incorrect for some reason. I'm CLEARLY filling all the blanks with the correct information required. This is all too confusing ARGHH!

Edited by kirstymelb101

It is incredibly straightforward kirstymelb101. Just go into the Aust. embassy on Silom Rd and the Thai staff at the counter on the first floor speak fluent English—you fill in the form they give you, pay the fee, and hand over your passport and suitable passport photos. You then have the option of having it mailed to you or picking it up from the Embassy—the latter is typically the best option.

• Like 1

It is incredibly straightforward kirstymelb101. Just go into the Aust. embassy on Silom Rd and the Thai staff at the counter on the first floor speak fluent English—you fill in the form they give you, pay the fee, and hand over your passport and suitable passport photos. You then have the option of having it mailed to you or picking it up from the Embassy—the latter is typically the best option.

Really? Last time I went to the AUS Embassy they didn't allow anyone inside , strangely enough the security guard at the gate said no one's allowed to enter. If possible, could you please tell me the exact address !! It says 37 Sathorn road on the website, it's the same place u went to right?  Maybe I went to the wrong place............

Edited by kirstymelb101

I did mine about a year ago.

Point to note... Australia is very particular about the dimensions and quality of your pp pic. If not according to stated specs, you will have to redo it.

In Phuket, Larry Cunningham ( the previous Consul) directed me to the photography shop that does pics for Oz passports. No issue at all.

It is incredibly straightforward kirstymelb101. Just go into the Aust. embassy on Silom Rd and the Thai staff at the counter on the first floor speak fluent Englishyou fill in the form they give you, pay the fee, and hand over your passport and suitable passport photos. You then have the option of having it mailed to you or picking it up from the Embassythe latter is typically the best option.

Really? Last time I went to the AUS Embassy they didn't allow anyone inside , strangely enough the security guard at the gate said no one's allowed to enter. If possible, could you please tell me the exact address !! It says 37 Sathorn road on the website, it's the same place u went to right?  Maybe I went to the wrong place............

Check the passport office hours. They are generally short from memory but no appointment is needed. Just tell the guards you see there to do a passport. But bring along all the required evidence.

It is incredibly straightforward kirstymelb101. Just go into the Aust. embassy on Silom Rd and the Thai staff at the counter on the first floor speak fluent Englishyou fill in the form they give you, pay the fee, and hand over your passport and suitable passport photos. You then have the option of having it mailed to you or picking it up from the Embassythe latter is typically the best option.

Check the passport office hours. They are generally short from memory but no appointment is needed. Just tell the guards you see there to do a passport. But bring along all the required evidence.

Thanks , Samran! Do you know if my current passport is all I need when going to the Embassy? Or do I need OTHER forms of I.D from Oz aswell. Like my drivers license.. Home address details.. etc..

Edited by kirstymelb101

Thanks , Samran! Do you know if my current passport is all I need when going to the Embassy? Or do I need OTHER forms of I.D from Oz aswell. Like my drivers license.. Home address details.. etc..

Simple answer is yes. But exactly what you need is on the Australian embassy website.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Having the expired passport isn't enough proof of identification in order to obtain a new one? 

You need extra proof. I've renewed my OZ passport at the Aust. Embassy Sth. Sathorn Road three times.

First time I had to present an official birth certificate copy, issued by the births & deaths registry in my home town. I called them, it was quite easy and it arrived at my condo in BKK by post within a few days.

The birth certificate plus new photos endorsed on the back is basically all the OZ Bkk embassy wanted. But check the website for the photo size, background colour etc., and there is a list of who can endorse the photos, and they are strict about the photo specs. Pretty easy to find someone who can endorse.

Second and third renewals I applied on line (no need for birth certificate, always lodged).

Call the embassy, they are friendly and helpful. If you plan to visit them check their working times before you go.

On every occasion the new passport has arrived within 5 to 7 days after renewal submitted.

Good luck.

Edited by scorecard

If you read the link you liked before it says:

Applicants must bring the following with them to the passport interview:

• Completed one-page Renewal Form available at www.passports.gov.au

• Current Australian passport

• Three passport photos (guidelines regarding size, colour, etc are listed on the website).

• Cash fee payable in Thai baht.

• Like 2

A word of warning when you get photos taken. Note dimensions on web site but mine were rejected because I had what they they interpreted as slight smile.That is forbidden and I was sent to a nearby photographer and a paid twice as much as I did in Chiang Mai. The prefer that you look like you have been dead for 3 days. Apart from that it was an easy process and the new passport was posted (registered) to me 7 days later.

Security is tight in that massive building occupied by a few people but that's the world we live in I guess.

• Like 1

My wife is a naturalised Australian citizen and, from memory, they needed to see her citizenship certificate as well as the old passport, photos etc last time she renewed at the embassy. The other comments about photos are correct. Mine were rejected because they were too light, even though I had just used to the same photos for a Chinese visa.

Sent from my Slate 21 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My wife is a naturalised Australian citizen and, from memory, they needed to see her citizenship certificate as well as the old passport, photos etc last time she renewed at the embassy. The other comments about photos are correct. Mine were rejected because they were too light, even though I had just used to the same photos for a Chinese visa.

Sent from my Slate 21 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm also a naturalized citizen. Why would you need to show your birth certificate when renewing your passport if you already have clear PROOF of citizenship? I have no idea where my birth certificate is. On the website it doesn't request to see your birth cert, for the renewal process.. Arghhh!! 

• Three passport photos (guidelines regarding size, colour, etc are listed on the website).

This is exactly how the process was for me, no need for additional ID.

This is exactly how the process was for me, no need for additional ID.

Thanks! I hope you're right :)

"They are generally short from memory ...

Seems a fairly generous period of time for consular services. Maybe the O/P went there on a holiday or he got the wrong entrance for Consular Services. Most embassies, I believe, close down for both Thai and their own national holidays.

The Consular Services Section is open from 0830-1600 hours Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).

Passport applications can be lodged between 8.30am and 12.00pm on weekdays.

If you would like to speak with a consular officer please call the Embassy on
02 344 6300 during business hours and follow the prompts to be connected to Consular Services. We may not be able to answer your call immediately as we also assist clients at our counter, and outside the Embassy, but please leave a message for us and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can. Alternatively, e-mail us at [email protected]

Edited by Suradit69

[quote name="Suradit69" post="8191584" timestamp="1407043593"][quote name="samran" post="8189092" timestamp="1406984792"] [quote name="kirstymelb101" post="8188960" timestamp="1406983152"] [quote name="tookwan cottage" post="8188841" timestamp="1406981795"]It is incredibly straightforward kirstymelb101. Just go into the Aust. embassy on Silom Rd and the Thai staff at the counter on the first floor speak fluent Englishyou fill in the form they give you, pay the fee, and hand over your passport and suitable passport photos. You then have the option of having it mailed to you or picking it up from the Embassythe latter is typically the best option.[/quote]Really? Last time I went to the AUS Embassy they didn't allow anyone inside , strangely enough the security guard at the gate said no one's allowed to enter. If possible, could you please tell me the exact address !! It says 37 Sathorn road on the website, it's the same place u went to right?  Maybe I went to the wrong place............[/quote]
 [/quote]
"They are generally short from memory ...

Seems a fairly generous period of time for consular services. Maybe the O/P went there on a holiday or he got the wrong entrance for Consular Services. Most embassies, I believe, close down for both Thai and their own national holidays.

The Consular Services Section is open from 0830-1600 hours Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays). Passport applications can be lodged between 8.30am and 12.00pm on weekdays.
If you would like to speak with a consular officer please call the Embassy on
02 344 6300 during business hours and follow the prompts to be connected to Consular Services. We may not be able to answer your call immediately as we also assist clients at our counter, and outside the Embassy, but please leave a message for us and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can. Alternatively, e-mail us at [email protected]

[/quote]

That's right, they close up at 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand